Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Airline experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 26, 2017
Working as a contractor was very rewarding. I worked on a small project but loved the interaction and overall culture. The company is very structured in all its operations, functions, etc. and was refreshing to have clear direction and expectations. Great place to work!
Pros
GREAT PAY, great people, wonderful culture
Cons
Corporate location by Love Field - traffic
Rich in culture but hard to promote
Employee Relations Specialist/Operations (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2017
Great company, executive leaders are and are humble. You will work hard but you'll play hard too. Work side by side with some of the kindest ppl you'll ever meet and fly for free. Hard to get promoted bc most ppl don't leave their good positions,can run into the good ol boy system.
Used to be a great company
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2017
The company it self is not bad. However poor management on the local level. Most Co workers are bitter and don't want to help or deal with new hires. You can not speak up for your self either.
Pros
Free flights, great benefits
Cons
Poor Local management, no work life balance.
Best company ever.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 24, 2017
I was a customer service associate for Southwest in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was by far the best work experience I've ever had. The company culture is positive and encouraging.
Pros
Free travel for yourself and family.
Provo (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2017
Always great to go to plus if you wanted to travel you can. Hours are ok depending on what you are looking for and the employees are good but there's a few people not willing to help out if needed.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Lazy people
Best place to work for.
Project Manager/Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 24, 2017
The Luv culture is excellent. work/life balance is excellent as well. I enjoyed every minute of the day at SWA, coworkers, management etc was excellent. would want to become a permanent part of SWA
Typical Day at Work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 24, 2017
 Transfer customer baggage & cargo from Aircraft to Aircraft and / or passenger terminal and protects it’s against weather, lost, theft and damages.
 Operates and drives motorized equipment such as belt loaders, air start units, lift truck, tugs, bag carts, and de-icing units.
 Completes paper work and forms connected with work assignments pertaining to procedures & enter into company’s information system as required.
 Work outdoors in all types of whether conditions, around loud aircraft & machinery.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Insurance
Great benefits
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Several citiesApril 22, 2017
Overall good company. Shifts worked depends on seniority. So less seniority gets you less likely shift and days off. But lots of flexibility because agents can work for each other.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Southwest Airlines jovial atmosphere
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2017
Handled incident support tickets daily. Code fixes after recreating bug on test system.
Learned . Sabreview native SAAS query language, BMC Remedy incident, change request and service request
Management was very supportive
Fun work place culture
Hardest part was the P1 tickets after hours and on weekends
Most enjoyable is when we got to go to the State Fair on holiday
Pros
Fun employee lunches
Cons
long after hours support work
Wonderful company that treated their employess with respect
Customer service, Operations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2017
Planning and executing flight procedures. Work with flight crew to safely board the aircraft, problem solve for delays and passenger challenges. gave the utmost customer service.
Pros
free flights, 401k, profit dharing, health benefits
Great Work Culture
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2017
Really good place to work with thee type of colleagues you have around, you can complete any type of task in specified time without any huddle d
overall fun place to work
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2017
During my years with Southwest, I never hesitated to miss a day, the flexibility with scheduling was great, a typical day at work was booking reservations with clients to travel, I created a ratpor with customers. The management was above and beyond happy and made our work days happy. The hardest part of the job was working with the travel agents who made it difficult when they pushed and did not take not available for an answer.
Pros
fun events
Cons
shift bids
fast work paced
Ramp Agent/Baggage Handler (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2017
hard work , very fast paced during flight time to meet an on time departure, heavy lifting loading and unloading baggage , freight and mail. pushback of aircraft to and from gate
Pros
employees are well taken care off
Cons
heavy work load
Southwest airlines rocks
Airworthiness Directives Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2017
Southwest airlines rocks! its a great place to work. I was an intern there and really enjoy the flight benefits. Everyone there is very nice and a pleasure to work with
Southwest is an excellent Airline as an Employer
Reservations Agent/Shop Steward (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 17, 2017
I only have great things to say about Southwest. Their management
has always tried to help employees further themselves. It is a
great environment to work in.
Pros
All Management will try to help Employees succeed.
Cons
I only wish I could still be there.
loved job
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2017
I worked very hard for Southwest Airlines. The pay was horrible and they would juniored you all the time, meaning they could extend you 4 hours no questions asked. After two years there I think I got a .50 cent raise and my hours were like 5:30 in morning to 1pm. My final pay was 8.96 per hour. Job was exciting but not worth it for me.
Pros
fun, exciting, busy
Cons
pay
Productive and encouraging work culture
Customer Relations Executive Office (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2017
I love SWA, even if it is in a stressful work environment at times, I love the people, our leaders and our culture. The deck parties on Mondays are great, the benefits of being able to fly to any of our locations is also wonderful.
Pros
culture, parties, leaders, and co hearts
Cons
Scheduling
Good advancement opportunities
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2017
I learned a lot about the aviation industry working for this company. Met a lot of great people who love what they do and overall the atmosphere makes the work day a breeze.
Pros
great health insurance, profit sharing, 401k match up to 8.3%, free flights
Cons
heavy workload majority of the time which in turn puts a lot of strain on your body
Severe pay problems
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 7, 2017
I like the company but for it to be a multimillion dollar company they can't seem o get the pay correct. Checks were always incorrect on the short side not over payments.
Pros
Flight benefits, medical, dental, etc....
Cons
Low pay and inconsistancies
fun but hard
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2017
they work you harder than needed. the hours are terrible. its a seniority job so the older workers really don't care cause they feel they did it before so you should be able to.
Pros
chill work
Cons
time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5