Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Productive, compassionate and fun loving enviroment
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 5, 2013
Funny, there is not a 'typical' day with the airline industry! Every day has weather, operational or security issues on both sides of the country that will effect the ontime performance. Flexibility becomes your middle name! Fortunately, my co-workers are truly the heart of Southwest! As a supervisor, we were able to assist, rebook and find accomdations when the challenges hit the fan all the while wearing smiles and extending sincere compassion. Southwest Airlines culture is lengendary throughout the industry! Pot lucks, dress up days, employee birthday recognitions are monthly events! Southwest provides great opportunities with the other departments for all employees. Truly the most enjoyable part of the job for me, was the interaction with the Passengers! All Passengers have a travel story - happy or sad! I am honored to have been part of their lives, if only for a brief time.
Pros
full flight benefits, able to make significant money, great co-workers, uniforms provided, 401k, health insurance, other airline flight benefits, applied golden rule.
Cons
weather, operational and security challenges affecting flights.
Great company to work for providing travel opportunities, unsurpassed benefits and work flexability.
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2013
Arrive at airport, check in at Base, review any new safety issues or changes in proceedures. Report to gate, board plane and perform pre-flight safety checks. Greet boarding passengers, assist with any passengers having special needs. Provide outstanding customer service to all passengers on board. Communicate with your crew members at all times.

Safety proceedures on the aircraft as well as daily compliance with all FAA standards. Communication with your co-workers is key to a successful flight.

Reserve Months are always difficult as you have no set flights and scheduling may call you with a flight detail, you must report to the airport within two hours from the time the call is received to begin your assignment.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was always meeting new people, visiting with our passengers and taking care of our passengers with special needs.
Pros
free travel on airline passes, great benefits, meeting interesting people.
Cons
reserve months and commuting to your base when you live out of base.
Amazing Career Experience
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuq, NM and SeaTac, WASeptember 9, 2013
There were never 2 days the same and I absolutely loved the opportunity to work for Southwest Airlines! I have always enjoyed being at the airport, any airport since I was about 5 years old. I remember telling my Father that I wanted a job washing the airplanes!! Some of my daily duties would include checking in and assisting passengers onboard their flights if needed. I also would book trips and sell tickets for future travel. Southwest Airlines has a very "open" policy when it comes to any suggestions from employees that can make Southwest better. I left with about 13 yrs. and sometimes really miss the "SWA family" as I got along and had a lot of fun times with both Management and peers. The hardest part of the job was probably having delays and on occasion, cancellations....not a very happy time for passengers and I felt so bad when it would interfere with families vacations or special occasions. I will always miss Southwest Airlines and have many good friends to this day from the few cities I worked at and I believe that is the hardest part of working at Southwest Airlines....the people!
Amazing work place, great culture and customer service
Customer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 26, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful company to work for. They care about everyone from the CEO to the wheelchair pushers. They were very involved with the community. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of things such as the Ronald McDonald House, Kidd's Kids, Habitat for Humanity etc. I learned so much about Customer Service and how to keep them happy and coming back. Managers are great about mentoring and encouraging employees to promote within the Company. There was so much opportunity to be able to promote or learn about different jobs. I held so many hats while I was there and it was such a valuable experience for business and personal life. I do miss Southwest so much, but I needed to leave to be able to be with my family more often. My husband is military and between training and deployments I felt like it was important for me to be home on the weekends and nights with our children, that was not possible while working with Southwest. Shift work was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits, ability to promote and grow
Cons
shift work
Outstanding culture, diverse people, fantastic benefits and life long friends.
Pilot Crew Scheduler II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2015
Southwest Airlines has a company built on a foundation of Customer Service and core values such as a Warrior Spirit, Fun Luving Attitude and a Servants Heart. Working at Southwest Airlines days were often very long and flexibility was a must, however I was hired to just be myself and make sure that I worked as a team to accomplish a positive customer experience both internally and externally while having fun. My favorite part of the job was being able to walk into a mess and make it right for the customers and employees. My least favorite part of the job was the particular positions that I held were operational so I was unable to attend the culture events that a 9am- 5pm employee had the benefit of attending, however Southwest made it possible for their employees to send a little bit of the LUV even in the Operational positions through the company culture committee.
Pros
Fantastic Benefits, culture, flexibility people and wages.
Cons
Long hours, high stress during inclement weather
Best company culture, awesome benefits, incredible and inspiring people!
Product Innovation Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Wouldn't trade my time at Southwest for the world! LUVed every second of it.

I was an intern and had the ability to work on projects with senior leaders from beginning to end. The work is fun and the work environment is unbeatable. The benefits of working here as an intern surpass any benefits I have ever seen at another company. The workload is fun, your coworkers are always eager to teach you something new, there are deck parties with music and free food every Monday and last but not least....free flights to anywhere in the country!!! The recruiters really care about your success in the position. They spend a lot of time determining where you would best fit, and they're always right! After my internship ended, my coworkers were eager to write positive recommendation letters and lots of people got hired! (unfortunately I had to return to school)
Pros
Free unlimited flights, awesome people, great culture, free food and fun events!
Cons
can only work from Dallas, other than that- NOTHING!
Worked for one of the top-ten companies as listed in most business magazines
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Based in Dallas, Phoenix, Oakland, Las VegasMarch 31, 2015
Working for Southwest Airlines for 30 years was a very enjoyable experience. As a Flight Attendant you have to be courteous, polite, and flexible. If and when you have a medical emergency or emergency landing, you have to keep yourself together. I had my fair share of emergencies and you have to remain calm, going through your emergency procedures, as well as briefing the passengers on what the situation is. I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with hundreds of different people in a day. Your constantly walking up and down the aisle checking on passengers. You also have the duty of taking care of the flight crew (pilots). It's very hard work, but rewarding. The best part of flying was over-nighting in different cities and sightseeing if it wasn't snowing, raining, or the weather had changed. Working with my co-workers was also a bonus.
Pros
Great flight benefits on SWA as well as other airlines
Cons
Long work days covering the United States
Great peers
Cs&s (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 15, 2015
Working at Southwest was a dream come true. In 2011 the company was very much about its people, and its famous luv culture. I worked in the contact center in Albuquerque, NM. Its very much like being a part of a family. Management on the other hand had moved on and started to be more corporate, as directed by Dallas, and became cold and uninterested in the employee, and their unions needs. They turned the reservations centers into Sales, requiring we sell addition services and products. Even if the customer advised they didn't want any "Sales Pitches." The environment became hostile, it was them versus us. I loved helping people get to where they needed to be and connect them to what matters most to them, their loved ones and business. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who have an issue with how the company works, and operates. Essentially trying to please a customer that someone at my level has no control over or ability to change anything.
Pros
Free Flights, CoWorkers
Cons
Low Pay, Sexist, Over Worked, Favortisim
SAP HR
SAP Business process consultant (Current Employee) –  irvingFebruary 16, 2014
outhwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) is a major U.S. airline and the world's largest low-cost carrier, headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The airline was established in 1967[2] and adopted their current name in 1971.[3] The airline has 44,831 employees as of December 2013 and operates more than 3,400 flights per day.[4] As of June 5, 2011, it carries the most domestic passengers of any U.S. airline.[5] As of January 2014, Southwest Airlines has scheduled service to 89 destinations in 42 states and Puerto Rico.
Southwest Airlines has solely operated Boeing 737s, except for a few years in the 1970s and 1980s, when they operated a few Boeing 727s. As of August 2012, Southwest is the largest operator of the 737 worldwide with over 550 in service, each operating an average of six flights per day.[4] In May 2011, Southwest acquired AirTran Airways, with integration of the carriers expected to be complete by 2014.[6] On March 1, 2012, the company was issued a single operating certificate, technically becoming one airline.
Productive and fun place to work. Everyday is different and exciting.
Ticket Agent and Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Tx.January 18, 2012
The best place that I have ever worked. The atmosphere was always up (at least amongst the employees and for the most part amongst the passengers too). As large as we became (from when I started there July 1979 and ended in September 2000) it remainded a very family oriented company. Herb and Colleen were the best motivators that SWA has ever had (they along with meany others were the back bone of the airline) and I feel so blessed to have been able to learn as much from them about what it means to be a great customer service representative as well as a good human being. I knew them both personally as well as on the job. They inspired me to want to be the best and taught me how to win over people in general as well as for SWA. I love them both to this day, January 18, 2012.
Pros
profit sharing, 401k, fly free, full health benefits and much more...
Cons
dealing with upset passengers, due to irregularities out of swa's control.
Very different from what I expected.
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 8, 2015
Came in at a time when the company was undergoing major changes in its culture and philosophy. Southwest was founded on the principle of putting employees first, but it is shifting its emphasis toward one that places shareholder and investor interests above all else. A major merger with another airline was also underway at the time I hired in, and that has contributed to the cultural changes.

I work with a good group of fellow aircraft mechanics who genuinely look out for one another. We have blend of really good supervisors who are highly respected along with some who don't have any business being in any kind of management position whatsoever.

There is no typical day. Each day poses its own set of challenges which is good. That's the enjoyable part. It's not an assembly line. The hardest part of the job is working in cramped spaces and in adverse weather conditions.
Pros
Industry leading pay
Cons
Odd shifts and days off
Delivering Customer Service with a positive attitude
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2013
Provided customer complaint resolution, sale and upgrade sales of service, providing air, car and hotel arrangements for travelers, scheduling new routing in the event of plane delay or natural causes, authorization of monetary compensation to passengers, relocation of misplaced items on plane or baggage, resolution of escalated customer care complaints.

I learned excellent customer service skills. This environment was team player orientated. We all worked together.

It was great to be able to turn a not so happy customer into a satisfied happy customer.

The customers were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest was when the airports were closed and we could not get travelers out during that time.

The management was awesome. Southwest is an excellent company to work for.
Pros
the customers and my fellow employees
Cons
airport shutdowns
Very productive and fun loving place, never get bored.
Aircraft Sr. Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2015
every day is a challenge day, move airplanes to gate as fast as I can with safe condition. Full all compliane prior to aircraft return to service. Very motivated people to work with, superb company and nice and great environment. Learn fuselage skin repair, flight control rigging trouble shooting, engine rigging and trouble shooting, pretty advance knowledge in all ATA codes, handle all daily issues related to aircraft. Very cooperative coworkers to work with and work as a team player. the hardest part of my job is to move the plane with minimum interval of time with full compliance. The most enjoyable part of my job is a fun loving environmet with party every week to see each others regarding company standing and forthcoming events.
Pros
nice family oriented environments, good benifets, proverb coworkers
Cons
high medical and no stocks options
Stressfull but fun workplace with upbeat co-workers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 5, 2015
Handling passengers on a daily basis face to face and focusing on their needs to make sure they are happy with their whole experience.

I've learned to be patient and keep calm, with many situations can turn badly while in the airline industry.

My co-workers are what makes my job easier to go into everyday. Always smiling and laughing and making the day go by.

Dealing with the passengers that are not satisfied and can be very up front at some times. Keeping your cool, and professionalism in providing the best customer service to your capability to do what is best for them.

Seeing smiles on the passengers faces when we or I have done something to make their day. Wither, getting them out on an earlier flight to be with family, or just having a general conversation with them about nothing!
Pros
Health and Flying beneifts
Cons
Work schedule and never off on weekends.
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST AIRLINE I HAVE WORKED FOR, HANDS DOWN
MAINTENANCE CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 30, 2012
I had the privileged to work for SOUTHWEST AIRLINES for 14 years before retiring. One will be hard pressed in finding another company like SOUTHWEST that cares and takes a personal interest in each and every employee. Companies around the globe aspire to operate in the ways Southwest Airlines has in regards to its people and its culture but find it difficult, enjoying little to no success in discovering the mystical cohesive forces that build a company strong from the ground up, this is what SOUTHWEST has mastered. The secret is in its people and its people are SOUTHWEST!!! If you want to be a part of a team, grow in ways unimaginable and be a part of something that's real, this is where you go. It simply doesn't get much better than this!
Pros
the people, the culture, the benefits, the pay, the work environment, the stability
Cons
there are no cons
Great company for the Right people
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 18, 2015
I love this company and am sad to have had so many roadblocks for advancement. The people are wonderful, the culture is amazing, the compensation is okay but you can 'fly for free' which has also been a lot harder the last couple of years.

I have been in the same position for long enough to run the joint, however my attempts to move around in the department and outside the department have been thwarted.

I am a top performer and work extremely hard and diligently when I am doing my job. I go outside of my realm to help those around me and my customers. I have been working so hard and yet have not been promoted and that is why my rating is lower.

For interns coming in, you have no idea what opportunity you are being given. I worked outside this company for enough years to know it's a wonderland. Please take advantage of your opportunities given by management.
Great Work Place
Pilot/Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I came to SWA with aircraft 6 and retired 30 years later at age 60 with 535 A/C. I chose to come back to work at SWA after 6 years of play.
I love the job and am able to contribute 30 years of line experience to all pilots I train. Each day I come to work I always run into a pilot who was a F/O of mine at one time in his career.

I work 21 days/month. The airline is in such expansion that our work schedule can vary from 5:30 am check ins to 9:30 pm ones.
The CAE simulators are FFD with fabulous graphics. I am an AQP-V Evaluator so I give approximately 7 Maneuvers Observation rides per Month as part of the 3 day AQP events. I also teach new hires and Capt. upgrades.

I love the fact that I am currently up to date with Aircraft systems, ATC, LNAV/VNAV, Seat Currency, Security training, and International.
Pros
Ultra modern equipment and class rooms
Cons
Monthly schedules affecting my body clock
Try's to conceal there true corporate greed and misguided management decision through a employee culture that is just a facade.
Operations agent. (Current Employee) –  SJC,LAS,OAK,PDX.April 2, 2013
Don't be fooled into thinking the monthly birthday cake celebrations and all the other culture window dressing is anything more then too much cheap food coloring. This company will throw a witch hunt at the drop of a hat. Watch your back every day. " know your company!" Ironically that is the very language they use in there, it's a matter of respect training. It's good advise. If you stick around long enough you will learn the game and the characters. After 11yrs of service at marginal pay. You will finally earn a livable wage, which they will try to take from you at any opportunity. Good luck and remember have fun!
Pros
decent health care 401k
Cons
constant blame shifting within middle management to avoid addressing any real problems.
Excellent company to work for
Project/Program Manager (Contractor) - Technology (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2015
Southwest Airlines (SWA) is an excellent company to work for. The atmosphere is unparallelled in my experience, and I have never seen the commitment and support that I received at any other company that I have worked for. Management was both supportive and appreciative of their employees efforts, trusting them to be professional and to do the job, rather than punch a clock. SWA has clearly stated long term goals and growth strategy but, like every company, their are days that are challenging. That said, it is truly a team effort and everyone pulls together to get the job done. Also, management always recognizes their teams efforts and rewards them appropriately.
Pros
Great atmosphere, team work and company culture
Cons
Everyone starts with two weeks vacation - no exceptions
Trend-setting, innovative, profitable airline that I'm proud to represent.
Flight Attendant/Purser (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2012
Southwest Airlines, Inc. has a world-class reputation for its low fares, outstanding customer service, and company culture. I am proud to be a part of a leading airline that believes in putting their employees first! Our customers are second to none and most are loyal to our airline! It is always a pleasure interacting and being encouraged to get to know our customers so that they enjoy their flying experience. As we all know, traveling may sometime be stressful and can bring up unexpected surprises. I feel lucky to be a part of a team that only hires the best and who fits the Southwest way: Servant's heart, warrior spirirt, and Fun-loving attitude!
Pros
travel benefits, flexibility, great company, industry leader
Cons
sometimes very little time to take a break

4.5