Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Great place
Configuration Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2017
Great place to work. Advancement opportunities are there, but are even harder to get then even getting hired on in the first place. The benefits are awesome. 100% 401k match up to 9.2% of your contributions, and then there is profit sharing on top of that.
Productive and work place to be . great benefits
Ground Operations (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2017
the best company ever. southwest airlines the most profitable company in the airlines industries. southwest airlines connects people to what important in their lives
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
no cons
Good
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  BNANovember 17, 2017
It was really awesome. I liked it a lot. I wish I could go back. Our break room was amazing. I met some really true friends that I hope to keep for a lifetime.
Good
Productive a fun atmosphere to work in
Crew Scheduler III (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 14, 2017
I loved my tenure at Southwest Airlines. My fellow employees are top-notch! The benefits provided by the company are second-to-none. I believe that Southwest Airlines takes care of their employees as well as their paying customers!
Great Pay
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2017
Very flexible work shifts, great benefits, and excellent pay. Great thing about the Airline business is the downtime. We work hard and fast paced when we are working, but because we work in gates by flights, we have an even amount of downtime.
Cons
Always stressed that your job is on the line if you make a mistake
Great Benefits but no career advancement
Source of Support (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2017
Career advancement is based on who you know and not what you know. Lack of diversity on the executive level. Not much room for advancement for minorities.
Benefits
Cons
Career advancement
The Love Airline
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 12, 2017
Best place to work ever. I love my job, co-workers and the customers. Great place to meet people from all over the world. Great travel benefits as well.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Fantastic Company
Customer Service Reservations (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2017
I would still be working here today if they did not shutdown their SLC branch. We almost relocated to Albuquerque, but did not want to pull our kids out of middle school. If you can get a job for Southwest jump on it!
Pros
Cons
Shift work - Bid Process
I luved it there
Airline Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 11, 2017
I would have stayed longer. Had to relocate for personal reasons. They had flexible hours, unpaid voluntary time off, loved the customers because they loved ua
N/a
Ramp Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 11, 2017
The pay is good as well as management. It is a great job but it is a 24/7 operation. It's all based off sonority with the company. They are flexible but it is hard at times.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 10, 2017
I would recommend anyone who is young looking for a career to start as soon as you can. It was the best job of my life... But I never had time for family.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very strict
Great Family-like & fun work environment
Senior Training Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2017
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful place to work. I've had two contracts there (in IT and SWA-U), which were 15 years apart. Over that time-frame everything changed facilities-wise, but the atmosphere of friendly camaraderie and family-like attitudes remained the same.

My work at SWA-U was especially rewarding because I was able to deal with a wide variety of knowledge domains within the airline, developing training for software systems, hardware, critical FAA regulations, and vendor-supplied systems. No two projects were the same, which I greatly enjoy.
An excellent company to work for!
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 9, 2017
After 13 years as a Flight Attendant, I was able to work as much or as little as I wanted due to my seniority and being able to give away or trade my trips. The company's philosophy is if you treat your employees right, they will treat your customers right. The corporate culture is ideal.
Pros
Benefits, including free flights for me and my family.
Cons
Away from family days at a time.
Great Experience
Customer Insights Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2017
This is one of the best companies I could ever work for. I hope to be back soon. The only reason I am leaving is because my internship is over and I have a semester of school to finish. I would love to work here full time and for a long time. It is such a great environment that always encourages others to be their best and offer their best. Everyone is engaged and feels personally responsible for the success of the company.
Pros
Free food every now and then, parties on Monday's, huge Halloween party
Fantastic place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 9, 2017
Typical work day was assisting customer's with making a reservation or just answering their questions about their reservation.

What I learned from Southwest is that their are companies that will love you like family, yes they pushed you to be better, and much was expected but they gave back just as generously as you gave to them.

The workplace culture the watered down version take care of your employees first and they will take care of the company, by taking care of the external customer.

The hardest part of my job was saying good bye; my personal life was falling apart and I could not give to Southwest anymore. So I had to retire and even in that bitter sweet parting they took care of me.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all of the amazing people, regardless if it was front line, supervisor's, managers or other support staff. They were always up beat and positive.
Pros
Good people
Planning
SENIOR PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2017
I worked with a small team of 5 people. We managed the hiring of flight attendants and built the schedules they would bid and fly on. I learned how to be a team player sharing and testing ideas to make the flight schedule more productive and efficient. The culture is laid back we did not have to wear slacks or suits. Jeans and collared shirts or appropriate t-shirts were fine. The hardest part of the job was having to work weekends and deal with problems that would arise in the program that runs the schedule. This was something we were constantly working on. The most enjoyable part was my team. We had each others back and would work to make each other better.
Pros
Great benifits
Positioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2017
Handled all aspects of loading and stowing services.
Received and recorded company materials as required.
Facilitated deliveries, transports drinks and snack products to Southwest Airlines.
Responsible for stocking aircraft cabin interiors for flights with equipment and supplies such as literature, disposal, refuse containers and commissary items as required
Maintained Inventory as assigned
Transported cabin and cleaning equipment between aircraft storage areas
Operated motorized company equipment as requested
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive and an OK place to work
Operations Agent, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2017
Working for SWA used to be so much fun and family oriented but now you are just a number. Operations consist of the weight and balance of the aircraft for the pilots. unloading and loading passengers. Solving problems and customer issues among other things. Management is poor due to most of them don't know the positions they are in and don't want to learn, yet try to discipline you anyway. Hardest part is keeping up with FAA, TSA procedures and Irate customers, other than that the entire position is fun with never a dull moment.
Pros
good benefits, flexible hours
Cons
at times no breaks for 4 to 6 hours working one flight after another
Overall good company to work for.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2017
Good place to work if you are young and are flexible. The crazy hours and low start out pay can get challenging. Once you put your time in it gets better. Management needs improvement. The union environment gets old really quick.
IThe job of a flight attendant can be the best of both worlds. But it takes a certain type of person. It is exciting, adventurous and spontaneous,
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2017
I went into this job as a young girl with a wild spirit and yearning for something exciting in life.
Training isn’t easy, ( if you don’t really apply yourself)
Don’t come to work there if you have the attitude that
“Sorry, that is not in my job description “. When I went through training several years ago, everyone in the whole company was a team. You lived by the golden rule. What comes with the territory is reroutes, late flights, disgruntled passengers, irritable co-workers, and mechanical delays. This is why your pay scale grows so fast, medical emergencies, this is what you are paid for- the things that COULD HAPPEN!
But there are the precious people ( hundreds upon hundreds, that are fun, kind, giving, loving, and true loyal SWA passengers. There are wonderful pilots who stand up for you, and Co-workers, Who cover for you when you need a break. There are constant kudos from management about how awesome you are, and how much you matter to the company!!!!
The good far out weighs the bad. I call the bad - life.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, passengers, planes, flights are fun! Great benefits!
Cons
Supervisors are not covered by the union, which is sad, so their hands are really tied to help you in many situations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.