Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

friendly and positive work environment with heart
Customer Service and Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
My first experience with Southwest Airlines was extraordinary. The
orientation was professional but fun. The main headquarters in Texas
was very impressive. After extensive training with an instructor that
was not only thorough but patient as well, I officially began my career
with Southwest. As a customer service and support agent, I assisted passengers by phone with online bookings, information concerning air travel, provided flight information and reaccomodated passengers when their flights were disrupted, among many other duties. Our employee reviews were quarterly and our supervisors were the best!
They were always available to us and offered constructive ideas to improve my work performance. The most difficult part of the job was not that it was very challenging but could be very monotonous. I missed the face-to-face interaction with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was, of course, was offering awesome customer service and leaving the caller with a positive experience.
My co workers were always friendly and helpful. Although, some employees just vented about bad experiences they had on the phone, and that could be very annoying.
Pros
Employees and dependents fly free
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Fun working place with great people
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 17, 2012
Ticketing and check in services:
• check-in by operating a computerized point-of-sale system
• all points of boarding process -- handle transactions required to board the aircraft in a timely and efficient manner
• baggage check-in service at ticket counter and at plane-side boarding gate
Reservations services:
• greeting and handling customers in a polite and friendly manner
• handle cash, checks, credit cards, travel vouchers and coupons as forms of payment for tickets
• compute charges
• make change and balance daily transactions
• answer telephone to provide information to callers
• page customers
• provide current and accurate fares, schedules, reservations, flight arrival/departure information and answers all general inquiries from customers and other visitors to the airport terminal;

Customer service regarding complaints and problems:
• deal with mishandled customers as a result of over sales, delayed or cancelled flights, lost, delayed, or damaged luggage
• resolve such problems quickly and within guidelines established by the Company
• document conflict resolutions and file proper paperwork
Pros
working for an airline with flight benefits
Cons
handleing extreme heavy bags and luggage
Very different from what I expected.
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 8, 2015
Came in at a time when the company was undergoing major changes in its culture and philosophy. Southwest was founded on the principle of putting employees first, but it is shifting its emphasis toward one that places shareholder and investor interests above all else. A major merger with another airline was also underway at the time I hired in, and that has contributed to the cultural changes.

I work with a good group of fellow aircraft mechanics who genuinely look out for one another. We have blend of really good supervisors who are highly respected along with some who don't have any business being in any kind of management position whatsoever.

There is no typical day. Each day poses its own set of challenges which is good. That's the enjoyable part. It's not an assembly line. The hardest part of the job is working in cramped spaces and in adverse weather conditions.
Pros
Industry leading pay
Cons
Odd shifts and days off
Best company culture, awesome benefits, incredible and inspiring people!
Product Innovation Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Wouldn't trade my time at Southwest for the world! LUVed every second of it.

I was an intern and had the ability to work on projects with senior leaders from beginning to end. The work is fun and the work environment is unbeatable. The benefits of working here as an intern surpass any benefits I have ever seen at another company. The workload is fun, your coworkers are always eager to teach you something new, there are deck parties with music and free food every Monday and last but not least....free flights to anywhere in the country!!! The recruiters really care about your success in the position. They spend a lot of time determining where you would best fit, and they're always right! After my internship ended, my coworkers were eager to write positive recommendation letters and lots of people got hired! (unfortunately I had to return to school)
Pros
Free unlimited flights, awesome people, great culture, free food and fun events!
Cons
can only work from Dallas, other than that- NOTHING!
SAP HR
SAP Business process consultant (Current Employee) –  irvingFebruary 16, 2014
outhwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) is a major U.S. airline and the world's largest low-cost carrier, headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The airline was established in 1967[2] and adopted their current name in 1971.[3] The airline has 44,831 employees as of December 2013 and operates more than 3,400 flights per day.[4] As of June 5, 2011, it carries the most domestic passengers of any U.S. airline.[5] As of January 2014, Southwest Airlines has scheduled service to 89 destinations in 42 states and Puerto Rico.
Southwest Airlines has solely operated Boeing 737s, except for a few years in the 1970s and 1980s, when they operated a few Boeing 727s. As of August 2012, Southwest is the largest operator of the 737 worldwide with over 550 in service, each operating an average of six flights per day.[4] In May 2011, Southwest acquired AirTran Airways, with integration of the carriers expected to be complete by 2014.[6] On March 1, 2012, the company was issued a single operating certificate, technically becoming one airline.
Amazing work place, great culture and customer service
Customer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 26, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful company to work for. They care about everyone from the CEO to the wheelchair pushers. They were very involved with the community. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of things such as the Ronald McDonald House, Kidd's Kids, Habitat for Humanity etc. I learned so much about Customer Service and how to keep them happy and coming back. Managers are great about mentoring and encouraging employees to promote within the Company. There was so much opportunity to be able to promote or learn about different jobs. I held so many hats while I was there and it was such a valuable experience for business and personal life. I do miss Southwest so much, but I needed to leave to be able to be with my family more often. My husband is military and between training and deployments I felt like it was important for me to be home on the weekends and nights with our children, that was not possible while working with Southwest. Shift work was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits, ability to promote and grow
Cons
shift work
Worked for one of the top-ten companies as listed in most business magazines
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Based in Dallas, Phoenix, Oakland, Las VegasMarch 31, 2015
Working for Southwest Airlines for 30 years was a very enjoyable experience. As a Flight Attendant you have to be courteous, polite, and flexible. If and when you have a medical emergency or emergency landing, you have to keep yourself together. I had my fair share of emergencies and you have to remain calm, going through your emergency procedures, as well as briefing the passengers on what the situation is. I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with hundreds of different people in a day. Your constantly walking up and down the aisle checking on passengers. You also have the duty of taking care of the flight crew (pilots). It's very hard work, but rewarding. The best part of flying was over-nighting in different cities and sightseeing if it wasn't snowing, raining, or the weather had changed. Working with my co-workers was also a bonus.
Pros
Great flight benefits on SWA as well as other airlines
Cons
Long work days covering the United States
Outstanding culture, diverse people, fantastic benefits and life long friends.
Pilot Crew Scheduler II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2015
Southwest Airlines has a company built on a foundation of Customer Service and core values such as a Warrior Spirit, Fun Luving Attitude and a Servants Heart. Working at Southwest Airlines days were often very long and flexibility was a must, however I was hired to just be myself and make sure that I worked as a team to accomplish a positive customer experience both internally and externally while having fun. My favorite part of the job was being able to walk into a mess and make it right for the customers and employees. My least favorite part of the job was the particular positions that I held were operational so I was unable to attend the culture events that a 9am- 5pm employee had the benefit of attending, however Southwest made it possible for their employees to send a little bit of the LUV even in the Operational positions through the company culture committee.
Pros
Fantastic Benefits, culture, flexibility people and wages.
Cons
Long hours, high stress during inclement weather
Great company to work for providing travel opportunities, unsurpassed benefits and work flexability.
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2013
Arrive at airport, check in at Base, review any new safety issues or changes in proceedures. Report to gate, board plane and perform pre-flight safety checks. Greet boarding passengers, assist with any passengers having special needs. Provide outstanding customer service to all passengers on board. Communicate with your crew members at all times.

Safety proceedures on the aircraft as well as daily compliance with all FAA standards. Communication with your co-workers is key to a successful flight.

Reserve Months are always difficult as you have no set flights and scheduling may call you with a flight detail, you must report to the airport within two hours from the time the call is received to begin your assignment.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was always meeting new people, visiting with our passengers and taking care of our passengers with special needs.
Pros
free travel on airline passes, great benefits, meeting interesting people.
Cons
reserve months and commuting to your base when you live out of base.
Stressfull but fun workplace with upbeat co-workers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 5, 2015
Handling passengers on a daily basis face to face and focusing on their needs to make sure they are happy with their whole experience.

I've learned to be patient and keep calm, with many situations can turn badly while in the airline industry.

My co-workers are what makes my job easier to go into everyday. Always smiling and laughing and making the day go by.

Dealing with the passengers that are not satisfied and can be very up front at some times. Keeping your cool, and professionalism in providing the best customer service to your capability to do what is best for them.

Seeing smiles on the passengers faces when we or I have done something to make their day. Wither, getting them out on an earlier flight to be with family, or just having a general conversation with them about nothing!
Pros
Health and Flying beneifts
Cons
Work schedule and never off on weekends.
Try's to conceal there true corporate greed and misguided management decision through a employee culture that is just a facade.
Operations agent. (Current Employee) –  SJC,LAS,OAK,PDX.April 2, 2013
Don't be fooled into thinking the monthly birthday cake celebrations and all the other culture window dressing is anything more then too much cheap food coloring. This company will throw a witch hunt at the drop of a hat. Watch your back every day. " know your company!" Ironically that is the very language they use in there, it's a matter of respect training. It's good advise. If you stick around long enough you will learn the game and the characters. After 11yrs of service at marginal pay. You will finally earn a livable wage, which they will try to take from you at any opportunity. Good luck and remember have fun!
Pros
decent health care 401k
Cons
constant blame shifting within middle management to avoid addressing any real problems.
Fun place to work
Executive Assistant to Director of Technology (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasSeptember 9, 2014
• Manage the Director's calendar and scheduling
• Coordinate business meetings including coordination of meeting times and places
• Coordinate travel arrangements, including registration for conferences, reservations for accommodations and travel, and assistance with subsequent Employee expense reporting
• Assist with payroll processing, including collection and recordkeeping of information on exceptions such as vacation and sick leave, and assist with distribution of payroll checks and incentive travel passes
• Assist with processing of new-hires and contractors within the Department, including acquisition of necessary equipment and supplies, completion of new-hire forms and assimilation into the team
• Coordinate Data Center events, examples to include are, The Annual Data Center Car Show, The BBQ contest, Easter Baskets Drive for Ronald McDonald, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, etc.
• Serves as the point of contact for Facility issues and manage to resolution
• Assist with communication of Departments and Company’s guidelines and office procedures to other Department (s)
• Handles vendor calls and call backs where directed
Awesome company to work for with great benefits.
Customer Service and Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 2, 2014
I started out with Southwest Airlines as a Customer Service Agent in Burbank, CA. I moved to southern Orange County so transferred to LAX and then to John Wayne Orange County Airport. When in Orange County I also was the station Administrative Coordinator, Ramp Supervisor and Customer Service Supervisor. There is so much opportunity in this company you can determine your own destiny. The administrative position consists of balancing agents daily cash deposits, handling OJI, medical and personal claims. I was responsible for payroll audit sheets daily. Communicating with upper management on a daily basis in each department. As a Ramp Supervisor I oversaw the ramp agents preforming their daily tasks, marshaled in airplanes, loaded luggage. My favorite position was the Customer Service Supervisor position. I enjoyed interacting with customers daily. I also oversaw the customer service agents, quarterly bidding schedule, agents evaluations and held staff meetings. This was a really fun job.
Pros
great company with great benefits and excellent people to work with.
Cons
you have to bid for your shifts based on senority
Trend-setting, innovative, profitable airline that I'm proud to represent.
Flight Attendant/Purser (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2012
Southwest Airlines, Inc. has a world-class reputation for its low fares, outstanding customer service, and company culture. I am proud to be a part of a leading airline that believes in putting their employees first! Our customers are second to none and most are loyal to our airline! It is always a pleasure interacting and being encouraged to get to know our customers so that they enjoy their flying experience. As we all know, traveling may sometime be stressful and can bring up unexpected surprises. I feel lucky to be a part of a team that only hires the best and who fits the Southwest way: Servant's heart, warrior spirirt, and Fun-loving attitude!
Pros
travel benefits, flexibility, great company, industry leader
Cons
sometimes very little time to take a break
Play hard, work hard
Learning Technologies Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 29, 2012
Southwest is an awesome company to work for! I did a 3 month internship for them and had an amazing time learning what they do and helping in real projects. It's common to walk down the halls and see higher-ups in t-shirts and flip flops. The atmosphere is very relaxed but their expectations of your work are very high. No other company can compare when it comes to taking care of the employees as much as they do their customers! Although, I interned, I am an adult with many years of work experience so I have plenty of points-of-comparison when it comes to other companies, and Southwest is definitely at the top of my list as being the best.
Pros
deck parties, everyday is casual friday, awesome flight benefits, full cafeteria, always room to advance
Cons
salaries low compared to other companies
SWA Job Description
reservation agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 5, 2012
I handled nationwide inbound calls regarding passenger flightbookings, problems, hotel reservations, car rentals with excellent customer service skills. I was also trained through their extensive 6 weeks intranet program including sabre & the basic computer programs. I had previously worked for the company when the 1st call center was opened in Little Rock Ar & transferred to Oklahoma for a year when that center closed. I moved back to Pine Bluff where all of my family lives because I was a single mother of 3 with no support. I have had several jobs since then but decided to try it again after my children were grown but had to resign once again due to medical problems which are now resolved but limited.
Pros
great environment & benefits

Comment – June 29, 2012

I too live in the OKC area and would love to hire on with SWA as a Reservation agent but have not been able to find out where I can send a resume or inquire about openings. Can anyone help me find out this information?

Great company for the Right people
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 18, 2015
I love this company and am sad to have had so many roadblocks for advancement. The people are wonderful, the culture is amazing, the compensation is okay but you can 'fly for free' which has also been a lot harder the last couple of years.

I have been in the same position for long enough to run the joint, however my attempts to move around in the department and outside the department have been thwarted.

I am a top performer and work extremely hard and diligently when I am doing my job. I go outside of my realm to help those around me and my customers. I have been working so hard and yet have not been promoted and that is why my rating is lower.

For interns coming in, you have no idea what opportunity you are being given. I worked outside this company for enough years to know it's a wonderland. Please take advantage of your opportunities given by management.
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST AIRLINE I HAVE WORKED FOR, HANDS DOWN
MAINTENANCE CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 30, 2012
I had the privileged to work for SOUTHWEST AIRLINES for 14 years before retiring. One will be hard pressed in finding another company like SOUTHWEST that cares and takes a personal interest in each and every employee. Companies around the globe aspire to operate in the ways Southwest Airlines has in regards to its people and its culture but find it difficult, enjoying little to no success in discovering the mystical cohesive forces that build a company strong from the ground up, this is what SOUTHWEST has mastered. The secret is in its people and its people are SOUTHWEST!!! If you want to be a part of a team, grow in ways unimaginable and be a part of something that's real, this is where you go. It simply doesn't get much better than this!
Pros
the people, the culture, the benefits, the pay, the work environment, the stability
Cons
there are no cons
Very productive and fun loving place, never get bored.
Aircraft Sr. Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2015
every day is a challenge day, move airplanes to gate as fast as I can with safe condition. Full all compliane prior to aircraft return to service. Very motivated people to work with, superb company and nice and great environment. Learn fuselage skin repair, flight control rigging trouble shooting, engine rigging and trouble shooting, pretty advance knowledge in all ATA codes, handle all daily issues related to aircraft. Very cooperative coworkers to work with and work as a team player. the hardest part of my job is to move the plane with minimum interval of time with full compliance. The most enjoyable part of my job is a fun loving environmet with party every week to see each others regarding company standing and forthcoming events.
Pros
nice family oriented environments, good benifets, proverb coworkers
Cons
high medical and no stocks options
Delivering Customer Service with a positive attitude
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2013
Provided customer complaint resolution, sale and upgrade sales of service, providing air, car and hotel arrangements for travelers, scheduling new routing in the event of plane delay or natural causes, authorization of monetary compensation to passengers, relocation of misplaced items on plane or baggage, resolution of escalated customer care complaints.

I learned excellent customer service skills. This environment was team player orientated. We all worked together.

It was great to be able to turn a not so happy customer into a satisfied happy customer.

The customers were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest was when the airports were closed and we could not get travelers out during that time.

The management was awesome. Southwest is an excellent company to work for.
Pros
the customers and my fellow employees
Cons
airport shutdowns

4.5