Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

best company
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  las vegas , nvOctober 7, 2015
free flights free days days off . easy work a lot of downtime. Co workers are nice best culture good company to work for . Good money if your willing to work shifts are always available .
Pros
free flights
Cons
supervisors
Fun Job
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2015
This was a call center. I would work anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day but I enjoyed. When the call volume was low we would learn to crochet and donate the blankets to the needy.
Pros
Flied free anywhere there was a Southwest Airlines airport
Love SWA
Payroll Associate (Former Employee) –  DallasOctober 3, 2015
Southwest knows the true meaning of work hard play hard.
They training was excellent. They prepare you or serving the customers.
Pros
Flying Benfits
Cons
Pay
Southwest Airlines Culture
Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa OkSeptember 29, 2015
Southwest culture is great, they allow their Employees to be themselves. Another great thing about SWA is the way the hire Employees. "Hire for attitude, we can train for skill"
Fun place to work for
Build & Release Engineer/DevOPS Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Great Company to work for . I really liked my stay here. People here are very co-operative and smart to work with. Upper management has great vision
Great Travel Benefits you can't use. No true time off.
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 25, 2015
You will not be able to use your flight benefits the first 6months as you WILL be scheduled to work mandatory overtime on your days off. This is a stressful environment because There are never enough employees to cover the demand therefore, new employees are forced to work mandatory odd shifts.(in addition to scheduled shift) There is no consideration for you or your family if you need time off, even if things were planned months in advance. (Wedding, vacations, therapy, etc) You are required to report to work sick or injured or you risk being fired. You can trade shifts with another employee but that shift will often be extended. You will be tapped on the shoulder an hour before you leave and told your shift is extended 2 or 3 hours. The "Luv Culture" is a joke. While the environment is fun loving for the most part, The majority of the Veteran employees will NOT bend over backwards to help the new employees. They are often out of uniform and have nasty attitudes. THE manager does not exude the fun loving attitude that is expected and is rarely available. Your concerns are unheard. So, don't bother expressing them. The supervisors are better to work with but there are so many that rotate shifts from different areas, its difficult to get to know their style of supervision. There is alot of turn over.Just giving you the true experience of working for Southwest. If you can deal with the above, go for it. If you have a family, think long and hard about the sacrifice.
Pros
Training, Flight Benefits, Health Benefits for full-time employees, Theme days and employee recognition events.
Cons
Mandatory Overtime on your scheduled day off, Pay, little support from supervisors and managers, Veteran employees, health benefits for part-time employees.
Ramp Agent
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2015
Ramp agents/baggage handlers are responsible for marshaling aircraft, and loading/unloading and sorting freight and baggage. Ramp agent/baggage handler duties also include servicing aircraft, assisting with aircraft pushback and towing, deicing and other duties as assigned. Many breaks in-between flights . Hardest aspect of the job would be the physical pressure you endure on a day to day basis. The most enjoyable aspect is the smiles you see from our customers
Great place to work.
Lead Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a family, it wasn't just a Job. I have come to know in 9 1/2 years at Southwest that this is a very unique people and place to work. Southwest as a company have really invested in their employees. It shows in everything they offer to each person that gains employment. Pay, benefits, incentives, parties.Expectations are above many because they really believe in order to be the best you must do the best. Working there was challenging at times but overall it was the best employer I worked for. They really live by the motto work hard,play hard. Southwest Airlines works by a set of values that guarantee success.
Pros
Everything!
Southwest is fantastic
Manager of Process Optimization (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2015
It's reputation is well-deserved. Upward mobility is very slow, but overall, great people, great culture, great company.
Great place to work if on SWA. But if contract no so great.
Maintenance Technician Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2015
Every morning would come in at 5am and go through the emails and added them to a excel spreadsheet. Then walk all 5 bays and structures support up stairs. Pick up day trade and request off. You have 4 groups inspection, appear, structures, structures support. Management change while the contract was going.
My co-workers where every nice and welcome.
Hardest part of the job was having someone watch me 4 year old daughter on the weekends.
I enjoyed learning about the plains inside and out.
Pros
got to work 10 hour shifts and have 3 days off
Cons
no benefits, no vacation, no sick leave
Best company I have ever worked for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Great management team. Can grow career with a ton of opportunities throughout the company. Management gives constant feedback and is always thinking of it's employee's work/life balance.
Pros
Flight benefits
Its a minimum wage job
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 8, 2015
southwest airlines is a ok company if u like to travel a lot. the pay is not great but the workers are cool. you will do hard labor in all weather conditions.
Pros
free flights
Cons
you will get injured
Provo Agent
Provo Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2015
awesome company to be an employee
I enjoyed my time there
Would be employed with Southwest but 911 occurred
Staff worked as a team
Very family oriented
Southwest cares about their employees
Pros
Great employment with Southwest
Cons
911 brought uncertaintiy
Fun workplace
Servicio al pasajero (Former Employee) –  CarolinaSeptember 3, 2015
Well a typical day at southwest start 3:45am with some of my ex co-workers sleeping wairing for the lead start the brifing. Then when we go to the counter we turn on turn on the compters and kioski as soon we finish with that we start calling the passanger normally familys moving to USA, with each passanger we check the USADA sticker, then we takes the bags to put the bag tags and senden to the belt as soon we finish with the bags, we give the boarding passes and explain the passange how they can go to the gates. In the time that we dont have any passanger we talk each other, making jokes, talking about the day before, family, pet and more things. When the shift ends normally we go all together to eat and then go home.
five star
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2015
the hardest part of the job was denied boarding do the last passenger to check in when we are not able to find volunters
for the next avalable flight. Many passengers become irate
with this situation.
Pros
free air travel
Cons
mandatory overtime
great job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  atlanta,gaAugust 31, 2015
Handles any aspect of ticketing and check-in by operating a computerized point­of­sale system, boarding, baggage service, reservations and resolving related complaints and problems;
Responsibilities include greeting and handling Customers in a polite and friendly manner.
Handling credit cards, travel vouchers and coupons as forms of payment for tickets.
Answers telephone to provide information to callers, page customers, resolve problems or complaints and assist as needed;
Handles transactions required to board the aircraft in a timely and efficient manner;

Provides current and accurate fare, schedule, reservations, flight arrival/departure information and answers all general inquiries from Customers and other visitors to the airport terminal
Good company. Fun place to work
Ground Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
I worked here for 3 years and I can't say anything bad about this company. They have a very relaxed culture, but if you don't do your job as expected, you will be informed that more is expected from you.
This company goes the extra mile when it comes to keeping an high employee morale.
Pros
Overtime when needed
Cons
working outdoors in all types of weather
Great company to be with
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 27, 2015
Southwest Airlines is by far the best company that i have ever worked for. From the employees to the management even to the job criteria. Hardest part was i was a ramp agent and of course working in extreme weather like heat to rain storms is always a challenge but the team was always there to help.
Nice Days
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaAugust 26, 2015
great company to work for, great work environment. benefits good, take care of employees.

even get to fly free

discounts on other airlines
Amazing work place, great culture and customer service
Customer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 26, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful company to work for. They care about everyone from the CEO to the wheelchair pushers. They were very involved with the community. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of things such as the Ronald McDonald House, Kidd's Kids, Habitat for Humanity etc. I learned so much about Customer Service and how to keep them happy and coming back. Managers are great about mentoring and encouraging employees to promote within the Company. There was so much opportunity to be able to promote or learn about different jobs. I held so many hats while I was there and it was such a valuable experience for business and personal life. I do miss Southwest so much, but I needed to leave to be able to be with my family more often. My husband is military and between training and deployments I felt like it was important for me to be home on the weekends and nights with our children, that was not possible while working with Southwest. Shift work was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits, ability to promote and grow
Cons
shift work

4.5