Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Implemented the Call Center Paperless project
Senior Workforce Systems Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2015
The work here was very interesting. It all was based on gathering requirements and building a tool to replace a long time consuming paper process on an old Novell windows OS. I started as a Reservations supervisor and based on hands on experience was able to teach myself to develop this tool
I dont mind working, but I had no life outside work. With the amount of travel and the magnitude of work, it was very difficult to manage.
Material Stores Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: no balance of work / life
Over all the company is a great company to work for, but my typical day was compelled of meetings and conference calls. Depending on your Leaders, your work/life balance can become very challenging. If one finds the right niche and the right leaders, the sky is the limit. I did enjoy the travel, but it seem redundant and too much with so much work lying in the balance.
Soild Enduring Fun
Operations Agent (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: early and late start times
A typical day at Southwest Airlines begins early 4;30AM. Aircrafts at the gates need to be opened up and ensure they are at the correct jetway. Paperwork is printed including weather notams and forcasts. The passengers are the most enjoyable part of this job. Their excitment of traveling for a job or a vacation is infectous.
Best company to work for
Flight Attendant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Amazing company that valued their employees and their customers as well. Traveled the world for free.
it was all right
cleaning airplanes (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2014
Pros: they would make parties for us.
Cons: the breaks were too short.
my day was getting to my work on time and do my assignment. i learn a lot to clean and be on task of different type of areas.learn how to work in groups and get a long with others. my hardest thing to do was to vacuum underneath the seats. i always enjoyed my job because i use to like it.
hardest part of job
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), SFODecember 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: weather depending on location
hardest part of the job is probably working with the co-workers If you're not a "people" person then it would be hard to work as a team on a flight.
Best Job I ever had/Miss it everyday
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), New YorkDecember 5, 2014
Pros: everything
I worked for Southwest Airlines in NY as a Ramp Agent for almost 12 years before being terminated 2 years ago because of my attendance. There's not a day that goes by that I don't regret letting my personal issues get in the way of my job. I let myself down but more importantly let this great company down. Wish I could go back and start with them again now that everything is back to normal for me but understandably they probably do not want to give me a second chance. The culture there is fantastic, people are even better and it is an outstanding company to work for if you can get your foot in the door. You can make as much money as your willing to work for being that there's always an abundance of overtime and double time. Benefits are fantastic as well as the unlimited free travel benefits for you, your parents, spouse or committed partner and Children up to age 23 I believe. My last 2 years there I made $90,000 each year with all the overtime I worked as a baggage handler. If I hadn't screwed it up I would have been enjoying my 14th year there but I did so I live with it. If I can get back in and start all over again someday I will in a heartbeat! Bottom line this is a career you can have and be proud of if you can get in from beginning to end!
Rough start, but overall great company
Ramp and Cargo Agent (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: mandatory overtime
Southwest Airlines is an incredible company. It is difficult at first with the 6 month probation, but overall a great experience and fun culture. It's pretty routine, management isn't that great but the station is good. The craziest (in a good way) group of people I've ever worked with. Mandatory overtime can throw a wrench in your plans, but it's double time.
Outstanding compay
Operations Agent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 24, 2014
Great company with incredible benefits. Assisting the public with boarding the aircraft. Weight and balance of the plane.
Fabulous Company and Culture however, very limited room for advancement.
Customer Service (Former Employee), TexasNovember 21, 2014
Pros: awesome benefits and several employee appreciation days.
Cons: limited room for advancement on a local level.
A "Day-in-the-life" at Southwest consists of positive interaction with all front line employees while addressing Customer needs, Business needs and having the ability to communicate the expectations and solutions to meeting or exceeding those needs on a daily basis, together as a Team.
Fun work place without micro managing.
Skycap (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2014
Pros: great money everyday.
Cons: hour commute to and from work.
I worked for tips in a stress free environment. Management in Chicago was amazing. Supportive supervisors. Family first team I worked with. Solid team members.
The best job ever.
Operations Agent (Former Employee), Kenner, LANovember 2, 2014
Cons: weather delays
AWESOM!!! I learned weight and balance configuration of an aircraft.
Management is great. My co-workers were wonderful. There was nothing hard about the job. I loved every aspect of the job.
They quit on me, I did not quit on them
Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: you are just a number.
Poor management. Station manager set me up to take a fall for him after I blew the whistle on him. I was let go and he was transferred.
Fly with strength
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 28, 2014
Pros: benefits, aiplaines and great place to work
Cons: heavy lifting.
I worked as ramp agent I transferred cargo and passengers’ baggage from aircraft to aircraft and/or to the terminal and operates and drives motorized equipment such as belt loaders, air start units, lift trucks, tugs, bag carts, lavatory carts and de-icing units.
I learned team work and safety in the airline industry. I learned to how prioritize tasks.
Management was driven...
A lot the of the co-workers were fun and great to work with but there were few that made female workers' job a bit harder.
Heavy cargo or passengers luggage can be difficult, but there were equipment to facilitate the transfer between carts to airplanes.
Get to work around airplanes, fast paced environment and discounts on air fair.
haad ping pong table
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 28, 2014
a typical day at work would be loading and unloading planes. was a great place to work had good employees and was an overall fun and great environment to work in.
Material Planner (Contractor) (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2014
Pros: culture
Cons: pay
Culture is very laid back and positive people to be around. People are usually supportive. Sometimes would wish managers were more aggressive. It's acceptable to walk around and chat it up with those around you. Most enjoyable part of my job was being around positive people.
Great company to work for, wonderful benefits
Customer Support and Services Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 20, 2014
Pros: great place to work, wonderful benefits, fun people to work with, great customers
Cons: didn't like sitting so much, tied to the phone for too many hours a day
I worked in the Houston Reservation Center for the last years of my Southwest Airlines career. I started in Dallas Reservations. When they closed, I went to Oklahoma City. The commuting was hard sometimes, but it was worth it to be able to stay with the company for so many years. I loved talking to the customers and helping with their travel needs. Sometimes it could be a challenge, but I didn't mind the challenge. I learned that we could usually find someway to help the customer if they had a problem or just had a question they needed answered. The hardest part of the job was when we couldn't resolve a problem. That isn't a very good feeling. It would happen sometimes, but luckily not often. Management for the most part were great. I can get a long with just about anyone. I worked with a bunch of great people, and made many great friends. The best parts of the job for me were all the wonderful benefits. Getting to fly for free is an awesome benefit. I really love Southwest Airlines.
NA
Ramp Agent (Current Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 16, 2014
good, exciting, the most enjoyable part of the job a typical day at work •what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Awesome company to work for with great benefits
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 7, 2014
An airline that is family oriented in all areas of the company. High tenure and never had a lay off.
Great benefits.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2014
A typical day of work can be found in my resume. What I learned was how to unload and prepare aircrafts to and from their respective terminal and gates. Management was more than compassionate, always lending a hand when needed. Co-workers super friendly and down to earth. Hardest part of the job is getting there. Had to park three miles away, take a bus, walk half a mile just to clock in. Most enjoyable parts where bringing the planes in and pushing the out.

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Co. (Southwest) is a passenger airline that provides scheduled air transportation in the United States. As – Read more

Southwest Airlines Salaries