Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Free Flights
mhCustomer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
Great company got to fly all over the world for free. Great culture treated the employees very well and the pay and benefits were excellent.
Pros
Free Flights
Cons
Delayed flights
Best place to work
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 8, 2016
Great work culture, environment. Fantastic learning experience. Have lots of care for Employees. SWA has 40 years of profitability and is ever growing with multiple project openings for Developers and Business Analysts.
Great Customers
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
South west was a Great Job to have if you love to Travel, and got a thing for planes. Great Place to start a career. Many people have been there for many years, and love to help, and share their experiences.
Very customer and family oriented. Fun place to work!
Station Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2015
My primary goal at work was to take care of the needs of the external and internal customers. I learned many thins about how a company runs but I also shied away from management as I had held such responsibilites in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff as I was always learning new things both about them and their job duties. The hardest past of my job was having to go to part time after working full time and could keep up with events in the company. The most enjoyable part of my job was to be inclued in such a great company.
Productive and fun
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
best job i have ever had hands down. I would make that life career. The job environment was really great. the staff and management made the job that much better.
Flexible and fun
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMay 16, 2016
Great flexibility in hours. Entrusted to work independently on assignments with limited supervision. Fun work environment. Gained experience in a typical office setting.
Wonderful place to work
Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2015
I love working at Southwest Airlines. Dealing with customers(passengers) and fellow workers was something I will cherish. Helping customers get on the aircraft and sending them to their destinations was a joy. At times the passengers were upset because of delays but I tried to make it as pleasant as possible. I love to deal with different people as I enjoy people.
Pros
happy passengers, satisfaction of a great day, 401k, benefits
Cons
weather delaying flights, weight and balance issues causing people to be bumped off the aircraft for safety reasons.
Productive place
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2016
Learnt a lot. Was a PM handling a cross platform project with around 7-8 resources reporting to me. I was responsible for the entire SDLC
awesome fun job
Ramp Agent, McCarran Airport (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 2, 2016
this job is fun and fast pace. if you cant take the heat in the summer and the changing work schedules then this is not for you.
Good
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2016
it is a good place to work with.it is a good place. located in pheonix, az. environment is very good. work is reasonable . management and calleage were very helpful.
Fun but alot of work
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 14, 2016
This job has its ups and downs. The benefits and perks are the best I ever had. But the schedule changes daily and its hard trying to plan your life.
Pros
good pay, great benifits
Cons
Changing schedules, physical work
Make sure you are not a person that has a lot on your plate
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 28, 2012
If you can get through the first six months, you should be okay. While the pay is not great, the benefits are. However there is not much advancement if you work in the customer centers and unless ou plan to move to corporate in Texas chances are you will not get off the customer center floor unless you want to become a Team Lead, which the pay is not great and the job is more demanding than being on the customer center floor. When they say they work hard and play hard, they truly mean it!
Pros
great benefits, decent people to work with
Cons
management tends to not really be in touch with the workers
Try's to conceal there true corporate greed and misguided management decision through a employee culture that is just a facade.
Operations agent. (Current Employee) –  SJC,LAS,OAK,PDX.April 2, 2013
Don't be fooled into thinking the monthly birthday cake celebrations and all the other culture window dressing is anything more then too much cheap food coloring. This company will throw a witch hunt at the drop of a hat. Watch your back every day. " know your company!" Ironically that is the very language they use in there, it's a matter of respect training. It's good advise. If you stick around long enough you will learn the game and the characters. After 11yrs of service at marginal pay. You will finally earn a livable wage, which they will try to take from you at any opportunity. Good luck and remember have fun!
Pros
decent health care 401k
Cons
constant blame shifting within middle management to avoid addressing any real problems.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
Great company to join. Training program is very tight on the terminal with all eyes on deck. Get ready to work in all kinds of weather. Benefits are wonderful.
Family oriented work place.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2016
This place of employment was great, when I first started there. Afterwards, they became more corporation based and it was not as fun to work there.
Family Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2015
This company is one of the best jobs I've ever had. I didn't like that the schedules were based off seniority is my only real issue with the company. Besides having 2 consecutive days off, the company also gives you an extra day on them (paid) for you to have off each month. Flight benefits were great always, very nice and friendly family oriented environment.
One of the best companies to work for.
Inflight - Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Ability to remain flexible to constant schedule changes. Available all hours of the day, weekends, holidays. Always working with different coworkers. Loved traveling and constantly meeting new people.
Most difficult part of the job was commuting to and from work as I did not live in a base. Also scheduling issues with family.
Great employee culture
Cargo Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2016
Great company and all about the employees.I learned more about human remain transport.My co-workers were awesome they worked and showed me everything I need to know.
Great Place to Work
Benefit Administrator Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2016
During my time at Southwest I was treated like I had worked there for years. People are very friendly and very accommodating. I did not want to see my contract time to end, and will continue to try and get a full time position.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Long drive with traffic witht the work hours provided
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Station Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2016
Process Attendance letters, Answer phones and questions, Assist in badge process, Calculate and input hour paid per trip, Process medical leaves, OJI's and return to work paperwork, Input gates into system.

4.5