Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Great company
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 30, 2014
-Provided friendly, courteous and quality service to customers over the telephone.
-Furnished general flight information and booked reservations.
-Assist customers with on-line bookings, rental cars, and hotel reservations.
-Record customer data including addresses and credit card.
-Resolved problems for customers and travel agents.
-Analyzed and recommended the best flights to meet customer’s needs.
-Maintained workable knowledge to keep current with information that is pertinent to the job.
Pros
flying privileges
Cons
shut down reservation center in little rock
amazing company to work for
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2013
Southwest Airlines, is an amazing company to work for. If you like to have fun, be around people and help them in time of need this is the job for you. I loved working for this company because I was able to be myself.. had fun with co-workers and interact with passangers. The hardest part was delays due to weather or things beyond one's control. I loved being loaned out to other cities when they were short staffed and the fact that basically you were able to make as much or as little money as you want.
Pros
affordable medical package for my family
Cons
non that i remember
Outstanding company to work and fly for.
Captain, Check Airman, FAA Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,AZ and Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2013
I am a Captain and fly a regular schedule. I also am a Check Airman. In that capacity, I assist in the the training, evaluating and checking of pilots in their proficiency through simulator train/check events and online during a revenue flight. I held a position of base chief pilot for Las Vegas from 2007-2010. Directly managed 600 pilots in that domicile. Responsible for the day to day operation of the base.
Pros
excellent people, benefits and opportunities
Cons
it is a airline and as a crew member, you are away from home a grab deal
The luv airline where you are family!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 10, 2012
Provided excellent customer service to all passengers while checking in luggage, issuing boarding passes, selling tickets and looking for lost luggage. Management always is respectful and gives great feed back to every employee to make sure everyone is doing their part. The hardest part of my job were bad weather days where we had no control. Love all the incentives offered, from buddy passes to the floating holiday we received every month.
Pros
buddies passes, over great benefits, company recognition.
Cons
very busy peak seasons
great place to work, fun and very face paced
Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2014
I loved working for SWA. I lead a team of 20 people in Customer Relations. I worked with them to meet the Company metrics, recurrent training and career planning. The hardest part of the job was working with other Team Leaders who has been there with the company for a very long time. The best part was working with the Reps. They are awesome. I enjoyed helping them with their everyday work flow and encouraged them with positive feedback. Our Customers were pretty great also.
Pros
free flights
Cons
social aspect
A fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2013
A typical day was to book flight for customers,quote fares, rent cars,and hotels if needed and general flight info.
learned how to inter act with many different kinds of people, consumer and business, customer
management was ok depending who's team you were on.
co - workers were some of the most caring people I have met in the call center environment.
the hardest thing about the job is that the shifts changed every month so u never knew what you were going to end up with.
the most enjoyable thing was free air fare so we were able to see the country all for free.
Wonderful place to work
Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2015
I love working at Southwest Airlines. Dealing with customers(passengers) and fellow workers was something I will cherish. Helping customers get on the aircraft and sending them to their destinations was a joy. At times the passengers were upset because of delays but I tried to make it as pleasant as possible. I love to deal with different people as I enjoy people.
Pros
happy passengers, satisfaction of a great day, 401k, benefits
Cons
weather delaying flights, weight and balance issues causing people to be bumped off the aircraft for safety reasons.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Fly For Free
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2015
Wonderful management, awesome co-workers, and excellent benefits. Great place to work if you can stick it out through the first year or so, while you gain seniority and deal with mandatory overtime. Company encourages individuality, and there are many options for advancement. If you want to go to Inflight, it's encouraged to go internally, as interviews occur more often.
Pros
great benefits, profit sharing, free flying, wonderful people
Cons
mandatory overtime based on seniority, financially challenging to start, potential odd hours
Amazing company to work for.
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2012
Shift work, always something going on. I learned a ton about customer service and how to handle difficult customer situations. Management was good most of the time. Co-workers were amazing, still friends with all of them. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with delayed flights due to inclement weather and upset customers. Loved meeting new people, boarding the flights, chatting with friendly customers, learning new job duties, interacting with co-workers, and the great teamwork always displayed by everyone in the company.
a fun and loving work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2013
inbound call center, answer typical ailine questions, book and cancel flights. help with technical issues, and provide outstanding customer service. I love the co workers at Southwest Airlines. They are full of life and most people who work here never leave. Southwest is a great company! The hardest part of this job is the pay, as much as I enjoy working for this company, it is not covering all the bills.
Pros
special discounts at sports events, hotels, rent a cars, seaworld, and more
Cons
short lunches, scedule changes monthly.
I loved working at Southwest Airlines
Category Specialist / Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2014
A typical day of work there was great. The culture is great and it really makes you feel like you're part of something special.
Great training programs and employee development.
The management is the best I've ever seen.
My co-workers were all committed and professional and generally just a great group of people.
The hardest part of the job was leaving it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of such a wonderful team.
Pros
great culture, great pay, wonderful work environment
Cons
the only con was leaving
Fun place to work, flexible hours, great benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDOctober 20, 2015
If you like to travel, this is it! Schedules are flexible once off reserve and the people make it a great place to be.
Start at about $20/hr, raises each year for 13 yrs, top pay is $56/hr with full time being about 22 hours/week. (you can pick or drop shifts with other employees with few limitations.)

As of today the crew bases are Oakland, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, and Orlando.

Many flight attendants commute to a base each week - that can get stressful after a while, but doable.
I dont mind working, but I had no life outside work. With the amount of travel and the magnitude of work, it was very difficult to manage.
Material Stores Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2015
Over all the company is a great company to work for, but my typical day was compelled of meetings and conference calls. Depending on your Leaders, your work/life balance can become very challenging. If one finds the right niche and the right leaders, the sky is the limit. I did enjoy the travel, but it seem redundant and too much with so much work lying in the balance.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
no balance of work / life
Sorry this was a miss for me
Sr. Sql Server Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 7, 2015
This was not a good fit for me, but that was because I did not ask enough questions about the situation.

The whole team for me was about pointing fingers and blaming the contractors. So it was not a pleasant place to work as a contractor. Now an employee could do no wrong. So that being said it may have been very different if I was an employee.

That also being said, this was my experience and I am not sure anyone else may have a different experience than mine.
Pros
New industry
Cons
just about every aspect of it for me.
I think SWA is the absolutley best airline out there, with happy employee's
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 2, 2012
I would enjoy working with the traveling public.
I believe in today's Global Markets you can loose
customers so easily. That is where Customer Care comes into play.
• be attentive to their needs.
• listen to what the customer is telling you
• act on the problem at hand in a professional timely manner
• keep the customer happy
• be straight forward but also be fare
Pros
i am professional and think the customer still has to come first
Cons
i don't believe in giving the company away
fun
Flight Operations Crew Training Scheduling II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 26, 2015
Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) is a major U.S. airline and the world's largest low-cost carrier, headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The airline was established in 1967[3] and adopted its current name in 1971.[4] The airline has nearly 46,000 employees as of December 2014 and operates more than 3,400 flights per day.[5] As of June 5, 2011, it carries the most domestic passengers of any U.S. airline.[6] As of November 2014, Southwest Airlines has scheduled service to 93 destinations in 41 states, Puerto Rico and abroad.
Everyday was an adventure
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2012
Working with new crew members and meeting so many people in one day of work was so exciting, everyday there were new challenges. Southwest really supports having fun while doing your job well. I enjoyed the interaction with both males and females and even the occational reroute to another city than we were supposed to end up at. I had a child and got married while having this job and being away was too much of a strain on my personal life so I had to quit.
Pros
great company to be a part of
Cons
too much time away from home
The Skies are the Limit
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 4, 2014
Every day was a different at SWA. When you checked in for your 3-4 day, you may never know who you are going to work with and will you get along. The great part about the SWA couture is that we all did. Southwest backed us on situations where if the customer made a complaint, they would hear both sides, before automatically handling the situation. I Loved waking up in new cities, going out and exploring and just grabbing every moment out of life that i could!
Pros
great coulture
Cons
some short layovers and long duty days
was like a family
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 15, 2013
I had to commute to Chicago that was my base. I would work or be gone for 6 to 7 days at a time sometimes longer. I worked with 2 other flight attendants and two pilots. having fun serving drinks and peanuts and some light snacks to our passengers.I have been all over the United States. I was sad to leave the company they truly were a blessing to work for. I only left after i found my true love and settled down with two young babies.Needless to say I had a hard time as a mom to have to leave them for such long periods of time.
Fun place to work
Customer Service & Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 7, 2014
Southwest airlines is a very interesting place to work there is so much to learn about the airline industry. A typical date at work may consist of inbound customer service. Assisting customers with questions about the website, booking and canceling flights, locating luggage, booking and canceling hotel reservations, group rates, rental vehicles, children and senior discount rates, pets, and weather related delays.
Pros
flying free
Cons
short breaks and lunch, no cafeteria on property

4.5