Southwest Human Development Employee Reviews

Important work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 19, 2017
Teamwork and communication skills are important. The development department works very hard to secure funding for programs. Work-life balance is encouraged.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2017
Very dedicated people that enjoy their job. Great place to work. Everyone is dedicated to their job and pour their hearts into making sure children are properly placed with loving people.
Pros
Paid time off between Christmas and New Years. Management is fantastic.
Fast pace, family oriented non profit agency
ADAPT & AT Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  2850 N 24th St. Phoenix 85008April 27, 2017
It is challenging as the demands of the work load are demanding as well as rewarding as we see the impact our work makes in the live of the families we serve.
Pros
401k, vacation and sick time were generous
Cons
The distance from my house was tiring after so long of working there
enjoyed this agency
Coach (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2017
i I really enjoyed working here, my boss was great and so were my co-workers. they are great with giving a balance for work and family life. The office space is also great.
Swhd
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2017
Majority of staff care about the work they do and the families.

Systems change constantly, but quality improvement is always the goal!

Good place to work, but be ready to work hard (lots of paperwork for teachers, lots of hands monitoring/mentoring for supervisors).

Loyal employees!
Pros
Dedicated staff and working with families
Cons
Very busy environment, no down time
Nice place
Child Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2017
Quickly learned how to keep up with quite a bit of paper work on a daily basis. Learned time management and organization is the key. Punctuality is a must when working here.
fun place to work here
CDA (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2017
I love this place, everyone was so nice, I loved how everything was managed. what I most enjoy was working with every individual child/ parents. they also help you get your CDA. I recommend you to work here
Strong support staff
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 5, 2016
In my position with this agency I had strong management support. The department several management to assist in day to day procedures.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No overtime
Productive and dedicated to assisting families.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2016
I had the privilege to work for a non profit organization who dedicated their work to establishing a healthy life for children at risk.
terrible supervisor
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2016
I worked there for a bit and the supervisor was very hard to understand and was very mean. She would call you out in meetings if you were confused and yelled at you as if you were a child. It was a very stressful environment.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything else
I like it
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
Busy times, time where you are less busy. Focused on the cause, lots of training, which I love.
Coworkers are nice. I love my job but I need ore $$ so need a part time. You know everyone likes their job.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
some seasons are very busy
Great growing company
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2016
Great place to work and it is always room for growth within the company. Very friendly environment. Company works with children all over the state of Arizona
Great Place to Work
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2015
This job was exhausting, but equally rewarding. The management have an open-door policy. Everyone I met were lovely and eager to introduce themselves. It is emotional work, but the management really take their time to listen to your concerns and help you in any way they can.
Great benefits and nice people to work with
Accounting Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2015
There was never a lack of work so your days were very full. I learned a great deal working at Southwest Human Development in all aspects of the accounting department. My co-workers were friendly and team players. The hardest part of the job was learning the medical billing. What I enjoyed the most was keeping the A/R aging report to a small percentage of outstanding.
Benefits
Cons
ADAPT shop supervisors with no experience in the work to be done.
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Adapt shopFebruary 2, 2015
When I started this job my predecessor couldn't wait to leave which left me to wonder why. In the four years the ADAPT shop has been open they have had 4 fabricators. The supervisors for the ADAPT shop have no manufacturing experience making it very difficult to explain a problem in production to them. What is worse is there are those who don't care with "just make it happen" thought process. One supervisor is verbally abusive in a phone meeting and then denying abuse. One supervisor feels a few minutes of observation in her new job leaves her with a full understanding of all operations and makes suggestions that are more time consuming and further made suggestions on product that would weaken structural integrity(due to he lack of manufacturing knowledge). Safety and fire regulations are also disregarded by management. Being that management works in another location they are not there to see problems that might occur. Verbal explanations are not appreciate and demonstrating isn't an option either as they don't want to take the time to see it. This problem isn't exclusive to the shop fabricator but to the therapists who work with the fabricator at this location. In summation the supervisors of this department have absolutely no experience in the work of any of the people they supervise in this department. One would think that experience in the work of the therapists and fabricators would be a requirement but it only one more bit of testimony to how this company doesn't appreciate or understand the work to be done. Human resources was 3 times offered and declined a phone recording  more... of a supervisors disregard of fire laws as well as other unprofessional behavior. I have 20 years fabrication experience and it was ignored.  less
Pros
Nice pay and benefits.
Cons
Poorly chosen management with no experience in subordinates work.
Very good
.NET Developer, Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2014
SWHD is a non-profit organization that provides socially responsible services that support children and families.
This is one of the best Place I have ever worked
Assistant Bilingual Teacher's Aid & Safety Aid (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2014
This company puts children first, and everyone smile and says hello on a daily bases, which make it a joy to go to work.
Pros
The are building great minds for the future.
Cons
The work hours are not a full 40 hours.
Excellent model for Not-for-Profit
Bilingual Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2014
I absolutely loved working here. I benefited from a clear set of policy and procedures, and management. They apply 'Reflective Supervision' on all levels which ensures issues are resolved promptly and smoothly with the employees' input.
Pros
team environment, clean office environment, extensive training provided
Cons
high turn over
Friendly workplace,kept busy
Facilities Admin Specialist - Buyer for Head Start (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2014
Generally good place to work. Able to manage work with little outside interference.
Pros
Good benefits, good people to work with
Cons
Not allowed overtime to complete tasks during busy times
Summary
Child Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2013
Start work at 6:30 am until 4 pm and still have work to do at home. We are paid for 39 hours a week and are exempt and required to work much more than 40 hours a week. Training is inadequate and expectations are high. There is a lot of monitoring but is done after the monitoring instead of before.
Cons
no breaks, too much work, no way to use the restroom