Southwest Human Development Employee Reviews

ADAPT shop supervisors with no experience in the work to be done.
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Adapt shopFebruary 2, 2015
When I started this job my predecessor couldn't wait to leave which left me to wonder why. In the four years the ADAPT shop has been open they have had 4 fabricators. The supervisors for the ADAPT shop have no manufacturing experience making it very difficult to explain a problem in production to them. What is worse is there are those who don't care with "just make it happen" thought process. One supervisor is verbally abusive in a phone meeting and then denying abuse. One supervisor feels a few minutes of observation in her new job leaves her with a full understanding of all operations and makes suggestions that are more time consuming and further made suggestions on product that would weaken structural integrity(due to he lack of manufacturing knowledge). Safety and fire regulations are also disregarded by management. Being that management works in another location they are not there to see problems that might occur. Verbal explanations are not appreciate and demonstrating isn't an option either as they don't want to take the time to see it. This problem isn't exclusive to the shop fabricator but to the therapists who work with the fabricator at this location. In summation the supervisors of this department have absolutely no experience in the work of any of the people they supervise in this department. One would think that experience in the work of the therapists and fabricators would be a requirement but it only one more bit of testimony to how this company doesn't appreciate or understand the work to be done. Human resources was 3 times offered and declined a phone recording  more... of a supervisors disregard of fire laws as well as other unprofessional behavior. I have 20 years fabrication experience and it was ignored.  less
Pros
nice pay and benefits.
Cons
poorly chosen management with no experience in subordinates work.
the good comes with the bad
Mental Health Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2013
unclear expectations, burn out work, not enough pay, great vacation time, not enough understanding from management of the needs and challenges that the people on the ground face, focus way too often is on the many rules and limits, little room for grace for the emotionally challengiing and draining work that we do, good peer support, no room for flex time, feel suffocated and bound up and alone in the tough work in the field.
Pros
great friendships and people, working towards common goals, driven to success
Cons
burn out work with not enough time off, grace for flex time, compensation for difficult and emotional work
Positive Enviroment
Early Childhood Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 29, 2012
Southwest Human Development is a wonderful company to work for, they are very devoted to their cause of helping children and their families. The team there work together deligently to achieve the goals in which they put before them in order to provide the needed resources for their families. I really admire the dedication this company has for the work they are committed to achieving.
Pros
the work is very self rewarding. good pay, and benefits.
Cons
hard work but worth it in the end.
Great benefits and nice people to work with
Accounting Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2015
There was never a lack of work so your days were very full. I learned a great deal working at Southwest Human Development in all aspects of the accounting department. My co-workers were friendly and team players. The hardest part of the job was learning the medical billing. What I enjoyed the most was keeping the A/R aging report to a small percentage of outstanding.
Benefits
Excellent model for Not-for-Profit
Bilingual Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2014
I absolutely loved working here. I benefited from a clear set of policy and procedures, and management. They apply 'Reflective Supervision' on all levels which ensures issues are resolved promptly and smoothly with the employees' input.
Pros
team environment, clean office environment, extensive training provided
Cons
high turn over
Cafeteria on site
Facility Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2014
Great team to work with. Benefits are great. Monthly group and individual supervisions. I have learned to create hands on and fun training environments for new employees. I am available to seasoned staff on creating a safe environments for children. I work with State Licensing Surveyors in assuring the sites are following regulations.
Summary
Child Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2013
Start work at 6:30 am until 4 pm and still have work to do at home. We are paid for 39 hours a week and are exempt and required to work much more than 40 hours a week. Training is inadequate and expectations are high. There is a lot of monitoring but is done after the monitoring instead of before.
Cons
no breaks, too much work, no way to use the restroom
committed staff and management
Counselor and Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2013
Significant opportunity to move up the ladder or engage with other departments. Emphasis on quality and ethical work. Depending on department, a very rigorous work schedule. Generous compensation.
Pros
committed management and coworkers. strong ethics. compensation
Cons
rigorous work schedule
Excellent work environment. They don't micromanage and they have great people
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2013
I loved working for SWHD. I wish I could go back but I now live in another state. They are professional and have many opportunities for advancement. Great place to work.
Pros
they don't micromanage
Cons
the pay is not that great. a lot of driving. great benefits though
Productive and well run work place
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2013
This is by far the best company I have ever worked for. Very rewarding position to begin with, and nothing but support and opportunities for advancement.
Pros
make your own schedule, great employees, great company, great benefits, great managers
Cons
get lost in your work, hard to stay organized
Great Place to Work
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2015
This job was exhausting, but equally rewarding. The management have an open-door policy. Everyone I met were lovely and eager to introduce themselves. It is emotional work, but the management really take their time to listen to your concerns and help you in any way they can.
This is one of the best Place I have ever worked
Assistant Bilingual Teacher's Aid & Safety Aid (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2014
This company puts children first, and everyone smile and says hello on a daily bases, which make it a joy to go to work.
Pros
the are building great minds for the future.
Cons
the work hours are not a full 40 hours.
Friendly workplace,kept busy
Facilities Admin Specialist - Buyer for Head Start (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2014
Generally good place to work. Able to manage work with little outside interference.
Pros
good benefits, good people to work with
Cons
not allowed overtime to complete tasks during busy times
Great growing company
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2016
Great place to work and it is always room for growth within the company. Very friendly environment. Company works with children all over the state of Arizona
Very good
.NET Developer, Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2014
SWHD is a non-profit organization that provides socially responsible services that support children and families.
Fun Work place
Child Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2013
Love working with the children as well as the familys. Helping children learn is the most amazing feeling.
For the Love of children and families
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2013
Excellent first place to work. Very large non profit with a supportive environment.
Taxing and Demanding position
Direct Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2013
Not your typical 9-5 position. Must be flexible and a great time manager.

4.3