Southwest Key Programs Employee Reviews

Fun but scandalously unprofessional
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 16, 2017
Southwest Key Program at Tucson AZ is a great place to work if you enjoy working with children and are looking for a temporary job. it is a both fun and sometimes demoralizing environment. The program in Tucson AZ has poor management where employees are not treated equal and promotions are based on who you know and not by hard work nor knowledge of the job. This program has had very scandalous situations where employees have engaged in unethical activities/ behaviors not only with management but with the clients as well and even help clients escape. The program does not follow its own policies nor prioritizes the needs of their clients. Once again if you enjoy working with children, looking for a temporary job and don't mind working at a unprofessional environment nor mind apple-polishing supervisors; Southwest Key in Tucson AZ should do it for you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and unprofessional/unsafe work environment
Fun but no growth
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 16, 2017
I enjoy working here and appreciate the efforts this program has done for the minors. But it is a fun place to work only if you are looking for something temporary and don't care about professional growth. The program in Tucson has very poor and unprofessional management/supervisors. Supervisors/management always bendind the rules and hard work is not appreciated. Growth and advancement is not for those whom work hard nor know the job but for those who know someone and or date someone. The program in Tucson AZ thrives on scandals, favoritism, gossip and unethical behavior. Overall, it is fun.
Pros
Work with children
Cons
Unethical environment
Management has many issues
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 24, 2017
I worked as a clinician for almost 3 years and I was there when we started up a new program. The type of work that you do is very rewarding and the children are on the most part very well behaved. However, the main stress is from management. It seems that depending on the program that you work at the program director and the leads have a lot of leniency on how to run the program. I worked with two different directors and two different leads while being there 3 years. Management has definitely many issues with favoritism and very poor management skills.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ONLY EXPEIRENCE OR A TEMPORARY JOB, then you are in the right place. But if you are looking for professional growth or staying there for a long time definitely not the right place.
You are expected to work after hours, holidays and weekends without any compensation (either monetary or additional leave).
Pros
rewarding work experience, gym membership reimbursement
Cons
Working after hours, holidays and weekends; favoritism
Perspective as a Lead Teacher
LEAD TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 4, 2017
To Whom It May Concern,

I have worked for Southwest Key Programs for the past one year. Although some in upper management are concerned about their employees, most seem not to be, and often do not train their staff, and have an expectation of "sink or swim" mentality.

Often you are put into situations on a daily basis that you must be flexible and change any plans you had for the day to make it a productive and meaningful day for the clients, as there are many staff members who just are not able to perform their job functions adequately and their managers often are apathetic to this or not present.

There seems to be a history of feudalism in this organization, but they seem to be slowly trying to move away from this; although very slowly.

The only positive about working for this organization, are the clients, and the employees themselves (most at least) who truly care about them and the work we do for them.
Pros
Free lunch if direct care, benefits, accrued PTO, and Sick time.
Cons
No training model; non-supportive Upper Management, and an expectation to work countless hours and sacrifice self and family
Lack of work/life balance, stressful environment.
Medical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 30, 2016
A very intense and stressful work environment day in and day out. Upper management speaks down to the staff and doesn't show any appreciation for the hard work and long hours put in. You are expected to be there and working full throttle but it seems as if upper management often slacks off and hands the work down to the support staff.

There are minor situations made a HUGE deal and HUGE issues completely ignored where favorites are considered. Favoritism is a big problem at SWK, IE: other staff members are considered for positions despite there being a wait list. No matter what the favorite does, they will always be backed up and covered.

Email is used heavily when communicating amongst departments and many times used to blame or "show proof" of others wrong doings instead of taking the proper way of communicating verbally.

Unpaid suspension is given out like candy and often used PRIOR to verbal counseling or write-ups.

There are no breaks and have to eat while working.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Everything else
Okay work ..
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2016
The cons about working here,I worked here for a few years and it was always stressful due to the fact that it was un organized,lack of management and no support. There was lots of gossip and always worked the holidays, to much favoristism it made it hard for those who really worked hard. The pros about the job was working with the kids and a wonderful learning experience working with them. It was rewarding and an eye opener to life in general when u meet these wonderful children and learned about there cultures.
my job
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  hacienda del sol, AZJuly 1, 2016
I work first shift currently. The every day routine is great, and you also work straight throug an 8 hour shift. We do a head count every 30 minutes. Our most important job is to supervise the clients. We stand a lot and have strict policies to follow as well as enforce. I learned my do's and don'ts here, as far as professionalism. Our management, unfortunatelty, play favors for those they like; poor at communicating as well. NO one is ever on the same page with eachother. You would also have to be up to a lot of change. Things change all the time. My co-workers are great but don't take advise well either. Overall, I enjoy my job. Most enjoyable part is watching humble minors grow into respectable young people with a ton of ambition. I like what this program is about. Working for this specific facility's team is a challenge. If I could change the world in one day I would and save the management team first.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, and Education
Cons
No breaks, Poor communication, Lack of support
Lack of advancement opportunities.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 14, 2017
There is little opportunity to move up with the company. The pay is poor in most departments and pay raise is almost impossible unlIt is a challenging job, yet, rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Little opportunity to advance with the company, poor pay, lack of strong leadership.
Great experience. Engaging, productive and can be fast paced.
Tracker (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 31, 2016
I really enjoyed my time there. If was a great part time job. Salary earned doesn't begin to compensate for the work you do. There are lots of situations when management was unfair and positions were given based on who you knew rather than what you knew.
Pros
Working with the families
Cons
Sorry pay
Beware
Medical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 5, 2017
Let me start off stating that I love what SWK does for the unaccompanied minors and the idea is great! However, the management, staff, and pay is horrible! Turn over is extremely high!! For example we have had 3 medical leads in 1 year alone! Leads expect so much from you without giving you the proper tools or support to do whats being asked from you. I feel like workers are talked down to a lot there is a huge lack of respect, and Favoritism is a huge problem. There is so much drama/gossip between all the medical coordinators, everyone there goes out of their way to get you in trouble. E-mails are used to show proof that someone made a mistake rather than its true purpose..
This job is extremely stressful and the pay is not worth it. No one there is professional, management does not appreciate employees, they suspend with out pay so they don't have to pay unemployment.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
everything.
Fun place to work with youths.
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Most of the time its a good environment to work with the youths. Ive learned that there are ways to approach to a youth, talk to a youth, redirect a youth etc. Management people are very friendly and easy to reach. The hardest part of the job is when youths don't want to listen but most of the youth will listen if not there will be consequences such as loss of privileges for example not listening to music or playing video games. The most enjoyable part of the job is you getting out of work and knowing you did something good for the youths, knowing that you helped them and make their time go fast.
Pros
Free lunches. Good enviorenment.
Cons
Short breaks.
currently work here
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  tucsonDecember 28, 2016
This place is a disgrace. I work as a medical staff here all we do is push push medical charts around. We have no breaks and management is lazy. They have medical personnel with no medical training or school of any kind doing medical assistant work. its seem to be a nationwide problem with this company i see reviews from TX with the same exact issues as the Tucson location. the medical lead is a joke and loves to talk badly about her employees. This is a perfect job for a drama queen as they love gossip here.
Pros
working with children
Cons
management
Very stressful, a lot to be accomplished in not enough time. Pay is not enough for the amount of work that needs to be done.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXNovember 2, 2016
All positions have a humongous amount of work that cannot be accomplished during a regular shift. Resources are minimum and expectations are big. If you don't accomplish things on time, you easily get written reprimands and negative feedback. Management is not well educated and prepared to supervise and give positive feedback. If you have other options, it is better not to work for southwest key.
Pros
Working with undocumented minors and provide a safe environment while they are in care.
Cons
Everything else
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 11, 2017
If your sole purpose in life is to help others in need and ensure every human being their human rights than this place is for you. Pay is good and they are very strict on how the employee behaved themselves with the client. It's a great place to grow and work load is mot bad compared to other social services organizations. They reemburse for daycare, gym memberships, and even community events you have to pay.
Pros
Growth opportunity, pay, culture
Fun place to work
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Homestead, FL 33033September 22, 2016
Working with SW Key is fun, because your day is different on a daily basis. Depending in which contract or department you work the scheduling and the supervisors may be better or worse. I work as a Transportation Specialist in a contract and our scheduling staff and supervisors could be much better than what we currently have available. My co-workers are fantastic, we are one big family and the atmosphere among the employees is a family, as we all look out for one another. The most enjoyable part of the job, is re-unifying the children with their families. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the supervisors, some of which are not even qualified to be in the positions that they currently hold with this contract.
Pros
Airline miles and great co-workers
Cons
no benefits and some difficult supervisors
They like firing people for bogus reasons
Management (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 2, 2016
Be careful. This agency truly takes advantage of the at will employment law in Texas. They fire people for bogus reasons especially if you are vocal about inappropriate things going on, they will find a way to get rid of you . There is a lot of corruption, favoritism, and upper executive management only takes care of who they like. Definitely not a secure job because they are funded annually and every year decisions have to be made on who gets cut and who stays also
Worst place I ever worked
Lead Medical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston,TX - MesaFebruary 14, 2017
Being bilingual gave me an edge but did not count on the workers that were Hispanic being prejudiced against and sexist to anyone not of their culture, Do not EVER work there or you will be exposed to set ups and people covering up for others,
Pros
NONE
Cons
Worst Place I EVER worked
Program Director (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Responsible for the overall compliance and running of the juvenile justice program. Hire and train staff. Interact with juveniles and parents to ensure that program guidelines are followed
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
Program lost its funding source
Avoid If Possible
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAFebruary 15, 2017
This place is like high school. But what job isn't. However its a very small company for all the drama that happens.The management plays favoritism.Please do your research before you work here.
Pros
some coworkers are amazing and the clients your help
Cons
management, pay, everything except the pros
ok
Teacher Aide Duties (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TX 78520February 15, 2017
The company Is good overall. offers good benefits and has good paying rates. offers opportunity to travel, but has different shift
times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Key Programs. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9