Southwest Key Programs Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible management
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  austinMarch 24, 2016
What I learned was education and who you know will get you hired even if you aren't qualified. Most of the upper management is under qualified and don't know what they're doing. The programs would be great if 1) the organization was not so cheap and money hungry and 2) if the programs were run by management who had a clue. The kids are the ones who lose out. The programs are only important if they make the organization money, and if they don't, everyone is expendable. They don't ever recognize hard work from the community based programs which is terrible because they work so hard and are under paid. The last PD who was hired for the Family Keys program had zero experience however she brown nosed the right people so she got the top spot. Clueless but hey, it's not what you know in Southwest Key. The best part was the kids. They're the best but once you work awhile for them you start to see what others warned you about.
Pros
kids, flexible hours
Cons
no training, favoritism, lack of support from mgmt
A lot of wear and tear on your vehicle
PT Tracker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 22, 2016
Compensation does not cover vehicle maintenance that your vehicle goes through.
Appears to be a good company to work for, especially if you are in a managerial position.
Pros
Able to work excessive hours if you like
Cons
compensation does not meet work requirements
Awful place to work
Tracker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 17, 2016
Very racist. Program director had no idea what she was doing. Barely brought home 200 dollars every two weeks and job required a bachelors. You can't even pay school loans off with that. Disorganized and no structure. Need higher pay for the work that is done and better trainings for people who are supposed to be in a position of power.
Pros
None actually
Cons
Be responsible. Work Hard. Do What You're Told To Do. You'll Do Fine.
Tracker (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 9, 2016
I still work at SWK.

I love it!

If you're looking for a job where you can SIT all the time talking over Coke and coffee this job is NOT for you!

This job requires that you actually FOLLOW the process for the best benefit of someone other than yourself. I do what I do for the sake of the kids. That was the focus of the founder and that's still the focus.

These kids need alot of exacting attention, direction, mentoring and tracking. Their parents, grandparents, guardians need a smile and a positive, encouraging word.

It can be many and long hours. It requires a generous spirit and a giving heart.

People are people no matter where you go. Yes. There will be disagreements, division and people that do not get along.

I love our people in Augusta, GA! They are sincere, hard working, not perfect BUT great to work with!

I highly recommend working for SWK!
Pros
Very rewarding interacting with the kids and families.
Cons
Lots of paper work.
Great work environment
Seasonal Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  San Benito, TXFebruary 26, 2016
The work is very satisfying. Seeing the youth learn the norms of this country. All and over, a great company to work for. The only this is that as YCW you have to stand for extended hours.
Horrible place to work
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 3, 2016
Horrible place to work. I was hired as a family therapist who lived in south GA. All this company is wanting is for you to make their contacts so they can get paid for the number of contacts you make. They didn't inform me I would have counties not around my home town when hired. I had counties 2 hours away from my house which required weekly visits. Training that I had was horrible. The clinical director didn't do her job like she was suppose to. Assigning cases too far from employees home and driving distance was too far which put you to working late hours coming home on back roads in rural South Georgia. Mileage checks are not given to employees on time. You can submit your mileage but clinical director takes her time getting it submitted. If hired with this job, look for something else quick. It's not worth the wear and tear on your vehicle to ride each week to cases 2 hours out from your home. Then the paper work required is ridiculous. Always changing paperwork which requires more work for the employees.
Great place to start a career
YOUTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXDecember 24, 2015
This organization does fantastic work in the community. I am proud to be employed here and think the work is meaningful and satisfying,
horrible place for kids and staff
teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2015
Working here you should expect nothing fair with non- professionals. Nepotism and no solutions for simple problems. Administration and upper management overlook ethical issues because of the nepotism putting kids at risk.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
nepotism, no room to grow unless you are a favorite
good kids, no breaks, lack of pay
youth care worker (Former Employee) –  Youngtown, AZNovember 25, 2015
It has been two weeks of chasing people to find out where my check is no one seems to know ! Only worked for 2 weeks of class training and 2 weeks on the job it's ridiculous how you have to eat on the job, walking around watching over the kids and no breaks! The kids are great it's a good program although the staff is not organized. Administration is a joke ..
Pros
free lunch, get to work with good kids
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, always making mistakes on employees checks.
Disorganized organization with terrible management
case manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2015
A company with a culture of passing the buck. Expectations are no realistic especially for new employees. There is poor employee morale, high turnover, team leads who lack management training and experience. Upper management are micromanagers with favorites. If you are not a favorite or get on their bad side the n forget it. Work is repetitive and you bareley have time to go to the bathroom. Lunch break is 20 minutes and that is if you have time to take one. Co workers try to be helpful but there very little time for interaction and if you are it is looked at as if you are not doing your work. Most enjoyable part of the day is leaving at the end of our shift. Would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Cons
work load, lack of lunch time, employee morale, high turnover, no flexibility with anything
Very Physical, good experiences with youth
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 1, 2015
Working for Southwest Key Programs was a good learning experience within the program there was mostly faults in organization and management. Working with co-workers was very fun and I made some good friendships in the time spent there.
Pros
Every day you did something different
Cons
No breaks, poorly managed
Jr. Prisoners In Training!
I think it was Teaching Aide (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2015
The school I worked at was the last resort for these kids! Worked there for maybe 5 days a few years ago and said PEACE OUT! The physical training I received was very brief and as a professional martial artist I'd say the techniques they wanted staff to use on the students was excessive & dangerous!

In the morning I was required to ride the school bus to pick up the kids. When we got to the destination I had to get off the bus, pad each student down on the street for weapons and contraband in front of everyone then allow them to get on the bus if clean. We would ride to school in silence and once there, boys entered through one side and girls in another. As they entered the school they are searched AGAIN! They had to take off their shoes so we could check them for false bottoms and such, feel the inside seams of their shirts, Check their hair for bobby pins (girls were only allowed to use an elastic band to hold hair) Also, girls had to pull their bras away from their body and shake. Once checked they get their shoes and head to class. I found this process very humiliating!

No-one was allowed to bring any school supplies or issued books, or homework. Everything was done in class and all supplies were signed for and returned prior to leaving the classroom. Everything was counted, down to the last pencil or NO-ONE was allowed to leave until the missing item was returned! I FELT LIKE I WAS A GUARD IN A TEEN PRISON MOVIE!

Treat children like criminals and that's what you will get! I had no idea there were school like this in operation!
Pros
Staff seemed nice. Great place to work if you have no emotions.
Cons
Everything else!
Complex but educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Americus, GASeptember 22, 2015
It was a good place to work and to understand how the Department of Juvenile Justice works. It was very interesting. Hardest part of the job is having reports sent out on time and double checking each file daily.
Pros
Good coworkers
Horrible Place to Work!
Medical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2015
Reliant location** Working here will make you start to question your worth as a person and as an employee. There is no support for employees, Management will only look out for themselves and their friends within the company. It is bad when you are the "new guy" and EVERYONE tells you to watch your back. If you even dare to waste your talents here watch out for the people that supervise you They will literally slave you and make you feel like you have no rights as an employee. working here you will be overworked and underpaid. It is not worth it, Run away as fast as you can!!!
Pros
Cons
Working here
Very stressful job.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Canutillo, TXSeptember 18, 2015
The job was hard because we had to deal with minors. They looked up to you and counted on you to keep them safe. A lot of responsibility but very rewarding. The people were great to work with but management was not always the people you can count on. I loved to travel with this company and the kids.
It's great doing good things for kids
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2015
Get a post inside the facility the whole night, float every fifteen minutes to count clients while sleep and in the morning wake them up for breakfast and attend their concern. Management is poor in professionalism and coworkers are hard-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the farewell to clients so they can reunite with their family finally.
Pros
Good health insurance.
Cons
salary increases is not expected, ever.
stressful work place
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  San Benito, TXAugust 21, 2015
It was a very stressful work environment. Coworkers were more concerned about snitching to management than the youth. Management had a lot of favortism.
youth care worker
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 27, 2015
I worked there for 6 months and then they had to lay off mostly all the staff. It can be a fun job but the management are very poorly trained and don't know how to treat employees.
Good Benefits, needs better supervisors
Alcohol and Other Drug Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TexasJuly 15, 2015
Poor supervision and assertiveness from program supervisor. Slow movement toward progress. However, I do think it is a good company with good services and benefits.
Drowning in Nepotism
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 13, 2015
The job itself is not complicated. However the people who work there make it harder for everyone. Upper management is super biased and refuse to do anything to help anyone but themselves. Hire mainly family and give them all advancement opportunities, and refuse to be fair towards the general employees. (THEIR FAMILY IS UNTOUCHABLE and everyone knows it). There is NO Grace period, so if you are one minute late you are fired on the second offense. Refuse to make the environment pleasant for everyone who isn't related or a favorite and require ENTIRELY too much for not enough pay. When mgmt is mad at you, they are EXCEPTIONALLY RUDE and manipulative and try to get you fired. They go as far as to lie on you and twist your words when they want to. You don't get a real lunch break or any other break for that manner. You have to ask to go to the bathroom and have to wait for extended amounts of time to do so. Also, they will say that they will work with your school and family schedule, but that is a flat out lie.
Cons
No Breaks, Upper mgmt is RUDE, Nepotism, Nepotism, Nepotism.