Southwest Research Institute Employee Reviews

diverse environment
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2016
Recommend SwRI to work. Projects are real and diverse. Work load is not too much. staff are all very well educated and friendly. offers excellent retirement plan and inssurance
Pros
diverse work
Cons
senior oriented company
Ok
Level 3 Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78238November 4, 2016
SwRI is overall a great company. Some divisions are better than others. Know that going in.

Have great functions for employees and families, fitness center and program, cafeteria.
Pros
Great worklife, functions...
Cons
can be extremely stressful depending on your position.
Great place to work.
Principal Machinist / Kinetic Systems (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 6, 2017
SwRI provides a great, family friendly environment with lots of flexibilty. The campus is scenic and easy to get around. The work-life balance is also enjoyable.
Great place to work.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 24, 2016
Wish I were still working there! Close to home. Great employees. Intelligence and educated professionals everywhere.
Always interesting people with scientific backgrounds and disciplines make it fun to work.
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2016
A non-profit research and development company contracting with federal and state government entities such as the armed forces and other segments as well as private companies who seek help in creating new products and services.

I enjoyed my time working there as a clerk where my day was never too boring in that I did a lot of different things that occupied my attention and helped the workday pass by fast.

Most everyone was easy going and seemed to appreciate my help in my role as a clerk. It was fun and interesting place to work. Also people were interested in helping you do your job well by providing their experience as well as a program provided by the company to assist in tuition at local colleges and universities.
Pros
Varied tasks, divided day between in office and making campus and off campus runs in provided vehicle.
Cons
Could be put under pressure on short notice projects, and would have to stay late hours to make deadlines.
Stable Company with Good Benefits
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2016
Overall, this is a pretty stable company that you can stay with for your entire career. Many people work here for 20+ years. Salaries are okay, but not stellar. The insurance and retirement plans are very good. They offer a 403(b) plan (essentially the same as a 401(k)) and automatically contribute 9% of your salary (out of the company's pocket) to your account, regardless of the amount you contribute yourself. This is much better than the matching plans most companies offer.

What a typical day at work is like varies greatly depending on which division you work for. Each division functions somewhat autonomously and has its own culture and management style. Work is generally project-dependent, and engineers/scientists/analysts at all levels are expected to help bring in new projects, though to what degree depends on your skillset and current workload.

There is also a cafeteria that offers subsidized meals on site, as well as a gym to which employees and spouses have free access.
Pros
Retirment, On-site gym and cafeteria, interesting work
Cons
Average salary, periods with little project work
Great Place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2016
Employee friendly company with decent benefits. Has employee fitness center which is a plus. Management is employee focused. There great room for career advancement.
Pros
Fitness Center
Cons
Pay scale
Fantastic experience
Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2016
Coming straight out of college, working at SWRI was a position hoped for but was pleasantly surprised to acquire. Management and co-workers were helpful, courteous, and professional.
Pros
Great work environment, positive management and co-workers
Cons
Sitting down all day
I had a great time while employed with SWRI. Something different to do everyday
Machinist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2016
I worked on the fabrication side of the Institute and had the freedom to use the machinery as I saw fit create proto-type and job shop parts. The benefits and pay were very competitive.
Benefits
Cons
None worth mentioning
Good Benefits if you are a permanent employee
Clerk/Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 20, 2016
Contractors don't get the benefits and even if you work hard and they want to make you a permanent employee HR just gets in the way.
Benefits
Cons
HR
Interesting work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 8, 2016
The work was all project based and many were classified or under NDA. I learned a great deal while here with great coworkers. Company morale was always low but the pay was good.
Innovative work place
Automotive Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Fuel and lubricant research is innovative and interesting to be a part of. However, the shift work can be demoralizing at times in addition to the limited interaction and communication with vary few co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the outstanding working relationship that I share with the others on my shift.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Personal interaction
Great place to learn and work for long term
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2016
Work is very well managed and there are small software groups who work independently in each division. This is a great place to learn, being a Non-Profit research company it offers you a lot of chances to learn and research on new things. Management is great and things are transparent. The environment can get boring though as you get your own office and sometimes you can miss socializing with people if you are a person who likes to socialize. Work is fun but things can take sometimes too long to be applied. Overall, I had great experience here.
Pros
9% investment by the Institute in 403(b)[no 401(k) since it is a Non-Profit company], lots of fun things to do on campus, full gymnasium, basketball court, federal credit union
Good place of work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  SwriMay 19, 2016
It is a good place to work or to gain experience. I enjoy working here and the employees are welcoming and friendly. The management here is well structured.
Great work environment , great Co-workers
Rick Castro- Supervisor of Special projects (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2016
SwRI was one of the best work experiences I have had in a while. Co-workers and management were a joy to work with. One of the best companies to work for.
Pros
good hours, pay and worker-employer relations
Great place to work, very diverse range of projects
Sr. Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 15, 2016
There are a variety of different divisions that focus on different aspects of engineering that allow you to collaborate with different types of people and projects.
Pros
Full gym, great retirement
Professional
Lead Stack Technician (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARJanuary 26, 2016
Everyone on my shift had a great understanding of their duties and knew what and when to complete their tasks. We were on call while on shift to respond to any alerts to the control room. We had to drop what we were doing and respond accordingly.
Productive and interesting place to work
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2016
SwRI is to place to work if you enjoy varied and challenging projects. Definitely not your typical corporate environment; it is closer to a university atmosphere.
A great company to work for!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 6, 2016
SwRI has great benefits and lots of interesting people and projects. The campus is beautiful and the staff is friendly.
Emmissons Research
Emissions Lab Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2016
The best part is being a part of an industry that helps the environment. I worked in a laboratory that did research on emissions standards and fuel economy research.
Pros
helping the world

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Research Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4