Southwest Research Institute

Southwest Research Institute Employer Reviews

The best place to work ever.
Administrative Receptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TexasJuly 19, 2014
Pros: great company and personnel.
Cons: i moved to idaho.
I resigned after eight years of employment and have never been so sad to leave a job. I wish I still worked at Southwest Research Institute.
Productive and interesting place to work
Senior Electronic Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2014
With over six years at Southwest Research Institute, it's quite easy to say I learned a great deal. Daily tasks changed from day to day. The people were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Overal Excellent Company
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2014
Pros: always learning
Cons: long hours
Good working environment. Good co-workers and great leaders.
low pay and subsequent lay offs
laboratory (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2014
Low pay and lay offs. Constant struggle getting new or returning clients.
Interview
General Clerk 2 (Former Employee), San AntonioApril 24, 2014
I'm going for an interview for General Clerk 2 Admin support. Has anyone worked in that position? How much is pay or benefits? What kind of questions do they ask during an interview?
Great People
Air Monitor (Former Employee), Hermiston, ORMarch 22, 2014
I was a great place to work at. Workers got along well with each other and with management. There was lots of opportunities to learn anything you wanted in the lab.
outstanding culture
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), san antonio, texasMarch 18, 2014
My experience at SWRI was very challenging, rewarding and a place I always looked forward to going to work.
Great place
Lab Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 2, 2014
This is a great place to go if your looking for a career. They will stick with hours promised and provide great benefits
Laid back enviroment, slow advancement
Student Engineer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: on-site cafeteria and fitness center, laid back atmosphere
Cons: slow advancement
SwRI has a nice laid back environment. Management encourages innovation. Advancement can be slow.
Busy Work Days
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 18, 2013
Id gather up all the work i had accumulated for the week, then id see which job was higher priority and work from there. A typical day was busy. Other days, had to scrounge around for work but i always had something to do. I always got to see interesting things, the perks of working for the government.
Productive and focused on mission completion. Supportive and team oriented. Promoted educaion and indivual goal achievments.
Analytical Lab Dept. Laboratory Technician II (Former Employee), Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility, OregonAugust 31, 2013
Pros: on going education.
Cons: working the dupont schedule.
A typical day involved:
• Performing safety checklists of laboratory facility and RCRA inspections of SAA and 90-day waste storage areas.
• Collecting, cataloging, and organizing samples for analysis.
• Analyzing samples using Agilent 6890 Thermal Desorption GC-FPD instruments.
• Using LIMS and Chemstation programs.
• Managing hazardous waste in accordance – more... with regulations.
• Analyzing process samples for pH, density, specific gravity.
• Compiling data packets per QC standards.

Periodic Duties included:
•Training in extracting and analyzing samples for agent presence with GC/MS/XSD instruments.
• Emergency response.
• Forklift operations.

The most enjoyable part of my job at SwRI was being part of a team. In my previous job, I performed 75% of my duties in a lab by myself. This job gave me the opportunity to work side by side with others, as a team, supporting each other in accomplishing our goals.
One of the most important things I learned working as a team member, is that good communication skills are essential for the safe, compliant, and efficient completion of tasks. Communication is what moves all efforts in a forward direction to achieving company and personal goals, which results in team unity and overall client satisfaction. – less
Professional yet friendly environment for performing pratical R&D
Student Engineer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 23, 2013
Days were spent in the lab, performing hands on research, or in the office, analyzing data and summarizing findings
Challenging work environment
Senior Research Engineer, Center (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2013
SwRI is a good place to work, with a lot of diversity among the divisions. The only drawback is that each person is responsible for writing proposals and bringing in projects. This can be very challenging because there is a lot of competion that tends to be less expensive the SwRI.
Sr. Research Analyst, Automation and Data Systems (Former Employee), san antonioJune 24, 2013
Pros: benifits
Cons: contract work
Worked on several new technologies with out of the box solutions. Great benifits and management.
Opportunities for growth
Principal Scientist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2013
Pros: challenging projects, technically competent colleagues, room for professional growth
Cons: proposing ideas with commercial viability is challenging, some technical areas can be too susceptible to economical fluctuations, or government funding
Good place to work, excellent benefits, challenging projects. Good place for driven individuals. Stimulates individuals to pursue business development activities, as well as participation in technical professional societies. Good place for people with scientific and technical ideas. Decent mentorship program. The only drawback is that technical areas – more... can be too dependent on specific markets or Government funding. – less
Truly, excellent company to work for.
QA/QC Technician II-3 (Current Employee), Umatilla, ORApril 15, 2013
Pros: terrific benefits and retirement contribution.
Cons: very few satellite offices outside of san antonio.
Working for this company has been quite an experience. They have provided me with the opportunity to work with some of the most dangerous chemicals on earth as well as sending me to training it places I would never have gone on my own including one of the most exclusively remote locations that has not been visited by too many civilians. If it were not – more... for the limited number of satellite offices, soon to be zero in Oregon, I would remain with this company. I just cannot seem to make myself leave my beloved Oregon for San Antonio, where our headquarters is located.

Safety, safety, safety! Safety and compliance are the number one priority at our site and we have done an amazing job adhering to those standards. This is something I take home with me every day which drives my family crazy at times but when you are bombarded with it every day, it tends to stick with you.

The people I work with, what can I say but that they are the best and make those tough days much easier to deal with. Most days are pretty routine but there are days when we get overwhelmed with projects. Sometimes the entire department is required to be present to observe and support testing evolutions. These can make for some long days. Those days are numbered now as our project gets closer and closer to site demolition. It will be hard to say goodbye to the people I have been working with for over a decade. It has been incredible and I hope to find that same feeling of satisfaction and family with my next job. – less
Educational and challenging
Chemistry Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 10, 2013
Pros: on site gym
Cons: unpredicable work hours
Plan day according to sample holding times and due dates. Prep, digest/distill samples and analyze. Write up results and peer review other analysts results. Turn in final data packages with narrative. Trained new empoyees in my section.

Learned how to multi-task and plan work schedule for more efficentcy.

Hardest part of my job is trouble shooting – more... faulty instrumentation.

Most enjoyable part of my job would be not being micromanaged. – less
its not busy, good place to have as a second job
Senior Chemical analyst, contract employee (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2013
where I work it is not busy. I work the night shift, and am in school so I get to study while working.
Great benefits, employee programs
Operation Support Group Supervisor (Current Employee), Hermiston, ORMarch 8, 2013
Pros: matching retirement
Cons: contract job
Focused on quality and employee improvement. learning environment. busy. open door management style.
n/a
Senior Chemical Analyst (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2013
A dynamic facility to work and grow. The fact that our biggest client pulled research funding from existing projects has caused a hiring freeze. I am currently a contract employee and would like a more stable enviroment.

About Southwest Research Institute

If you're looking for research at an institute in the Southwest, look no further. Founded in 1947 by oilman and rancher Thomas – Read more