SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Not the best
Department Chair (Former Employee) –  CincinnatApril 13, 2017
I entered the realm of higher education intent on making a difference in students' lives and hoping to prepare them for their careers. This school was less interested in the well-being and preparation of the students and more interested in money. Students were consistently taken advantage of by the admissions department and lured into programs under false pretenses. The management, which is no longer employed there, was incompetent and unreliable. In my opinion, an institution of higher learning should be held to higher standards.
Sad Atmosphere
Adjunct Faculty - Psychology (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAApril 6, 2017
This college needs happy faces planted as trees to remind all to smile. The atmosphere is depressing and it rubs off on anyone in a heartbeat. The position of the president is like a revolving door. I have nothing nice to say about this college.
Pros
Cons
Where do I start?
,Southwestern College
Assistant of Coach (Current Employee) –  Winfield, KSMarch 26, 2017
Southwestern College is a small , family oriented , caring school.
i absolutely love my coworkers as well as my boss.
I would recommend this school to everyone.
Very good job where employers learn a lot of information related to school
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day at work is dealing with students all day. Typical day at the office is administering paperwork and answering phone calls to students, prospective students, and international students as well as parents. From working at the office you learn a lot of communication skills and a lot of the schools policies which is a very helpful skill. The workplace culture is a very fun one where people enjoy working there and are usually there for you when you need assistance. The hardest part of the job is helping students while trying to finish paperwork, but it is a job that is very doable if you balance your time right. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the joy in peoples faces when you know you helped them to a full extend.
Pros
very flexible hours, very friendly staff, good workplace.
Cons
not a good place to grow
Work while attending college
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, caJanuary 26, 2017
I was a tutor for MESA while I was a student. It was wonderful helping other students with their studies and it was the best feeling when the other students finally grasped whatever concept they came to me for help with. Very flexible, work between classes and also a great place to meet people with similar career goals.
A great and fun community college
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Balancing work and studies was difficult but doable. Workplace culture is a bit of a balancing act as can often be part of the workplace adventure. Overall a memorable and fun experience.
Pros
experience
Cons
pay
Full Scale work with multiple tasks and schedules
Computer Operator - Evening (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Best in the West; A fun place to work, great co-workers, great climate.
Non stop work, assisting the entire Campus community all day long.
High Skilled work with consistent results for Staff and Faculty.
Assignments are both consistent and varied.
Co-workers are professionals, work as one.
Hardest time is when electricity runs out.
Most enjoyable is when everyone is served and assisted accordingly.
Pros
Busy work schedule
Cons
cold environment
N/a
Assessment Administration (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 13, 2016
Great work place environment. Staff will become family, they truly care about your well being and your success within the company.
Excellent school
Medical Assistant Clinical Intensive Training (Former Employee) –  National City, CAOctober 30, 2016
I love the environment of this school and the instructor was great. I learned so much in the time I was there. It helped me improve as a person. This training was great ill recommended to anyone.
Very flexible
Mathematics tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2016
Flexibility for student workers is one of the best pros for working at Southwestern College. Great opportunity to help others.
ok job to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSJune 9, 2016
The job was ok to help with expenses while in college. I met a lot of people while there and it was a great experience in my life. Cant wait to go back and see everyone
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor Alredo Herrera (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 4, 2016
A typical day would consist of organizing and ensuring that technician responsibilities are addressed accordingly, and assisting students with equipment.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting learning environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2016
Hold discussions with the students to talk about the usual set up of the operating room. We discuss scenarios and best practices.
Great School
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Winfield, KSApril 13, 2016
Overall great experience to go to this school. I attended this school from 2013 to 2016, it was challenging, and rewarding
Great Place to work
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winfield, KSApril 8, 2016
The Southwestern College faculty and students have an excellent bond that makes working and learning an outstanding environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Safety/Lab Intern (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 15, 2016
The person I work for provides a comfortable work environment. Very understandable and flexible when I needed time to take care of other issues.
Co workers are professional, fun and positive people to work with. They are very pro active and encourage advancement in position and education.
Surgical Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 17, 2015
Management is great and work with you when in comes to family emergencies. Everyone works great together as a team to accomplish goals.Coworkers are positive and professional. The hardest part is when you have to fail students for not putting in their best effort and you know that they have so much potential. The most enjoyable part is when knowledge is passed on and you see that little light go on in their head and they get it. I love empowering students with success through added knowledge.
Pros
Retirement benefits for part time
Cons
No health benefits for part time
Safe Place
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 9, 2015
I had several Jobs between my classes at the school. I worked as a dishwasher and serving food for two years. I worked at the library. And, I worked as a math tutor during my last semester.
Pros
Schedule
It was ok
Warehouse Clerk / Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 19, 2015
It was a great place to get experience; although, they tend to lay off a lot of people after the first 2 weeks of the semester.
Pros
Discount on books
Cons
Mainly a temp job
A very flexible job for busy students
Biology Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSJuly 1, 2015
The job is a work study position. It's rather informal. Each day of work involves the assistant asking the biology professor what needs to done that day. Tasks vary from cleaning glassware to helping setup labs.
There may not always be something for the assistant to do, so work hours won't be the same every week.
With advanced notice, the assistant can opt to turn down work in favor of focusing on their classes.
The job is a perfect for busy students that need just a bit of income when they have the time.
Pros
hours are flexible, low entry barrier
Cons
lack of structure, limited hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2