SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE Employee Reviews in United States

Co workers are professional, fun and positive people to work with. They are very pro active and encourage advancement in position and education.
Surgical Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 17, 2015
Management is great and work with you when in comes to family emergencies. Everyone works great together as a team to accomplish goals.Coworkers are positive and professional. The hardest part is when you have to fail students for not putting in their best effort and you know that they have so much potential. The most enjoyable part is when knowledge is passed on and you see that little light go on in their head and they get it. I love empowering students with success through added knowledge.
Pros
Retirement benefits for part time
Cons
No health benefits for part time
Productive and fun workplace
Safety/Lab Intern (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 15, 2016
The person I work for provides a comfortable work environment. Very understandable and flexible when I needed time to take care of other issues.
Great Place to work
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winfield, KSApril 8, 2016
The Southwestern College faculty and students have an excellent bond that makes working and learning an outstanding environment.
Safe Place
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 9, 2015
I had several Jobs between my classes at the school. I worked as a dishwasher and serving food for two years. I worked at the library. And, I worked as a math tutor during my last semester.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
A very flexible job for busy students
Biology Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSJuly 1, 2015
The job is a work study position. It's rather informal. Each day of work involves the assistant asking the biology professor what needs to done that day. Tasks vary from cleaning glassware to helping setup labs.
There may not always be something for the assistant to do, so work hours won't be the same every week.
With advanced notice, the assistant can opt to turn down work in favor of focusing on their classes.
The job is a perfect for busy students that need just a bit of income when they have the time.
Pros
hours are flexible, low entry barrier
Cons
lack of structure, limited hours
It was ok
Warehouse Clerk / Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 19, 2015
It was a great place to get experience; although, they tend to lay off a lot of people after the first 2 weeks of the semester.
Pros
Discount on books
Cons
Mainly a temp job
good for students who need a job especially those with busy class schedules
Student Services Admin (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 17, 2015
i would say i would like to work here again but the pay is too low especially for full time students and management pretty much watches you do all the work and will roll their eyes at you if you have someone who needs help from them.
Pros
good for busy class schedules
Cons
treated poorly for minimum wage
Bookstore Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAApril 8, 2015
Assist teachers and students receiving or given books they need from the reserve desk, checking books to receive or to give to the students or teacher as needed

The hardest part is shelving books at the right please

The most enjoyable part is to be in a place where we have all kind of books video and cassette of any kind of information
Productive and reliable place where I learned too much
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work started at 7:00 a.m. organizing people who was waiting to reach the different services offered there. Giving information about stakehorders rights. Also directing people to the medical and administrative services they were looking for.
I learned how to deal with the needs required by people everyday, as much as, the best way to meet them easily, which was the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was looking at them grateful for being helped.
Military Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  McConnell AFB, KSMarch 24, 2015
The staff, co-workers, other colleges and the military are all nice, work well together and act like a family. I enjoyed the flexibility in the work day, and the work load is intense at times, but manageable.
Productive and educational place that prepares multitudes of students
Admissions & Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSDecember 23, 2014
This school is one of the most intimate and and close-knit facilities of higher education in the world. The staff are all 100% committed to the success of its students. It also boasts one of the most beautiful campuses in Kansas.
Small, wonderful college community to be a part of.
Affiliate Professor (Current Employee) –  Winfield, KSMarch 29, 2015
Instruct students in an online or in person environment. Faculty members collaborate for the greater good of the students.
Family oriented and fast pace environment.
Career Service Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 21, 2014
-Met one on one with students and graduates to format resumes and schedule interviews with employers
-Organized graduation events and activities to help increase hiring rates
-Scheduled employer meetings to discuss hiring needs and to build rapports
-Completed employment verification and waiver paperwork for graduates
Pros
family oriented atmosphere with the opportunity for training and development.
Cons
hearing that a graduate did not land a job.
Fun and long days at workplace
Administrative Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2014
Work was always the same everyday. I learned how to maintain extensive knowledge of Southwestern's database, data entry at an efficient speed, maintain professional etiquette while providing excellent customer service, design promotional material, organize/plan events, general office duties (answer phones, file, email, etc).
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shorts breaks
Productive workplace with a lot of customer service.
Clerk/Typist (Current Employee) –  National City, CAAugust 7, 2013
A typical day at work would be answering phone calls of students and prospective students, filing students folders, assisting with general class counseling, and helping student who walk in with questions. I learned how to provide great customer service to our customers. My management and coworkers are very helpful and nice to me, which is the most enjoyable part of the job. the hardest part of the job is understanding the computer system and the program they use.
Pros
great hours that revolve around my school.
Cons
part time job, minimum wage.
College
Student (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KansasAugust 15, 2013
I never worked at the college but the professional environment was very attractive and is what made me obtaining my degree possible. Had it not been for the layout of the class format of seeing current to future week assignment and work loads I could not have been able to maintain my work / life balance of school a mother, a working professional and any kind of leisure activities.

Salary doesn't apply below but I'll fill it out.
Pros
professional lay out
Cons
tuition is high
Terrible Work Environment
Instructor (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiFebruary 4, 2013
I was hired as a full-time instructor with a pretty reasonable salary for my first job out of college. Benefits were fine as well. However, the environment is toxic. Full-time instructors are required to work 50-60 hours a week and take on all sorts of work not in the job description. There's no such thing as a break week -- beyond preparing for your classes, you're also expected to take on the administration's work in cold-calling students.

The emphasis here is on retention -- the administration will always support students to keep them enrolled, even if they threaten/harass teachers, never show up to class, etc. If you don't have to work here, don't.
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
long hours, no respect
Love working with the students
Allied Health Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 12, 2012
Early Student Engagement Coordinator: To develop and implement an effective tracking system of students assigned in order to address their needs for retention purpose.also to utlize all departments of the institution as necessary for students issues.This includes helping students find tutorial assistance, community resource referrals, and working with each department of the institution based on the need of the student. Also to ensure a successful progress alone the student’s life cycle.
Pros
free shrits!!
Cons
need more time for lunch
This school needs better leadership
Educational Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 10, 2012
Overall, the work that I did at SWC was quite easy and not difficult at all. (To be honest, I thought I was over qualified to work at SWC.) I loved working with the instructors and helping them out with their courses.

However on an negative aspect, the administrative leadership of this institution was terrible, moral suffered badly, the unions slowed any type of advancement, and nepotism ran rampant with unqualified personal. Overall SWC should close as a educational institution and become a mall.
Pros
great benifits, work was quite easy to do and satisfying.
Cons
administration, unions, nepotism, no chance for advancement or quality improvement.
Enjoyed teaching Business/Mangement to students.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 29, 2013
The class started on time and with mostly adult students the course was very enjoyable.

What I learned is that we are not too old to learn.

The management was OK. Very seldom saw management to be able to discuss any issues. All was on-line and no personal contact.

Got along very well with other co-workers. Shared ideas and any equipment that was required for the lectures.

The hardest part of the job was making contact with on campus staff.

As always the most enjoyable part of the job were my students and interaction with had about our personal life and the subject matter.
Pros
facilities and students
Cons
university moved out of state

4.2