Southwestern Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent company.
Senior Staff Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Excellent company. Open Management. Good benefits. Outstanding people.

Start a day with a 1 hour commute to my office. Meetings every other day related to drilling/Project activities. Get back to my office to work in planning and operational control of Wells in my área. Proposals and AFE approvals. Regulatory meetings to approve preliminary plats. Sometimes working overnight in detecting landing point depth to start drilling of horizontal borehole.
Perhaps, attending too many meetings during the week makes it the hardest part of the job. Working side by side with excellent professionals is very enjoyable and a constant learning process.
Pros
Open Management. Good peers. Nice cafeteria.
Cons
Too many meetings. Unbalanced work distribution.
SWN is a great workplace with a bunch of great empoyees.
Water Team Sr. Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARDecember 16, 2015
SWN is a great place to work. The managers and employees are a tight group of people that take their jobs seriously. Each group has to work closely with one another to make the work flow take place without a mishap. Everybody is a top notch worker that is an expert in their field. We were allowed to improve upon any procedure to help the company and this happened often. The hardest part of the job was in the early years of the water team having to deal with things 24 hours a day 7 days a week until we got our processes in line. I really enjoyed the comradery that we all had and the success that we enjoyed day in and day out. Every job that we completed was a challenge and a win.
Pros
Family oriented, goal oriented, great benefits, excellent co workers
Cons
Cons are the ups and downs of the industry.
Swn
Certified Land Analyst/Registered Landman (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 18, 2016
SWN was my favorite opportunity. I really enjoyed the culture and the people. SWN also provided excellent benefits to its employees. I acquired many degrees and certifications in my 10 years at SWN. I had a great work life balance and personable supervisors.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Industry
great job
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARFebruary 6, 2016
i loved working at southwestern energy. unfortunately, the oil and gas industry is not doing so well as it usually takes cycles. i and many others were impacted by this and what we feel as bad decisions made by upper management that led to a 44% personnel reduction. given that, i wish i was still able to work there due to the friendly staff and benefits.
Pros
awesome benefits
Cons
boom or bust industry
Excellent place to work
Operation Center Team Lead (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work, excellent culture and benefits, had a great career growth and worked with great technology and people.

I would go back to work there again
Pros
Great benefits and Culture
Good people to work with
Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
I worked for three years as contract accountant at GeoSouthern. I pretty enjoyed the entire time there. I was involved several projects which gave me a sense of value and belonging. My work was appreciated and praised.
Pros
No free food, but we did go out for lunches occationally.
Cons
Commute was about two hours a day.
Awesome benefits but have to know someone to advance
Field Operator I, II (Former Employee) –  Damascus, ARNovember 29, 2015
You can go up some on your own performance but have to know someone to get to advanced positions. Great benefits. Work/Home balance got better once upper management wanted to cut back on overtime.
Pros
Benefits, company vehicle
Cons
Good Ole boy system still exists
Excellent Pay
ASSISTANT DRILLER (Former Employee) –  ArkansasMarch 9, 2016
Excellent Pay
Good benefits
I had an excellent crew
Subject to volatile market pricing
Some poor decisions made in my opinion as far as mineral purchases from company already in trouble
Good people
Construction Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARDecember 10, 2015
Has been a good company to work for. The work was enjoyable and the benefits competitive. Biggest downside is that the oil and gas business is cyclical and right now, its down.
Over all a wonderful company to work for.
Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 26, 2015
Great company, enjoyed the experience and the environment, loved the volunteer opportunities and the company promoted growth and development..
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Moved to the Woodlands
Great place to work and great people to work with.
Water Team Field Operator (Current Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 22, 2015
Fun and challenging place to work. Laid back work atmosphere. Got to meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends. Supervisors did not micromanage.
Pros
Great benefits, great work environment
Cons
Sometimes long commute to work
Great carrier opportunities
Operator, Blow-Out Prevention (Former Employee) –  Damascus, MDAugust 19, 2015
Typically a work day is very productive.
I learned a lot about the process of natural gas exploration.
Management was top notch.
Couldn't ask for better co workers.
Working in the heat but i managed very well.
Safely performing productive work in a dangerous industry that millions of Americans depend on.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Excellent company.
Cons
High risk work.
Fun, Relaxed Environment; Takes Care of Employees
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2016
Fantastic company that was unfortunately hit hard with the downturn in the Oil and Gas industry.

Worked in a 9/80 environment with a collaborative team.

Management was very hands on but trusted their employees to get the job done. Conducive to asking questions.

Placed strong emphasis on learning while on the job.
Pros
Brand New Building, Great Stock Options
Cons
Bloated Management, Good Ol Boy System of Promotions
You decide
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Great company to work for, but in the end having to cut your work force by 45%, you can see where there are issues in the company.

Would work for again if given the right opportunity and the leadership proved to be a lot better.
Pros
great balance to personal and work life
Cons
management
Need a change
Accounts Payable Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
The building has been moved and the drive is way too difficult for me to make. I love my co-workers but management is not all that great. There isn't much job upward mobility and I am looking for that in this stage in my career. Things have slowed down because gas prices are low.
Pros
Flex Fridays
Cons
Upward mobility, career growth
Pleasant and professional place to work
SENIOR SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 15, 2016
Work load can be heavy since we are supporting a 24 hour operation. Adequate training has been provided which are very useful in our jobs. Management and co-workers are typical for a company that have seen growth in a short time - pleasant and professional, eager to make their contribution to the company. Completing projects and seeing it helping the users is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free gym
Over all a good company that needs to look at their management choices
Network Engineer II /Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Really love to work with my co-workers. And being with the company for 10 plus years I have acquired a great deal of friends. I was unfortunately that the company made such bad choices which sent the company down. They say they did what ever they could to keep from laying off but I do not think it was possible to avoid it. I enjoyed my 10 plus years working for Southwestern Energy.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Great environment with effort to accommodate comfortable workplace.
Geosciences Staff Analyst (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 22, 2015
Before the downturn, there was plenty of work to do. It involved a lot of well information to position and update. I learned about the onshore division strategy which was completely different from the offshore and international divisions I worked in. Management was supportive and I appreciate Southwestern for giving me the opportunity to work there. My co-workers were easy to work with. So much cooperation and willingness to share their information to advance. The hardest part was the amount of work to do before the downturn but the most enjoyable part was the effort to give assistance.
Pros
Fitness Center, Rideshare program
Cons
Long distance but was worth it!
Wonderful Work Environment
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Southwestern Energy's environment was warm and friendly. A general day consisted of the review and processing of a variety of invoices ranging from completions, productions, drilling, inter-company, fleet etc. For the most part, the work load was fairly easy. My initial training took a little longer than expected; but once I got the hang of this I was up and running through invoices. The most enjoyable part of Southwestern Energy was working under a supervisor whom believed in Jesus. His beliefs were displayed in his spirit and easy-going personality. The environment was goal driven and I truly enjoyed working for the company.
Good job to work at, good people.
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Damascus, ARApril 22, 2016
Very busy work day overseeing 16 mechanics, keeping job assignments going, dealing with the venders, ordering parts, going to meetings everyday. On the go constantly. Making sure everyone was wearing safety gear and abiding by company policy.

Very nice people to work with, enjoyed working with them.
Hardest part of the job was being away from family.
Most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new everyday.
Pros
Great environment to work in, great people
Cons
Away from family, On the go constantly

4.2