Southwestern Energy Employee Reviews

Excellent company.
Senior Staff Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Excellent company. Open Management. Good benefits. Outstanding people.

Start a day with a 1 hour commute to my office. Meetings every other day related to drilling/Project activities. Get back to my office to work in planning and operational control of Wells in my área. Proposals and AFE approvals. Regulatory meetings to approve preliminary plats. Sometimes working overnight in detecting landing point depth to start drilling of horizontal borehole.
Perhaps, attending too many meetings during the week makes it the hardest part of the job. Working side by side with excellent professionals is very enjoyable and a constant learning process.
Pros
Open Management. Good peers. Nice cafeteria.
Cons
Too many meetings. Unbalanced work distribution.
Swn
Certified Land Analyst/Registered Landman (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 18, 2016
SWN was my favorite opportunity. I really enjoyed the culture and the people. SWN also provided excellent benefits to its employees. I acquired many degrees and certifications in my 10 years at SWN. I had a great work life balance and personable supervisors.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Industry
SWN is a great workplace with a bunch of great empoyees.
Water Team Sr. Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARDecember 16, 2015
SWN is a great place to work. The managers and employees are a tight group of people that take their jobs seriously. Each group has to work closely with one another to make the work flow take place without a mishap. Everybody is a top notch worker that is an expert in their field. We were allowed to improve upon any procedure to help the company and this happened often. The hardest part of the job was in the early years of the water team having to deal with things 24 hours a day 7 days a week until we got our processes in line. I really enjoyed the comradery that we all had and the success that we enjoyed day in and day out. Every job that we completed was a challenge and a win.
Pros
Family oriented, goal oriented, great benefits, excellent co workers
Cons
Cons are the ups and downs of the industry.
great job
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARFebruary 6, 2016
i loved working at southwestern energy. unfortunately, the oil and gas industry is not doing so well as it usually takes cycles. i and many others were impacted by this and what we feel as bad decisions made by upper management that led to a 44% personnel reduction. given that, i wish i was still able to work there due to the friendly staff and benefits.
Pros
awesome benefits
Cons
boom or bust industry
Excellent place to work
Operation Center Team Lead (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work, excellent culture and benefits, had a great career growth and worked with great technology and people.

I would go back to work there again
Pros
Great benefits and Culture
Excellent Pay
ASSISTANT DRILLER (Former Employee) –  ArkansasMarch 9, 2016
Excellent Pay
Good benefits
I had an excellent crew
Subject to volatile market pricing
Some poor decisions made in my opinion as far as mineral purchases from company already in trouble
Awesome benefits but have to know someone to advance
Field Operator I, II (Former Employee) –  Damascus, ARNovember 29, 2015
You can go up some on your own performance but have to know someone to get to advanced positions. Great benefits. Work/Home balance got better once upper management wanted to cut back on overtime.
Pros
Benefits, company vehicle
Cons
Good Ole boy system still exists
Good people to work with
Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
I worked for three years as contract accountant at GeoSouthern. I pretty enjoyed the entire time there. I was involved several projects which gave me a sense of value and belonging. My work was appreciated and praised.
Pros
No free food, but we did go out for lunches occationally.
Cons
Commute was about two hours a day.
Fun, Relaxed Environment; Takes Care of Employees
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2016
Fantastic company that was unfortunately hit hard with the downturn in the Oil and Gas industry.

Worked in a 9/80 environment with a collaborative team.

Management was very hands on but trusted their employees to get the job done. Conducive to asking questions.

Placed strong emphasis on learning while on the job.
Pros
Brand New Building, Great Stock Options
Cons
Bloated Management, Good Ol Boy System of Promotions
Good people
Construction Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARDecember 10, 2015
Has been a good company to work for. The work was enjoyable and the benefits competitive. Biggest downside is that the oil and gas business is cyclical and right now, its down.
Job planning/production and safety were a main priority as well as team work to acheive the goals of daily rig operations.
Drilling Operations Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARAugust 21, 2016
A typical day at SWN always started with a safety meeting explaining the agenda and operations for the day. Then, we would relieve the other crew shift, getting information on the operations and progress of the drilling rig. Then I and my crew would take over and begin the operations for our shift.

Working at SWN I learned the importance of preparations, teamwork, leadership, and over all job safety.

Management at SWN was very interactive and genuinely involved and concerned with employees.

The hardest part of working for SWN was traveling and time spent away from family.

The most enjoyable part of working for SWN was the camaraderie, job benefits, and the emphasis on safety.

Working for SWN for 10 years has been an honor and a privilege. The pro's certainly outweighed the cons.
Pros
Job safety, free lunches, company trucks, benefits, and bonuses.
Cons
Being away from family/missing holidays and special occasions and working in bad weather conditions.
Good benefits and nice offices, tough crowd
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 16, 2016
Not very open to new things or new people. Nice equipment and some nice people. They are undergoing senior management change and things are tough in the industry right now for them and everyone else. Enjoyed getting to learn new things and they have some of the best technology in the industry. It was challenging to learn all their different programs without any guidance or training offered.
Pros
nice facilities, pays well, still offers pension plan
Cons
very closed nit organization, hard for new people to break into and gain acceptance
Over all a wonderful company to work for.
Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 26, 2015
Great company, enjoyed the experience and the environment, loved the volunteer opportunities and the company promoted growth and development..
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Moved to the Woodlands
Great place to work and great people to work with.
Water Team Field Operator (Current Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 22, 2015
Fun and challenging place to work. Laid back work atmosphere. Got to meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends. Supervisors did not micromanage.
Pros
Great benefits, great work environment
Cons
Sometimes long commute to work
Great carrier opportunities
Operator, Blow-Out Prevention (Former Employee) –  Damascus, MDAugust 19, 2015
Typically a work day is very productive.
I learned a lot about the process of natural gas exploration.
Management was top notch.
Couldn't ask for better co workers.
Working in the heat but i managed very well.
Safely performing productive work in a dangerous industry that millions of Americans depend on.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Excellent company.
Cons
High risk work.
You decide
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Great company to work for, but in the end having to cut your work force by 45%, you can see where there are issues in the company.

Would work for again if given the right opportunity and the leadership proved to be a lot better.
Pros
great balance to personal and work life
Cons
management
Good job to work at, good people.
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Damascus, ARApril 22, 2016
Very busy work day overseeing 16 mechanics, keeping job assignments going, dealing with the venders, ordering parts, going to meetings everyday. On the go constantly. Making sure everyone was wearing safety gear and abiding by company policy.

Very nice people to work with, enjoyed working with them.
Hardest part of the job was being away from family.
Most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new everyday.
Pros
Great environment to work in, great people
Cons
Away from family, On the go constantly
Pleasant and professional place to work
SENIOR SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 15, 2016
Work load can be heavy since we are supporting a 24 hour operation. Adequate training has been provided which are very useful in our jobs. Management and co-workers are typical for a company that have seen growth in a short time - pleasant and professional, eager to make their contribution to the company. Completing projects and seeing it helping the users is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free gym
Workin in the oil field
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARAugust 31, 2016
I worked 12.5 hours a day
I learned to work together under extreme conditions
I management was hands on and apart of all jobs
My co-worker and I live around each other 24 hours a day
The hardest part of my job was leaving my family, but that is my job
The most enjoyable was the time off to spend with my family
Need a change
Accounts Payable Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
The building has been moved and the drive is way too difficult for me to make. I love my co-workers but management is not all that great. There isn't much job upward mobility and I am looking for that in this stage in my career. Things have slowed down because gas prices are low.
Pros
Flex Fridays
Cons
Upward mobility, career growth

4.2