Southwestern Michigan College Employee Reviews

Southwestern Michigan College
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJanuary 16, 2017
SMC was one of my favorite places to work, it is a very fun and modern place to be, everyone is very nice and helpful. My responsibilities at SMC were mainly internal auditing. The hardest part about my job at SMC was loving it too much!
Pros
Fun, exciting place work
Great working atmosphere
Desk Clerk, Student Activities, Fitness Center (Former Employee) –  58900 Cherry Grove Rd, Dowagiac, MI 49047January 11, 2017
I learned how to communicate with various people in different positions. Set up, participate, and clean up various activities, and how to keep the place running and looking presentable.
Management was great and I loved my bosses.
My coworkers where also wonderful and very helpful in picking up or trading each others shifts.
The jobs assigned to me weren't that hard. Probably not being able to work more then 20 hrs per week or having something conflict with classes when I wanted more hours.
Being able to talk and interact with other students and faculty was probably the most enjoyable and also making those connections.
A very fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJanuary 9, 2017
A typical work day would be clocking in, sitting at the front desk, even though I didn't sit for long. Handing students equipment such as pool sticks and balls, ping pong paddles and balls, checking out pools for swimming, game controllers, racquet ball equipment and much more. I learned how to communicate with other students and older people that live in the community. The management changed when I was working there but they were both great. The co-workers were fantastic as well! The only hardest part of the job was coming into work when it was snowing like crazy outside and I had to walk from my dorm to the building, other than that, it was great! The most enjoyable part of the job was all of it.
basic job environment for entry level desktop support
Computer Technician for Beak Squad (Former Employee) –  dowagiac, MIDecember 14, 2016
the job was okay, it was work study because SMC is all about making money but not compensating for employee benefits, no guarantee for job advancement for employees that are trying to progress because some older employees would be threatened by your knowledge and ambition. Prepare to be cuthroated
Pros
chance to develop good customer service skills, hands on experience
Cons
very competitive environment
work
Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Nurse Aide Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MINovember 13, 2016
Great college with instructors that care. Would have stayed forever if I didn't move. Great people. would suggest this job for anyone.
Pros
experience
Cons
lack of flexibility
great place to work
Building & Grounds Manager (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIAugust 25, 2016
I really liked my job there but I was ready to move back to NC, to be back around family. I was in charge of 11 buildings, which I looked after each day in some fashion, I took care of heating and Air condition, it was busy work, I liked my team members we all got along great, very nice place to work. The hardest part was plowing snow in the winter and trying to keep up with it. But it was ok, Graduation was a big thing, but nice, I really liked all the people there it was very close family. Over all I miss being there ,But also glad to be back in my home state,
Pros
vacation days, sick days
Cons
Insurance was not the best
Good company
English/Speech Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJuly 25, 2016
If you came in as an adjunct, you may stay an adjunct for a while. You just have to find another job so that you can keep up with your bills. Great co workers and they are always willing to assist you with any issues you may have.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
bad pay
A community college that does well by students, faculty, and staff.
Tutoring Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJune 15, 2016
A community college that does well by students, faculty, and staff.Tutoring services, which I coordinated and faculty both provided excellent support services for students, and I believe still do.
Good Job
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIAugust 7, 2015
Loved this job being a full time college student. The hours were flexible and it was very easy to pick up extra shifts. The upper staff was very friendly.
Productive work environment with a security based employment,
Southwestern Michigan College Student Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work included maintaining an clean and safe work environment, I learned to work the processing computers to process over night guest and visitors.
Pros
Allowed to work on homework while working.
Cons
Made to sit in one spot for prolonged times.
excellent
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niles and Dowagiac MichiganMay 24, 2015
Absolutely loved teaching at the college level. Worked well with this age group and loved the wonderful class discussions. My co workers were professional and positive. I learned much about adapting my curriculum to different learning styles. The hardest part of the job was dealing with large numbers of absences from students. The most enjoyable part of the job was the student appreciation.
Pros
appreciation
Cons
not enough hours
Good Student Work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIMay 13, 2015
An engaging and challenging work environment. You get to setup laboratory equipment and become more familiar with equipment that many students might not have the opportunity to do.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Limited hours
A Great Place to work!!
Professional Tutor - Substitute Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MiApril 28, 2015
Great people, great technology, and great hours!! A pleasure to work with the people and to help students to reach their academic goals.
Great learning experience
Welding Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMay 2, 2014
I found this job very interesting and it was a great learning experience.
Great community college with small university feel. Dedicated to student growth.
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MISeptember 16, 2013
Duties, as lead instructor, extend beyond classroom. I am the program administrator, enrollment recruiter, curriculum designer, and multiple committee member.
Pros
Challenging and rewarding
Cons
Some semesters classes start at 8:00 am and end at 10:pm
Facinating place to work
marketing intern (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIAugust 1, 2013
The college was a great place to work. There was always a new project that you cold be a part of to help keep the job fun and stimulating.
Pros
great experience
Cons
thin on staffing
A great place to do your work study
Weld Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, Mi.June 19, 2013
I am grateful for the experience to work for the college while attending. It has enhanced my studies with some hands on knowledge, that coupled with the fact I live with an engineer has been important ingredients in the enhancement of my degree.
Fun and relaxed work place.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIApril 11, 2013
I would sit in the learning center at SMC and assist students with homework or just help them study something they found difficult. I also helped shadow a class. This enabled me to know exactly what the students were working on and how the teacher taught that subject.
Was a student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  dowagiac, miFebruary 9, 2013
was a student worker. Good jobs to get a student the experience they meed.=
Fun job for only twice a year
Solo and Ensemble Worker (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJuly 20, 2012
I get to work with great people in my band class, and I get to manage a room with a partner. Between the two of us, we manage the play times so the students perform at their scheduled time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwestern Michigan College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3