Southwestern Michigan College Employee Review

View all Southwestern Michigan College reviews

Overall was a good learnning enviornment.
Full Time Student/Auto Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIApril 30, 2013
Good class studies but when it came to working in the lab sometimes there wasn't enough instruction. Tools and equipment was great the environment was cool. Instructor was cool just wish there would of been more than one.
Pros
Awsome tools and equipment.
Cons
Not enough Lab time with Instructor.

Other Southwestern Michigan College Employee Reviews

Good place to grow
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIAugust 17, 2017
Working at Southwestern Michigan College really helped me to grow and improve my skills in the customer service field. I am confident in asking people what they need help with and figuring out what we need to do in order to satisfy the customers needs.
Pros
Upbeat atmosphere
Over-worked /Under-paid
IT (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJune 22, 2017
IT is definitely under paid, making it hard to keep employees in the department (the reason i left is because i could no longer afford to work for SMC). My work duties were increasing but my pay was not. MOST employees are requires have a bachelors degree to be hired in IT but they were not being compensated fairly or appreciated for it. I felt as though SMC has no idea how important IT is to their overall business. Bottom line, IT degrees are not cheap or easy to obtain and there seemed to be no way to move up (title wise or monetary). All raises are based of percentage. The employees already making money, make more money while the under paid get cents on the dollar for raises.
Pros
Sick time and vacation time
Cons
Health care and salary