Southwestern Michigan College Employee Review

View all Southwestern Michigan College reviews

Fun and relaxed work place.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIApril 11, 2013
I would sit in the learning center at SMC and assist students with homework or just help them study something they found difficult. I also helped shadow a class. This enabled me to know exactly what the students were working on and how the teacher taught that subject.

Other Southwestern Michigan College Employee Reviews

Good place to grow
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIAugust 17, 2017
Working at Southwestern Michigan College really helped me to grow and improve my skills in the customer service field. I am confident in asking people what they need help with and figuring out what we need to do in order to satisfy the customers needs.
Pros
Upbeat atmosphere
Over-worked /Under-paid
IT (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJune 22, 2017
IT is definitely under paid, making it hard to keep employees in the department (the reason i left is because i could no longer afford to work for SMC). My work duties were increasing but my pay was not. MOST employees are requires have a bachelors degree to be hired in IT but they were not being compensated fairly or appreciated for it. I felt as though SMC has no idea how important IT is to their overall business. Bottom line, IT degrees are not cheap or easy to obtain and there seemed to be no way to move up (title wise or monetary). All raises are based of percentage. The employees already making money, make more money while the under paid get cents on the dollar for raises.
Pros
Sick time and vacation time
Cons
Health care and salary