Southwestern Motor Transport Employee Reviews

competative and funand lay back work atmosphere
Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
A good place to start with no experience room for growth in expanding your knowledge you are expected to be on time and to perform task this company will give you opportunity to try new things
However they only pay straight time pay no over time pay so no time in half pay
Pros
benefits and steady pay
Cons
no over time pay
good job
Lift truck operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 29, 2017
southwester motors transport has a good service great management and a good crew to work, also great to security, good time to work and the benefits to work there never have a bad experience.
Dirty, Raggedy, Unsafe.
Local Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 14, 2016
Very raggedy old trucks and equipment. Nothing works, not even pallet jacks. This company is VERY behind. Unsafe work environment. It's ridiculous for a company to be in the condition that this company is in. Do not know how they keep drivers or are still in business for that matter. If you like driving raggedy, beat-up, dirty, filthy, outdated, unsafe trucks, then this is the place for you. Or if you love being overworked in a oven for a truck all day for a freight company low 19.00 an hour, this is your dream job. Lowest standards of all major LTL freight companies.
Pros
You can always find another job
Cons
Where do I begin....
Great Co workers
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 3, 2016
My coworkers are the best people I've ever worked with I won't change anything. My manager was the best. He always worry about the guys and he would making sure the drivers got what they needed to make that truck roll. Even though people did not know what I did. If you go ask the guys they would say I did a lot. I never mine getting dirty, help fueling for the next day. I would get under trucks just to get a part number. I wasn't always sitting in the office all the time. I worry as much as my manager did about making sure that truck roll. Where ever it might have been. Everyone who I had contact with always told me that I care to much. I told them if I didn't who would. Even drivers appreicate that I would double check if ever thing was okay with them when they were broke down. I work with men all night. Sometimes they would be surprise I would not say no on helping out. Even if I had my nails done that day. Regardless whatever I was told to do I did it. I can say that my department was a great place to work. I wish I had the chance to say goodbye, but even to the last day I still followed orders from my manager on what he want me to do even if I really just want to stay goodbye deep down. The guys are the best coworker I have ever had to work with. If someone ask me about working in that department I would tell them that it is the greatest department. I have nothing negative to say about the company. Just thank you again...
Pros
Coworker hang out after working hour for some bowling. Cook out
Nice employees, but lacks organization.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2015
The employees were nice and made the work day enjoyable, but the company lacks organization and needs to prioritize work loads.
very old fashioned basic work eniviorment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxAugust 17, 2015
Entry level type job if your looking to get some experience in the freight industry helped me learn the basic most of the ins an out of that type of business
IT co-worker very responsible and professional
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 22, 2015
nice people, always professional, honest, hard workers. everybody know what are the expectation and know the company policy and maintain a good relationship with other offices.
good ppl
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2014
Good people/ below avg pay. Everyone I worked with was fair and most of the staff there was quite fun.
Great work environment,with high expectations for efficiency
TRANSPORTATION LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2014
Clock in at 6pm go to my office witch was located at the front entrance of the main trucking yard.i would start the day off with some paper work and data entry then start D.O.T. (department of transportation)... inspections for every truck and trailer that came in or out of the yard.at 12am i would report to central dispatch to log in and start to coordinate local and national loads of freight until 6am. They hardest part of my job was trying to get a hold of customers and distributors at 2:00 am - 4:00am because one of my drivers is either there to drop off or pick up a load and there`s nobody there to receive or fill the order. The best part of my job was the people i worked with.They expected a lot but were invested in putting you in the best position to succeed.
Pros
christmas bonus
Good people to work for
dockworker/city driver (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 7, 2014
They have out dated equipment and they have no benefits for employees. Pay is low for the amount of work you have to do.
Pros
1 hour lunch is nice
Cons
not enough money
good job but no more than 40 hours a week
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 29, 2014
is a stable company but only 40 hour a week no overtime I like it but I need to work more hours.
Great place to work for
City Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2013
A typical day at work I'm driving and picking up freight,management is cool, co-workers are cool.
Being in my truck alone is the most enjoyable part of my day.
Satisfying and Frustrating
Human Resource Generalist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, Texas 78218October 15, 2013
I enjoyed going to work everyday. I was always busy and everyday went by so fast. I dealt with Contractors, Company drivers and all levels of management throughout the company daily. I was responsible for a variety of different jobs and duties. I was always willing to do more and was very efficient in my work. Although I felt very knowledgeable and accomplished in the 17 years I worked there, only the first 5 years did I feel appreciated and backed up by my Supervisor. The last 12 years The management at SMT Lines was both unprofessional and unqualified. It could be a very uncomfortable place to work at times..being bullied or ridiculed by management if they didn't like you. That would have to be the hardest part of my job, not being appreciated and not receiving our 10% pay cut back, as promised!!!
Pros
Family owned, owner was wonderful
Cons
Not enough structure in the departmental duties. Pecking order was none existent..
almost no home time, and usually only 34 hrs.
OTR/LINE HAUL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 4, 2013
lonely job. hardly ever any verbal communication. tough to schedule off for doctor appointments etc. always a learning experience. management usually indifferent to ones needs unless it was an emergency. i hardly ever saw co-workers unless we were waiting for loads at same place. hardest part of job was the inability to know what was next, very frustrating.i loved the open road.
3 days is all I needed to determine SMT was not for ME
Class A CDL driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2013
I was lied to from the beginning about home time. During orientation the four of us were told we were temp drivers for the first 90 days. Three that were supposed to have attended orientation found out the truth before class started, all three abruptly left before they even entered the class room. Looking back, I would've done the same thing.

My first day on a route I was told to be at the Dallas terminal Wednesdayn at 8pm. I was there on time. I didn't end up leaving until after midnight. I was driven to El Paso for our only delivery. Not much opportunity to learn the proper way to do paperwork. The next morning I was on my own. Note I was told prior to arriving for my first day I would be home by the weekend. Once I was dropped off in El Paso I was to deliver my first load to Midland. The tractor I was given in El Paso had no fuel and I wasn't given a fuel card. Dispatch stopped short of calling me dumb for not having a fuel card. Needless to say fueling was a pain in the butt.

My biggest problem was with dispatch. They treated me like a driver that had been working there for years....assuming I knew their abbreviations and jargon. I kept telling whoever would listen I needed to be home Friday night.

Long story short...I didn't get home until Saturday afternoon. which would have been later if I hadn't drove the truck back to the terminal got out and left. I told company over and over and over again I had to be back and they expected me to make another delivery. I I told them I would make that one last delivery and then I was heading back. After which they expected
  more... me to make one more delivery which I did not.

once I arrived at the dallas terminal d person at the gate informed me that he was called and was told not to allow me to enter that I was to go back to denton to make another delivery. I'd told him I was not going back to denton and he had told me to pack the truck up in parking on the street in front of the building. I been gone all my belongings let the keys in armpit work in the truck and I went home.

now they're accusing me of abandoning company equipment on a public street. Really?
Pros
nothing
Cons
all the rest
would not recomend
dock loader (Former Employee) –  dallas, txApril 1, 2013
Very unorganized, unprofessional. Too much favortism in the management. If management doesn`t like you they criticize everything you do. No motivation towards the workers what so ever. Not enough pay. Worst of the worst freight. 50 hours plus a week with no overtime. No family time because you're stuck there on the weekend.
Pros
its a job
Cons
a whole bunch
not the typical job
Vehicle Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dallas TxMarch 17, 2013
if u need a job this is an alright place to work. if u want a career this is not the company. There is no guidelines or SOP to follow so job security is not stable.
Pros
it was a job oppurtunity
Cons
to many
Learned a lot over the last 13 years.
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2012
I truly loved my job, however the pay is not competitive, the benefits are non existent, and the insurance is not very good.
I got along well with my co-workers, I respected management even though I did not agree with how they managed.
The job was always challenging that is what I loved most about it.
Pros
13 years ago when i needed a job, smt was there.
Cons
doing the work of 4, having your pay cut by 10% over 3 years ago, and never getting it back, supervisors not handling bad situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwestern Motor Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7