Southwestern Oregon Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Work Study program, hands on training while getting a higher education.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORNovember 3, 2015
The tutor lab was a great place to begin learning how to be an office manager. I worked closely with the tutor coordinator and learned many skills to assist her. There was a lot of mentoring and then I was allowed to be on my own to put the things I had learned into practice. I had the same work study job for all 3 years. I was able to run the whole office and anticipate the needs of the tutor coordinator.
Pros
Hours revolved around school hours
Cons
temporary work study job
Fun work environment
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORAugust 16, 2015
I worked in the Registration and Records office at SWOCC and it was one of the best jobs I've had. We had a fun group of ladies that worked there as a team as well as occasionally doing things outside of the office. This job included regular research tasks, working by yourself, working as a team and working with the students, all of which I really enjoyed. I think the most challenging part of the job was when we would process batches of registrations for classes in other areas, and we would have to balance the totals for those registrations with the total amount of payment collected for them. They did not always match, which was difficult to reconcile at times.
Pros
Management and co-workers were all supportive of each other.
Good place for study and work.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORJune 29, 2015
The SWOCC tutoring lab is a really good place to work. I enjoyed tutoring and getting to know my co-workers. A typical day was pretty light and easy until midterms and finals. That's when the tutoring lab would fill up. It could get a bit noisy, but nothing detrimental. I learned about how to teach math to different people from different backgrounds. Some were changing careers and needed to return to math. Others may have missed a day or something. I tutored one girl for an hour because her teacher made no sense to her at all - lots of learning styles out there. My co-workers were brilliant - learned people and fun to chat with. The most difficult part of the job for me was just when midterms and finals came around. The lab would just fill up to the brim. The most enjoyable part of the job was tutoring and getting to know my co-workers.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere, good co-workers and students. The manager ran a tight ship, but she was pleasant to be around.
Cons
None, really. Occasional impatient student - but you have to learn how to deal with different people, pleasant or not. Life.
Loved the job!
Mail Services/Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORAugust 15, 2014
It was a great place to work. I loved everything about the job. The staff and the students.
Pros
loved everything about the job
Southwestern Community College
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORMarch 3, 2014
It was enjoyable working at the college. Co-workers were supportive and knowledgeable.
Pros
peer staff very supportive.
Cons
management was retailatory to members of the union.
Great Seasonal Work
Sanitation and Groundskeepin (Former Employee) –  1988 Newmark Ave. 97420January 24, 2013
Job that allowed me to choose my hours while working and going to school. The pay was alright and the duties simple. Overall great supplemental income for students on the federal work study program
Pros
choose your hours
Cons
need more workers
Great environment overall
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORFebruary 29, 2012
As with any large organization, there are always the difficult ones. However, there are far more outstanding people to provide a positive experience, at least for myself.
Pros
overall positive culture
Cons
some difficult personlaities.

4.6