Southwestern University Employee Reviews in United States

Great community, questionable leadership
Assistant Director and Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXOctober 5, 2015
SU boasts a great group of people to work with, no matter what department you're in. The work-life balance is great; it's a wonderful place to work for if you have young kids. However, the organization struggles with overall strategy and direction, which stems from leadership. It can be challenging to feel like your work contributes to a larger goal.
Pros
incredible people, great school, awesome retirement contributions, great insurance, awesome work-life balance
Cons
low salary, poor management/leadership, lack of strategy/direction
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 14, 2015
This was a student held position, so I guess it could be seen as work study. It was part time and I basically made my own hours. My boss was friendly and always checked in on us (which was expected as it was a laboratory setting). I enjoyed the job, temporary as it was, and enjoyed the real world experience.
Pros
made own hours
Cons
very little training
Great professor to work under
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 18, 2015
great teaching experience in an undergraduate university. the professor was wonderful to work under. part-time job, so no benefits.
Pros
Teaching experience
Cons
Minimum wage
Great Place to work
QB Coach and Football Operations (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 23, 2014
Southwestern University is a great place to work. The environment was extremely positive. Besides coaching football, my job was recruit and build relationships with young male student/athletes. Help monitor academic career. The best part of the job was building and maintaining relationships/friendships with the student/athlete and their families.
Pros
travel
Productive with flexible hours
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  On CampusApril 14, 2014
Good on campus job during school. Learned time management and accountability
Pros
management, flexible hours
Cons
salary
Close-Knit Community with Strong Commitment to Academics
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXApril 6, 2014
Southwestern has an exceptionally strong culture of high achieving students and dedicated staff. It's a friendly, welcoming organization, with a great new president.
Cons
sometimes a little too small
School
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 20, 2014
I go to school here and am not really qualified to rate general employment here. We watched for only 2 hours a day, once a week.
A good atmosphere to come work.
Public Service Officer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 12, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have the freedom to do my job without someone checking on me at all times. The hardest part of my job is not having any type of insurance. My co-workers do what needs to be and management are doing what they to do make to the workplace function properly. What I learned is just do your job. A typical day at work is a quiet atmosphere with everyone doing their job.
Pros
free access to the fitness facilities and other facilities on campus.
Cons
no insurance
Fast paced and social
Pirate Outreach Program Caller (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXSeptember 29, 2013
I loved my coworkers and we all got along really well, we didn't have much time for personal talk since we would just eat for 20 mins then do about 3 to 4 hours of calls depending on the night. Everyone was busy and it seemed to be a non-stop stream of calls but at the end of the night we left and was glad to see each other the next day to talk and eat dinner together.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
hours could change at any time without much warning
This is an institution of higher learning, not a workplace
Graduate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 31, 2013
That being said, it was an amazing place to learn, thrive, and grow as an individual and academic.
Pros
small classes, research with professors at a masters level in undergrad
Cons
too small, limited in funding and departments
Great people to work with at the university.
Senior Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJune 27, 2013
I was provided the freedom to do my job with little to no supervision. My primary responsibility was supporting the Vice President for Enrollment Services. However, I was also responsible for supporting the division staff as well. I was the "go to" person within the organization. My knowledge of the organization and university structure enabled me to provide assistance and needed information to Enrollment Services personnel.
Pros
free parking, reduced prices for meals on campus, free tickets to campus productions and concerts.
Cons
working long hours without being compensated for overtime hours worked.