Southwestern University Employee Reviews

The kinesiology department is wonderful.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 23, 2017
The only department I dealt with was my own (KIN) and the professors there are extremely intelligent, hardworking, and passionate about their work. The other departments I cannot speak as confidently on.
University on campus job
Box Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 22, 2017
It was a job only for students. Not hard, laid back until show week/nights. Had to set up our tickets and bundles with the third party company. Easy work if you go there.
Hands on, Labor Intensive, Valuable Experience, Amazing Mentor
Studio Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 17, 2017
Being a Studio Assistant was labor intensive, very physical. The information and experience gained from this job was phenomenal and it is able to help me pursue my future in the art world.
Productive and self-paced working environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 16, 2017
A typical workday at my data entry job consisted of self-paced and monitored data entry into the system. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the constant influx of information but the most enjoyable part was being able to ensure that the football program's information was able to stay up to date.
Student
Financial Analyst Honors Program (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXApril 12, 2017
Southwestern is a great place to study and broaden yourself. You get to know your teachers very well and they can help you grow immensely. The student body is small and you get to know everyone.
Interesting place to work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXApril 6, 2017
I receive a very limited amount of assignments and is a very slow paced environment. I have not received any training and rely upon the internet and my best judgement. I am not being used to my full potential.
Pros
Work hours are Monday through Friday
Cons
Work ethic of most employees is below standard
Great Place for a Student Worker
Market Technician-Financial Analyst Program (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 25, 2017
Southwestern University is a great place for a student worker taking a full load of classes. The work is not hard and you can study while working when applicable.
It was extra cash while in University
Computer Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXDecember 12, 2016
I worked as a tutor for people who had computer science related questions. I would sit in a designated area for the duration of a designated time period and would help anyone who came in with computer science related questions until my shift was over.
Quiet, private workplace
Admissions Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXOctober 3, 2016
This job required extreme attention to detail and respect of confidential student information. Filing and keeping files in order was imperative. The most difficult part of the job was how quiet the environment was. As a student worker, we were not allowed to talk and as a result, the hours went by slowly, but it was a relatively simple and beneficial job, all the same.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Too quiet
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 19, 2016
Overall this job was a blast! I enjoyed meeting new people and getting to form relationships with residents and getting them connected to the university. Typically, the job included creating hall events and being a resource for new students to know where to go for things relate to student life, as well as enforcing residence life rules. My coworkers were amazing and willing to help out on night when you were "on duty", or basically being on call to help out with lockouts and other minor emergencies that occurred in the residence halls. Tasks included keeping weekly reports of going ons in the residence halls and attending meetings to find out what events where happening on campus to inform residents about opportunities for greater social life. The hardest part of the job was that you would be required to be on campus 2-3 nights a months so you had to have a good sense of time management to keep up with the times you had to be on call. It was a great opportunity to learn more about campus and learn how to be an approachable person to a lot of different people while maintaining authority as well.
Pros
Leadership Skills, Networking Opportunities
Cons
Low wages
Great community, questionable leadership
Assistant Director and Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXOctober 5, 2015
SU boasts a great group of people to work with, no matter what department you're in. The work-life balance is great; it's a wonderful place to work for if you have young kids. However, the organization struggles with overall strategy and direction, which stems from leadership. It can be challenging to feel like your work contributes to a larger goal.
Pros
incredible people, great school, awesome retirement contributions, great insurance, awesome work-life balance
Cons
low salary, poor management/leadership, lack of strategy/direction
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 14, 2015
This was a student held position, so I guess it could be seen as work study. It was part time and I basically made my own hours. My boss was friendly and always checked in on us (which was expected as it was a laboratory setting). I enjoyed the job, temporary as it was, and enjoyed the real world experience.
Pros
made own hours
Cons
very little training
Great professor to work under
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMay 18, 2015
great teaching experience in an undergraduate university. the professor was wonderful to work under. part-time job, so no benefits.
Pros
Teaching experience
Cons
Minimum wage
Great Place to work
QB Coach and Football Operations (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 23, 2014
Southwestern University is a great place to work. The environment was extremely positive. Besides coaching football, my job was recruit and build relationships with young male student/athletes. Help monitor academic career. The best part of the job was building and maintaining relationships/friendships with the student/athlete and their families.
Pros
Travel
Productive with flexible hours
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  On CampusApril 14, 2014
Good on campus job during school. Learned time management and accountability
Pros
management, flexible hours
Cons
salary
Close-Knit Community with Strong Commitment to Academics
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXApril 6, 2014
Southwestern has an exceptionally strong culture of high achieving students and dedicated staff. It's a friendly, welcoming organization, with a great new president.
Cons
Sometimes a little too small
School
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 20, 2014
I go to school here and am not really qualified to rate general employment here. We watched for only 2 hours a day, once a week.
A good atmosphere to come work.
Public Service Officer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 12, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have the freedom to do my job without someone checking on me at all times. The hardest part of my job is not having any type of insurance. My co-workers do what needs to be and management are doing what they to do make to the workplace function properly. What I learned is just do your job. A typical day at work is a quiet atmosphere with everyone doing their job.
Pros
Free access to the fitness facilities and other facilities on campus.
Cons
No insurance
Fast paced and social
Pirate Outreach Program Caller (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXSeptember 29, 2013
I loved my coworkers and we all got along really well, we didn't have much time for personal talk since we would just eat for 20 mins then do about 3 to 4 hours of calls depending on the night. Everyone was busy and it seemed to be a non-stop stream of calls but at the end of the night we left and was glad to see each other the next day to talk and eat dinner together.
Pros
Free Dinner
Cons
Hours could change at any time without much warning
This is an institution of higher learning, not a workplace
Graduate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJuly 31, 2013
That being said, it was an amazing place to learn, thrive, and grow as an individual and academic.
Pros
Small classes, research with professors at a masters level in undergrad
Cons
Too small, limited in funding and departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwestern University. Our community is ready to answer.

Southwestern University Reviews by Location