Sovereign Bank Employee Reviews

Excellent Customer Service Experience
Personal Banker/ Teller I (Former Employee) –  Plaistow, NHOctober 7, 2015
Great interaction with customers but the quotas and goals overpower your ability to care about customer needs. Most customers become frustrated with constant sales pitches which makes meeting goals very difficult to reach.
Pros
Great Experience to put on resume
Cons
Upper Bank Managment is too pushy
great place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Schuylkill Haven, PASeptember 21, 2015
Great place to work, nice building, and nice location. As an employee you get great benefits like paid vacation and paid holidays.
Offers good banking products as well.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
short lunches
Sovereign Bank
Licensed Bank Employee (Former Employee) –  Marlboro, NJSeptember 21, 2015
Although I did not enjoy working at Sovereign Bank, I did learn and gain enough experience to begin my career at JPMorgan Chase.
N/a
Licensed Bank Employee (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2015
There was no typical work day. What was required of you changed from day to day. While job hours were specified, they also changed day to dat based on District managers instructions. Call nights went from being one night a week, to two nights a week, to three nights a week. The company would take your regular hours away from you so that you didn't go into overtime (because the company didn't want to pay you overtime) and felt that if you had to stay and work extra hours at night making calls, they adjusted your time by either scheduling you to come in later, leave earlier or take longer breaks so you weren't on the clock and didn't surpass 40 hours.
Sovereign Bank
Analyst (Former Employee) –  East ProvidenceAugust 26, 2015
It was a great company to work for, everyone was treated with respect and acceptance in the front and progress was visible. My department was closed due to crash of 2007 and staff reduction was needed. I have not been there since it became Santander but from what I am hearing from other employees, improvements are being made. They recently started the Diversity Group.
Pros
Good brand and people and solid management
Cons
Progress takes time
Typical Banking place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abington, MAAugust 20, 2015
I was pleased to be part of the branch that I were working at. We worked as a family where everybody cared about each other. Still now, we meet and dine at different occasions.
Pros
Free points and gifts for meeting our goals
Cons
Short breaks
Nice friendly environment to work in.
Deposit Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 11, 2015
Never actually worked for Sovereign Bank. My position was abolished. Waypoint was a very family oriented company. They made sure your family needs always came first.
Nice place to work.
Customer Service manager, (head teller). (Former Employee) –  Marcus Hook, PA and Chadds Ford, PAJuly 27, 2015
I liked working in the Marcus Hook branch. Marcus Hook is a small little town. A lot of our customers were elderly, it made me feel so good to be able to talk to them and help them. It was a nice work place, did not have a ping pong table, but had a lot of places to eat, and a consignment store I visited every day on my lunch break and bought a lot of nice things there.
Pros
45 minute lunch break
Cons
short breaks
terrible
Branch Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 27, 2015
terrrrrible company to work for. Do not care about employees, benefits or helping. they make you work overtime, without extra days off etc.
Lots of travel
Junior Teller (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 19, 2015
I was a floating teller so I was able to visit many different cities and towns in the South Coast as well as in Rhode Island.
Pros
Travel
Cons
High employee turnover, little training
Very exciting job with close co-workers
Leadership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAJuly 18, 2015
Worked from home office with a team of three others and a supervisor. Very independent serving a specific client base of three executive vice presidents and their direct reports. Required traveling throughout eastern Pa. and all of New Jersey.
Pros
Worked independently
Cons
on call 24-7
Enjoyed working at Sovereign Bank
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Newark NJMay 27, 2015
This was my first banking employment and I enjoyed working there. It would have been a pleasure continue working within the company however my school schedule conflicted with one of those working days.
Pros
great company
Cons
strict hours not flexible for students
I enjoyed working for a place which had a healthy respect for Diversity.
Report Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTMay 14, 2015
Conducting audits in a professional, accurate and friendly manner and being treated with respect and support by the various managers I was fortunate to have had.
As an auditor, I was assigned to audit nearly all areas of the bank and was able to learn how all the departments, personnel and their related functions were integral to how the bank functioned.
Trying to be as organized as possible to minimize staff and productivity disruption which can occur during an audit.
I was very fortunate to have met very wonderful people on my travels to the various branches and made some friendships along the way. Once people got to know me, I felt more than welcome on my visits and for the most part was able to put everyone's mind at ease when I visited them.
I also enjoyed interacting with our customers both from an auditor perspective as well as from a teller or customer service representative perspective.
Pros
Being treated with respect and courtesy, not being micro-managed allowed to manage my time effectively to complete jobs in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
Cons
Health care changes and expenses
Excellent Employer
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 14, 2015
A very "Family First" company. Wonderful place to work for. Great leadership and great environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. I couldn't recommend this place any higher!
Fun place to work at.
Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 27, 2015
Great atmosphere. willing to teach you and make you grow as an individual. Staff members are friendly. Managers willing to help you what ever way they can
Operational Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 23, 2015
I serve as an Operational Customer Service Manager assuring all operations comply with regulations for the Federal Government and Sovereign Bank. By managing Customer Service Representatives I make sure that policies and procedures are understood and followed. I use good judgment in applying procedures and granting exceptions.

• Manage the branch in the absence of the CBO as directed.
• Assist in the development of marketing strategies and all branch sales activities.
• Recognizing sales opportunities for mortgage products.
• Responsible for doing initial mortgage underwriting before sending application to decision solution center.
• Review customer’s relationships to determine the type of products they may be eligible for such as loans and other accounts.
• Complete all monthly, quarterly, and yearly audits on every individual in the branch.
• Contribute to the branch sales goals by personally recognizing sales and referral opportunities.
• Coach and council staff to there optimum performance.
• Monitor all general ledger accounts and reconcile any differences that may occur.
It was a very busy bussiness.
Consumer collector (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAApril 21, 2015
The great thing about this job was that there was always something two do. Lots a challenges with so many employees. Everyone was trying to hit there goal for that day off.
Great community
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYApril 14, 2015
I started my banking career with Sovereign Bank formerly known as "Independence Community Bank" I spent several years growing with them. I had some amazing teachers/mentors who guided me through the ropes of the company. The best part of my day was interacting with my customers and fellow employees and coworkers.
The bank was in constant termoil
Senior Vice President, Commercial Banking (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 14, 2015
This review is based on the end of the period
-Management turmoil
-Inconsistent credit culture
-The bank was not client driven
bank
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAApril 13, 2015
Sovereign now Santander was a great learning experience and the branch I was at was like a second family. It was great to me in a bad time in my life.