SPACEX

SPACEX Employee Reviews

Poor Leadership, Poor Decisions
Quality Inspector (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAMay 7, 2015
Pros: There's a few good guys left
Cons: Management, hours, engineering leaders, production, no quality
There is a huge push for production, but there is also a huge push for advancing engineering. As you can imagine this creates a conflict when the product being made is always changing and never tested.

Engineering is always going to be the winners, the inexperienced new engineer will win over the production supervisors, he will even win with no background in the field at which he is arguing.

The quality of the rocket is not the top priority. Building the rocket is the top priority. The quality inspectors on the floor fall under the PRODUCTION DIRECTORS. This is one of the most absurd things I had ever seen. Conflict of interests were always in jeopardy when a part was needed elsewhere and production pushed to get it out.

I saw many an instance when a poor production director or manager hired someone under them that was questioning the process and identifying issues and then they are quickly let go. There has been so many amazing people let go or quick from the company that the only ones left are sad, beaten employees.

Standard 10 hour days 5+ days a week is not a quality environment. That's burn out poor decision making on management.
Exciting Company
Composites Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAMarch 4, 2015
SpaceX does groundbreaking work in the commercial space industry and is an exciting place to work. However, the corporate culture is cutthroat and not accommodating of employee's needs beyond the workplace.
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Great environment with an amazing CEO. Controlled main and overflow warehouse inventory. A lot of extra perks, such as holiday parties
Launches and Rockets
Busser/Hostess (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great environment, you get to see things no one els can and its an amazing experiance.
Cons: have no time to get things done in your normal life, your always at work, and the people at work become yoiur family because your not with your own half the time.
A typical day at work is busy, fast pace and there is always something that needs to be done.
I learned more about working as a team even when there is drama involved.
Management was not good, communication was horrible, but that was only in my work area, I cant speak for other parts of Spacex.
Co-workers were amazing aside from the everyday drama.
The hardest part of my job was staying awake, our days are 10 hour days, I mean who wouldn't be tired.
Productive workplace with a great environment
Ndt Tech (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Being that it was my first job, I was able to learn a lot from my superiors and gain great experience. My coworkers were excellent to be around. A typical day work was at times very busy but not to much to handle. The best part of the job was working on a capsule called the Dragon.
Its the Google of aerospace
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: food everywhere, catered lunches, rockets!
Cons: reindeer games, cliques, heavy engineering influenced, inexperienced personnel.
I loved this job. In fact it wasn't a job it was more of a hobby. I went to work everyday wondering what I was going to get to play on. The benefits are great once you get off contract status which took 6 months. The co-workers are nice to work with even though you have a few that weren't ever happy to see you. They're in every company so it doesn't matter. I took pride in working for a cutting edge company that wasn't funded by the government.
Sole architect of all communications/aviation systems on Falcon and Dragon capsule
Communications Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: iso value high
Cons: bad submanagement resulting in crazy work hours
Long work hours that can approach 80 Hrs/wk for periods of a month or greater.

Join soon and expect little work/life balance tipped heavily on the work aspect
Miserable Experience
FINAL INTERGRATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: free work boots, decent pay, severence package.
Cons: timeclocks, poor middle management, no 401kmatch
Company is young and has much to learn about the aerospace industry's procedures and work practices. Mid Management needs a lot of work on how to treat employees on a professional level. Technicians are treated poorly and have no value. On the other hand the H/R department was very professional, they did their job well. They tell you that you could make a lateral move if you have a positive attitude but its at the Supervisor's discretion. If you have a grievance with your supervisor, you basically have no grounds to move to another shop.
Great Company to work for.
GSE Technician (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJuly 16, 2014
Great work place, management is hard to deal with.Work load is different then what your use to. Hours are great. A lot of money to be made.
Great place to work!
Sr. Recruiter, Corporate (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJuly 16, 2014
Innovative environment. Gourmet lunches, free frozen yogurt. Lots of great perks.
fun work place
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 15, 2014
Pros: free dinner
Cons: nothing
A typical day at work I would check my emails for any urgent shipments. The complete shipments based on priority. Send all ASN's for shipments. Management was great. My coworkers were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was waiting for the launches. Most enjoyable part of that job was watching live launces.
Fast Paced strict workplace
Avionics Harness Technician (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: on the job dning facility
Cons: mandatory overtime (70 hour week)
Mandatory Overtime with no possibilities for advancement.
Sorry I ever took this job
Inventory control clerk (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 19, 2014
Cons: working conditions, coworkers, management
Long hours, no personal life, I'm either at work or sleeping with one day off a week. Unprofessional coworkers, a lot of flirting, favoritism, affairs. Leadmen with no experience rule by their own personal judgement on each worker. Obvious they are not leaders and they receive no training. Employees disrespect the leads and yell at them in front of others. Work weeks 60-72 hrs/wk but mostly the latter, therefore, Spacex has become the dating pool and social life for the employees including the married ones. No positive feedback, only negative. Employees in trouble because of what leads tell manager but employee never asked their side. No opinions, feedback, ideas or suggestions ever asked from employees. Company makes employees believe they are the elite to be privileged to work here but mostly it's entry level employees that get sucked in and stuck here.
Fun place to work. free FroYo bar!
Control Center Operator (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: no room for advancement, no structure.
The company is great, and makes coming to work fun. But, the security department lacks stability and structure. Worked there over a year and still didn't have clear work instructions, managers came and went, I may have seen my boss once a month and his office was next door.
This worse job for experience aircraft worker
Dragon Structure tech (Former Employee), hawthrone, caJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: lots of free coffee lunch is 5bucks
Cons: they dont have a clue
This place is a mess , they shadow tool boxes and throw tools on top of it. The only meeting is with leads and supervisor no employee input at all. they hire automotive people to drill holes and do aircraft work. No training at all. The young kids have no chance to learn. The Supv are a buddy buddy system no chance for advancement. The upper management is all from BMW and car places trying to build a rocket that is the same as aircraft they have no clue. They are more worried about coffee and lunch then building a rocket. If you have any experience don't go, If you have none its a good place. I don't now how they get that rocket in the air, I guess enough failed attempts everything will fly
Free yogurt unlimited sodas, coffee $5 lunches
Material Handler (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CaliforniaJanuary 10, 2014
The company sucks they fire people for stupid stuff they pick & choose who they want and they don't pay enough to be a company thats aerospace.
One star to many
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CADecember 25, 2013
Pros: ping pong, poor management
Cons: poor management, long hours, no training, poor quality
I have been in aerospace for 10 years now and I am at a complete loss for words with how this company is run. There is no tool control which anyone who has been in aviation has had pounded into their head. There is no formal training and worst of all there are no specifications! i.e. there is both a MIL-SPEC and FAA AC 43.13-1B that cover the acceptable criteria of a button head AD rivet (most common fastener in aviation) but not at SpaceX! To back that up most of the tech they hire have little to no experience, best case scenario they spent a few years in the military but thats a select few. The lack of quality is another mind blower. There are very few inspection steps when building some flight critical components which most technicians just skip and hope the inspectors will just shrug it off (most of them do). I have also watched techs forge a signature for an engineer to inspect the turbine wheel after a test run, no big deal.

When I first hired on I was unsure if I had what it took to be an inspector at SpaceX but after a few weeks I quickly realized I was the most qualified. The less experience you have the better so you wont realize how out of control this place is. If the FAA or DCMA ever do an audit this place is going to be shutdown until they get their head out of their behind.

Most of the management has no experience in aviation. For some reason they love to hire foreign car people from BMW and Mini to build rocket ships. Hey how about going down the road to Aviation Blvd and snagging some Lockheed, Boeing or raytheon guys?

Don't worry though, there is an anonymous – more... email you can send to upper management to express concerns about the company. Weird thing is when you send a nasty gram "anonymously" and get pulled into a meeting with the same people you sent it to the next day.

All in all if you have any sort of professionalism or care for aviation this place is not for you. You can't argue you points to management because they A: Don't know anything about aviation/aerospace and wont know what your talking about B: Respond with the generic "Thats how we do it at SpaceX" answer or C: Get upset for not drinking the SpaceX juice and shutting up like the rest of them.

I hate to bash on the company so hard but for a place that has the resources to do everything right and yet they still do it so wrong is completely unacceptable. I hope the company gets some real management to turn thing around soon before it is to late. – less
Dishonest
Analyst (Former Employee), Hawtrone, CAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: free soda, coffee and ice cream
Cons: dishonest. poorly lead.
Suckered to come aboard. Left another company after being offered a good package by Space X. Lied job was long term. Lasted less than month. Job eliminated after department was "realigned". Alignment was already in planning before first day on job. Interviewing people for positions before I arrived on day one. Leaked accidently by those involved.

Lots of work and overtime. But can be steam lined if open to suggestions and given any sense of direction. Team lead insisted on his way despite coworkers found more efficient ways to deal with problems.

Training was questionable. Hard to get trained by those responsible. Co-workers got ticked at team leader's moron attitude to train people under him. Co-workers helped to perform training during spare time. They were always there to help. Team lead wasn't.
Up and Coming company -- high stress environment
Communications Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Los AngelesSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: financial upside
Cons: covered below
The successes of Elon Musk with Paypal, Tesla, Spacex is a tribute to a real innovator--unfortunately this results in inadequate time to collect feedback on managers. The high pressure and "fear of god" if something goes wrong attitude is instilled in all the managers.

The place looks cool on the outside and the stock options are enticing, but the cubicle farm produces many good engineers who make terrible managers---most vest their stock and leave. Anyone in a Sr management post is typically fired at some point.

I was the communications expert and designed several successful communications systems that are very difficult in terms of Specifications on Doppler, frequency uncertainty etc--these were fun because I got to design and manage the progress.

]The hardest part is management that thinks creativity can be well represented by a Gantt chart rather than the real way it works," 80% of time to figure out the 20% of the design critical for the "difficult" part of the system. Thus it looks like no progress is made for a while and then boom! the answer and approach come. These guys have no idea of this.

Great co-workers but most are burned-out due to the work environment flaws.
professional atmosphere in workplace, for first 4 months, later some employees in my department were verbally unprofessional with slang.
sheetmetal deburr and finishing sanding technician (Former Employee), hawthorne, californiaJuly 21, 2013
Pros: free gourmet food for break; incredible, a 50.00 meal for free.
Cons: a professional workplace.
Hired as a tech trainee; I have an A&P license. I was not given a preference on what department to work in. I was placed in sheet metal manufacturing. The first 3 months were great; training superb towards me; I was a deburr tech and finishing parts. The management gave me the word that I was to be a permanent employee, passing probation period. I said some wrong things to my immediate supervisor, not serious mistakes and I made some mistakes on my work; but I worked well for them. They let me go after 7 months, dragging my transfer to permanent. No specific reason was given to me, but I figured my immediate supervisor desired to move me, for personality reasons. I do not feel my performance was bad enough to be let go and I think spacex could have counseled me and given me a chance in another department. I was in the only department swing shift dominated by latinos and I was mistreated verbally towards the end. That is just a statement, spacex desires to have the best employees in the industry and I made some work related errors and said a couple wrong things to my supervisor; but I was fully trained and independent and I was doing fine for them and I wanted a long term career. That is how the world is; I have worked for many companies and people within the company always hurt the company. Examples are fine hotels, restaurants, anything; the people make the company. I have read some other reviews and I am suprised to hear so many negative comments. That shows you that the people make and break the company. Best wishes working for spacex; I met some nice professional people, who went the extra mile to help me succeed in the sheet metal shop; Maybe I can work for them again. I am starting a new job as a composite technician, and I read negative reviews about them also. We are expendable; that is reality.

About SPACEX

Space Exploration Technologies wants to be the go-to cargo company of the future. Also known as SpaceX, the company is developing┬áspace – Read more

SPACEX Salaries