SPACEX Employee Reviews

horrible
Quality Inspector Integration (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAAugust 6, 2015
this is hands down the worst company to work for. No one in management care about your morale, health or safety. they treat you as expendable and then ask you to invest in the company... waste of my time.
Demanding and fun place to work
Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Free Fro-Yo, Free Coffee, good food
Cons: long hours (10-12) and likely work most weekends
SpaceX has a lot of individuals that are working for the ultimate goals of commercial space which is fantastic. The changes with a growing company from a small company to a large company are the most problematic. Often there are high expectations and short deadlines given. I is a lot of fun working in such an environment and I'm proud to have worked there.
SpaceX
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), CaliforniaJuly 15, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: work to personal life ratio
Fast paced work environment. Offers many benefits to the employees. Often the work to personal life balance is heavily tilted to work life. Enjoyable work environment
Interesting Work, But You Sell Your Soul ....
Technician (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Fascinating Cutting-Edge Innovation, Being part of something that is changing space exploration.
Cons: Absurd Work Schedule - 70hrs/wk, Unsafe Work Practices / Environment, Compensation NOT based upon Performance
I absolutely Loved that I was working on innovative space exploration vehicles ! They provided a perfect opportunity for me to utilize my obsessive attention-to-detail. That pretty much sums up the Good.

Middle Management was completely detached from the actual Operations, relying on Metrics for all analysis/decision-making. Oblivious to work environment - specifically OSHA matters, encouraging a healthy work/Life balance, etc. The absurdly demanding work schedule is Most Definitely contributory to manufacturing imperfections, and workplace injury.

The Productivity Schedule far exceeds the capacity of the facility AND operations staff. And, unless you are proactive at Creating opportunities to learn/train, you will receive Zero. They rely solely on paper experience, and don't do any real screening of candidates for Work Ethic, Attitude, etc.

The youngsters that are fresh out of college, ready to conquer the world, come in and think that getting free lattes, and frozen yogurt is a "Benefit" .... no, that's a Perk [at best]. A Benefit is Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, etc. SpaceX provides good benefits, it's just absurd that these wet-behind-the-ears pups place such a Value on free yogurt or cappuccino. How About A DAY OFF ?!
Poor Leadership, Poor Decisions
Quality Inspector (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAMay 7, 2015
Pros: There's a few good guys left
Cons: Management, hours, engineering leaders, production, no quality
There is a huge push for production, but there is also a huge push for advancing engineering. As you can imagine this creates a conflict when the product being made is always changing and never tested.

Engineering is always going to be the winners, the inexperienced new engineer will win over the production supervisors, he will even win with no background in the field at which he is arguing.

The quality of the rocket is not the top priority. Building the rocket is the top priority. The quality inspectors on the floor fall under the PRODUCTION DIRECTORS. This is one of the most absurd things I had ever seen. Conflict of interests were always in jeopardy when a part was needed elsewhere and production pushed to get it out.

I saw many an instance when a poor production director or manager hired someone under them that was questioning the process and identifying issues and then they are quickly let go. There has been so many amazing people let go or quick from the company that the only ones left are sad, beaten employees.

Standard 10 hour days 5+ days a week is not a quality environment. That's burn out poor decision making on management.
Exciting Company
Composites Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAMarch 4, 2015
SpaceX does groundbreaking work in the commercial space industry and is an exciting place to work. However, the corporate culture is cutthroat and not accommodating of employee's needs beyond the workplace.
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Great environment with an amazing CEO. Controlled main and overflow warehouse inventory. A lot of extra perks, such as holiday parties
Launches and Rockets
Busser/Hostess (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great environment, you get to see things no one els can and its an amazing experiance.
Cons: have no time to get things done in your normal life, your always at work, and the people at work become yoiur family because your not with your own half the time.
A typical day at work is busy, fast pace and there is always something that needs to be done.
I learned more about working as a team even when there is drama involved.
Management was not good, communication was horrible, but that was only in my work area, I cant speak for other parts of Spacex.
Co-workers were amazing aside from the everyday drama.
The hardest part of my job was staying awake, our days are 10 hour days, I mean who wouldn't be tired.
Productive workplace with a great environment
Ndt Tech (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Being that it was my first job, I was able to learn a lot from my superiors and gain great experience. My coworkers were excellent to be around. A typical day work was at times very busy but not to much to handle. The best part of the job was working on a capsule called the Dragon.
Its the Google of aerospace
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: food everywhere, catered lunches, rockets!
Cons: reindeer games, cliques, heavy engineering influenced, inexperienced personnel.
I loved this job. In fact it wasn't a job it was more of a hobby. I went to work everyday wondering what I was going to get to play on. The benefits are great once you get off contract status which took 6 months. The co-workers are nice to work with even though you have a few that weren't ever happy to see you. They're in every company so it doesn't matter. I took pride in working for a cutting edge company that wasn't funded by the government.
Sole architect of all communications/aviation systems on Falcon and Dragon capsule
Communications Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: iso value high
Cons: bad submanagement resulting in crazy work hours
Long work hours that can approach 80 Hrs/wk for periods of a month or greater.

Join soon and expect little work/life balance tipped heavily on the work aspect
Miserable Experience
FINAL INTERGRATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: free work boots, decent pay, severence package.
Cons: timeclocks, poor middle management, no 401kmatch
Company is young and has much to learn about the aerospace industry's procedures and work practices. Mid Management needs a lot of work on how to treat employees on a professional level. Technicians are treated poorly and have no value. On the other hand the H/R department was very professional, they did their job well. They tell you that you could make a lateral move if you have a positive attitude but its at the Supervisor's discretion. If you have a grievance with your supervisor, you basically have no grounds to move to another shop.
Great Company to work for.
GSE Technician (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJuly 16, 2014
Great work place, management is hard to deal with.Work load is different then what your use to. Hours are great. A lot of money to be made.
Great place to work!
Sr. Recruiter, Corporate (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJuly 16, 2014
Innovative environment. Gourmet lunches, free frozen yogurt. Lots of great perks.
fun work place
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 15, 2014
Pros: free dinner
Cons: nothing
A typical day at work I would check my emails for any urgent shipments. The complete shipments based on priority. Send all ASN's for shipments. Management was great. My coworkers were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was waiting for the launches. Most enjoyable part of that job was watching live launces.
Fast Paced strict workplace
Avionics Harness Technician (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: on the job dning facility
Cons: mandatory overtime (70 hour week)
Mandatory Overtime with no possibilities for advancement.
Sorry I ever took this job
Inventory control clerk (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 19, 2014
Cons: working conditions, coworkers, management
Long hours, no personal life, I'm either at work or sleeping with one day off a week. Unprofessional coworkers, a lot of flirting, favoritism, affairs. Leadmen with no experience rule by their own personal judgement on each worker. Obvious they are not leaders and they receive no training. Employees disrespect the leads and yell at them in front of others. Work weeks 60-72 hrs/wk but mostly the latter, therefore, Spacex has become the dating pool and social life for the employees including the married ones. No positive feedback, only negative. Employees in trouble because of what leads tell manager but employee never asked their side. No opinions, feedback, ideas or suggestions ever asked from employees. Company makes employees believe they are the elite to be privileged to work here but mostly it's entry level employees that get sucked in and stuck here.
Fun place to work. free FroYo bar!
Control Center Operator (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: no room for advancement, no structure.
The company is great, and makes coming to work fun. But, the security department lacks stability and structure. Worked there over a year and still didn't have clear work instructions, managers came and went, I may have seen my boss once a month and his office was next door.
Free yogurt unlimited sodas, coffee $5 lunches
Material Handler (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CaliforniaJanuary 10, 2014
The company sucks they fire people for stupid stuff they pick & choose who they want and they don't pay enough to be a company thats aerospace.
One star to many
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CADecember 25, 2013
Pros: ping pong, poor management
Cons: poor management, long hours, no training, poor quality
I have been in aerospace for 10 years now and I am at a complete loss for words with how this company is run. There is no tool control which anyone who has been in aviation has had pounded into their head. There is no formal training and worst of all there are no specifications! i.e. there is both a MIL-SPEC and FAA AC 43.13-1B that cover the acceptable criteria of a button head AD rivet (most common fastener in aviation) but not at SpaceX! To back that up most of the tech they hire have little to no experience, best case scenario they spent a few years in the military but thats a select few. The lack of quality is another mind blower. There are very few inspection steps when building some flight critical components which most technicians just skip and hope the inspectors will just shrug it off (most of them do). I have also watched techs forge a signature for an engineer to inspect the turbine wheel after a test run, no big deal.

When I first hired on I was unsure if I had what it took to be an inspector at SpaceX but after a few weeks I quickly realized I was the most qualified. The less experience you have the better so you wont realize how out of control this place is. If the FAA or DCMA ever do an audit this place is going to be shutdown until they get their head out of their behind.

Most of the management has no experience in aviation. For some reason they love to hire foreign car people from BMW and Mini to build rocket ships. Hey how about going down the road to Aviation Blvd and snagging some Lockheed, Boeing or raytheon guys?

Don't worry though, there is an anonymous – more... email you can send to upper management to express concerns about the company. Weird thing is when you send a nasty gram "anonymously" and get pulled into a meeting with the same people you sent it to the next day.

All in all if you have any sort of professionalism or care for aviation this place is not for you. You can't argue you points to management because they A: Don't know anything about aviation/aerospace and wont know what your talking about B: Respond with the generic "Thats how we do it at SpaceX" answer or C: Get upset for not drinking the SpaceX juice and shutting up like the rest of them.

I hate to bash on the company so hard but for a place that has the resources to do everything right and yet they still do it so wrong is completely unacceptable. I hope the company gets some real management to turn thing around soon before it is to late. – less