SPACEX

SPACEX Employer Reviews

Its the Google of aerospace
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: food everywhere, catered lunches, rockets!
Cons: reindeer games, cliques, heavy engineering influenced, inexperienced personnel.
I loved this job. In fact it wasn't a job it was more of a hobby. I went to work everyday wondering what I was going to get to play on. The benefits are great once you get off contract status which took 6 months. The co-workers are nice to work with even though you have a few that weren't ever happy to see you. They're in every company so it doesn't matter. I took pride in working for a cutting edge company that wasn't funded by the government.
Sole architect of all communications/aviation systems on Falcon and Dragon capsule
Communications Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: iso value high
Cons: bad submanagement resulting in crazy work hours
Long work hours that can approach 80 Hrs/wk for periods of a month or greater.

Join soon and expect little work/life balance tipped heavily on the work aspect
Miserable Experience
FINAL INTERGRATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: free work boots, decent pay, severence package.
Cons: timeclocks, poor middle management, no 401kmatch
Company is young and has much to learn about the aerospace industry's procedures and work practices. Mid Management needs a lot of work on how to treat employees on a professional level. Technicians are treated poorly and have no value. On the other hand the H/R department was very professional, they did their job well. They tell you that you could make a lateral move if you have a positive attitude but its at the Supervisor's discretion. If you have a grievance with your supervisor, you basically have no grounds to move to another shop.
Great Company to work for.
GSE Technician (Former Employee), McGregor, TXJuly 16, 2014
Great work place, management is hard to deal with.Work load is different then what your use to. Hours are great. A lot of money to be made.
Great place to work!
Sr. Recruiter, Corporate (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJuly 16, 2014
Innovative environment. Gourmet lunches, free frozen yogurt. Lots of great perks.
fun work place
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 15, 2014
Pros: free dinner
Cons: nothing
A typical day at work I would check my emails for any urgent shipments. The complete shipments based on priority. Send all ASN's for shipments. Management was great. My coworkers were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was waiting for the launches. Most enjoyable part of that job was watching live launces.
Fast Paced strict workplace
Avionics Harness Technician (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: on the job dning facility
Cons: mandatory overtime (70 hour week)
Mandatory Overtime with no possibilities for advancement.
Sorry I ever took this job
Inventory control clerk (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 19, 2014
Cons: working conditions, coworkers, management
Long hours, no personal life, I'm either at work or sleeping with one day off a week. Unprofessional coworkers, a lot of flirting, favoritism, affairs. Leadmen with no experience rule by their own personal judgement on each worker. Obvious they are not leaders and they receive no training. Employees disrespect the leads and yell at them in front of others. Work weeks 60-72 hrs/wk but mostly the latter, therefore, Spacex has become the dating pool and social life for the employees including the married ones. No positive feedback, only negative. Employees in trouble because of what leads tell manager but employee never asked their side. No opinions, feedback, ideas or suggestions ever asked from employees. Company makes employees believe they are the elite to be privileged to work here but mostly it's entry level employees that get sucked in and stuck here.
Fun place to work. free FroYo bar!
Control Center Operator (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: no room for advancement, no structure.
The company is great, and makes coming to work fun. But, the security department lacks stability and structure. Worked there over a year and still didn't have clear work instructions, managers came and went, I may have seen my boss once a month and his office was next door.
This worse job for experience aircraft worker
Dragon Structure tech (Former Employee), hawthrone, caJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: lots of free coffee lunch is 5bucks
Cons: they dont have a clue
This place is a mess , they shadow tool boxes and throw tools on top of it. The only meeting is with leads and supervisor no employee input at all. they hire automotive people to drill holes and do aircraft work. No training at all. The young kids have no chance to learn. The Supv are a buddy buddy system no chance for advancement. The upper management is all from BMW and car places trying to build a rocket that is the same as aircraft they have no clue. They are more worried about coffee and lunch then building a rocket. If you have any experience don't go, If you have none its a good place. I don't now how they get that rocket in the air, I guess enough failed attempts everything will fly
Free yogurt unlimited sodas, coffee $5 lunches
Material Handler (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CaliforniaJanuary 10, 2014
The company sucks they fire people for stupid stuff they pick & choose who they want and they don't pay enough to be a company thats aerospace.
Great company to work for. Oppratunity for advancement. There was refreshments for employees. Great benefits.
CNC Tube Bender (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CADecember 12, 2013
Pros: fun work place.
Cons: alot of hours.
I bent tubes every day. Used different machines. Me and my boss got along great and i still talk to him now. I started Tube Bending there.
Dishonest
Analyst (Former Employee), Hawtrone, CAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: free soda, coffee and ice cream
Cons: dishonest. poorly lead.
Suckered to come aboard. Left another company after being offered a good package by Space X. Lied job was long term. Lasted less than month. Job eliminated after department was "realigned". Alignment was already in planning before first day on job. Interviewing people for positions before I arrived on day one. Leaked accidently by those involved.

Lots of work and overtime. But can be steam lined if open to suggestions and given any sense of direction. Team lead insisted on his way despite coworkers found more efficient ways to deal with problems.

Training was questionable. Hard to get trained by those responsible. Co-workers got ticked at team leader's moron attitude to train people under him. Co-workers helped to perform training during spare time. They were always there to help. Team lead wasn't.
Up and Coming company -- high stress environment
Communications Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Los AngelesSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: financial upside
Cons: covered below
The successes of Elon Musk with Paypal, Tesla, Spacex is a tribute to a real innovator--unfortunately this results in inadequate time to collect feedback on managers. The high pressure and "fear of god" if something goes wrong attitude is instilled in all the managers.

The place looks cool on the outside and the stock options are enticing, but the cubicle farm produces many good engineers who make terrible managers---most vest their stock and leave. Anyone in a Sr management post is typically fired at some point.

I was the communications expert and designed several successful communications systems that are very difficult in terms of Specifications on Doppler, frequency uncertainty etc--these were fun because I got to design and manage the progress.

]The hardest part is management that thinks creativity can be well represented by a Gantt chart rather than the real way it works," 80% of time to figure out the 20% of the design critical for the "difficult" part of the system. Thus it looks like no progress is made for a while and then boom! the answer and approach come. These guys have no idea of this.

Great co-workers but most are burned-out due to the work environment flaws.
professional atmosphere in workplace, for first 4 months, later some employees in my department were verbally unprofessional with slang.
sheetmetal deburr and finishing sanding technician (Former Employee), hawthorne, californiaJuly 21, 2013
Pros: free gourmet food for break; incredible, a 50.00 meal for free.
Cons: a professional workplace.
Hired as a tech trainee; I have an A&P license. I was not given a preference on what department to work in. I was placed in sheet metal manufacturing. The first 3 months were great; training superb towards me; I was a deburr tech and finishing parts. The management gave me the word that I was to be a permanent employee, passing probation period. I said some wrong things to my immediate supervisor, not serious mistakes and I made some mistakes on my work; but I worked well for them. They let me go after 7 months, dragging my transfer to permanent. No specific reason was given to me, but I figured my immediate supervisor desired to move me, for personality reasons. I do not feel my performance was bad enough to be let go and I think spacex could have counseled me and given me a chance in another department. I was in the only department swing shift dominated by latinos and I was mistreated verbally towards the end. That is just a statement, spacex desires to have the best employees in the industry and I made some work related errors and said a couple wrong things to my supervisor; but I was fully trained and independent and I was doing fine for them and I wanted a long term career. That is how the world is; I have worked for many companies and people within the company always hurt the company. Examples are fine hotels, restaurants, anything; the people make the company. I have read some other reviews and I am suprised to hear so many negative comments. That shows you that the people make and break the company. Best wishes working for spacex; I met some nice professional people, who went the extra mile to help me succeed in the sheet metal shop; Maybe I can work for them again. I am starting a new job as a composite technician, and I read negative reviews about them also. We are expendable; that is reality.
Long hours, always on the move.
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 13, 2013
Long hours, always on the move. Never repeat same work twice. Everything changes minute to minute.
Ok
Avionics Hardware Test Technician (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAMay 29, 2013
It's exciting making history, but pay sucks.
Raises that are considered for average employees at other companies is considered, "great" raises for top employees here.
Top to bottom it is catagorically the best place I have ever worked
Loads Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 16, 2013
Pros: fast paced, exciting
I won't lie, working at SpaceX isn't for everyone. It requires both capability as well as a stern willingness. There is a great deal of responsibility placed on everyone. We're still too small a company with too much work for poor performers to hide in the numbers. Greater still, is the rule to always get the job done. Every company I've worked for had this 'rule', but SpaceX has actually provided the management/environment to allow for this statement to be possible.

They have removed almost all of the stops which get in the way of every motivated engineer. There will always be 'hoops' to jump through, but they all serve legitimate roles, it isn't chaos in here.
Since I arrived here 6 months ago, I have, without exaggeration, accomplished more legitimate work and made a larger impact on the tasks at hand, than I had in the previous 3 years at jobs with other '5S' and 'streamlined' companies. While the pace is ferocious, everyone's willingness to make changes rapidly allow us to correct problems and move on. Other jobs would ponder and debate the merit of fixing a known issue.

Most importantly, I have enjoyed working here. I rarely work fewer than 12 hours a day simply because the job can always be stimulating. The typical employee here is not average. They are the greatest collection of legitimate, hardworking, brilliant, well-rounded engineers I've ever known. I have yet to meet an employee here whom didn't simply impress me or lack in capability. There are no weak links, and that feeling has instilled confidence in every task I do or hand-off to someone. They are all thinkers, – more... all willing to ask questions, will figure it out on their own, is capable of making a decision, won't take suggestions personally (most of the time), and no one hides or plays the blame game when something goes wrong. Everyone jumps on the grenade and fixes the problem together. Simply amazing.

I gave a low rating to the Work/Life balance because it is VERY easy to get sucked into and do nothing but work and the rest of your life will suffer. These are sacrifices which you must honestly be willing to make from time-to-time. It isn't constant though.

Technology like this won't manifest itself, it takes honest hard work; but, working here you know, feel, witness, and experience that work make an immediate difference. – less
Great Place for a Young Engineer
Production Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 8, 2013
Pros: excellent learning opportunity, work environment has a good fun/hard work balance, stock options
Cons: long hours - easy to get sucked into being a workaholic!
I have learned an outrageous amount as a young engineer at SpaceX. I do not know of any other place that gives such young engineers so much responsibility and opportunity to succeed. That being said, they expect a lot out of their employees, and many people work long hours to keep up with the pace and to continue excelling. If this isn't an issue for you (as is the case with me), and if you want to be a part of a very unique and innovative company, this is the place for you!
Inspiring and Challenging
Propulsion Engineer (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 5, 2013
Pros: free lunches occasionally, ice cream, good benefits, and stocks
Cons: long hours
I love coming into work every day knowing I'll be working on rockets and spacecraft. I get to work with very intelligent and accomplished engineers on developing the hardware that will be part of something historic. Additionally, because I interact with several different groups at SpaceX and it is so integrated, it has allowed me to develop to become a well-rounded engineer and professional. It is somewhat difficult as there is a lot of responsibility given right away and priorities can shift, but it keeps the job interesting and challenging.

About SPACEX

Space Exploration Technologies wants to be the go-to cargo company of the future. Also known as SpaceX, the company is developing┬áspace – Read more