Sparks Health System Employee Reviews

Patient - focused care with an excellent medical staff
Administrator, Sparks Clinic - Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 11, 2017
Sparks Health System offers patient - focused care with an excellent medical staff. The hospital and its physicians have provided the best of care to their patients for over 100 years!
n/a
Surgery Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARApril 5, 2017
It is a fast pace place, and always great to meet new people. Also to learn new things. The nurses and doctors in the area that I worked in was great.
Good Team Player Environment
Registered Nurse ICU (Current Employee) –  Van Buren, ARApril 5, 2017
Good ethical workplace with good leadership and team players. Overall Good place to work. Flexible scheduling. Management lacks communication skills. Would reccommend.
Great place with helpful, friendly staff
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARFebruary 16, 2017
The staff as a whole are wonderful. Very friendly and courteous. Upper management has some cons, but every place you work at is going to have something you don't care for. You've just got to find the place you're willing to out up with it.
Good on the job training
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJanuary 7, 2017
Good coworkers. Not long enough time for lunch. not a very pleasant working environment. Hardest part of my job is management. Very busy. Only good thing I can say is they have good on the job training
Pros
Copays waived
same name different company
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 30, 2016
Was a great place to work until sold to other company. People still okay and However working there for many many years doesn't save you from laid off or not been offer other work in another department after department has downsize.
Pros
breaks, some people
Cons
any money for school has to be healthcare related
Worst treatment of staff have seen
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 14, 2016
Multiple buyouts staff is not treated well highly understaffed management does not support you you are looked at as a number. I have worked in health care for many years and this is the absolute worst place I have ever seen. If you wanted to be treated badly this the place to go otherwise find somewhere else.
Pros
A pay check some people worked with
Cons
See above
Respiratory Care Dept.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 6, 2016
Dept director position "absolved" after buy-out. Patient load 2-3x recommended max. Rarely enough staff coverage for the shift. PTO use never allowed due to staffing shortages yeilding no coverage. No defined policy and procedures on several cloudy issues after buy-out. Multiple changes in supervisory staff designations. No communication with dept. from designated supervisory staff for 1yr. Great coworkers. Teamwork improved in dept. after HMA buy-out. Supply shortages or unavailability were common. Worked with a lot of great, knowledgable, compassionate nurses and physicians hospital wide. I would love to return to work there. The fast pace made shift go by quickly and pay was always good.
Pros
Great pay, coworkers, exposure and knowledge gained to knew tx, meds, procedures, cardio workout included in shift, great area
Cons
Run out supplies, poor management, no job security, no defined policies for new procedures and issues
Everybody got along like a family.
PCA (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 29, 2016
I learned a lot in the ICU. I learned how to give bed baths, to turn people, and to check the patients blood sugars.The hardest part of the job was the lifting of the patients.
Pros
Coffee shop was downstairs
Cons
Hardly had time to take a break.
Wonderful work environment.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Spiro, OKSeptember 27, 2016
I loved the small town, local feel. Everyone was great to work with. The manager is great and works with your schedule if need be. The head physician has been there for years and is very patient, as well as a wonderful teacher.
do not recommend
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 23, 2016
not a good place to work and would not recommend my worst enemy to work at sparks. the abuse and overwork staff because the can not staff appropriately. if you are not part of the girls club staff attempts to get you terminated. worst place i have ever worked in my career!
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
see statements above
too cliquish , bad management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  adult medicine specialistsJuly 5, 2016
If you're not in the clique, you get ignored, unless they need something. Supervisor let's other people do her job. Too afraid of conflict. Management from bottom to top ignore the real issues. If you go against the clique, it is a hostile environment. Always expected to do the job of 3 people with zero mistakes expected. Unrealistic and unreasonable .
Pros
free lunch every day, pay was good
Cons
too many chiefs not enough Indians
Great Environment with Lots of Room for Improvement
Charge Capture Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 30, 2016
I love working with my co-workers. Management has room for improvement. Several issues that need to be resolved with seemingly limited resources. It is a company with great potential, but has trouble reaching that potential. The environment is like a close family unit. The people there make the job worth it.
Horrible place to work
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMarch 9, 2016
They are understaffed and will constantly expect you to work overtime and weekends to make up for it. Most of the time the tube system is broken, so get ready to walk at least 15 miles a night. Also, it is not guaranteed you will leave on time after your shift as the other shifts pile duties on you. The lead pharmacy technician is very rude and unpleasant to work with, and definitely picks favorites. Everyone is throwing each other under the bus and it is a hostile work environment with broken promises.
Pros
Cons
Hostile, understaffed, overworked
Helping people is my main goal
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 25, 2016
I really do enjoy my job. I'm a people person and being around others and knowing that I helped just one person, patient, family member, employee or visitor---makes it a Win! I complete audits, greet people and answer phones. Lead receptionist for many years, FMLA tracking, education reimbursement, organize for orientation. I have really nice coworkers. Seems that upper management will listen to you but it falls on deaf ears. The hardest part about my job is that I cannot put stock into our leadership team to do their part. Not just them but on up through the corporate line.
Pros
working with very rewarding side by side coworkers
Cons
bringing work home and stressing about it
Very professional and caring workplace.
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  4 WestOctober 6, 2015
While I was employed at Sparks I was able to work some of the best nurses. I was also very lucky to have an amazing boss. The scheduling was very fair and they were very good about family time.
Pros
Excellent scheduling and the use of the cafeteria.
Cons
Being pulled to other halls.
was very pleased until was sold.
Patient Care Technician\ Certified Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 23, 2015
took care of patients and employs. and employs family. was more like a family business not just a hospital. knew everyone's family, doctors included.
Very exciting & outgoing workplace
Berkeley Youth Alternative (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 27, 2015
Spark health was one of my favorite jobs, I loved it because I learned a very important skill from my co-workers. My manager was supportive in many ways helped me with a lot , I enjoyed working here over all. Hardest part would be doing the presenations.
lab is very stressful unit to work. Tons of drama, HR don't listen.
full time emp (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ATJuly 23, 2015
As a former employee, I would never recommend working for the lab under the new management. Your lucky if you get breaks they are not mandatory and lunches are when they are available. The favoritism from managers and attitudes form other phlebotomist are unreal and even though reported things get swept under the rug. If you can put up with being bullied and pushed beyond your limits then this is the job for you. I not stay clear and far away from the lab. Now the nurses and some doctors are amazing and I loved to work for them. Good Luck!!!
Pros
Set schedules except when people are always on vacation, rotating weekends
Cons
no raises, attitudes, high school atmosphere
Insurance Billing, Underpayments Collections
Managed Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 6, 2015
I worked for Spark's for many years. I had several positions while there. First I was an Insurance Biller, then promoted to Managed Care Coordinator.I enjoyed working with the Insurance Companies
collecting Underpayments.
Pros
Flex Hours
Cons
At times it was only about the #'s but this is expected of a large company.