Sparrow Health System Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Carson City, MISeptember 9, 2016
STOLE THIS FROM A PREVIOUS REVIEWER.. BUT IT DESCRIBES SPARROW CARSON CITY HOSPITAL TO A T. This hospital is going downhill quickly as far as working here goes. What used to be a great place to work is now a soul sucking experience on a daily basis. You can clearly see that the focus has shifted from focusing on what's best for patients and employees to what's best for the higher ups pocketbooks. It makes me sick to see the total lack of appreciation we employees have at this hospital. Everyone is stressed and miserable due to understaffing, horrible management, and lack of resources. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of the majority of those I work with. This is the truth about this company. I hang in there just hoping things will change but I'm not crossing my fingers.
Pros
Good co workers, decent pay, no weekends, good with scheduling
Cons
Poor management, very clicky environment, rules are diffrrnt for everybody.
Many Opportunities for growth!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2016
•Assisting Patients with daily activities.

•Helping turn or lift or reposition patients.

Assisting with obtaining Vital Signs which include Temperature, Blood Pressure, Respirations, and Heart rate.

•Documentation of Input and output of patients..

•Blood sugar testing.

•Use of EMR, basic computer skills, answering multi-phone line and transferring calls.
Terrible
Certified/Licensed Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 10, 2016
Pharmacy staff is always so short handed because the management is terrible. Scheduling is atrocious, Management could care less about anything other than themselves. Atmosphere is negative. Customers constantly yell at employees and management does nothing. Management gets raises and declines raises for others.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
Management, Compensation, Advancement, Hours, Life Balance, Vacations get Denied, Scheduling is BAD.
No room for advancement
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 5, 2016
Sparrow IT is a great place to start your career out of college but don't plan on sticking around for the long haul unless you like to play politics with leadership.

Job postings for management positions are put up mostly as a joke; the directors get together and cherry-pick the individual they want for the position long before the sham interviews begin. If you aren't tapped on the shoulder and told to apply (with a wink), you haven't got a shot at breaking through to management.

Performance evals are a joke. First you self-eval, then your manager takes a pass, then the directors (many of whom are not qualified to judge your performance as they don't work with you) knock your score down as they see fit.

If you want a place to get a start and then quickly move on, Sparrow may be a good choice for you.
Pros
Co-workers are generally great
Cons
IT leadership from director level on up are dumb, deaf and blind
Great place to learn
Radiologic Technologist Student (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 24, 2016
I had a great experience at sparrow during my 2nd year of the Radiologic Technology program. The radiologic technologist help you to become the best you could be. Sparrow works hard to provide the best possible care to their patients,alone with working together as a team.
Pros
people enjoyed working
Cons
I don't know of any at this time
Job Satisfaction
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 16, 2016
A typical day for me consisted of answering phones, checking in and scheduling a series of appointments for quality patient care.

I have learned that everyone has a story and compassion is very crucial to make sure that every patient feels that they are validated to receive the best care possible and that they are as important.

Management is as best as possible. Often leaving the office staff to work on their own knowing that they are competent to work unsupervised.

I work with some of the most talented therapist and office staff that I believe bring excellent patient care.

The hardest part of my job is receiving vague direction. I review manuals for information that is not directly supplied to me.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting a wide variety of people and working with very special people.

Working for Sparrow for 35 years has been quite an adventure in that I have seen many changes regarding excellent patient care and the growth of multiple facilities.
Pros
The ability to assist in different tasks with knowledge to perform them accurately.
Cons
Difficulty getting in touch with caregiver resources on a timely basis
Lots of opportunity
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 10, 2016
Very good place to work. Excellent advancement opportunities. 100% Tuition reimbursement for BSN. Magnet hospital.
Good place for growth
Phlebotomy Technician Externship (Current Employee) –  Carson City, MIApril 8, 2016
In a smaller community hospital, there is more opportunity to see more variety, which I like. You learn everyone's names and you also see the same people from the community come in. It's nice to build a relationship with them because it makes them feel more accepted and valued, which all patients should feel.
Review Summary
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers and visitors. I enjoy helping them.
My manager is the best she goes above and beyond to advocate for her staff. The hardest part of my job is the 12 hr shift. However working them allows for more days off.
Pros
Coffe shop and cafe
Review completion of medical records before placing in files
Health Records Analyst/ROI Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 4, 2016
A typical day in medical records - pick up records from medical floors, review each record for correct placement in chart (labs, physician orders, nursing notes etc.)
Make sure physician signatures, nursing signatures are complete signed and dated
I learned the importance of documentation and HIPPAA laws when it pertains to a patient's information within the records
The management in medical records was very knowledgeable of the standards for a record completion and was willing to share that knowledge with their employees
The hardest part of medical records is filing - But, that has changed due to EMR
I enjoyed working in Medical Records department for 8 yrs the management and and co-worker were wonderful
Pros
pay - close to home
Cons
could not advance w/out RHIT degree
Good company to work with
Accounts Payable Specialist/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 2, 2016
Enjoyed working here,
Flexible hours,
Worked well around my school schedule
Enjoyed working with my coworkers as a team
sterile processing
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 14, 2016
We worked really hard to do the jobs required with the equipment and staff we were given.

I mostly learned that every one has a different name for the equipment used
Pros
learned alot
Cons
manament
Great health benefits
Laboratory Courier (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 7, 2015
I worked for sparrow for 8 years, I worked with some great people and I had great benefits but there was no room for advancement.
Pros
freedom
Cons
pay
Senior Phlebotomist/Apheresis Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 2, 2015
A typical day at work would include plenty of fast paced work. You must be able to work well under pressure and never let the customers (patients) see you sweat. Stay calm and professional at all times and you'll go far in your career.
Large, growing healthcare system with many opportunities
RN (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 7, 2015
Having worked there since I was 19 years old I have seen many changes and growth in Sparrow Health System
For the most part I found my time at Sparrow rewarding. Have always been a bedside nurse providing direct patient care which is what I enjoy the most. Working in different departments and specialties I learned a great deal on how to care for people with different diagnoses. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing your hard work pay off-a patient recovering, being able to go home, a patient happy with care he/she received.
The hardest part was working understaffed and in unsafe situations.
Pros
Large institution with opportunities
Cons
chronic short staffing, unsafe RN/patient ratios on many occasions
Great People!
PHLEBOTOMIST (EXTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, MISeptember 8, 2015
My supervisor was amazing, i learned technique, the hardest part of the job was having to stick people more then once, my co-workers were very helpful.
Has privided a great experience.
Staffing and Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Surgery DepartmentAugust 6, 2015
I am fortunate to have worked with a huge variety of people over my nearly 20 years at Sparrow Health System. I have learned how to accept and work with a diverse community. The best part of my job is that I get to solve "puzzles" daily. I have to piece together "broken" pieces. Meaning that I work on the fly to fill in holes of the work day to find staff to operate the surgery rooms. I love that I have made many friends and very supportive "family".
Pros
Lasting bond with other staff members.
Cons
Very stressful.
It was a life experience
Environmental Services Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 23, 2015
I met some amazing nurses, techs, doctors, housekeepers, and etc. Its fast paced, hard work but in the end, its worth it. When you the patients, how much pain they are in, the only thing you want to do is help make their stay easier and more comfortable.
Pros
You see some amazing people do some incredible things.
Cons
short staffed
I enjoy my patient
Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) –  Lansing MIJune 23, 2015
I enjoy working with other an teaching new ideas, working to solve concerns that can enhance patient care, interacting with other for a common goal, I enjoy traveling and learning about new ideas from other source so to better myself.

My day starts with a brief over view of my assigned patients, I will ether start the Tele monitor or I will go and complete the morning blood sugar checks, after that I start bathes along with toileting. Getting patient up into chairs for breakfast or assisting them with there breakfast. 0900 to 1030 I am sitting at the telemetry monitor watching for alarms and doing my morning charting, at 1030 completing my baths, and start on rounding of my patients, 1500 start on stocking, trash, and Linen. 1800 back on the telemetry monitor till 1900, then finish up with last rounds before going home.
I learned how to be Patient. Manage my time so that I am productive, My co-worker are great we work as team. the lifting would be the hardest. seeing a patient get better an moving to rehab it's fulfilling to witness them when they laugh an smile.
Pros
A feeling of satifaction when the day is completed with out any occurence
Cons
Being exhausted at the end of day
Healthcare benefits were exceptional
Central Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sparrow MainJune 21, 2015
I was fortunate to work for a company that put the healthcare of it's employees as a priority. Our copays were minimal and this allowed the employees to maintain good health while taking care of patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sparrow Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Sparrow Health System Reviews by Location