SPARTAN SECURITY Employee Reviews

very good by nyc security guard standards, i only quit because i was moving
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2017
typically i dealt with many different types of people at the front desk so i learned multiple ways to handle different personalities and issues. My management staff was always helpful and encouraging with me. We alays maintained a light hearted but dignified attitude at the worksite. No real hard parts of the job.
Pros
close to home
Cons
benefits could have been better
Quiet work place.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Soundview LibraryAugust 22, 2016
Typical day at work: Losts of standing and reminding people to control their noise level as well as keeping track of library eqipment.

What you learned: To be patient with first time patrons who aren't computer savvy.

Management: N/A

Your Co-Workers: I work alone

The Hardest Part of the Job: Writing reports of daily activities that took place.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Helping patrons, meeting new people, networking and making new relationships.
Pros
Employment Security
Cons
Minimal room for Advancement
Very Professional Workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
I value the professional experience that I gained from working at Spartan Security. I have met so many great professional people at all of the sites that I was privileged to work at as a security officer.
Fun, Professional
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I had to Check cars, prevent trespasser from Piggybacking and good
Customer Service skills.
They give plenty of overtime whether if you want it or not. All of their sites are sit down post with the exception of Fordham library.
Pros
long break
Awesome Company!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 25, 2016
*Once assigned, you get trained. Once trained, you work.
*There are, at times, no typical days for an on-call, fill in officer. Each week can consist of a new post or updated training that has surfaced due to circumstance or law change.
*Management "rocks" and will do their best to maintain the happiness and balance of "good" employees.
*The hardest part of the job is leaving the company to do something new.
*The most enjoyable part of the job is work variation and flexible schedules.
Pros
Worked all over the city and county.
Cons
Leaving the company to pursue a new goal.
Friendly, underpaid officers, who are not very respected by upper management.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 10, 2014
The employees are very nice people. Unfortunately, they are treated as if they are expendable and, thereby,treated with very little respect. The micro-management of, not only the company, but the authority given to the client makes the workers feel like they are constantly under attack. They are expected to be outside during the whole shift, irregardless, of how extreme the weather, with no booth to utilize. If given a booth, you are given no chair and are expected to stand for only a few minutes and head back outside in the inclement weather. Again, from lower management down, are all friendly, kind people. Unfortunately, upper mngmt are "penny wise and dollar foolish." If they offered a better salary, they'd be able to hire a better quality worker.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Low salary, no room for advancement, no "staff room" to take your lunch in.
Worked at different locations
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2016
I worked at a college named Pratt Institute as a guard. I would patrol the dormroom hallways and the outside buildings to search for threats or anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes I would be at post sitting in front of the dorm building.

I learned how to handle myself in a multitude of situations

Hardest part: dealing with stubborn offenders

Most enjoyable: Making people feel safe
Observing and reporting activity.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 19, 2016
I provided safety screenings to Port Liberte visitors, also
responded to all property emergencies. I learned how to use surveillance while on duty. My co-workers were diverse and interesting.
i enjoy with this company
security guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2013
workig at this company i gained a lot of experience both
from Spartan Seuurity and its contractors ans supervisors
overall ratings is very good compensation we get a raise every year
they respect employees cultures and values ntrer ie no room for advancement promotion as an example management is very professional your job is secure if you do not get into trouble
Good working sites
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Good working sites . Good benefits . I did routine patrols and logins of packages . I enjoyed helping customers while doing patrols.
Great place to work for
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJune 6, 2016
I was able to come to work pass information on that needed to be passed. Able to work alone and get all my paperwork done on a timely manner.
my daily route-en
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 1, 2016
I got to work at 8pm i had to patrol the apartments making sure everything was secure and every one was okay i stood post until to then making round sto make sure everyone was inside following the 10:00 CURFEW afterwards i coutnied to walk and stand post every 20mins
its ok for now
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 15, 2016
My typical day is great. I learned to have patience. I don't really speak to management. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is getting respect from management. The most enjoyable part is the job itself.
Pros
there is no pros
Cons
the job itself no room for growth.
Good place needs more
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2014
Great to work more improvements needed compensation great work flow and finding steady sites need improvement...all in all good place to work
Pros
Great views
Cons
More work hour for overtime
productive
Commission Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2016
Working environment is always conducive .I learned a lot at work, examples are; on how to manage people's behaviors , how to control some situations around my work place and how prevent dangers before it happened.
Pros
No lunch
Cons
15 mins break
productive and fun place to work
security officer (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work was learning to meet new and exciting people both co-workers and clients

Management was very professional an easy team to work with
Pros
working with a great company
Cons
Meeting People from all over the world.
Fire Safety Director (Current Employee) –  NewYork, NYAugust 8, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of signing in student's guest using the visitor computer software. I learned how to use a computer webcam to take pictures of students and residents. Also, i learned about computer passwords. The management at the location where i work are nice.My co workers know how to do their jobs well. The hardest part of the job is the traveling. The most enjoyable job is meeting International students.
Pros
Free food
Cons
A long commute to work.
Security Guard
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2015
standing all day in one spot for twelve hour shifts. greeting people at front desk, checking Identification and ensuring safety. I learned this kind of work is not for me.
Cons
get comp time instead of overtime
Corporate Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at work is arriving at 5am changing into uniform and be on post by 6am. Log in all personnel open the doors and check that the building is secure and no homeless people are in or around the building.I was taught by my night supervisor how to remove a homeless person. Management at Spartan are reasonable and fair. The hardest part of the job is responding to Code Blue and hope it is not a serious event. Respond to all calls for persons stuck in the elevators and keep them calm until they are rescued. My co-workers are respectful but keep in mind I am their supervisor. I relieve all workers for breaks and lunch. I rotate the staff during the day for ex. handicap elevator, x-ray machine and loading dock workers. My work day ends at 7pm, 4pm and 2pm. I work 50hrs a week.
Pros
I give liberal time off when one of my guards need to leave early for doctor or family matter
Cons
Healthcare is not provided nor personal days
A rough day at my security post in square apartments.
Non- Commissioned Security (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2013
My first day at work I was on my own. No one came out to train me, called to check on me, so I didn't know anything about enforcing curfew or any restrictions of the property. This was very hard for me. I called in to ask for someone to come out, was told an officer would be there later, and was also told to log in to cars, in which would've cost me my life because I wasn't armed. The only enjoyable thing about Spartan Security is that I have a piece of mind working by myself. Although, this came about when I got trained the second day and was informed that curfew in commonly at 10. Other than that, I didn't like the training or the management because they were kind of racist to me.
Pros
I had to provide my own food, in which was no problem.
Cons
I took breaks to the store, I also worked at night so if the store was closed then I couldn't use the restroom.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPARTAN SECURITY. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7