Spartan Shops Employee Reviews

Beginning was fun, later hectic (from 2011 to 2016)
Cash Handling, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2016
Spartan Shops, Inc was a fun company to work for in the beginning. Test employees by throwing them into the fire and see how they handle the situation. If handled well, employees would get a promotion and the cycle would repeat itself until an employee would either be burned out or quit. Occasionally, employees who are deemed worthy would be put into a manager position and would be expected to train new-hires. Since it is a company in a Cal State University, many student employees are hired and have trouble balancing both a job and school. Overall, I enjoyed my time until the last 2 years or so.
Pros
$200 monthly allowance for full-time employees
Cons
Managers lack experience and supervisors aren't fully trained on how to train employees
Productive and fun work environment
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my work day was getting a chance to socialize with my coworkers who I enjoyed working with greatly. I learned how to utilize my teamwork and leadership skills effectively. I also learned how to create and maintain social media marketing content and effectively run marketing campaigns using social media/print marketing.
Pros
Meal Passes
Cons
Maximum 25 hours per week for student interns
Working at the Village Market
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 19, 2016
Working with Spartan Shops at the Village Market was an educational and enjoyable experience. At the Village Market I learned to work with fellow employees and learned to work together with them to accomplish any task. Walking into the Village for a day of work was never a sad moment. You walk in say hi to all the employees, clock in, and get to work. No part of getting to work was difficult as I was trained very well to learn every task of the job. All aspects of working at the Village Market were enjoyable. I would love to go back and continue to work there.
Easy work but management is terrible
Event Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 17, 2016
Good job for starters in college but not the best job to stay with. Very flexible hours and can call off anytime.Work can be fun at time but when workers stop showing up everything is a mess.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short hours
Fun workplace for college students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2016
A typical day at work for me was just making transactions and money exchanges. On my free time, I will restock merchandise, clean the area and organize the station. Co-workers were SJSU students and very relatable and enjoyable to work with, management was easy going and easy to talk to. There was nothing difficult about this job.
Pros
50% off and free drinks.
Fun place to work.
Food Court Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2015
It was a food court in San Jose State University. Great place to interact with lots of new people. Management was understanding and helped balance work and life.
Great opportunity for freshmen, bad job security.
Dining Commons "Front of House" Worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2015
Spartan Shops Dining Commons is a great job for new students who need extra cash. Its very accommodating to freshmen students and the training is very simple. The catch is that once your first year is over or if you decided to leave for academics, its very hard to apply again. Other students have priority and the response time from the staff is very slow. Work stations are easy and simple enough to manage. Breaks are regular and staff is allowed to the food as well.
Pros
Great starting job, Easy to pick up, and on-campus location.
Cons
Staff not always helpful, not very flexible with schedule, and other students have priority over you.
Not well organized or efficient
Mongolian BBQ Chef (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 4, 2015
I would not recommend working here to anyone. Management is disrespectful and treats its employees poorly. There are also little chances for advancement.
Worked great with class hours.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 24, 2014
I learned how to work with big groups of customers. It was a great social experience.
Convenient
Student Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2013
My commute was a minute long, that's the best thing I can say about it.
productive and fun!
Food Server (Current Employee) –  san jose, caJanuary 5, 2013
Love working in the food court and meeting new people.
Great food!
Great management.
Friendly environment.
Very Clean.
fun fast pace environment
Food Server (Former Employee) –  san jose,caMay 1, 2012
great experience workinng here. fast fun environment and had a chance to people from all walks and wheels of life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spartan Shops. Our community is ready to answer.

Spartan Shops Reviews by Location