SpartanNash Employee Reviews

Small to Medium Grocery Supplier
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 16, 2017
While this place has a long history in the grocery industry supplying small to medium stores, it certainly isn't a solid career choice in today's economy as the smaller stores are being acquired/eliminated by the likes of Walmart and Amazon's ventures.

In the short time I was employed there many of the higher seniority people routinely complained about the lack of hours compared to the previous year. The hours were based upon order volume so over time and hours weren't guaranteed. There was a pervasive feeling of animosity from them to the new hires. It was well known that the voice sets were buggy despite complaints to management who seemed to only smile and nod their heads with no improvements. Management also encouraged skipping/canceling breaks and running to improve individual performance. Employee turn over was definitely encouraged and if you didn't fit their mold you were nudged out.

Generally, I felt the hours were decent though the long term viability seems a bit uncertain. The pay was one of the best in town for starting level warehouse workers ($15.75/hour). They had nice benefits for those wanting them. For the right person there could be some sort of future there. Some of the coworkers were helpful and polite, but there were a few rude people too. Employee morale was quite low. SpartanNash is ok for temporary/short term employment, but for most people I wouldn't recommend it beyond a few months to a year tops.
Pros
The pay, benefits
Cons
Employee morale, management, job security, etc.
Not worth the stress
Produce Lead (Former Employee) –  Bellaire, MIAugust 9, 2017
Just walk away unless you are truly desperate for a meager paycheck. There is no on training other than when they tell say you did it wrong. And on a good day you are expected to do the work of only three people.
Pros
Plenty of stress and blame to go around.
Cons
Low pay and always understaffed.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 9, 2017
Great place to work. Everyone is a team player.Very helpful, training a plus. Company is very Military oriented, meaning they support current military and vets. Great core values for the company. They care about t he employee.
Productive workplace and great benefits and good disability programs when something happens and your job is secure when you return
Order Selector/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 3, 2017
This place is a good place to work at because it is a productive workplace with awesome coworkers and the management is understandable when it comes to dealing with hardships in every employees lives on a day to day basis. Its a very energetic place to work and requires you to be full of energy to do the work required.
Missrable and an Awful place to work
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJuly 24, 2017
They really don't care if you make it or not. Their night shift supervisor in the grocery warehouse is suppose to meet with you one a week till your probationary period, but he doesn't even do that simple task. If you are really in need of a job then apply here, otherwise don't even bother
nothing good to say
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 19, 2017
work , life balance non existent - No communication or organization between departments or shifts. Horrible experience working here, There is no training programs in place , this is not a family environment , no one wants to help anyone
Nice place easy to learn what your job skills are as you run around and get the orders done
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHJuly 12, 2017
Easy layed back workplace work isn't hard to due ride around picking orders till all the orders are done easy to learn all the pick slots team work make the dream work.
Pros
Not hard work anybody can due it
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible Management
ASST. MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 1, 2017
Upper management harasses their employees, forcing them to work hours out of their availability. Lack of pay. Don't give raises or promotions to people who work hard. Hire their friends for higher paying jobs. I'd never recommend this company to anyone. HR doesn't do anything about harassment. Never get to take a vacation due to serious turnover,
Pros
Employees are usually nice
Cons
Benefits sucks, pay is awful, management is horrible.
Dump
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 29, 2017
Will do everything possible to ruin up your career. 15 hr days with no breaks is common. Management (and i use that term very loosely here) is clueless as to how to run a business and deal with people.
Pros
Cons
15 hr days with no breaks
poor work enviorment
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJune 28, 2017
I worked for Spartan nash for several months and found the work environment very poor and stressful management would rather go on vacation all the time or smoke cigarettes all day, the pay for the work was hardly anything one cannot support themselves working for this company unless you are in a management position the hours were okay the treatment of employees male to be specific was bias and not healthy and acceptable for a good work environment
Pros
friendly coe workers
Cons
breaks hours pay managment
Friendly Crew
Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Ignace, MIJune 21, 2017
I had a fun time there, my crew was pretty personal and friendly, they helped me out when I needed it, and then I was able to work on my own. I didn't have too many screw-ups, but I did get pretty strained once the hours piled on. I do not recommend this job for people who have injuries or are overweight, physically unfit. It is a social job, so you have to be loud and heard to get customers in your lane, don't be shy! But this builds up charisma and social interaction more.
Pros
Gave me lots of hours to get more money, friendly people, understanding customers.
Cons
Physically inclined labor, not for those overweight. Can be stressful, as it is a social job.
Best Place I've Ever Worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  York, NEJune 20, 2017
My boss was very accommodating and he was very encouraging. When I missed 2 days of work for depression he didn't fire me. He sat down with me and was very understanding. I excelled at my job. I started as a cashier and became a Customer Service Representative and then started training to be a manager. I wasn't able to finish my training because the store closed.
Pros
They treat mental illness with the same respect as physical if not more, Got to work nights
Productive and fast paced atmosphere
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJune 19, 2017
Fast paced work environment. Physically demanding. Hard working people, unstable hours, forced overtime and compulsed overtime on days off. Ability to work holidays. Ability to gain seniority and move up.
Productive and Uplifting Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 9, 2017
Workers were always busy either busy helping keep the store in top shape or were always helping customers whether it was taking groceries to cars, finding specific items, and etc. Hardest part of the job is the lack of workers, every time the place would hire a person they would quit before they would even train. The customers were the best part of the job, having a friendly face to talk to everyday felt pretty nice and those type of customer and employee connection makes the work place more enjoyable.
it was alright
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNJune 7, 2017
little support from coworkers. Honestly it was fun working there in the beginning but after a while it got bad to the point where I didn't want tot work there again
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
rude employees, barely scheduled for work
poor excuse for a retail company
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 6, 2017
once Spartan came into the picture, every day was absolute CHAOS.
Corp. office were of no help and you could not trust anyone.
District managers were absolutely terrible to work with and offered no help or direction.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fast paced family enviornment
Backup Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 1, 2017
Almost every store I worked at for this company has been a great time. They choose their employees wisely because it feels like one big family. Everybody helps each other out
Cons
No benefits, had a manager override key but wasnt technically a manager
Casual work enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 31, 2017
At Family Fare, I was a cashier; so at the beginning of all my shifts I would start on the cash register. I would greet customers and do whatever I could to meet their needs. I enjoyed working with the people there and the management was understanding and able to work with a schedule.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Unorganized
It's for some people
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMay 30, 2017
All in all it is a great company as far as pay and insurance are concerned. It will provide money to pay for the bills.

Being a union workshop there are definitely clashing sides, but if you do your job and keep your head low there shouldn't be any issues.

The only truly negative part of being a Spartan employee is the work weeks. midweek splits unless you have 25 years of seniority.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Work weekends
good place to work
Cake Decorator/Asst. Deli/Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MIMay 22, 2017
good place to work, management is great, coworkers are great, hours are good, customers are especially great. associate discount, 401k, health benefits and lots of other employee perks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7