SpartanNash Employee Reviews

Understanding management
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 21, 2016
While the job is monotonous and physically demanding, it pays really well and the workers are very courteous and will help you learn the tools of the trade.
Cons
Short breaks for the work you do
Worse management I have ever experienced
many different (Current Employee) –  Northern MichiganSeptember 21, 2016
If there was something less that 1 star to choose I would have! Horrible management. Horrible work environment. Horrible pay. This company cares nothing for the people. DO NOT apply or work here
Pros
not a one
Cons
too many to list
Empty promises
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 21, 2016
They promise a lot raises promotion clothing reimbursement. But never see any of it. Management is rude and demeaning.
Pros
Cons
Working fore their stores
Team building place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, Ga.September 19, 2016
Everyone worked as a team. Easy to advance to higher positions. Management was on your side when u needed them. An enjoyable place to work with excellent benefits.
very hard job but satisfying
Receiving Unloader (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 8, 2016
Company doesn't care about their employees but is good pay but work alot of hours. I enjoyed running the different machinery and alot of the employees are rude and disrespectful to other employees.
Pros
pay
Cons
no supervision
Management is the worst
Dispatcher/Operations/Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 7, 2016
Hostile work environment. POOR LEADERSHIP. long hours, racism, prejudice, worst manager ever GUY GROSS. Drivers are vulgar and racial. LIARS and CHEATS
A good stepping stone
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delton, MIAugust 26, 2016
I enjoyed my time here for the most part. Our store is a small community store and I liked that environment. Most of the employees of this store have been here for years; however, there was quite a turnover with cashiers.
Pros
great for part-time work
Cons
not much room for advancement
Good place to start out
3rd Shift Stocker (Current Employee) –  Cascade, MIAugust 24, 2016
SpartanNash is a god company to work for when just starting in the work force. Jobs are fairly easy and direct. Though sometimes communication is lacking it is relatively easy to get things done such as improving work environment and getting new hires when needed
Not worth it
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand haven, miAugust 15, 2016
I worked at D&W for almost 5 years. I started at 7.25, and by the end of all those years, I was making 8.18. They do not give big enough raises, or show appreciation for how hard you work. Some of the people there are great, but don't expect to be treated like you're more than the work you do. If they had better benefits and a better pay raise system, it wouldn't be so bad
Pros
People, breaks given
Cons
Awful pay scale, little appreciation
Very close bonded group
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 10, 2016
Spartannash as you know it now is a very large supplier to grocery stores and military commissaries. The Statesboro location was a very small group of employees which allowed the crew to become very familiar with each other even management. The only hard part was the actual labor involved in order fulfillment.
Good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 2, 2016
Good place to work. management is friendly, as well as most of the staff members. You actually get breaks when you work 4 or more hours.
Great place to work and advance
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 30, 2016
Great Leadership Team in place. The Director is a great P/L guy who has clear cut directives. Overall, great benefits and compensation packages also.
Don't do it
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 11, 2016
I've worked here for almost two years and you are literally just a number to them. Management sucks and if you get on the bad side of the warehouse director you might as well kiss your job goodbye. They don't treat their employees like humans beings and sometimes you work up to 20 hours a day with no time compensation for long hours so one long bad day can destroy your check for the week. None of the employees work together unless they're friends and this place is full of drama. They physically mentally and emotionally destroy you. The pay sounds great but you have to kill yourself and put others safety in danger just to make good money. If you're looking for a job that doesn't make you want to kill yourself everyday you show up this is definitely not the place for you.
Pros
Free pizza on long days, cookouts when they feel we deserve it, hr guy is really nice, plenty of pto
Cons
Everything else
Hoping this "company" gets absorbed by a bigger player
Ha. (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJune 20, 2016
Everyone I've ever met who has worked for them, hates the company. ZERO employee satisfaction. Very arrogant corporate structure. They will work you until you drop, then throw rocks on your coffin. Including their store mgrs. Fall, spartan, fall. Give it up to better players.
Pros
There's always an opening.
Cons
There's a reason there's always an opening. They can't even hang on to store mgmt.
Review
Person in Charge (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 4, 2016
Great place if you need a minimum wage job, horrible place if you're attempting to get a decent paying job or move up the chain.
Benefits/pay competitive, work environment confined. Programming standards are unstable. Culturally diverse. Wealth isolated.
Computer Programmer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 3, 2016
I entered into contractual work with Nash Finch Company in 2002. At the time the company was undergoing a change of leadership as well as a Securities & Exchange investigation of vendor practices. Ron Marshall was CEO, the executor of company-wide initiatives. Employees had little to no interaction with the executive leadership, as is typical with corporations in America today, and when granted an opportunity, were given little material with which to build an intelligible conversation that held relevance to company projects. For the last 16 years I have spent the majority of my time in a small cubicle testing applications and providing routine minimalistic changes to applications as per leadership directive, with little or no interaction between myself and anyone outside the team in which I was assigned. Unfortunately, I cannot say I was pleased with the conciseness of application architecture on the AS/400 Emerging technologies enabled some modernization of applications, however, the fundamental programming approach was all too often left to the intellectually cluttered devices of development staff in years past and standards of development were sketchy & sometimes even frowned upon by technical staff. It was fortunate the programming languages were configured to allow application development within the construct of the language's architecture, as developers rarely took the time to simply tidy up the organizational placement of new logic in the applications and merge it with existent language stricture to visual benefit. During my tenure with the company, I was granted  more... participation in several relatively major project initiatives. These initiatives were successfully implemented with ongoing support & fairly perpetual oversight via on-call support that was not compensated. I was only occasionally given a say in how to set about developing applications, and was chastised & reprimanded for advocating the idea of refreshing application structure to meaningfully organize architectural construct within programs & bring the architecture up-to-date for relevance to current business. In short, we were held bound to support a system that really wasn't consistently well-developed to any collective standard in many respects, and also disciplined against inroads toward structural clean-up in applications. Towards the end of my employment I was directly marginalized in my ability to voice concerns about evident employee behavior and the negative impact behavioral patterns had on my morale and subsequent diminished desire to put forth a best effort towards productive ends within the company. Employees bound to one another by committed personal affairs, legal and otherwise, are granted lien to flaunt their positions on issues of controversy relentlessly, without regard to collective morale. And those granted privilege to the vast majority of financial prowess were not always schooled in reasonable demonstrations of authority. Disrespect has become the typical model of character in the workplace, isolation and evasiveness the accepted approach to behavioral conflict. On numerous occasions I have been berated as immature, a consequence for simply voicing a concern about lack of complete structural integrity within programs, and moreover, lack of children within my household set against a backdrop of child-rearing coworkers who are mutually employed by one & the same company, essentially enabling & encouraging shows of strength within company circles by parties of joint employment interest. Furthermore, bullying is held acceptable and shows of cloistered strength are commonplace. Duplicitous behavior is acknowledged, and quite possibly even encouraged, within leadership circles. If a person holding a position of authority doesn't agree with someone who holding a position of lesser repute within the company at large, bullying tactics are surreptitiously granted lien.
I won't provide names, but SpartanNash company for me had grown to be a rather inhospitable work environment, with work space irrationally confined and and work environment profligate with mediocre standards of development and interpersonal behavior, sometimes championed by the leadership itself, which lends voice to personal opinion and largely ignores reasonable concerns raised by those employees left to work amongst themselves in the tightly knit rows of cubes.
I do not think SpartanNash is demonstrating levels of accomplishment, culturally and architecturally (with regard to applications AND work environment), that are to be upheld for the long-term collective benefit of its widely varied & diverse employee demographic. I encourage introspective, innovative, and also quite importantly, considerate people to seek pasture in greener climes.
Pros
Climate-controlled work environment, flexibility to work extra hours to shore up issues with applications, limited lenience toward daily arrival/departure time
Cons
Building remodel is extremely confining, small cubes moved from windows to center floor, counterproductive structural remodel of the building that is too constricting, Application architecture developed hastily and sometimes to unstable effect, seriously deficient leadership philosophy for conflict mitigation, disparity of financial gain lop-sided, Diversity has led to occasional conflict & confrontation amongst employees, Racial profiling a risk with management untrained for diverse employment demographic, Duplicitous behavior commonplace. Attention & reaction to concerns voiced seems lacking, additional education may be beneficial within leadership circles.
EMPLOYEES ARE DISCONNECTED there are no connection. No communication from staff to employee
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn sioux fallsMay 27, 2016
They said your work is based on insensitive based the harder you work the more you earn. But what they doesn't tell you is that the timer is twicked so you have to work as 3x harder to get incentive. And if you don't get 100% every night you is subject to be terminated. How is that possible if you new to a company and you are trying your best. All they care about is their order being out on time. And their numbers & stats. But not you the employee &people
Pros
Ain't nothing about that job makes you happy to go back the next day
Cons
Nothing is about the employee.
Poor Management
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Sterling, COMay 9, 2016
The two managers at the store in Sterling Colorado have to be two of the worst ones I've ever met. They do not care for their employees well beings and make a lot of empty promises. They work their people into the ground while sit of their a**** in their office all day.
Good Working and Learning Environment
Accounts Payable - Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIApril 23, 2016
Working for SpartanNash through Accountemps has been a good learning experience. It has allowed me to use my degree and broaden my perspectives, allowing me to further develop my skills.

I've enjoyed working at SpartanNash with great coworkers and leadership that wants to push the company forward to new heights.
overall great place
HIlift/Fork General utility worker (Former Employee) –  Westville, INApril 21, 2016
good environment. safe and clean. friendly. fast pace . the management team at our division was very caring. i will miss this place.
Pros
performance driven
Cons
employee communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7