SPARTECH Employee Reviews

BAD UPPER MANAGEMENT but awesome co-workers!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 29, 2016
Worked there for 10 years at Muncie Plant. Advanced several times in the company. HIGH STRESS JOB. 12 hr shifts, hot work. Decent pay, but you will earn it! They make it very evident that you are only an employee to them.
Pros
Good pay for our area
Cons
12 hr shifts, 72 hrs per week, disorganized management techniques, they do not not spend money to fix machinery, in-house quality control way to leanant...
great place to work
Processor/ Set-Up/Robot Tech (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSOctober 6, 2015
loved working here, great people and they are like family. just a great place. would come back in a heart beat. great team effort
Very good pay
Fork truck Driver (Former Employee) –  salisbury, MDJune 10, 2015
This job offered very good pay and benefits. Also good chances for advancement. got paid every week and every other week offered overtime,
Pros
pay
Cons
racist, rude workers
very skilled work force with good team work and effort
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portage, WIMay 10, 2015
Atypical day at work started out with communicating with the supervisor off going shift. Proceed down to the production floor and talk to the people on my shift and pass on any info they might need. Go from machine to machine and insure every thing was available and ready for them to complete their work for the day. Do a safety walk around the plant, check with maintenance department to find out if there were any issues that needed to be delt with on shift. At end of the shift prepare shift report and communicate with on coming supervisor. You were always learning new thing every day plastics is a very fluid and changing product and never seams to run exactly the same way . My co worker were all every talented people each with their own special talents.
Least favorite part of the job was having to release people from employment with the company.
Favorite part of the job was promoting people or having some people retire after years of service with the company.
Pros
The people
Cons
Shutting down the portage plant
Packer
Packer (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 6, 2015
I was a packer at this job. I learned that its very important to keep and clean work environment. I also learned the importance of safety at this job. I think my management team was very down to earth and understanding. It was normally 2 people per machine so team work was very important. I enjoyed this job being fast pace more than anything.
Pros
Fast pace
Cons
Shorter breaks
hard work but fun
Factory Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ripon, WIApril 13, 2015
I loved working here, most of the people are so nice and helpful. The management here helps there employees. They are big on rewarding for hard work.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
very hot inside during summer
Getting a half hour break every two hours
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day was hard work but, there were times to relax. I learned a lot about what you think is real is most of the time a laminate. The management was great very helpful and fair.Great co-workers everybody pulled together to get the job done. Change overs were the hardest part of the job everything just about is heavy. Joking with co-workers helped the day go by.
Pros
breaks, pay, advancement chances
Cons
12 hour work days, no climate control, hard work
Bringing innovation and technology to combat sports
Product Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 20, 2014
Start up on the path of success.
Great Idea and great leadership.
Good Employees
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dover, NJSeptember 22, 2014
As an Account Executive for Spartech Solutions a typical day was very fast paced. I have gained experience in business development and increased my skills in customer service. The employees I worked with were great teammates who were fast and efficient. The most difficult part of the job was creating new relationships with new customers. The most enjoyable part of this position was working with the President of the company on different projects and brainstorming on how to increase sales.
Great Facilities, Equipment, Technology and Personnel
Senior Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Donora, PAJune 22, 2014
Casualty of the Global Plastics Crisis, acquired by Poly-one once all of the dust had settled.
Pros
culture, personnel, sales staff, facilities, laboratory, equipment
Cons
caught in lack of vision as so many other companies were at that time.
So So company
Operator/Martial Handler (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOFebruary 14, 2014
A typical day included weighing up blends to run in machine to make plastics. I learn how to run an extruder. Management wasn't the best,mostly in office. Corporate had no clue what it took to do the job and changing policies that made the job tex times harder then it should of been. My co-workers were pretty good,i made some great friends. The hardest part of the job was the heat,having to be up 30 feet for an hour to two hours at a time in 100+ degrees.The most enjoyavle part of the job was the people i worked beside and plus the pay was good.
Pros
made good friends
Cons
always working
i enjoyed my time there
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDFebruary 13, 2014
I didn't work there long but my time there was an overall good and genuine experience.
Great organization and facilities in a difficult economic climate
Senior Dev. Eng., Specialty Colors and Compounds (Former Employee) –  Donora, PANovember 12, 2013
Worked in Monongahela PA when the global economy took a giant down-turn. Spartech shut a number of plants and our facility downsized as well. We had great equipment, well maintained, screw extrusion (twin and single) with powder and liquid feeds, lamination lines for roofing compounds and incorporation of polyester scrim. Excellent laboratory with TGA, DSC, Dielectric Characterization, Color (Beckman), Ash, Gloss, SAP data base with integral on-line process data, full pilot laboratory with extrusion, sheet and film lines, two banburys, hot presses and most impressive was an FTIR microscope for analysis. Great management and personnel.
Pros
facilities, personnel, scope of products, regulatory structure, big organizaiton
Cons
just happened to be there when the economy took a downturn.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 10, 2013
Good people to work with.
Good pay checks.
Overtime.
Plant closing in January
Positive growth environment
Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 26, 2013
Great people to work with! Team motivated environment. First class innovation center.
Pros
strong technology advancements in engineered tpo compounds.
Cons
job security
making plastic cups (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 28, 2012
Very fast paced and the co-workers were real easy to get along with. The kool thing i learned was how plastic jello cups were made to.
Pros
30 min break
Cons
it was a 12 hr shift
Great people but in need of serious management
Corporate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 15, 2012
Financially driven company, needs to invest more to provide customer solutions and operational improvements to be competitive
Pros
rewarding innovative thinkers
Cons
senior management is isolated