SPCA Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Loved working with animals
Animal Caretaker/Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCNovember 10, 2017
Hardest part of the job was performing euthenasia of animals that were not adoptable. Physically demanding job but rewarding when animals were placed into good homes.
helpful and orderly
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 6, 2017
at this place i've come across many more challenges than you would guess, none of them unbearable. focus is needed to be successful in this work area due to the fast pace chaotic mess.
you get to work with animals
past employee (Former Employee) –  New York StateOctober 2, 2017
highly stressful periods yet rewarding work. low pay for the jobs you perform but you get to be a part of something that you believe in. there is a very high turnover, people get burnt out quickly.
The manager was not honest
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYSeptember 24, 2017
The manager made up false records to NY State about how many animals were put to sleep. His boss was also in on the fraud. I saw many papers that were not filled out properly or legally. Animals were sometimes lost or missing. Some animals were mistreated. I was also not properly trained. The boss's dog was allowed to roam the office and was very dirty and smelled very bad and would leave BM's all around.
Pros
I got a paycheck
Cons
the place was dirty and it smelled very, very bad
volunteer
Pet Host/Adoption events (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 20, 2017
excellent place to good care of the animals. Learned alot about animal behavior. Very rewarding. Got to meet people and help them find part of their family.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
non
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 19, 2017
• Provided general care of the animals by feeding, walking and cleaning when necessary
• Maintained the kennels; helped the nurses give medication and shots
volunteer work
SPCA volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wellsville, NYAugust 30, 2017
worked as a volunteer through college to help gain experience as a new veterinary technician. small building but wonderful to have the ability to help out at a shelter.
Pros
helping the animals
Cons
poor conditions
Love
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAAugust 11, 2017
As an animal lover i was alway excited to come into work and see all the happy faces and getting to hear about the improvement in some of the dogs. Not only that but getting to find out if one has been adopted always made my day
Spca
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 9, 2017
I worked at the SPCA because I love animals and I wanted to help. The SPCA was volunteer work so I did it on my free time. It was fun I loved being there and would go back.
SPCA thrift store, working as stocker and receiver.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 30, 2017
- Receiving, sorting, and stocking donations and merchandise already in the store.

- I learned time management skills because I was in high-school at the time and had full classes. I also learned how to handle and manage merchandise and complete tasks on time.

- Management was helpful and friendly, and made sure people knew their assigned tasks and were able to complete them quickly and efficiently.

- The culture was good with many similarly-aged people who looked out for each other and had good relationships with others.

- The hardest part was learning to transition from receiving, to sorting items and making sure they all got to their correct place in order sorted by pricing.

- Working with enthusiastic and helpful people, and finding cool stuff in the donations that you could buy if you wanted, and nice store discounts.
Pros
Good enviornment and various cool things to discover.
Cons
Short lunch time and not near much food, which was pretty easily fixed.
Productive and extremely fun to take care of the animals
Canine Companion (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 14, 2017
I loved volunteering at the SPCA. I got to spend quality time with all of the dogs for the time that I was there, which was usually 2.5 hours a week. It was an easy sign in process and definitely something I would do again!
Pros
Able to visit with any animal.
Cons
On slow days there's not much to do.
Great place
Volunteer - SPCA (Current Employee) –  Camden, DEJune 5, 2017
Easy going
Good employees, very dedicated, good place to work, I was only a volunteer but it was a good experience. I would recommend it to anyone who loves dogs.
Very nice place to work!
Volunteer Services (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2017
The SPCA is very therapeutic as well as a great place for me to donate my time to the community. I enjoy the people I have met at the SPCA, especially the animals I see from time to time. It is a non-lethal establishment in that they do not kill the animals they rescue.
Pros
Dogs and cats, good people to work with.
Cons
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Animal Technician and adoption counselor (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 24, 2017
My typical day at work consisted of feeding and watering the animals. I also filtered through good and bad people looking to adopt one of our animals. An application process was required before any adoption could be approved. I learned how to involve teamwork in my daily activities and how to handle the different personalities of many adopters. Management was very helpful and supportive in my everyday activities. Workplace culture was very stable as everyone worked together to get the work done. The hardest part of the job was having to put an animal to sleep. The most enjoyable was seeing an animal go to a loving life long home.
Pros
The joy of working with animals and putting them in homes
Cons
Having to put animals to sleep
Productive, calm workplace with many lovable animals
foster assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day volunteering at the spca as a foster assistant, consists of me assisting with sanitation of Foster equipment including but not limited to bowls, crates and toys and laundry. assisting with preparing weekly Foster list for email distribution. Assisting with animal care routine for Foster animals housed in the Foster Center. and Greeting visitors and showed them the animals currently available for Foster. volunteers, volunteer at different time so I mainly did my duties alone, which I would say was the hardest part of the job. the most enjoyable part of the job is definitely being able to interact with the kittens and puppies.
One of a kind
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAJanuary 6, 2017
SPCA of Quakertown has a nice training system for volunteers, and they even offer to rehab large animals such as horses. The staff are eager to help you out.
It was a fun place to volunteer at ,I got along with everyone
Volunteer Greeter (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 23, 2016
The SPCA OVERALL WAS a fantastic place to volunteer for, they were very accommodating to my physical needs. I got along with everyone there, And when I was in the hospital, they offered to house my cats at no charge.
I loved this job. Very good place to work at. Excellent service.
Kennel Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 8, 2016
My typical day at work started cleaning out cages to get the work day going and to make sure we were done before we opened up in the mornings. What I learned is to get animals a good home and how to take care of them. Management was very good. My coworkers we got along just great with each other. The hardest part of the job was when some of the animals didn't want to work with you. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting animals adopted and to good homes.
Pros
good customer service
Amazing and fun
Volunteer Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Reno-Stead, NVOctober 20, 2016
Volunteering at the SPCA is both an amazing experience and very sad. I would get attached to dogs and they would be adopted, which was a great thing until they were brought back for ridiculous reasons.
Pros
You got to play and walk puppies and dogs and worked with a great staff.
Cons
Seeing animals dropped for sad or pathetic reasons. Seeing animals returned for ridiculous reasons.
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 17, 2016
Great environment! Everything is very detail oriented. You must pay attention to detail. It is strictly volunteer and well worth the time. I would volunteer more if I could.
Pros
Very organized