SPCA Employee Reviews

productive
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 22, 2015
typical day at work in the SPCA is we open the shelter and start taking care of the animals. I've learned how to spay or neuter any animal, how to properly rehabilitate or socialize an animal who has been abused or abandoned. management was awesome here, they took care of their staff and shelter. My co-workers were always happy and cheery at work. The hardest part of the job is having to euthanize an animal if they can't be saved. The most enjoyable part of the job is once the animals are fully rehabilitated and socialized they are put for adoptions
Pros
animals, free food, awesome workplace
Cons
euthanize animals
Supportive environment
Volunteer Adoption Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FLAugust 30, 2015
Nice people but no room for growth or other opportunities to cross train in other areas. I learned alot about animals in how they are cared for while undergoing treatment. I also learned signs to look for in animals that may mean they are showing early signs of being sick. I also learned about then adoption process and how to best fit a animals personality with the right person or family interested in adopting.
Pros
nice people
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FloridaJune 10, 2015
My typical day was taking care of the animals bathing, cleaning, doing laundry, picking up waste, and dog walks. The best part was caring for the animals.
Pros
Caring
Cons
wished to work there
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLMay 3, 2015
great experience to volunteer for. great people that take their volunteering too serious. the hardest part was getting scratched by the cats. most enjoyable part was enjoying the animals.
good
Volunteer ASPCA animal shelter (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 11, 2015
I had a good experience there. Helping to help and provide for animals was amazing. Many people said it was morning but I don't think it was.
A great fun and learning experience
Volunteer at the SPCA (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day at work would be taking on new task day by day in order to care for the animals. Cleaning and feeding is a part of the everyday tasks. The people are nice because you're around others who have the same love for animals as you. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by so many animals.
Pros
loving animals
Perfect For EVERYONE
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 8, 2014
Animals were great! The people were friendly. You clean, and play with the cute animals! Perfect place to be!
Pros
got training, got as many breaks as needed, nice people, cute pets
Absolutely loved volunteering there.
volunteer at the Dublin (Former Employee) –  Dublin, DSeptember 21, 2014
All of the public that would come in were all so friendly. It was sad seeing some of the animals that would come in that were very skinny and left for dead. I am a very big animal person.
Helpful place to work, very fun and comfortable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno caAugust 20, 2014
A typical day would be walking the dogs and feeding them after washing all their bowls and washing their cages. Then we would go and do laundry and make sure everything was prepared for the next 6 hours in which we would have to do it again. Then we would go and do the same for cats. Ive learned that there are a lot of animals in need of help and that although it is hard to take good care of an animal it is very well worth having the love and companionship and animal provides. The hardest part of the day would probably be washing up the cages because overnight they were a little messy. But the most enjoyable part was to get to spend time with all those animals and helped them feel loved.
Great place to volunteer to gain experience
Volunteer dog walker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 13, 2014
I volunteered here for a short time, but in that time I worked with dogs in walking and exercising them and cleaning their kennels. Basic stuff. If the veterinarians or technicians needed extra set of hands they would call you. Really great variety of people in the work environment, very knowledgeable and kind to the clients.
Dog Walker
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 5, 2014
A typical day at SPCA can be fun, and challenging. I learned to have more patience than ever before. And I also learned how to train aggressive breeds of dogs. The most enjoyable part of this job. Was seeing dogs learn to begin to trust people again. And seeing them get adopted.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
people not adopting animals
Very good way to learn responsibility and care for other living things.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, Virginia 23462July 28, 2014
A great place to volunteer if you love animals and people. You will learn many skills for everyday life and career life while in this environment.
Pros
you get to spend time with all kinds of animals and play with them.
Cons
you sometimes have to say goodbye to animals, whether it be to a family or they must pass on.
Outgoing nice hardworking girl
Dog Cuddle (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2014
I am a person who is very outgoing. I will do whatever is asked of me to do. I love working with other. I really want to be a vet when i get older. I love animals! I am going to college to go into some feild that works with animals. I am always on time and ready to work i maybe even early for work. I will work hard and not complain i dont argue with anyone. I always come to work with a smile on my face no matter how early it is. I have learned how to run a consignment store. I learn to take in inventory, used a cash register, orginize clothing by size and color. I learned how to solve problem that customers have. i know how to mop, weed, take trash out, vacuum, and water plants.
loving caring enviroment
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2014
A typical day at work was fun energizing creative and loving. I have learn that all the animals have different types of needs and needed to be taken care of in different ways. The management was very nice and organized. my co-workers was friendly, helpful, and encouraging. the hardest part of the job was not being able to help out with all the animals, you had to be a certain age to help with certain animals. The most enjoying part of the job was seeing that the animals had finally found a loving family to go home too.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
n/a
Lively and very Welcoming
Virginia Beach SPCA Volunteer (Former Employee) –  VAJune 8, 2014
The employees at the VBSPCA greet you with a smile and treat all types of animals that walk in with great care, as well as handle them correctly based on the various personalities. The shelter is very clean and well kept, and they front desk always keeps the animal treat jar filled.

The other areas of the shelter constantly have activities, volunteer work, or events posted for their customers to get active and participate.

The most enjoyable and hardest part of the job is seeing a pets transformation from not being adoptable, to waving goodbye as it leaves with its new family.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  sharonville, ohMay 28, 2014
This was a volunteer opportunity. I don't have anything bad to say about the experience.
Great environment, and nice people.
Volunteer West Lane Bingo Hall (Current Employee) –  2538 West Ln, Stockton, ca 95205May 10, 2014
Fast work pace, meeting the goal makes me feel good. I learned how to work with difficult customers, also how to be patient. The management is very accommodating as well as my co-workers, it's a fun but professional environment. I would have to say the hardest part of the job would be counting the money and hoping that I don't come up short, which also the most enjoyable because once the money is counted and comes up right it's very satisfying that I can accomplish something without being told exactly what to do.
Pros
customers, breaks, co-workers
Cons
angry customers.
The care of abused and homeless animals
Volunteer SPCA Animal Shelter (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCMay 10, 2014
I love volunteering my time to help the elderly and helpless animals
fun place
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 27, 2014
it wasn't the best place but my job got done along with mopping floors and walking dog I also had to help with adoption advice and also had to catch dogs when they got out of the (low) kennels I washed dog and cats also fed them
Pros
being around animals all day, training for new things
Cons
no order in the place at all
Exciting place to work
Assistant Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLApril 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at the SPCA the common goal was exciting and the general atmosphere keep me on my toes which which is something I prefer.

4.5