SPCA Employee Reviews

One of a kind
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAJanuary 6, 2017
SPCA of Quakertown has a nice training system for volunteers, and they even offer to rehab large animals such as horses. The staff are eager to help you out.
It was a fun place to volunteer at ,I got along with everyone
Volunteer Greeter (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 23, 2016
The SPCA OVERALL WAS a fantastic place to volunteer for, they were very accommodating to my physical needs. I got along with everyone there, And when I was in the hospital, they offered to house my cats at no charge.
I loved this job. Very good place to work at. Excellent service.
Kennel Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 8, 2016
My typical day at work started cleaning out cages to get the work day going and to make sure we were done before we opened up in the mornings. What I learned is to get animals a good home and how to take care of them. Management was very good. My coworkers we got along just great with each other. The hardest part of the job was when some of the animals didn't want to work with you. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting animals adopted and to good homes.
Pros
good customer service
Amazing and fun
Volunteer Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Reno-Stead, NVOctober 20, 2016
Volunteering at the SPCA is both an amazing experience and very sad. I would get attached to dogs and they would be adopted, which was a great thing until they were brought back for ridiculous reasons.
Pros
You got to play and walk puppies and dogs and worked with a great staff.
Cons
Seeing animals dropped for sad or pathetic reasons. Seeing animals returned for ridiculous reasons.
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 17, 2016
Great environment! Everything is very detail oriented. You must pay attention to detail. It is strictly volunteer and well worth the time. I would volunteer more if I could.
Pros
Very organized
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 26, 2016
Cleaning stalls (washing and scrubbing walls and rubber bed), replacing food and water bowls, replacing sheets/blankets/towels, replacing toys, cleaning bowls and toys, and doing laundry. Co-workers were alright although they seem to take a certain disinterest in following rules. Management was also not exactly interested in being friends, but kept quiet for the most part. Hardest part was working around the smell of feces while trying to clean it up; however, the most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the dogs.
Pros
Dogs, Caretaking
Cons
No interaction
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, VAJune 7, 2016
great place to volunteer, wonderful people, good culture, caring people, plenty of opportunity and a chance to fall in love with cats and dogs
Awesome!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 7, 2016
I'm a huge animal lover so this was my dream job! Sadly, I wasn't paid for the work I did, hence, volunteer job. I learned so much while being there.
Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23453February 17, 2016
Volunteer work i did at the SPCA was cleaning kennels, assisted with feeding animals, handling donations.Greeted potential adopters, described the animals behaviors
Pros
take care of animals
Cons
cleaning after animals accidetns
It was okay.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNFebruary 15, 2016
I wish the animals weren't in such poor conditions. Water bowls should be plastic, or stainless steal. Other than a few things, it is a great start to helping all animals that need to find furever homes.
Pros
helping animals in need
Cons
seeing all of the animals scared and confused
Really good workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 27, 2015
SPCA is a really good workplace, I always had something to do and taking care of the animals really motivated me. I always cared for animals especially dogs, so volunteering at SPCA was something I really wanted to do.
productive
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 22, 2015
typical day at work in the SPCA is we open the shelter and start taking care of the animals. I've learned how to spay or neuter any animal, how to properly rehabilitate or socialize an animal who has been abused or abandoned. management was awesome here, they took care of their staff and shelter. My co-workers were always happy and cheery at work. The hardest part of the job is having to euthanize an animal if they can't be saved. The most enjoyable part of the job is once the animals are fully rehabilitated and socialized they are put for adoptions
Pros
animals, free food, awesome workplace
Cons
euthanize animals
Supportive environment
Volunteer Adoption Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FLAugust 30, 2015
Nice people but no room for growth or other opportunities to cross train in other areas. I learned alot about animals in how they are cared for while undergoing treatment. I also learned signs to look for in animals that may mean they are showing early signs of being sick. I also learned about then adoption process and how to best fit a animals personality with the right person or family interested in adopting.
Pros
nice people
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FloridaJune 10, 2015
My typical day was taking care of the animals bathing, cleaning, doing laundry, picking up waste, and dog walks. The best part was caring for the animals.
Pros
Caring
Cons
wished to work there
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLMay 3, 2015
great experience to volunteer for. great people that take their volunteering too serious. the hardest part was getting scratched by the cats. most enjoyable part was enjoying the animals.
good
Volunteer ASPCA animal shelter (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 11, 2015
I had a good experience there. Helping to help and provide for animals was amazing. Many people said it was morning but I don't think it was.
A great fun and learning experience
Volunteer at the SPCA (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day at work would be taking on new task day by day in order to care for the animals. Cleaning and feeding is a part of the everyday tasks. The people are nice because you're around others who have the same love for animals as you. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by so many animals.
Pros
loving animals
Perfect For EVERYONE
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 8, 2014
Animals were great! The people were friendly. You clean, and play with the cute animals! Perfect place to be!
Pros
Got training, got as many breaks as needed, nice people, cute pets
Cons
Absolutely loved volunteering there.
volunteer at the Dublin (Former Employee) –  Dublin, DSeptember 21, 2014
All of the public that would come in were all so friendly. It was sad seeing some of the animals that would come in that were very skinny and left for dead. I am a very big animal person.
Helpful place to work, very fun and comfortable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno caAugust 20, 2014
A typical day would be walking the dogs and feeding them after washing all their bowls and washing their cages. Then we would go and do laundry and make sure everything was prepared for the next 6 hours in which we would have to do it again. Then we would go and do the same for cats. Ive learned that there are a lot of animals in need of help and that although it is hard to take good care of an animal it is very well worth having the love and companionship and animal provides. The hardest part of the day would probably be washing up the cages because overnight they were a little messy. But the most enjoyable part was to get to spend time with all those animals and helped them feel loved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPCA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5