Special Olympics

Special Olympics Employee Reviews in United States

Special Olynmpics is a worldwide organization that is an exciting and rewarding place to work and volunteer
Office Support; Moving (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Special Olympics International.. My role was to help facilitate the consolidation of three floors into two at their downtown Washington, DC location. The work environment was welcoming and pleasant; the entire facilities team was great. My boss was helpful and encouraging. I learned a lot about office furniture assembly and dis-assembly; proper stacking and storage techniques and taking a task from beginning to completion.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the working environment.
Pros
Great work environment and opportunity to be a part of this wonderful organization
Cons
Wish I could have stayed on longer!
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 7, 2016
Volunteering for special Olympics is AWSOME. I got to meet very nice students who were willing to learn a new game. There is really no hard part of the job. The most exciting thing is working with the kids.
Pros
Free Lunch, Meet Excellent Students etc.
Cons
No Breaks
Volunteer
Unified Partner/Coach (Current Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTMay 11, 2016
I volunteer there. I am a unified partner who competes with athlete in tournaments and attends practices twice a week to help athletes. I am not a paid employee here.
Rewarding and fun work environment
Basketball Operations Staging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2015
Fast paced, very busy work environment. Requires flexibility and patience. all of the people associated with the organization from volunteers to executives are focused on the ultimate goals of the organization. By far the most rewarding part of the work done there is seeing the athletes compete.
everybody is nice to me
volunteer coach assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 4, 2016
Everybody that's in Special Olympics are all friends there and I love teaching them how to play basketball, softball and bowling.
A great place to work for!
Assistant Tennis Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 29, 2015
I really enjoyed helping out with the special olympics. There was a great vibe and lots of energy. I loved see the athletes faces when they were participating in the event and receiving their medals. It was a very rewarding job.
Excellent
Fundraising/Events Coordination Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 12, 2012
This is such a great organization to work with. A typical day as an intern would include working towards an event or fundraiser with the two women who run the program. Often times athletes would stop by to say hello and it was a great atmosphere.
Pros
fulfilling work
Great Company
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chestertown, MDAugust 19, 2015
My experience with the Special Olympics taught me compassion for others. I was truly inspired by the people that I met. Highly recommended to others.
Professional, fun and Productive Place
Health and Wellness Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 20, 2015
Good working environment.
Co- workers are really supportive. Great learning environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactive sessions with the Special Olympics athletes.
Great help
Unified Sports Partner (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 21, 2015
Love this job because it didn't feel like a job. Love working with kids and making them feel on top of the world. Co workers were fun and everyone was willing to work and have fun at the same time
My Time with Special Olympics
Coach (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 3, 2015
I learned to work well with people, learning communication skills and patience. These skills that I improved during my time are still used regularly by me.
Pros
Working with People
Cons
A long drive to location
Proactive Organization with great communication
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Southern California, Orange County, CAMay 7, 2012
Love to volunteer for The Special Olympics in the Bowling Conference for Southern California. My duties were to assist the Athletes on when to go up and became as a Bowling Coordinator Volunteer. Made sure the Athletes were aware with bowling policies and giving them a lot of encouragement. The most enjoyable part on volunteering is the smiles, heart, athlete they are to have wonderful talents and lastly the family, friends, coaches, staff, and everyone who volunteers to give this wonderful Athletes encourgement and a good deed. I have been volunteering for The Special Olympics along time. It is in my heart and duty to help volunteer for my whole life.
Pros
free breakfast, goodies, lunch, the smiles of the athletes, cheers, encouragement, the heart of everyone has for everyone, everyone is a winner
Very rewarding place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2015
I volunteered at the 2012 Special Olympics in Los Angeles, CA because they are clients of my father. It was overall one of the best places I have done service work.
very fun experiences
volunteer work (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2013
i am very passionate when it deals with mentally challenge people because some are more worse causes then others and also because they may never experience the things regular individuals do. i like watching their face expressions and excitement in winning or even having fun. The worst part is watching them lose or get upset because they dont have the ability as others and some dont comprehend very well.
Pros
seeing them lose, watching them fail, seeing them get mad
Cons
helping with making individuals happy and feel good about themselfs
Special Olympics
Volunteer/Coach (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLJuly 28, 2012
Running practices, spending time with the team after practices and before games. I learned that it's better to give then receive and the best reward is knowing you did something good from the community. the hardest part of my job would be the season ending and waiting for a new season to begin. The beginning and during the season.
Pros
road trips, different gyms, tournaments
Working with disabled kids
Special Olympics Coach (Current Employee) –  Warrenton, MOFebruary 5, 2013
I volunteer every Wednesday to Coach basketball for Special Olympics. I enjoy going to practice with them and helping them learn new skills and seeing them improve. While Coaching i have learned to have more patience and good verbal skills and being able to mulitast to i can get everything done in the time we have for practice.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
dont get paid
Great Charity
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAJanuary 5, 2015
A really nice charity organization to be a volunteer for. Alot of great times and memories were made.
Pros
kind people
Cons
nothing i am aware of
Fun place to volunteer
Special Olympics Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Johns, MISeptember 21, 2014
Working with the volleyball team for the past 2 years has helped me develop many friendships with the athletes and get to understand developmental disabilities a little bit better.
Pros
working with children and adults in a sports setting
Cons
no job opportunities
Great company to volunteer for, learned a lot from great people.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Granville, OHNovember 7, 2012
• Expressed initiative by organizing fellow Denison athletes to volunteer
• Coordinated and administered multiple swimming and Track & Field events
• Coordinated and administered award ceremonies for swim and Track & Field events
• Organized location of sporting events and after award ceremonies.
Fun Environment
Volunteer Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 13, 2014
This job is all fun. The athletes have a lot of energy and bring a positive attitude to each practice and competition. The fellow coaches are there to have fun and help instill confidence in the athletes, which fosters a positive experience for both parties.

4.8