This position is responsible for performing a variety of social service duties as explained in the Job Description and as may be assigned by supervisor. The position is responsible for managing telephone inquiries concerning the New Vision™ service, screens potential adult patients, assists them with their questions and concerns, and initiates discharge planning.
Essential Functions for Screening and Intake
1. Effectively screening, verifying, and reporting patient information
2. Complete the "Patient Inquiry Sheet", for each telephone inquiry regarding the New Vision™ service, obtaining and verifying all information required, completing the form with the Intake Coordinator’s signature, date and time of call.
3. Verify the type of payor coverage the caller has prior to admission and complete pre-certification if required.
4. Instruct the potential patient to come into the hospital for a screening to determine appropriateness for admission.
Essential Functions for Case Management
1. Effectively obtains and manages all information related to patient payment source to facilitate admission, continued stay and discharge.
2. Verify patient’s current payment source and obtain necessary pre-certification/authorization for admission from payment source.
3. Communicate necessary clinical information daily to payment source to obtain continued stay and notify payment source of discharge date and plan.
Essential Functions for Discharge and Referral
1. Establishing and maintaining plans for patients discharge through working relationships with co-workers, patients, hospital staff, and medical director. Make referrals to community agencies for aftercare treatment.
2. Utilizing available resources immediately establish an aftercare plan specific to the patient’s needs.
3. Begin discharge planning at admission in order to:
a. maintain, support and enhance patient progress in treatment;
b. result in a continuing care plan for the individual that identifies recommended activities, support groups and/or referrals that can support and enhance such patient progress;
c. identify specific and measurable patient involvement in such activities if accountability by the patient is required for case management or any monitoring organization (e.g., circuit courts, offices of probation, office of the Secretary of State, parole officers, employers, etc.); and
d. identify all necessary steps to reinitiate treatment services.
4. Complete a “Consent for Release of Information” form for each separate agency and/or person contacted for referral information.
Education/ Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in related fields such as Human Services,
Credentials: Psychology, Counseling, Substance Abuse, Criminal Justice, Social Work; or LPNs, CNAs, or Certified Counselors. Licensed professionals preferred.
Knowledge: Basic understanding of chemical dependency.
Knowledge of all related computer applications.
Understanding of social services and hospital procedures and policies
Required: Minimum of at least one (l) year of social service experience in a medical field required.
Telephone marketing preferred.
Prior experience with insurance management and or substance abuse population preferred.
Abilities Strong typing and computer application skills.
Ability to assist and support others.
Able to operate telephone, PC, copier, and other basic business machines.
Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather and analyze information skillfully.
Ability to maintain confidentiality, remain open to others’ ideas and exhibit willingness to try new things.
Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
Ability to edit work for spelling and grammar, present numerical data effectively and able to read and interpret written information.
Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, and develop realistic action plans.
Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness and monitor own work to ensure quality.
Able to adapt to changes in the work environment, mange competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, respond to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.