Spectra Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Good 'ole boy environment
Lead Cost Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Galleria location is ideal, depending on demographics of your manager you can take advantage of the work life balance the company offers. Office space is old depending on what floor your on. Cafeteria food is good. A lot of the management team and supervisors have been there for over 30 years. Very limited in leadership diversity. Departments function like indenpendent mom-pop shops. Very clique-ish. Better working relationship with the contractors and newer employees.
Pros
GYM, 9/80, CAFETERIA
Cons
LACK OF DIVERSITY AT EVERY LEVEL OF MANAGEMENT, MANY OLD EMPLOYEES JUST BUYING TIME TO RETIREMENT
Great work life balance culture
HR intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2015
Interned for three months. This is a very family oriented culture. Work life balance is great and things get done through the people. My internship had incredibly high visibility and they give you opportunities to shine. If you impress them they will reward you and you will be seen. The culture allows you to work as hard as you like. If you are incredibly driven you will shine and they will take note of your abilities.
Great place to grow
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2016
During my internship I enjoyed the employees the on site cafeteria and the opportunities for growth. Although I was asked to stay I unfortunately was unable to due to school conflicts.
Procedure Specifications, preparation of procedure qualification records
Hydrostatic Testing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
Assigned to 9 utility Inspectors and 9 welding Inspectors to Oversee the preparation, maintenance, and testing of various quality control standards of utility Procedure Specifications, preparation of procedure qualification records, Subcontractor quality surveys, and final inspection determination by DOT, State and County specifications.
A Variety of jobs. Theres always something new to learn
Executive HR Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
I had many roles in this position. My days were different every day from Executive Assistant to an CEO, in charge of the company newsletter, office build up, Organizational Development training and meetings offsite, Injury and Safety oversee guides
Pros
Meeting new people, travel and different eveyday
Unsupervised, Responsible Position - No Problems or Troubles
Lead Coating and Utility Inspector (Current Employee) –  Tuscola, ILOctober 14, 2015
I have very much appreciated my contract with Spectra Energy.

I am totally on my own. I inspect the coating process done by the contractor and make my detailed reports.

Everyone involved with my phase of the project are"on the same page" and we all work well together to get the job done on time and in accordance with the applicable specifications.
Great, high paying job for bachelors with no attachments.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  HoustonOctober 21, 2015
Direct supervisors and coworkers are great to work with, pay and benefits are great, too. You will spend most of your time on the road and will be expected to work weekends and holidays regularly.
Pros
Great pay, good office environment.
Cons
No work-life balance, 50% travel, Weekend and holiday travel, No overtime, No merit-based raises or promotions.
Facility Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2015
Interesting Job assignment but lack clear communication of procedures to job duties.

Procedure were set in paper but were not complete. Constantly changing procedures verbally.

Department supervisor looks for ways to discredit your lack of understanding and ready to dismiss you for failing to comply to inconsistent procedures
Professional workplace
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 10, 2015
Willing to teach the new employees how to fulfill their task efficiently.
Professional staff makes sure the project done on time.
Giving a chance to employees who would like to learn more task by staying after work.
Pros
comfortable, professional
Excellent place to work.
DATA ANALYST - CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 4, 2015
Spectra is an excellent place to work as it values its employees very much. Its rereshing to see a company that still cares for the people that work for them.
Very good to work for.
Safety and Environmental Inspector (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSOctober 19, 2015
Enjoyed working with Spectra Energy, hope to work for them again. Co-workers and contractor vwet good to work with. Reports are sometimes difficult to prepare, but they are always willing to assist.
Productivity served with cakes, pies, ice cream or cup cakes each month.
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2015
Very fast pace, safety conscious company that desire high tech applications with innovative ideas. Management is supportive to quick thinkers and doers.
Pros
Free parking, exercise facility for small fee.
Cons
Management doors are open but, they're not always available.
great benefits
Corrosion Technician (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 1, 2015
great place to work, people are wonderful to work with, management is good, great pay, exciting place to work, can be very rewarding.
Great gas company
Utility Inspector (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MSJune 24, 2015
Over all Spectra Energy is a great company to work with and was glad to represent them on the last project we have completed together.
Pros
Great projects add history of great people
Cons
Not many i can speak of
House Divided
Planner Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2014
In this company you have 2 project camps.

One is the project managers. They are working to execute projects.

The other is a separate Project Controls group seeks to control vs. support the project managers.

It's a crazy scene. They are loyal to long time employees, some times to a fault. The positive things they try to do end up having the opposite effect.
Pros
cafeteria in building, easy parking
Cons
cramped workspaces for contract workers, misinformation from the project controls group, an effort to confuse new contractors and control project management
mediocre at best
Supply Chain Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2014
In terms of working in the materials procurement group; management is weak. They haven't done a good job forming any type of succession plan. There is a huge gap in employees, which offers some opportunity, but also a lot of frustration. Management tends to treat employees as hourly workers. Promotions are hard to come by. Work load is intense and no one seems to notice. Worst of all is that the company overall doesn't seem to shine a good light on supply chain. It's depressing and gloomy.
Pros
pay is decent, flex fridays
Cons
weak management, weak project managers, cause extra work for everyone
Good Environment
Business Development - Capital Projects Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2013
I developed schedules for $120MM pipeline construction/ maintenance, configuration/ modification, lateral expansions, loops, compressor station construction, capital expense schedules from initiation phase thru final close out/commissioning. Developed & delivered monthly / bi-monthly reports for schedule progress, status, and issues. Analyzed project schedules for activity variances to baseline and duration changes. Monitor total float of project schedules for compliance with program management procedures. Developed resource curves and evaluates contractor resource curves, Provided trending reports as required
Hated it
Slave (Former Employee) –  VancouverAugust 28, 2013
Typical work day - shuffling useless/needless papers around, creating make work projects, basically doing nothing of value. What did I learn? Nothing - well, no, not true, I learned that if you have no personality and are a robot you will do fine there. Co-workers - a joke - I hated everybody. The hardest part of going to my job was walking in the door. There was no enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
six weeks holidays
Cons
the 'manager' of my department had severe mental issues, she was a harsh micromanager, she is crazy and in turns works very hard at making you crazy, i would call this bullying on the job, her sidekick didn't help - watched every move i made.
spectra energy company and co-workers
Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMay 14, 2013
Well Management is ok but they are not around a lot for you to talk to is all. My co-workers are very good people everyone will help the other person to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is being on call 24/7 never a day off. The most enjoyable is doing my job and fixing something back to normal again.
Pros
chirstmas cook outs
Cons
the healthcare is not very good at all
great group of employees
Welding Inspector/Boring Inspector (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, New YorkApril 4, 2015
good working conditions, help with any questions, time off when needed, Spectra employees very good to deal with, safety top concern,