Spectrum Brands Employee Reviews

Spectrum Brands is a great employer
National Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 6, 2016
Great culture, excellent people. I have enjoyed working for Spectrum Brands for over 3+ years now and have enjoyed most everything about it.
Very diverse company with much room for growth
Global Sourcing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 23, 2016
Very friendly co workers who are more than happy to help work together as a team. I wish my position was not temporary but I feel I helped out as best as I could during the time I was there.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Parking can be difficult
This place is rubbish
Production Worker/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILAugust 15, 2016
I worked at the Dixon plant for 5 years. They are 5 years of my life I will never get back. The work itself is not difficult. The management, or mismanagement is the true issue. Favouritism is rampant. There is no job security. The team "leadership" foster a hostile work environment. Turn over is ridiculous. Most employees are decent enough, but the overall stupidity of management has beat so many people down. The human resource department is untrustworthy. It is not a stable place to work. Almost everyone in the outlaying community offers condolences if they find out you work there.
Pros
Relatively easy production job
Cons
Management and human resource people are horrible
Productive Work Place
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 15, 2016
Strong manager and well working team. We work well together and gets the job done. We share information and train each other on areas that are needed to get all members up to the same level. Never seems to have a lone wolf attitude.
Competitive and fast paced working environment.
Laborer/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 31, 2016
A typical day at Spectrum brands warehouse is clocking into work going to your assigned working station begin to pack label stack etc, until the lunch bell sounds. The hardest part is standing for long periods of time and working at a fast pace without pause. Overall a well managed environment for hard working people.
Pros
occasional free lunch. good income.
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Good people and nice co-workers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJuly 27, 2016
Starts off with a head count and then stretches. After stretching we begin work, after first break i usually go over and assist in labeling.
Pros
Free coffee and gatorade
Normal stressful warehouse work
1st Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Daleville, VAJuly 18, 2016
Working at Spectrum Brands Daleville was like any other warehouse job I've had but being a part of the management team just added much more stress to the table. In all honest this company is a good company to work for as long as your management.
Spectrum Brands says they hire from within, but they rarely do
Supply Chain Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 29, 2016
Several very qualified internal employees have applied for internal positions and not been selected to fill the position. Managers continually say they prefer to hire from within, but they do not actually do that. It seems like it is just a good thing to say to attract employees, but they do not follow through with it.
Pros
Employee activities, free popcorn, new building at headquarters
Cons
Do not hire from within, most managment does not listen to the people who actually do the work
Great Company and Culture
Channel Marketing Assistant (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJune 8, 2016
As an intern at Spectrum brands, I really enjoyed learning and contributing to the company. Even though I was in an entry position I felt like I was doing meaningful work in my position.
Outsourcing my department
Temporary Deduction Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 16, 2016
I loved the people I worked with. There isn't enough communication from management to the lower level employees and staff.
No room for advancement
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Fennimore, WIMay 11, 2016
This plant was considerable smaller than the plant I worked at previously. The Utility Job was equivalent to a Lead Operator Job, but not as much responsibilities. Not my ideal job.
Pros
Pay was good for the area.
Cons
It had a Union that did nothing for them, Did not like the hours or shift setup, it was a 45 minute drive one way.
Company has the right ideas
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMay 5, 2016
allow growth in company, is able to give new opportunities to employees.
keep a safe and great culture.

is willing to always hear employees out
Pros
lots of company events
Cons
N/A
New Division of Spectrum Brands
Senior Trainer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 31, 2016
New division is slow to communication with other divisions, making it difficult to accomplish tasks. Management is mediocre at best, needs to clean house of old management.
Poor
Former manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMarch 26, 2016
Management is very selfish, not interested in anyone's success other than their own. Not a place to work if you plan on retiring there, they will let you go when your well deserved salary gets too high.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Good place to start out at
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILMarch 13, 2016
The job is an easy job. The atmosphere is good. It's fairly laid back. It's a good place to start out at if your just getting into the industrial field.
A company still defining itself
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 4, 2016
Spectrum Brands is a multi-billion dollar company, made up of various smaller companies which it has purchased over the last few years. There is an enormous amount of work taking place to quickly consolidate systems and functional areas to realize the financial savings.

For those areas impacted by the consolidation, there is a lack of resources which has led to less than efficient operations of the day to day business. The company still needs to define good work processes and practices and improve overall communication and cross functional operations.

There is a lot of work to be done, a lot of opportunity to learn but there is limited advancement opportunity. There are some questionable practices taking place which highlight lack of controls to insure all components of the company are compliant with all regulations.

Pay and benefits are competitive so is a good stepping stone job.

Hopefully once the dust settles the company will define it's best practices and focus on the work force as well as the profits and weed out some of the undesirables.

With the right leadership the company could be a great place to work.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Company future still being defined
Productive and fun place to work with gym on site free for employees
R&D Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 28, 2016
Fun and good place to work. Good place to learn new technologies. Management is very helpful. Very flexible with hours and timings.
Very good work experience.
Territory Account Manager - HHI (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I sold and serviced hardware to a network of retail stores, distributors, and OEM manufacturers. My manager was demanding, but very fair. Overall, it was a very positive experience.
Just OK
Digital Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Perks- free products, in house cafeteria, Lunch and Learn meetings.

Pay is low and the hours can be long with a high turnover rate.

Learn all you can then run to a bigger and better company.
Pros
free products
Cons
low pay
Its Okay
Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CADecember 25, 2015
They want to be an electronics company but still haven't internalized what that means or how to recruit people from the electronics industry.
Salary and benefits are not up to par with other innovating tech companies. Food options are overpriced on site cafe, bad coffee in the printer room (cups are not provided), No stock options, no cash bonuses, no performance incentives, HR openly touts one of their responsibilities is "Union Prevention"...

They are willing to make sure you have the tools you need, the location is nice, and a couple of the manager will leave you alone to actually work but 60-70% of your time will be spent in meetings.
Pros
It could be worse
Cons
see above