Spectrum Brands Employee Reviews in United States

No room for advancement
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Fennimore, WIMay 11, 2016
This plant was considerable smaller than the plant I worked at previously. The Utility Job was equivalent to a Lead Operator Job, but not as much responsibilities. Not my ideal job.
Pros
Pay was good for the area.
Cons
It had a Union that did nothing for them, Did not like the hours or shift setup, it was a 45 minute drive one way.
Its Okay
Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CADecember 25, 2015
They want to be an electronics company but still haven't internalized what that means or how to recruit people from the electronics industry.
Salary and benefits are not up to par with other innovating tech companies. Food options are overpriced on site cafe, bad coffee in the printer room (cups are not provided), No stock options, no cash bonuses, no performance incentives, HR openly touts one of their responsibilities is "Union Prevention"...

They are willing to make sure you have the tools you need, the location is nice, and a couple of the manager will leave you alone to actually work but 60-70% of your time will be spent in meetings.
Pros
It could be worse
Cons
see above
Great Company and Culture
Channel Marketing Assistant (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJune 8, 2016
As an intern at Spectrum brands, I really enjoyed learning and contributing to the company. Even though I was in an entry position I felt like I was doing meaningful work in my position.
Flexible, fast paced Individualized workplace
Seasonal Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaNovember 30, 2015
Good place to work with opportunities to learn important/marketable skills of the supply-chain and Retail sales industry. Physically demanding, but open ended and schedule friendly work environment; great for college students. Great place to network.
Pros
Work alone, mileage reimbursement, flexible schedule
Cons
Seasonal, hourly cuts near end of season
Poor
Former manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMarch 26, 2016
Management is very selfish, not interested in anyone's success other than their own. Not a place to work if you plan on retiring there, they will let you go when your well deserved salary gets too high.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Company has the right ideas
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMay 5, 2016
allow growth in company, is able to give new opportunities to employees.
keep a safe and great culture.

is willing to always hear employees out
Pros
lots of company events
Cons
N/A
New Division of Spectrum Brands
Senior Trainer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 31, 2016
New division is slow to communication with other divisions, making it difficult to accomplish tasks. Management is mediocre at best, needs to clean house of old management.
Productive and a very fun workplace
Project Management Intern/ Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MONovember 17, 2015
A great balance of work, fun, and social life. Managers and workers are all very easy to talk to and work with. The company is very interested in making sure workers are not only well equipped work, but take a great interest in employees health and life in general.
Confused Management Staff
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WINovember 16, 2015
Management and HR staff seem to be confused, moving around without direction.

To summarize, it seems like many of the Management and HR staff are "faking it until they make it" as a philosophy.

Could be a great place to work down the road.
Pros
Many of the Co-workers were great, Great learning experience
Very good work experience.
Territory Account Manager - HHI (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I sold and serviced hardware to a network of retail stores, distributors, and OEM manufacturers. My manager was demanding, but very fair. Overall, it was a very positive experience.
Just OK
Digital Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Perks- free products, in house cafeteria, Lunch and Learn meetings.

Pay is low and the hours can be long with a high turnover rate.

Learn all you can then run to a bigger and better company.
Pros
free products
Cons
low pay
Good place to start out at
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILMarch 13, 2016
The job is an easy job. The atmosphere is good. It's fairly laid back. It's a good place to start out at if your just getting into the industrial field.
Productive and fun place to work with gym on site free for employees
R&D Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 28, 2016
Fun and good place to work. Good place to learn new technologies. Management is very helpful. Very flexible with hours and timings.
Great place to work as a young professional!
E Commerce Temp (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WISeptember 10, 2015
Nothing but good things to say about this company and the people I worked with. Energy & interest are things I require in my work environment to be as productive as possible as well as produce quality work. Both were in high supply at Spectrum Brands
Pros
great work environment, skilled people, productive collaboration opportunities
Cons
Commute was a bit long (not companies fault)
nice environment
Pick and Pack (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CANovember 4, 2015
overall the warehouse was friendly. the people are very nice and you get the help you need. each day before starting work we performed a warm up exercise to keep us in good shape and to prevent any injuries.
Pros
always busy
Cons
no cell phones allowed in the warehouse
A company still defining itself
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 4, 2016
Spectrum Brands is a multi-billion dollar company, made up of various smaller companies which it has purchased over the last few years. There is an enormous amount of work taking place to quickly consolidate systems and functional areas to realize the financial savings.

For those areas impacted by the consolidation, there is a lack of resources which has led to less than efficient operations of the day to day business. The company still needs to define good work processes and practices and improve overall communication and cross functional operations.

There is a lot of work to be done, a lot of opportunity to learn but there is limited advancement opportunity. There are some questionable practices taking place which highlight lack of controls to insure all components of the company are compliant with all regulations.

Pay and benefits are competitive so is a good stepping stone job.

Hopefully once the dust settles the company will define it's best practices and focus on the work force as well as the profits and weed out some of the undesirables.

With the right leadership the company could be a great place to work.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Company future still being defined
Good job culture
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Mexico, MEOctober 20, 2015
It is a good place to work with great brands.

All people in the office are great persons which you can learn much of each.

It is located in a good area, near malls, gyms, etc.
Pros
Once per month we have a short friday schedule
Cons
No trainnings
Productive and Efficient Facility
Chemical Engineer Intern- Batching (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2015
The plane operated very efficiently and was highly productive. A high value was put on work benefiting production and cost savings.
It was just a seasonal job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 15, 2015
There was no room for advancement. Being how it was a seasonal job and there really wasn't any way I could advance with the company because of district manager. He had so many stores, he needed someone to help him take care and maintain their stores. Although I got paid by the miles also, but the down side was I had to use my own car.
Pros
I was able to start early and get off early
Cons
I was having to use my own vehicle to travel
Great coworkers, overall atmosphere was toxic.
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJune 28, 2015
I worked here for over 6 years. I didn't have a lot of experience in manufacturing, but I learned a lot from the people I worked with. It was great when I started, but everything slowly declined the entire time I was there. After awhile it was made more and more clear by management that they didn't need you and could find someone to replace everyone there. This created a fairly large exodus of a lot of the experienced operators. It's basically a good place to start and learn things that you can use to get paid for somewhere else!
Pros
Coworkers made it fun, occasional free meals
Cons
pay, atmosphere, extremely short breaks