Spectrum Brands Employee Reviews in United States

A company still defining itself
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 4, 2016
Spectrum Brands is a multi-billion dollar company, made up of various smaller companies which it has purchased over the last few years. There is an enormous amount of work taking place to quickly consolidate systems and functional areas to realize the financial savings.

For those areas impacted by the consolidation, there is a lack of resources which has led to less than efficient operations of the day to day business. The company still needs to define good work processes and practices and improve overall communication and cross functional operations.

There is a lot of work to be done, a lot of opportunity to learn but there is limited advancement opportunity. There are some questionable practices taking place which highlight lack of controls to insure all components of the company are compliant with all regulations.

Pay and benefits are competitive so is a good stepping stone job.

Hopefully once the dust settles the company will define it's best practices and focus on the work force as well as the profits and weed out some of the undesirables.

With the right leadership the company could be a great place to work.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Company future still being defined
Its Okay
Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CADecember 25, 2015
They want to be an electronics company but still haven't internalized what that means or how to recruit people from the electronics industry.
Salary and benefits are not up to par with other innovating tech companies. Food options are overpriced on site cafe, bad coffee in the printer room (cups are not provided), No stock options, no cash bonuses, no performance incentives, HR openly touts one of their responsibilities is "Union Prevention"...

They are willing to make sure you have the tools you need, the location is nice, and a couple of the manager will leave you alone to actually work but 60-70% of your time will be spent in meetings.
Pros
It could be worse
Cons
see above
Poor
Former manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMarch 26, 2016
Management is very selfish, not interested in anyone's success other than their own. Not a place to work if you plan on retiring there, they will let you go when your well deserved salary gets too high.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Dynamic company that demands the best of its employees
Product Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJuly 28, 2015
Everyday I hit the ground running. As an analyst for four very different product lines, I had to learn how to differentiate the processes and demands of each product type. Working with international marketing, manufacturing, and distribution was a very important asset. I had excellent co-workers and most often had to juggle the needs of my colleagues simultaneously to make sure that deadlines were met and product launched on time. The amount of documentation and project meetings made the position incredibly busy, but enjoyed being an integral part of several teams. I learned how to be a better team player and to understand how flexibility was an asset to help others to do their job more efficiently. I was able to be a small part of the many layers of this organization from product inception to launch.
Pros
Exciting work environment, very nice co-workers, good compensation/benefits
Cons
Job advancement or moving to another department is very difficult
Spectrum Brands says they hire from within, but they rarely do
Supply Chain Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 29, 2016
Several very qualified internal employees have applied for internal positions and not been selected to fill the position. Managers continually say they prefer to hire from within, but they do not actually do that. It seems like it is just a good thing to say to attract employees, but they do not follow through with it.
Pros
Employee activities, free popcorn, new building at headquarters
Cons
Do not hire from within, most managment does not listen to the people who actually do the work
Great management and fun job
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 8, 2015
Management is very easy to work with, flexible, great benefits, allows you to see more of Florida. Must have reliable transportation since you need to drive your own car to all of your stores.
good paying job.
cathode operator (Current Employee) –  portage, wiAugust 13, 2015
not a bad palce to work, union sucks though. cant get time off unless youve been there for a year. cant even get time off to join the military or your own wedding.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
time off of work. breaks to short.
No room for advancement
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Fennimore, WIMay 11, 2016
This plant was considerable smaller than the plant I worked at previously. The Utility Job was equivalent to a Lead Operator Job, but not as much responsibilities. Not my ideal job.
Pros
Pay was good for the area.
Cons
It had a Union that did nothing for them, Did not like the hours or shift setup, it was a 45 minute drive one way.
New Division of Spectrum Brands
Senior Trainer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 31, 2016
New division is slow to communication with other divisions, making it difficult to accomplish tasks. Management is mediocre at best, needs to clean house of old management.
Great Company and Culture
Channel Marketing Assistant (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJune 8, 2016
As an intern at Spectrum brands, I really enjoyed learning and contributing to the company. Even though I was in an entry position I felt like I was doing meaningful work in my position.
Company has the right ideas
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMay 5, 2016
allow growth in company, is able to give new opportunities to employees.
keep a safe and great culture.

is willing to always hear employees out
Pros
lots of company events
Cons
N/A
Just OK
Digital Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Perks- free products, in house cafeteria, Lunch and Learn meetings.

Pay is low and the hours can be long with a high turnover rate.

Learn all you can then run to a bigger and better company.
Pros
free products
Cons
low pay
Outsourcing my department
Temporary Deduction Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 16, 2016
I loved the people I worked with. There isn't enough communication from management to the lower level employees and staff.
Productive and fun place to work with gym on site free for employees
R&D Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 28, 2016
Fun and good place to work. Good place to learn new technologies. Management is very helpful. Very flexible with hours and timings.
Energetic, Rewarded for hardwork
NPD Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 5, 2012
I have been working at this company for over two months. I am impressed by the management and leadership team for their honest and forward description of their plans and past actions. With them communicating their intentions, employees are motivated to do what is right for the customers and company. People at this company work-hard are competent and responsive to ideas, change and having fun. It makes for an energetic place to work with new challenges everyday. The hardest part of the job is the odd hours where you may be on conference calls with people around the globe. It varies by job position but being able to be flexible is essential.
Pros
culture
Cons
401k match is slightly under average
Not the greatest.....
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJuly 15, 2013
Far from the best job I’ve had, but I’ve had worse. I worked all three shifts over the time I was there, and second shift was by far the best. First shift was okay. On second shift, we had a Great Supervisor, good people working on the lines, and the lead maintenance man was fantastic. I learned a lot from him. Third shift was horrible. The lead person over everybody is a drama queen. Absolutely impossible to work with. I would literally have to be starving to work third shift there again.

Starting pay is low for a skilled trade / skilled craft maintenance position. They have opportunities for training / education to advance in pay, but when I inquired about it, I was told it was being reworked and wasn’t available. So I worked there for just over a year with only one small raise. Normally after a year a maintenance man could be making fair money, but no chance for that. No one in management seemed to care about no pay advancement being available. They kept telling me next month, next month. After 6 or 8 months, I gave up.
Pros
none really.
Cons
third shift lead person.
The financial compensation is very good.
Expeditor (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOApril 24, 2012
A day at Spectrum Brands typically starts with contacting a lot of companies who you gain a relationship with on a day to day basis. The good thing is that you have the same contact people on a regular. I learned the ends and outs of the company dealing with home & garden products. The management is typically uptight because they have quotas or deadlines to reach. They are hard working....which is a good thing but can put a lot of strain on their employees. The hardest part of the job was to deal with a plate full of work with no assistance. The enjoyable part of the job was working with friendly people that felt like family.
Pros
company food days with raffle gifts
Cons
no benefits if you were a contract worker
Good place to start out at
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILMarch 13, 2016
The job is an easy job. The atmosphere is good. It's fairly laid back. It's a good place to start out at if your just getting into the industrial field.
Flexible, fast paced Individualized workplace
Seasonal Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaNovember 30, 2015
Good place to work with opportunities to learn important/marketable skills of the supply-chain and Retail sales industry. Physically demanding, but open ended and schedule friendly work environment; great for college students. Great place to network.
Pros
Work alone, mileage reimbursement, flexible schedule
Cons
Seasonal, hourly cuts near end of season
Confused Management Staff
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WINovember 16, 2015
Management and HR staff seem to be confused, moving around without direction.

To summarize, it seems like many of the Management and HR staff are "faking it until they make it" as a philosophy.

Could be a great place to work down the road.
Pros
Many of the Co-workers were great, Great learning experience