Spectrum Community Services Employee Reviews in United States

Mandatory long hours regardless if your shift was over and a baby at home
Direct Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJune 8, 2016
The job consist of daily living activities such as distribution of medication,preparing food, assist with laundry,setting appointments, and transporting client to various outings.
Great place to work!!
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIJune 16, 2016
The best management team with wonderful support. The company truly cares about it's employees.
They care about the people they serve as well as their employees.
Pros
great management, good benefits
Cons
not the best wages
Worked with people with developmental disabilities, assisted with daily living activities. Enjoyed taking them out on community outings.
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Niles, MINovember 29, 2015
Good company to work for, became a bit of a problem when the supervisor and the house manager decided to change work schedules around to shifts that were difficult for us to work as they conflicted with school, children and other obligations. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the individuals with their daily lives, taking them shopping and going to parties with them seeing their eyes light up.
Pros
Variety of duties didn't get bored
Cons
No real breaks or lunch times, everything we did we did with the individuals.
Lack of Structure
Senior Direct Support Professional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 5, 2015
I came to the company ready to complete my job and go home. After three months I became a supervisor boy was I in for a surprise. The staff have no respect for the Supervisors. I always got stuck doing unexpected shifts and always had to re alter my life. I only made 1.00 more than a Direct Support Professional. The turn over rate was very high. A one of the consumers family was very involved and acted as if they ran the company.
Pros
Room for advancement, Crazy overtime
Cons
Disrespectful staff
Friendly helpful challenging place to work.
Medical Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 15, 2015
Very challenging but rewarding place to work. I learned a lot. Very professional when it comes to training employees. I found the mandatory long hours were challenging. Being there for the clients was most rewarding for me.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Mandatory long hours
Fun and productive Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 16, 2015
Spectrum Community Services is a non-profit organization that provides numerous services within the community. I had the pleasure of working within one of the programs designed for senior citizens which was the fall prevention program. The program was a program that taught the risks of falls and how they can be prevented. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is engaging with participants and getting to know them on a personal level. Gave me the opportunity to utilize some basic casemanagement skills that I learned while in school.
Pros
Near my residence
Cons
Laid back but enjoyable job
Health Care Lead/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 28, 2015
Taking care of individuals that don't have the ability to meet their daily needs by themselves. Show love and support to each individual and give them your attention.
Overall rating is excellent.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 24, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent environment, wonderful coworkers, and supervisory management. Everyone works together as a team. Heartwarming to serve our consumers. I have learned and grown in this great challenging and caring environment.
collage custodian
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockford, MIJuly 6, 2015
cleaned bathrooms. cleaned and vacuumed the classrooms. took out trash and scrubbed floors. worked mostly alone. no benefits with low pay.
fun place to work, limited upward mobility
Group exercise instructor (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 19, 2014
I enjoy the day to day operations of the job and the clients I get to help. my coworkers are hard working people who still enjoy their jobs, which helps keep morale and overall job satisfaction high. the hardest park of the job is traveling to different locations in heavy traffic. the most enjoyable part of the job seeing the results of the participants we work with on a daily basis. management is good, hard to read sometimes, but no problems with anyone and I don't foresee any in the near future.
Pros
great place to work with awesome coworkers.
Cons
advancement opportunities not really available.
Fantastic Program for Clients, Rough on Employees
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 9, 2014
Spectrum is a fantastic environment for clients to grow and learn. However, it is a company that does not have high value for it's employees. My coworkers were all fantastic, energetic people with a passion for this field. There is an incredible turnover rate though, keeping routine and goals succinct suffers.

It was a great introduction to this field. I was able to absorb and abundance of knowledge and skills. A great stepping stone on one's path through this career choice.
Pros
happy coworkers, abundance of challenges, and an ever changing environment.
Cons
poor pay, little to no room to move upwards, and little support from managing staff.
compelling place to wotk
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIAugust 28, 2014
A typical day lasts eight hours. During that time you will be assisting individuals with daily living skills. This includes bathing dressing cooking and travel wherever they may have to go. Most of the time you may leave at scheduled time. However if your relief doesn't come in you will be required to stay. This will gaurentee eight hours overtime. What I have learned is patience. You will need a lot of this in this field. I also learned to be prepared. You never know when you will be stuck on shift. The management is okay depending which site you are at. Most of the co workers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is when you are unexpectedly stuck on a sixteen hour shift and you cant leave the site to get something to eat.
Pros
participating with the individual
Cons
unexpeced over time
The company is the worst
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Westland, MISeptember 22, 2012
The people at this company starting with the co-workers everybody wants to be the boss but don't no one wants to take reponsiblety . Then the supervisor play favoritism and try to turn co- workers into enemies which is wrong. Overall I believe this company can do better. Of u have positive people in a environment you will have peace and everybody will be relax and calm. Always the things they want us to do we should be getting paid more money.
Pros
the residents are friendly
Cons
the pay
The people make the job
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 8, 2015
Had a great relationship with the people I worked with. I helped set up all the human resource processes and payroll, and worked a lot of hours to start. I would like to see how the company has advanced.
enjoyable consumers
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIJanuary 23, 2013
I enjoyed working with the consumers. Every day I was responsible for providing care to mentally disabled consumers.

I learned alot about working with this population as far as what to do and what not to do.

My co-workers were great and so was management.

The hardest part of the job was that it did not pay well.

The easiest part of the job was that it was fun to work with the consumers.
Pros
loved working with the consumers
Cons
low paying job
Assisting those in need of care
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 27, 2013
Facing the day to day challenges in a days work is the point of my job. Applying my knowledge to help others is the reason for my growth. Understanding the different attitudes in the work place is something I have learned to deal with along the way.
Pros
holiday celebrations with the individuals in need
Cons
the death of someone i took care of at work
I enjoyed working with the company. Staff was friendly
Supervision Provider (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 23, 2012
This was a part time position. I worked with a child with special needs. I looked after him when needed and made sure he was safe. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the child and knowing his mom was getting a much needed break with the comfort of her child being in good hands.
Pros
great pay
I enjoyed the co. very much,when i lost my job it was out of my control due to budget cuts between spectrum comm. services,and comm. mental health, 3w
livingston county health manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2012
My job was very stressfull,but very challenging,also eventful,never a dull moment.I would sometimes be down in howell for 24-35hrs. at a time, i enjoyed my position,i enjoyed my work, theres not a day that goes by that i wish i still worked in livingston county, i actually thought i would work there the rest of my career days,and retire from there, the hardest parts of the day were STAFF of course,the calling in,being late,and so on because most of the properties were 24/7 care needed with staff to be there 24/7, that made it difficult at times because i had to make sure everything was covered or i had to cover for it myself.
Pros
outings with residents
Cons
short staff, conflict between residents, and some staff members.
Heavy Demands
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lehighton, PAJune 30, 2014
I worked here for almost a year - the job was presented to me one way yet when I started it turned out to be something entirely different. A lot of evening work and a heavy case load for just one person. Very little training so it was very helpful that I had previous experience in the field. I kind of learned as I went along.
Effective and professional.
Direct Support Staff/ CLS (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Excellent staff and families. Safe and clean work environment. Flexible work weeks. Efficient training and orientation. Very high standards of certification.

Spectrum Community Services Reviews by Location