Spectrum Community Services Employee Reviews

Working with the clients was very rewarding
Residential Med Lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 12, 2017
Management needs improvement otherwise a fairly ok company to work fot. Knowing that I made each client felt like they had a meaning for existing at the end of my shift was rewarding
Fun workplace
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job of Direct Supports Staff is seeing individuals' lives enhanced and improved as a direct result of the work we do, which is a very rewarding experience.
Good Place to work
Adult Foster Care Specialist Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIOctober 20, 2017
Low pay for area, not much for advancement. Job can be stressful depending on what type of Adult Foster Care needed. Some homes are self-sufficient... Been working 3+ years and making what people are currently being hired in at. Raises do not come as promised when hired.

Benefits are good not alot taken out of your check for Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance for full time employees. Training is excellent for this type of field, so if you have no experience in dealing with the mentally challenged, they will train you to do your job and do it well.

All in all is a good job if you like working with people with disabilities and don't mind starting at min. wage even with experience and waiting on raises once you are hired in.
Pros
Great Training, Benefits, Personal Leave accumulation
Cons
Low pay, Advancement
phone
CCR (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 6, 2017
on the phone non stop - billing call center, dont feel appreciated and advancement is knowing the right people. Dont feel supported like I did in sales. Very stressfull and hard to meet matrix
benefits
Cons
no support
Intend of the program is good
There are other programs as senior meal (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CASeptember 20, 2017
HEAP program is well set to help low income family. Many people in Bay area are familiar with what this program offered for many years. Outreach to the local community are sufficient.
Relaxed productive workplace.
Direct support staff (Current Employee) –  Westland, MISeptember 11, 2017
Spectrum is a good place for anyone who is looking to make a difference in peoples lives. It can be a relaxed setting or a faster paced setting. Good team work.
Rewarding in regards to the people we serve. (Clients)
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIAugust 31, 2017
It's in home health care. You pass their meds, keep up with their financials as well as the houses, go grocery shopping, take clients to appointments, prep and serve lunch, deal with a multitude of personalities, that conflict sometimes. Do all cleaning, which you may get one or two to help with, get dinner ready, etc. There are a FEW books that have to be documented in, properly- which some have issues doing, and are extremely repetitive.
Pros
The people we serve are impacted by us, the employees. Seeing improvement is very rewarding.
Cons
Cadiness between staff is ridiculous. Some management don't care about their employees at all. Sad.
Horrible!Hostile!
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 30, 2017
I was very excited about starting a new chapter in my book here. Day one.....total hostile environment. Then racial bullying? Take that to management....ha! Less than a month....no way!
Hands on work environment
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Manistee, MIAugust 26, 2017
I LOVED this job! Typical day at work was taking care of 4 gentlemen, assisting with their daily lives, outings, doctors appointments, feedings and medication passing. I learned a lot from this job, it gave me my biggest insight into the medical career. Management was decent but, I came to work for the clients, not anyone else. If I lived closer, I'd go back to work there. Everyday was a learning experience.
Pros
Learning new things daily.
Cons
Not enough people have the same compassion you do.
Love Clients
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIAugust 24, 2017
I enjoy working with my clients but the pay is very low and they do not want to give raises. You never know if you are going to get stuck at work. Some of the workers are care free and do not come to work all the time. I get to work count then pass meds, do laundry cook take people to appointments, and clean.
Pros
the clients
Cons
the wages and lack of team work
fun and caring work place
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Sparta, MIAugust 24, 2017
Its all about the consumers and not the staff. Underpaid staff and no consequences for poor staff (excessive call ins and no shows. You still keep your job)
Pros
free meal
Cons
no smoking on property and no breakes if you're a non smoker
Reasonable with very low pay
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 4, 2017
I found my job very reasonable but with very little pay. Having to work very strictly for long hours with nothing really to bring home. The management communication was very unprofessional but as a worker who needs ends to be met, I only hoped they would get that together. I loved my clients and being there for them. I love working with all kinds if people. I thought the job description could have specified my position with explaining me having to change my clients. That is something I would like to avoid if possible. Other than those things listed. I love working
Pros
Free Time
Cons
health care, Low pay
Great work environment
Fall Prevention Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 3, 2017
A great place to work as it is a community based organization that makes a difference in people's lives. Management and staff are friendly, hard working, and has good direction for helping people in the community. The Fall Prevention Program truly has passionate, energetic, knowledgeable, and qualified staff.
Team oriented management group makes you feel like aq part of something bigger.
Program Manager/Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 5, 2017
You will need to wear many different hats to work with people with disabilities. At Spectrum every day was different. Besides overseeing all care provided to these people. you will need to help them better interact in the community. This can be very rewarding.
Pros
Open door policy with management team allows all to best resolve all problems
Cons
Not many opportunities to get time of as shortness of staff, and client obligations preclude.
Fun
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Comstock Park, MIJune 4, 2017
Very rewarding job, but difficult. Lot of driving everyday. Poor management. Very rude and choose favorites and it shows. Getting days off is usually not a problem, but can be an issue.
service
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Lehighton, PAMay 23, 2017
Clients are great to work with. Staff are great too. Not the greatest hours if you have a family. Learning a lot about myself at this job. Pay is low hours are long.
Spectrum
DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 17, 2017
I was a caretaker type of companion for mentally handicapped patients. The job itself was the most rewarding job I have ever had. I would take my patients to the library then to any other place that they desired, or needed to visit to run errands.
Could be a great place without drama.
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lake City, MIMay 9, 2017
I like working with the residents although at times they are highly aggressive. The hours are overwhelming a time there is no consistency with the schedule. Management is something to be desired.
Pros
The residents
Cons
management
direct care support
Liaison Linguistics (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 26, 2017
• Assisted in planning- programs, and recreational activities for residents with disabilities in adult foster care setting.
• Provided direct care support to residents including activities of daily living.
• Participated in resident occupation activities including community outings.
• Administered medications, facilitated transportation to doctors’ appointments, prepare meals, and documented of activities.
• Advocated, and participated in team conferences with parents/ legal guardians, and Social Workers assigned to residents
Temp Agency
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Sand Lake, MIFebruary 13, 2017
For being a Temp Agency they were quick to place me at a location out of my travel range and gave me hassle for trying to get changed to a closer location.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9