Spectrum Community Services Employee Reviews

Great place to work!!
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIJune 16, 2016
The best management team with wonderful support. The company truly cares about it's employees.
They care about the people they serve as well as their employees.
Pros
great management, good benefits
Cons
not the best wages
Stressful, hard to keep positive
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 13, 2016
I worked there for 6months, clients are amazing, but staff and management sucks. Management basically in my opinion favored some staff over others, the staff not favored got the short end of the stick.
Pros
Clients
Opportunity
DSS Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 21, 2016
I loved this job, I met new people , the company was a work together company . The homes would interact with other homes. I liked it because it was kinda personal for me and another worker to be in charge it makes you feel even more dependent but now your a representative for this home but also the company in our outside of the home. You grew a professional and friendly bond with the consumers and learned a lot about them.
Pros
good peers, and good money
Cons
judgement
Temp Agency
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Sand Lake, MIFebruary 13, 2017
For being a Temp Agency they were quick to place me at a location out of my travel range and gave me hassle for trying to get changed to a closer location.
Not helpful to the community
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 7, 2016
Frustrating, and you have to watch your back, not professional and needs to be redone. I'm at a lack of words for the disrespect and underappreciation staff get through this employer.
Mandatory long hours regardless if your shift was over and a baby at home
Direct Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJune 8, 2016
The job consist of daily living activities such as distribution of medication,preparing food, assist with laundry,setting appointments, and transporting client to various outings.
collage custodian
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockford, MIJuly 6, 2015
cleaned bathrooms. cleaned and vacuumed the classrooms. took out trash and scrubbed floors. worked mostly alone. no benefits with low pay.
Worked with people with developmental disabilities, assisted with daily living activities. Enjoyed taking them out on community outings.
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Niles, MINovember 29, 2015
Good company to work for, became a bit of a problem when the supervisor and the house manager decided to change work schedules around to shifts that were difficult for us to work as they conflicted with school, children and other obligations. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the individuals with their daily lives, taking them shopping and going to parties with them seeing their eyes light up.
Pros
Variety of duties didn't get bored
Cons
No real breaks or lunch times, everything we did we did with the individuals.
fun place to work, limited upward mobility
Group exercise instructor (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 19, 2014
I enjoy the day to day operations of the job and the clients I get to help. my coworkers are hard working people who still enjoy their jobs, which helps keep morale and overall job satisfaction high. the hardest park of the job is traveling to different locations in heavy traffic. the most enjoyable part of the job seeing the results of the participants we work with on a daily basis. management is good, hard to read sometimes, but no problems with anyone and I don't foresee any in the near future.
Pros
great place to work with awesome coworkers.
Cons
advancement opportunities not really available.
Lack of Structure
Senior Direct Support Professional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 5, 2015
I came to the company ready to complete my job and go home. After three months I became a supervisor boy was I in for a surprise. The staff have no respect for the Supervisors. I always got stuck doing unexpected shifts and always had to re alter my life. I only made 1.00 more than a Direct Support Professional. The turn over rate was very high. A one of the consumers family was very involved and acted as if they ran the company.
Pros
Room for advancement, Crazy overtime
Cons
Disrespectful staff
Friendly helpful challenging place to work.
Medical Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 15, 2015
Very challenging but rewarding place to work. I learned a lot. Very professional when it comes to training employees. I found the mandatory long hours were challenging. Being there for the clients was most rewarding for me.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Mandatory long hours
I enjoyed the co. very much,when i lost my job it was out of my control due to budget cuts between spectrum comm. services,and comm. mental health, 3w
livingston county health manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2012
My job was very stressfull,but very challenging,also eventful,never a dull moment.I would sometimes be down in howell for 24-35hrs. at a time, i enjoyed my position,i enjoyed my work, theres not a day that goes by that i wish i still worked in livingston county, i actually thought i would work there the rest of my career days,and retire from there, the hardest parts of the day were STAFF of course,the calling in,being late,and so on because most of the properties were 24/7 care needed with staff to be there 24/7, that made it difficult at times because i had to make sure everything was covered or i had to cover for it myself.
Pros
outings with residents
Cons
short staff, conflict between residents, and some staff members.
Fun and productive Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 16, 2015
Spectrum Community Services is a non-profit organization that provides numerous services within the community. I had the pleasure of working within one of the programs designed for senior citizens which was the fall prevention program. The program was a program that taught the risks of falls and how they can be prevented. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is engaging with participants and getting to know them on a personal level. Gave me the opportunity to utilize some basic casemanagement skills that I learned while in school.
Pros
Near my residence
compelling place to wotk
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIAugust 28, 2014
A typical day lasts eight hours. During that time you will be assisting individuals with daily living skills. This includes bathing dressing cooking and travel wherever they may have to go. Most of the time you may leave at scheduled time. However if your relief doesn't come in you will be required to stay. This will gaurentee eight hours overtime. What I have learned is patience. You will need a lot of this in this field. I also learned to be prepared. You never know when you will be stuck on shift. The management is okay depending which site you are at. Most of the co workers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is when you are unexpectedly stuck on a sixteen hour shift and you cant leave the site to get something to eat.
Pros
participating with the individual
Cons
unexpeced over time
Fantastic Program for Clients, Rough on Employees
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 9, 2014
Spectrum is a fantastic environment for clients to grow and learn. However, it is a company that does not have high value for it's employees. My coworkers were all fantastic, energetic people with a passion for this field. There is an incredible turnover rate though, keeping routine and goals succinct suffers.

It was a great introduction to this field. I was able to absorb and abundance of knowledge and skills. A great stepping stone on one's path through this career choice.
Pros
Happy coworkers, abundance of challenges, and an ever changing environment.
Cons
Poor pay, little to no room to move upwards, and little support from managing staff.
Supportive work environment
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 4, 2013
A typical day at work consists of managing paperwork and prioritizing tasks that come up each day and sometimes managing a crisis. Most days include at least one client contact. I have learned a lot about people with Axis 1 and Axis 2 diagnoses and the community supports and services out there to assist individuals based on their needs and desires. My co-workers are great and we have a strong supportive team environment. Management allows you to work independently as long you meet your deadlines and requirements. They are not at all about micromanaging. The hardest part about the job is keeping up with all the paperwork and the constant change of services, eligibility requirements and the process to get a client involved in a service. The best part of the job is not having to be in the office all the time and spending time with the clients in the community.
Pros
Potential to earn a ton of vacation
Cons
More time spent doing paperwork than spending time with the clients
Help Metal Health Individuals
Supervisor of Residential Services (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 13, 2013
*worked with mental health individuals live a normal life
*co-works were great
*management fun to work with
Pros
helping people
enjoyable consumers
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIJanuary 23, 2013
I enjoyed working with the consumers. Every day I was responsible for providing care to mentally disabled consumers.

I learned alot about working with this population as far as what to do and what not to do.

My co-workers were great and so was management.

The hardest part of the job was that it did not pay well.

The easiest part of the job was that it was fun to work with the consumers.
Pros
loved working with the consumers
Cons
low paying job
Overall rating is excellent.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 24, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent environment, wonderful coworkers, and supervisory management. Everyone works together as a team. Heartwarming to serve our consumers. I have learned and grown in this great challenging and caring environment.
The company is the worst
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Westland, MISeptember 22, 2012
The people at this company starting with the co-workers everybody wants to be the boss but don't no one wants to take reponsiblety . Then the supervisor play favoritism and try to turn co- workers into enemies which is wrong. Overall I believe this company can do better. Of u have positive people in a environment you will have peace and everybody will be relax and calm. Always the things they want us to do we should be getting paid more money.
Pros
the residents are friendly
Cons
the pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9