Spectrum Community Services Employee Reviews

Friendly helpful challenging place to work.
Medical Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 15, 2015
Very challenging but rewarding place to work. I learned a lot. Very professional when it comes to training employees. I found the mandatory long hours were challenging. Being there for the clients was most rewarding for me.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Mandatory long hours
Lack of Structure
Senior Direct Support Professional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 5, 2015
I came to the company ready to complete my job and go home. After three months I became a supervisor boy was I in for a surprise. The staff have no respect for the Supervisors. I always got stuck doing unexpected shifts and always had to re alter my life. I only made 1.00 more than a Direct Support Professional. The turn over rate was very high. A one of the consumers family was very involved and acted as if they ran the company.
Pros
Room for advancement, Crazy overtime
Cons
Disrespectful staff
collage custodian
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockford, MIJuly 6, 2015
cleaned bathrooms. cleaned and vacuumed the classrooms. took out trash and scrubbed floors. worked mostly alone. no benefits with low pay.
Laid back but enjoyable job
Health Care Lead/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 28, 2015
Taking care of individuals that don't have the ability to meet their daily needs by themselves. Show love and support to each individual and give them your attention.
Fun and productive Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 16, 2015
Spectrum Community Services is a non-profit organization that provides numerous services within the community. I had the pleasure of working within one of the programs designed for senior citizens which was the fall prevention program. The program was a program that taught the risks of falls and how they can be prevented. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is engaging with participants and getting to know them on a personal level. Gave me the opportunity to utilize some basic casemanagement skills that I learned while in school.
Pros
Near my residence
Cons
Overall rating is excellent.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 24, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent environment, wonderful coworkers, and supervisory management. Everyone works together as a team. Heartwarming to serve our consumers. I have learned and grown in this great challenging and caring environment.
The people make the job
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 8, 2015
Had a great relationship with the people I worked with. I helped set up all the human resource processes and payroll, and worked a lot of hours to start. I would like to see how the company has advanced.
Effective and professional.
Direct Support Staff/ CLS (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Excellent staff and families. Safe and clean work environment. Flexible work weeks. Efficient training and orientation. Very high standards of certification.
fun place to work, limited upward mobility
Group exercise instructor (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 19, 2014
I enjoy the day to day operations of the job and the clients I get to help. my coworkers are hard working people who still enjoy their jobs, which helps keep morale and overall job satisfaction high. the hardest park of the job is traveling to different locations in heavy traffic. the most enjoyable part of the job seeing the results of the participants we work with on a daily basis. management is good, hard to read sometimes, but no problems with anyone and I don't foresee any in the near future.
Pros
great place to work with awesome coworkers.
Cons
advancement opportunities not really available.
Fantastic Program for Clients, Rough on Employees
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 9, 2014
Spectrum is a fantastic environment for clients to grow and learn. However, it is a company that does not have high value for it's employees. My coworkers were all fantastic, energetic people with a passion for this field. There is an incredible turnover rate though, keeping routine and goals succinct suffers.

It was a great introduction to this field. I was able to absorb and abundance of knowledge and skills. A great stepping stone on one's path through this career choice.
Pros
happy coworkers, abundance of challenges, and an ever changing environment.
Cons
poor pay, little to no room to move upwards, and little support from managing staff.
Ensuring my client gets daily help
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  whitmore lake, miSeptember 8, 2014
helping to make meals, clothe and giving client the required medication
Pros
helping others
compelling place to wotk
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIAugust 28, 2014
A typical day lasts eight hours. During that time you will be assisting individuals with daily living skills. This includes bathing dressing cooking and travel wherever they may have to go. Most of the time you may leave at scheduled time. However if your relief doesn't come in you will be required to stay. This will gaurentee eight hours overtime. What I have learned is patience. You will need a lot of this in this field. I also learned to be prepared. You never know when you will be stuck on shift. The management is okay depending which site you are at. Most of the co workers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is when you are unexpectedly stuck on a sixteen hour shift and you cant leave the site to get something to eat.
Pros
participating with the individual
Cons
unexpeced over time
Health Field
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIAugust 6, 2014
Performed health-care related tasks, such as monitoring vital signs and medication, under the direction of registered nurses and physiotherapists.
Transported clients to locations outside the home, such as to physicians' offices and on outings, using a motor vehicle.
Loved it
Supervision Provider (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 9, 2014
Only was with them a short time. Worked outside of the place, but when i was there they were very friendly.
Heavy Demands
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lehighton, PAJune 30, 2014
I worked here for almost a year - the job was presented to me one way yet when I started it turned out to be something entirely different. A lot of evening work and a heavy case load for just one person. Very little training so it was very helpful that I had previous experience in the field. I kind of learned as I went along.
Life enriching job
Direct Staff (Former Employee) –  Rockford MiJune 29, 2014
This job was now only rewarding but also humbling. I help consumers daily with showering, feeding them, and doing everyday things.
I enjoyed helping Individuals I served how to reach their goals which were reducing emergency room, and maintaining optimum quality of life.
Direct Care Support (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 25, 2014
Managers reply promptly with updates notifications compliments and concerns.
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 7, 2014
Managers reply promptly with updates notifications compliments and concerns.
An awesome place to work!! LOVED IT
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Rockford, MIMarch 17, 2014
I loved working with the people I worked with. Great experience and Im sad that I had to leave. I loved everything about the company and my boss was great!!!
Pros
everything was great!!!
Cons
i had to leave...
very demanding of your personal time
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitmore Lake, MIFebruary 13, 2014
A good comapany but certain positions are very demanding of your time