Spectrum for Living Employee Reviews

The pay... OMG.
LPN (Former Employee) –  njJanuary 7, 2018
The pay absolutely stinks. I need it for the benefits which smells even worse. They add more and more onto your plate every day. And no chance for a raise...
Pros
Clients and some staff.
Cons
$$$ and benefits... Guaranteed a headache with some of the co-workers..
great place
Activity Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ringwood, NJDecember 20, 2017
It's a great place to work if you love helping people. The work environment is very fast paced and on a time basis. You have to love to help and encourage people who cant do for their selves, and be happy with it.
I enjoyed the patients
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, NJOctober 2, 2017
helping and assisting with developmental disabled with ADL appointments, arts, crafts, light house keeping, food shopping basic supervision for much independence as possible
Pros
helping the clients
Cons
disorganization and confussion
Need new management
Activity therapist assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 18, 2017
I enjoyed working with the participants and helping to reach goals. However the management was poor and in result several employments left and went to other companies.
I was happy when I was able to help the patients in the facility.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, NJSeptember 13, 2017
Working with the other staff was interesting and I enjoy being able to participate in helping and Taking care of the clients.. when the day was over it was a pleasure to know that we were able to help care for the clients..
Pros
Time off when is necessary
Fun and relaxed place to work
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 9, 2017
Staff is great. Love my clients and staff in my room. If you do not have a heart don't bother to apply. You get to cook and taste foods from other cultures.we exercise and do fun trips
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Driving vans
Upper Management Out of Touch
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  River Vale, NJAugust 17, 2017
They do not care about their employees.Upper management is running this agency into the ground.They will change your hours at their whim not caring at all about work-life balance or the 2nd job you need since the pay is so poor.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
no raises in last 10 years
fair and balanced with caring people
Respite Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rivervale, NJAugust 4, 2017
Spectrum helps so many people in the community and do need more funding. People work there because they care, not for the money. My position. Could have been utilized in a more productive way though
Pros
relaxed, caring people, nice parties
Cons
too much time on hands, low pay
Low Pay Great Clients
Direct Care Counselor/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJuly 14, 2017
I love my clients they are the best, I will truly miss them once i advance my career i have grown to care for each and every one of them, other than that the pay is very low for the work we do.
decent company to work for , veray rewarding
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wall, NJJuly 3, 2017
work with the DDD population, very rewarding, gain caring relationship for residents. Close working environment with other staff which at time can be dificult
Direct Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Closter, NJMay 17, 2017
If you have a passion for helping people with developmental disabilities, Spectrum offers very good experience, valuable trainings, and benefits. I have worked at Spectrum for many years, on and off since the 90's. Your experience varies depending on where you work, ie group home, supervised apartments, or closter care faciility (ICF). The ICF is very challenging because the clients are more medically and physically involved. Employees are very nice and work together as a team. The clients are beautiful and appreciate your help. The directors and supporting staff are helpful and available. The biggest problem is the pay which could only be afforded by those with a second income. This is may main reason for leaving. I would never be able to support myself with this job unless I worked an additional full-time job. Not happening! So I went back to school,
Pros
Job is rewarding, good benefits, Hours are Ok if you don't have to work every weekend, staff works together
Cons
You may earn more at McDonalds
Not the best of places
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJMay 17, 2017
everything here is cookie cutter, no room for using your vision or individuality. The clients are great but the management is terrible! good luck finding a director when you need them they are off hiding at a store or appointment.

If you are desperate for a job it is good as temp long term there is no room for advancing, pay is average.
Pros
its a job
Cons
lack of listening for better ideas
Productive and helpful woking place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJMay 15, 2017
A typical day would consists of participating and helping individuals with disabilities in everyday functions and task. I learned things such as being patient and how to adhere to different preferences and wants/needs of people.
Room for improvment but also productive
Direct Care Councilor (Current Employee) –  Howell, NJApril 3, 2017
The job has been great over the past three years, but staff has seem to shuffle around from month to month. Lots of pressure is being put on the staff due to employees quitting and being let go.
Clients are wonderful once they get used to you they will love you unconditionally.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Maywood, NJMarch 1, 2017
Worst company ever. They treat staff very bad, mess up your checks and award the staff who was with company longer more than the ones who gets the job done. You learn one thing at training and once you start it seems like it all gets thrown out the window.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Treats staff terrible, very unorganized, lack of team work
Great work place working with clients
Activity Therapist (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJFebruary 26, 2017
It's great working with the clienting doing craft, socialist, cook with them and also go out in the community. We go on day trip and go to other work shop
Pros
Free lunches once a week
Cons
30 minutes break
typical day
Activity Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ringwood, NJFebruary 2, 2017
Typical day at ringwood atc is pretty hectic but the job gets done. The co - workers are a joy to be around. Meredith cann is an awesome manager anything you need she is always there to help.
My typical day.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Northvale, NJJanuary 21, 2017
I am on call 24 hrs
The first thing i review are the critical logs from the previous shift
I Check and respond to all emails.
I ensure all the scheduled medical appointment for the residents for that day are setup up and conducted.
I do finance and pay bills for residents.
I ensure any evening recreation events posted for residents are attended.
Each resident has an IHP goal and i help them reach it, as well as complete all monthly report on their progress.
I make sure i have the required staff on shift for all the residents..
The nicest part of my job is my interaction with residents and the feeling i get from helping them.
The hardest part of my job is juggling meeting, staff coverage and maintaining all costs within budget
Unprofessional
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 12, 2017
Do not work at the atc in edison new jersey & do not work at the edison condos around the corner from the day program trust me you will regret it
Not for profit organization
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  River Vale, NJAugust 16, 2016
Nice work environment, pleasant settings, pleasant HR department, nice coworkers, plenty of opportunities for advancement, decent pay once you are promoted to a management position. Best feature is organization was started by parents to ensure their adult children with developmental disabilities always had a home. Client centered environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum for Living. Our community is ready to answer.