Spectrum for Living Employee Reviews in United States

nice place to work
Group Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rivervale, NJMay 12, 2016
everyone one and staff are great to work with lots of growth as team player the job is excellent the students were full of life everyone has respect for each other The only bad thing is the weather in the winter
Great cause, low pay!
substitute (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 13, 2015
The company has a great mission but the pay is low and they do not offer frequent raises. Upper management does not care and they are detached from the residential program. The disciplinary sucks and they drag thier feet to terminate bad staff.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
N/a
Group Home Counselor/Direct care Aide (Former Employee) –  River Vale, NJAugust 23, 2015
I enjoyed working with the mentally disabled. preparing meals, admin medication, transport residence too and from day programs, hygiene care, housekeeping
Produc
Group Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Westwood, NJJune 22, 2015
Assist residents with daily lifestyles. help them complete their daily goals. best part of my job is communication with the residents and making them know that they are special in their own way. preparing their daily meal and see them smile is ought to be the best working experience i had.
The clients were lovable. I liked the people I worked with.
Recreational Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Vale, NJMay 24, 2015
a typical work day at Spectrum is, I planned and organized Therapeutic Recreational programs to improve the functioning of the clients.
Pros
I liked the clients.
Fun place to work
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Haworth, NJMarch 17, 2015
Its a really good environment. The co-workers are very friendly. You pretty much just take care of the disabled as if they were children. I loved the fun activities that were set up for them.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
Cons
The pay was very low
Caring for a Loved one
Lead direct care counselor (Current Employee) –  Closter, NJDecember 24, 2014
Spectrum is a great place to send your loved ones, they have very high standards and always follow policy. They treat people as independently as possible. The staff are very nice, caring, and respectful. I learned cpr, first aid, and went to multiple other classes that help understand the clients better, and they are very helpful.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
short break
Productive and fun workplace
Supervised Apartment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rivervale, NJNovember 10, 2014
My typical work day would start at 3pm and end at 11pm
I would help with preparing foo for the clients, feed the clients that need help with feeding, bathe the clients that need help bathing. If there are activities planned for them, I would get them ready for the activities, drive them to and from the activities. When its time to go to bed, I would get them ready for bed, and put them to bed.
Pros
always had different activities or the clients, never got bored
Cons
nocons
Great place to learn new things
Activity Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westwood, NJNovember 6, 2014
Great place to work. Management works with you through difficult times and there is a lot to learn that the company will teach you. They also believe in the success of thier staff.
Pros
i received a few important certifications while working there.
Cons
the pay could be better.
Productive and great residents to work with
Lead Evening Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ringwood, NJOctober 14, 2014
the job is worth coming to. A typical night I would go in and most of the residents would be sleeping. I wake them in the morning to get them ready for work and program. my co-workers are good to work with.
Job is a good place to work
Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  closterSeptember 19, 2014
good place to learn pay is not that great but you can lean alot they hire alot with in and can be very helpful company at times overall a good place to work
Program Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  River Vale, NJSeptember 16, 2014
Friendly environment, flexible to all lifestyles, great employees, helping all who need
Assistant Director
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 11, 2014
• Responsibilities included: Completing initial assessments for prospective clients.
• In-servicing and monthly reports
• Host individual therapy and group therapy: Socialization, Self-Advocacy group, Post Traumatic Brain Disorder group.
• Manage ABC charts, data, methodologies and behavioral plans.
• Develop plans of transition and Psychological appointments.
• Manage staff, scheduling, payroll, meet and greets, and recreational skills.
• Oversee Individual habilitation plan, clients medical appointments and medication
Where you can give back to the community.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Closter, NJSeptember 9, 2014
Taking care of the residents and attending to their needs. Playing games with the residents and eating with them.
Pros
spending time with the residents
lovable place with great people
Group Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Westwood, NJJune 6, 2014
I have learned from this job patience, time management skills, compassion, and organization.
fun workplace
Assist/monitor/teach individuals (Former Employee) –  Closter, NJApril 21, 2014
it was fun fun working there,love woring with my clients, and staff were nice also.
Working with my clients make the job worth it.
Group Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 10, 2014
Helping my clients keep their daily routine flowing. Assisting with hygiene, medication, cleaning, cook, shopping etc. Keeping them safe and healthy is my main goal. Communicating with parents, doctors, rehabilitative programs and other staff to accomplish these goals. Balancing their income. last but not least allowing their feeling to be nurtured and their opinions to be heard.
Very Unprofessional Environment
ATA/Activity Therapist Aide (Former Employee) –  Edison,NJOctober 9, 2013
Spectrum for Living is a very unprofessional environment in my opinion. The way they go about certain things is very unfair and just not right. They don't follow proper procedures and the supervision of staff is not really there. There is very blunt and noticeable favoritism going on in the work place and I don't think that's right. The benefits are not that great at all. You are also doing a lot of work and a lot of labor for very little money. They don't realize the amount of work and stress they put on each person every day.
Pros
time off.
Cons
short breaks, healthcare sucks, everything!!!
n/A
Medical Group Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, NJOctober 1, 2013
Interacted with clients with severe medical issues. Assisted clients with daily activities
Active, fast paced environment
Activity Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Haledon, NJSeptember 3, 2013
This job makes you more aware and sensitive to the everyday things that I take for granted. A typical day is fast paced, always on high alert environment. I've learned to be patient and emotionally supportive. Management is very knowledgeable and dependable. Very understanding and stern. The hardest part about my job is leaving your clients and the end of your shift. You get attached to them and want to take them home with you. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to transport the clients to outings in the community such as malls, museums, plays, etc etc. Knowing that they can go out and be a part of the community just like any other human being. To know that they feel a part of something bigger then themselves and not look frowned upon due to their disability.
Pros
working one on one with the consumers families
Cons
not being able to show emotion.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum for Living. Our community is ready to answer.