Spectrum Human Services Employee Reviews

Slow Paced
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 21, 2017
Made monthly reports, helped team members with documentation, supervised documentation of peers, made activity schedules, took patients to appointments, medication documentation, scheduled outings, daily documentation, cleaned, laundry, gave patients medications, checked behind medication passer, prepared meals, sat in on manager meetings, helped prepare for audits, participated in audits.
Pros
slow paced, more one on one
Cons
low pay
Productive work place, love working with the juvenile girls
Group Home Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 26, 2017
Spectrum was a calm work place, there was room for advancement. Working with the young ladies teaching them how to grow into respectable women was my main focus. If my car hadn't broke down , I would still be working at Spectrum Human Services........
Benefits
Cons
Need more pay
great place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 2, 2017
I worked / Interned at the 1280 Main Street location and felt very welcomed by most employees who were eager to teach the students. On my very first day, I was given an individual to work with who was dealing with many problems. At first, I was thinking "OH NO!", but I was able to jump right in and handle everything dropped on me and was able to help and it left me with a great feeling of accomplishment. I found it to be a very positive experience. Even the individuals server were very welcoming and friendly for the most part. If given the opportunity to go back and work here I would. I would also urge other students/interns to take the learning opportunity if they are offered it. It was difficult to create a good bond with an individual and see them doing so well to find out that they had a major relapse, but seeing them come back to treatment as well as seeing them and others graduate the program made it all worth it. I personally am from a small town so going to Buffalo was a major eye opening experience.
Worst career move
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2017
Worked at 1280 main for several years. No room for growth. All about the money and numbers. The management will turn around and throw you under the bus, not even thinking twice. Parking for 20 people and had triple that in staff. Program director had favorites and promoted those only. Super disorganized and put too many people in offices. There was no concern for staff safety. A client brought a gun into the facility, pointing it at a staff member and NOTHING was done. Another client took a hammer to the front office window. Guess what happened- NOTHING! If you value your safety and morals, stay away.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Safety was a joke, parking, pay
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIApril 30, 2017
Working Spectrum has given me many new skills but it is hard to be promote within the company. The clients I work with are easy to handle but when the client is provoke they become unruly and very aggressive. I have been trained in conflict resolution and anger management strategies.
Low pay but decent job
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  BuffaloFebruary 6, 2017
I really enjoyed this job but the pay is very low. Loved the coworkers and immediate supervisors. Very little room for advancement in administration field.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low Salary
ok place to work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, NYNovember 29, 2016
concerns not taken seriously
lack of communication
work tasks not delegated evenly
employee info not kept confidential between supervisors and other employees
Has the potential to be a fun work place if you enjoy working with troubled youth.
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with the kids however the job doesn't pay well. The company does offer opportunities for growth and advanvement.
Pros
If you enjoy working with kids this is a good job for you.
Cons
One thing that bothered me was that in moments of crises there was very little support given.
an intern's perspective
Internship (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 16, 2016
Pros
The satisfaction in knowing that you were able to help another individual, Managment and other co-workers were great if you aare unsure where to go or what step to try next.
Cons
The biggest con that I can think of is the parking.
Hard work that paid off
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  DetrotiJune 28, 2016
A job where the most benefit came from seeing our clients develop, mature before our eyes and become productive members of society
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Being forced to stay over, management turnover
its a good place to work.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 28, 2015
Great place to work but management needs to be better. Pay needs to be more. not my favorite place to work. I don't really like it. management needs to be organized.
Every day i work there was an unpredictable day.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJune 19, 2015
I learned new human behaviors daily.
The management work well according to the children regulations and laws and ensured they were carried out accordingly.
Pros
All the Staff were well manored
Cons
unpredictable behavors
Extremely busy and constant flow of clients
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYJune 9, 2015
Clients with mental disabilities and or drug/alcohol dependence were the kind and appreciative. The toughest part was seeing the children with mental disabilities and how they cope. The young adults especially were the most troubled. But all in all, it was a rewarding job to know that you have an impact with each client.
fun place to work
Receptionist/ Call Center Reprensentative (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYMay 12, 2015
fun place to work. very flexible company. staff are great and great team players. clients are respectful and understanding.
Internship
Mental Health Clinician, Intern (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Spectrum Human Services has been a great internship site and allowed me to grow and gain clinical skills throughout my masters program. The staff are easy to get along with and very helpful.
Stressful, high expectations
PROS Recovery Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Difficult to reach goals in a timely manner. Good benefits. Team work. Time adjustment. Some difficult co-workers. Petty about small things.
No chance for advancement and personal life goes out the window
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 2, 2014
This is a job that proves that social work is a thankless job. The pay is horrible and you can never expect to receive a raise or bonus. They even made pay cuts a couple of years ago and instead of giving the employees that increase they promised back, they installed a gym that is only in the central location and only open during business hours.

Expect to give up your personal life for this job. Your phone (which is your personal cell phone and you're only given $10/month as reimbursement for) will ring all day and all night all 7 days a week and you are expected to give up everything to work for peanuts and no respect. You never know what a typical day will consist of. You may be screamed at in front of clients by upper management. You may be dealing with attacks by clients and left alone to deal with it with no back up. You may be belittled in front of a room of co-workers by supervisors.

There are plenty of people you meet that are great, but they do not last long at this agency due to management chasing them away.
Pros
Clients are well taken care of.
Cons
Horrible pay, poor chance for advancement, poor managemetn
Assisting youth ladys with daily living activites
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2014
Preparing youth for school with breakfast and transporting to school, assist with house and daily hygiene up keep.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
No health benefits
flexibility
Assistant Clinical Counselor/LPN (Current Employee) –  all locations in western new yorkDecember 2, 2013
Spectrum is a stepping stone for a focus in the future. There is a great deal of flexability working at spectrum along with strict management which makes working for spectrum great for it's organized.
Pros
flexability
Cons
no help with advancement
Being flexiable when needed
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 22, 2013
As with any job, having the pleasure to work with certain co-workers is the only reason why I enjoyed doing my job. I learned that the term, is not "what' you know, its "who" you know, when it came to this job. The hardest part of this job is management decision when bring new residents that need special attention.
Pros
Employment
Cons
No stability with scheduling