Spectrum Human Services Employee Reviews

an intern's perspective
Internship (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 16, 2016
I worked / Interned at the 1280 Main Street location and felt very welcomed by most employees who were eager to teach the students. On my very first day, I was given an individual to work with who was dealing with many problems. At first, I was thinking "OH NO!", but I was able to jump right in and handle everything dropped on me and was able to help and it left me with a great feeling of accomplishment. I found it to be a very positive experience. Even the individuals server were very welcoming and friendly for the most part. If given the opportunity to go back and work here I would. I would also urge other students/interns to take the learning opportunity if they are offered it. It was difficult to create a good bond with an individual and see them doing so well to find out that they had a major relapse, but seeing them come back to treatment as well as seeing them and others graduate the program made it all worth it. I personally am from a small town so going to Buffalo was a major eye opening experience.
Pros
The satisfaction in knowing that you were able to help another individual, Managment and other co-workers were great if you aare unsure where to go or what step to try next.
Cons
The biggest con that I can think of is the parking.
ok place to work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, NYNovember 29, 2016
concerns not taken seriously
lack of communication
work tasks not delegated evenly
employee info not kept confidential between supervisors and other employees
Hard work that paid off
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  DetrotiJune 28, 2016
A job where the most benefit came from seeing our clients develop, mature before our eyes and become productive members of society
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Being forced to stay over, management turnover
No chance for advancement and personal life goes out the window
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 2, 2014
This is a job that proves that social work is a thankless job. The pay is horrible and you can never expect to receive a raise or bonus. They even made pay cuts a couple of years ago and instead of giving the employees that increase they promised back, they installed a gym that is only in the central location and only open during business hours.

Expect to give up your personal life for this job. Your phone (which is your personal cell phone and you're only given $10/month as reimbursement for) will ring all day and all night all 7 days a week and you are expected to give up everything to work for peanuts and no respect. You never know what a typical day will consist of. You may be screamed at in front of clients by upper management. You may be dealing with attacks by clients and left alone to deal with it with no back up. You may be belittled in front of a room of co-workers by supervisors.

There are plenty of people you meet that are great, but they do not last long at this agency due to management chasing them away.
Pros
Clients are well taken care of.
Cons
Horrible pay, poor chance for advancement, poor managemetn
Excellent in helping youth with everyday living skills.
ISP Staffer (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 31, 2012
This was a enjoyable job, I worked with all nationalities,and clients from many different backgrounds. The co-workers were helpful and re
spectful.The hours were flexiable and their homes were very neat/clean.
Pros
the clients were given allowance, on fri. for keeping the home clean.
Cons
there' a 4hr.break when working a 12hr. shift, benefits.
Stressful, high expectations
PROS Recovery Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Difficult to reach goals in a timely manner. Good benefits. Team work. Time adjustment. Some difficult co-workers. Petty about small things.
Assisting youth ladys with daily living activites
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2014
Preparing youth for school with breakfast and transporting to school, assist with house and daily hygiene up keep.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
No health benefits
its a good place to work.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 28, 2015
Great place to work but management needs to be better. Pay needs to be more. not my favorite place to work. I don't really like it. management needs to be organized.
Non Profit agency assiting individuals with physical and emotional life challenges
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMay 5, 2013
A typical day would consist of running background checks, scheduling and conducting new hire orientation, HRIS entry, processing leave of absences and worker injuries, authorizing drug tests and fingerprinting, responding to unemployment claims, administor new benefit enrollees and/or resolve conflicts.
Pros
Gained extensive experience in Generalist responsabilities
Cons
I miss the organizational focus of record management
flexibility
Assistant Clinical Counselor/LPN (Current Employee) –  all locations in western new yorkDecember 2, 2013
Spectrum is a stepping stone for a focus in the future. There is a great deal of flexability working at spectrum along with strict management which makes working for spectrum great for it's organized.
Pros
flexability
Cons
no help with advancement

Want to know more about Spectrum Human Services?

Ask a question
For a mental health agency, they have no empathy for people who are grieving at all.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  TonawandaJuly 3, 2012
This would be a wonderful agency to work for if it weren't for their misconceptions in the hiring and promoting process. I worked for a child who was promoted to office manaager. She had absolutely no idea about adjustment situations for the clients or staff. Her immaturity and lack of understanding of the many situations in life severely compromized the environment.

To top it all off, they then hired a manager over her who didn't have the ability to be a manager. There was no communication or care from this individual at all.

For being a mental health clinic, I give them thumbs down. They should have understood that I came back to work because I thought I was needed never thinking I would be reprimanded for not noticing a client come in and sit in the corner where I could not see him. Power, not empathy, went to this little girl's head.

I would not recommend this company. They are cheap and irresponsible in their hiring process.
Every day i work there was an unpredictable day.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJune 19, 2015
I learned new human behaviors daily.
The management work well according to the children regulations and laws and ensured they were carried out accordingly.
Pros
All the Staff were well manored
Cons
unpredictable behavors
Watching family's get the help they needed
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westland, MINovember 2, 2012
A typical day at work was typing reports for CTW's. I learned that every family is different and require different needs from social workers. The management there was good and the co-workers were even better. The hardest part of my job was seeing the challenges the family's went through. The most enjoyable was staff participation.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
seeing how families stuggle
Fun, entertaining, games with kids, gym activities.
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJuly 10, 2013
Work midnights and monitor kids while they are sleeping. Make fifteen minute rounds. Clean control room and complete point sheets. Complete laundry and pass out bins. May sometimes work day shift if mandated. May take kids to breakfast and lunch. Monitor kids in classroom. Do social activities with kids such as play chess, checkers, cards, and watch videos. Complete therapy or counseling sessions and redirect negative social behavior. Management is often times very supportive and good. Co-workers are cooperative and team players. Hardest part of job is sometimes getting mandated to work overtime after working a midnight shift. This may require working sixteen hours. Additionally, you may encounter unruly or disruptive behavior at times throughout the day after already working a long, difficult shift. Most enjoyable part of job, however, is showing delinquent youth what it is like to be a positive male role model and getting along well with challenging,difficult delinquent youth. Also,teaching them positive social behavior and trying to get them to understand negative thinking errors through counseling or peer group assistance.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch
Cons
Mandations and possible physical managements
Extremely busy and constant flow of clients
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYJune 9, 2015
Clients with mental disabilities and or drug/alcohol dependence were the kind and appreciative. The toughest part was seeing the children with mental disabilities and how they cope. The young adults especially were the most troubled. But all in all, it was a rewarding job to know that you have an impact with each client.
Being flexiable when needed
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 22, 2013
As with any job, having the pleasure to work with certain co-workers is the only reason why I enjoyed doing my job. I learned that the term, is not "what' you know, its "who" you know, when it came to this job. The hardest part of this job is management decision when bring new residents that need special attention.
Pros
Employment
Cons
No stability with scheduling
fun place to work
Receptionist/ Call Center Reprensentative (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYMay 12, 2015
fun place to work. very flexible company. staff are great and great team players. clients are respectful and understanding.
Internship
Mental Health Clinician, Intern (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Spectrum Human Services has been a great internship site and allowed me to grow and gain clinical skills throughout my masters program. The staff are easy to get along with and very helpful.
Positive Working enviorment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 8, 2012
Professional, cutting edge. Highest standards in accrediation process.Provided on going education in leadership skills.
Pros
professional standards
Cons
sold business
Long hours and hard work
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2013
I had the opportunity to meet individuals who were passionate about helping individuals and families overcome life issues.
Pros
Co-workers who were passionate about their jobs.
Cons
loss of funding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6