Speed Wire

Speed Wire Employee Reviews

Former employee, take my advice!
installation tech (Former Employee) –  mobile, alMarch 5, 2014
I joined speedwire in October 2013. Seemed like a decent job and I'm not going to lie it had its pros and con's. One outweighing the other heavily. They are a contract service for at&t. Pushing the new Digital Life system (ridiculously flawed for having such a huge purpose).if you have a family that you want to keep safe, don't let them fool you because they are big bad at&t. RESEARCH! I was told by my manager that I had a very good percenage on the amount of repairs on the systems I installed, but it became apparent that quality over speed, inventory, and various other things is not quite as important. I was doing the repairs on my fellow technicians installations, it just seemed unfair because they had quite a few bad installs. The management, training and benefits are all mediocre in structure. They claim to be a highly energetic, fast paced, fast growing company, but in truth they are having a hard time cooking the big fish they barely reeled in. The market managers are overloaded so they developed a system for techs to start emailing a "dispatch" agent, with their issues, schedulimg changes, etc and almost simultaneously they will be going to piece rates. So how does a technician who is poorly trained, installing a poor security system that has a terrible amount of software and hardware issues, make any money EMAILING someone who has no clue about what's going on aside from scheduling, throughout the install? The at&t manager over my speedwire manager had no clue how to do his job, but HAD picked up on how to point out mistakes, I'm guessing from other at&t managers. My  more... speedwire manager was the silver lining in every cloudy day. The company is unorganized, fast paced indeed, but not in a fun way, and to top it off the insurance cost comes out of BOTH bi weekly checks it is not one payment per month, 800.00 a month for my family coverage. The inventory system is severely jacked up, technicians have lost their jobs over a horrible system for inventory. If they had any sense they would have an inventory specialist or agent or whatever they would label them as at every market who keeps up with all the inventory instead of putting it on the techs that don't get paid for selling it anyway. Who don't care to do it in the first place. They have good people holding them up from the bottom to the top but they just aren't prepared. I wouldn't recommend speedwire to anyone trying to make a living supporting a family, if your single, it may be the roller coaster ride for you. But take it from someone who isn't a current, one sided, employee with a lead or management position, do as much research as possible and be cautious.  less
Cons
terrible structure, mixed values, untested methods and procedures, unprofessional out processing
Getting with a Gazelle
Senior Training & Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 29, 2013
I've worked at Speed Wire for 17 months and it has been one hell of a ride. My career prior to Speed Wire was with large corporations, large institutions, and entertainment concerns, each with their attendant idiosyncrasies, assets,liabilities and headaches. It took me 8 months of searching before landing here, and it was well worth the wait.

Speed Wire is in a state of hyper-growth at this time, and while every day isn't your birthday, the company has managed to strike an exquisite balance between the "big company" mentality and the grassroots, homegrown family culture that is its true signature quality. In spite of the lumps the company has taken in my brief stint so far, they've never veered from the highest moral, ethical and professional standards.

And speaking of birthdays, each time an employee is celebrating one, our executive team makes a point of recognizing it! This past summer, the company HQ even held barbecues every Friday. Around the country, field offices are encouraged to engage in activities that go the extra mile to make new employees feel welcome, valued, and appreciated.

National incentives for performance have been established and adhered to, and Executive Management continuously seeks newer and better ways to provide monetary incentives for employees at EVERY level of the company.

But money is secondary to the culture that Speed Wire has solidified around professionalism, partnership, transparency and commitments to both its customers and employees. This gazelle didn't land so many elephants by being "shady" or through any other questionable behaviors.
  more... The company's founders are accessible, visible, and on a first-name basis with each and every employee. There is no pretense here around expectations, and what you see is what you get. It's the most energizing, ethical and enjoyable workplace where I've ever had the privilege of being a part.

The hardest part of my job is not knowing what will happen next and the most enjoyable part of my job is not knowing what will happen next. There have been bumps, even a collision or two in these past 17 months, but I can say in all honesty, with no reservation, that Speed Wire is the coolest place I've ever worked.

Goliath, you'd better watch out. David has arrived.
Pros
grass roots people at every level, cutting-edge technology and practices, the bleeding edge of organizational development, barbecues in the summertime, company-sponsored field trips and pizza on my birthday!
Cons
painting the ship while it sails, occasionally difficult days and long hours, wearing numerous hats and keeping lots of balls in the air
Poorly run contracting company installing a reasonably good product
Installer (Former Employee) –  MineolaMay 9, 2014
I only worked for SpeedWire for two weeks and I knew it wasn't for me-very poor training (even the trainer said it was like teaching someone to swim without a pool). 5 days of training without ever touching the product-just talking and watching videos and Power Point presentations. I was assigned to spend time with a "veteran" technician to acquaint myself with the process for 3 days-he was on the job for 3 weeks by himself and was still installing hardware for the first time. In addition, I found out later this "veteran" technician was not following procedures (making many mistakes and cutting corners). There is a lot of pressure to get the job done within a specific timeframe, upsell the customer and keep inventory updated. The software they provide to do installations (testing, loading, inventory, timesheets, email) is not integrated which makes the job more difficult. The market manager, though I'm sure a nice guy outside of work, was in over his head, only with the company for 2 months and would routinely send out threatening emails to his staff about doing the job quickly and following all the procedures instead of encouraging his staff to do the best installation and customer support possible and allow them build up speed naturally. Yes, they provide a truck and an iPad but so what? You can only use them for the job-the truck is tracked via GPS so they know where you are all the time. The iPad cannot be used for anything but work. There are no guaranteed hours-you may work 6 hours, 12 hours or no hours. You must work every Saturday and Monday. Some people may find this  more... an interesting and challenging job, but not I. I believe the AT&T product is reasonably good but Speedwire just installs it. Maybe the New York market demands a different approach to the installation aspect.  less
Pros
you get paid for the hours you work
Cons
poor management, training, pressure to complete jobs on time rather than in a quality manner
A great place to work
Instructional Designer/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2013
I worked with Speed Wire as a training consultant for several months before joining the company. I worked steadily as a consultant and could have continued to do so successfully. I decided to join Speed Wire because of what they represented, how they treated their employees, where they were headed, and the level of excellence they always strive for. Even as a consultant I was treated as a member of the Speed Wire family, which is not always the case when you are a consultant. I saw that level of family and teamwork throughout all the offices I traveled to. Unlike other companies I have had experience with the leaders here are not out of reach. I have had the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with the president on several occasions. They say the fish smells from the head, well in this case the company values, sense of teamwork, and genuine concern for everyone’s success are magnificently modeled from the top. The entire management team works as hard as they people they manage to make everyone successful. They expect a lot but they give a lot in return.
The benefits are solid; the opportunity for advancement is great and the training is more than I have seen with any other company of this type. Many of the people I have trained have already received promotions. Don’t get me wrong this is not a company where you can sit back and get things handed to you, but if you are willing to work hard and interested in a career with a company quickly expanding, this is the place for you! Are there bumps along the way, sure, but the great thing is Speed Wire learns and grows in a
  more... positive manner from each challenge. I have never seen a company manage such a large expansion so effectively.
Speed Wire looks for the best, gives them the tools needed to be successful and provides endless opportunity.
Growing company, opportunities abound!
Documentation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2013
I started at Speed Wire a little under a year ago and have been given every opportunity I could have hoped to receive. You could easily characterize the company as an overnight success that took 16 years to establish, as it is growing very fast in new and exciting ways. We are a multifaceted company with several large accounts, working with reputable companies, like AT&T, Verizon and ADT.

The interesting thing about the company is that the opportunities are 100% dependent on YOU. If you have a talent for distinguishing yourself and feel your abilities usually go unnoticed and unappreciated, you should DEFINITELY apply with Speed Wire. I began with the company in the HR/Recruiting department, and stayed in that niche for several months. However, after sending ONE email to executive administration stating my goals and my work experience, I was given ample opportunity to showcase my creative abilities in an exciting new position.

This company rewards initiative, ingenuity, talent and IF you are a stand-out employee and want to reach for new heights, send an application in to Speed Wire.
Pros
exposure, opportunity, flexibility, fast-paced, reward-oriented, nationwide presence
Cons
if you aren't flexible or creative, you won't be successful. 'in-the-box' thinkers need not apply
Not a all what I signed up for! completely misleading
tech (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 19, 2013
Don't be fooled by the promises that they make you. You don't receive a commission for selling extra products even though they tell you that you will. They make a lot of promises but can't follow thru with any of them because of a bunch of red tape. You do not get paid enough for the amount of work that they require of you. If you have no work for the day, then you report to the office for the day and sit around doing absolutely nothing. If you do go on an install just hope that you can finish it in the allotted time that they figure it should take. On most jobs we had nothing but problems. One of the biggest issues is that customers have no idea what they are getting because a sales person completely misled them and at that point they don't want the system anymore, which will cause a whole bunch of other internal issues that you don't really want to deal with and my manager asking what I could have done differently to make the the customer happy. If you don't mind being lied to then this is the company for you. It is a very shady company to work for
Pros
take home truck
Cons
everything else
Most fun I was paid to have
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJuly 29, 2014
As a recruiter, the work itself was rewarding. However, as a rapidly-growing company, priorities can and did shift often. This isn't for everyone but if you're the kind of person who can keep up with changes, it's excellent.

On a typical day, talking with 2 dozen+ candidates is fun and the commitment to treating candidates with dignity was absolutely fantastic. That commitment started at the top--which is why I thought management was fantastic. Sharp, good camaraderie & strong espirit de corps were my reality every single day with everyone else in the company.

Make no mistake: things change fast in Speed Wire and I expect they will continue to do so with MasTec. That speed isn't for everybody. And that is a lot of why a number of reviews are so poor.

But succeeding in spite of challenges is a rush.
Pros
camaraderie, espirit de corps, culture, benefits start early
Cons
change is a constant and probably difficult for those uncomfortable with uncertainty
Just OK
Digital Life Tech (Former Employee) –  CADecember 18, 2013
Basically AT&T pimps out their jobs to companies like speedwire to do their work for them because it would cost them a fortune to pay actual AT&T employees to do the work. YOU ARE A CONTRACTOR for ATT and your customers will know that because its right on your badge. They make you buy your own tools so you have to spend money to work for them? secondly, they give you a company truck BUT it has AT&T's tracking software on it so you cant do anything without them knowing about it...and lastly they give you an IPAD to do your job with but they have sooooo much tracking software on that too that its basically just another screwdriver in your tool pouch.

so in short, its a ok job but that is about it... i found them to be too scripted and treat you like robots. good luck
Pros
hmm its a job...not in a office
Cons
contractor, no commision on upsells, gps tracked truck & ipad, bad management or lack thereof, work under strict at&t rules! bleh
This company is a joke !
Digitial Life Tech (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreOctober 14, 2013
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT WORK FOR THESE CLOWNS !
THIS IS A SCAM ITS NOT A JOB ! They laid have the country off about 2 months ago without any Warning what so ever ! they called us all in to the office at 7:30 in the morning and had Taxi Cabs waiting for us OUTSIDE ! I couldn't believe it it ! they laid us of with only a WEEKS PAY !

The so called Market manger is some young 28 year old ADT Know it all ! It was lies from the day of the interview till the day we got laid off ,. this guys a JOKE and this company is a JOKE.

Digital Life lol is a joke .. they have no installs . we stated in the office for 5 months not doing anything. Hey i dont want this to happen to anybody else out there, take my advice and go to work for a real alarm company !.
Pros
lies lies lies and more lies
Cons
everything about this job is a scam !
Looked good at first glance
Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellmawr NJFebruary 12, 2014
The place didn't sound bad at first. Truck and iPad included. They paid less then the initial offer. Advancement in the company is pretty scarce. One day, basically the whole office got laid off. It was country wide. Most of the guys that got laid off were only there for a few weeks. Scheduling and management were not that great. There weren't really any back end benefits at this job. Additionally, speedwire is a contractor and Att managers work with the techs in the field. The Att managers that work with techs are terrible and really destroy what could have been an ok gig. Keep looking, there are better opportunities out there.
Pros
truck, gas card, tools
Cons
management, scheduling, compensation, quality of life.
Best Job I've Had in 13 Years
Lead Tech (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2013
I've been with Speed Wire since April and can happily say that it's by far the best company I've worked for. My previous employer was a big box chain retailer. They never really cared about the low man on the totem pole. My time with Speed Wire has shown me that there are companies that still care about their employees. The training is great and consistent. In the short time I've been with this company I've already advancing faster than I did with my last job. I would highly recommend this company. Best career choice I've made!
Pros
take home truck, easy advancement, great coworkers
Innovative & Growing Company
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 28, 2013
I've been in the technology industry for 16 years working for very large companies as well as for smaller companies. Working for Speed Wire has hands-down been the best experience of my career.
The company has a small, family oriented feel and atmosphere, but yet has the acumen and stability of a large corporation. And it all starts from the top and proliferates itself throughout the entire organization.
The company and its executives are constantly striving to improve and grow the business; thus allowing for plenty of career improvement opportunities.
The best part of it all...no matter how much the company grows, EVERYONE's voice is always heard!
Pros
family oriented, growing company with limitless opportunity
Its ok if you are hired for an installation posistion
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 24, 2013
Basically this company is an installation contractor. They signed a contract with AT&T to do filed sales for Digital Life. In some markets it went well and in some it just horrible. Job security was an issue, seeing that Speedwire has never held a contract with a company in the "Field Sales" department, so it seemed like they did not know how to go about it. AT&T decided to end the agreement with Speedwire at the end of this year, (2013).
Pros
paid salary, mileage and cell phone. work/life balance was awesome: made you own hours
Cons
management and support in the field
overall great place to work
lead tech (Current Employee) –  philadelphia paOctober 29, 2013
I have been working with speed wire for 6 months. when i first started we were new to the market and we started from scratch. it has been a up hill battle working everything out as we go but speed wire has always kept a open line of comuncation with all the changes. they take of their employees and listen to the concerns from the techs making the necessary changes to balance work and personal life. overall a great place to work
Pros
taking home work truck. overtime. friendly coworkers
Cons
health care package needs to be improved
Fun job but horrible managment
Connected Home Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 11, 2014
The job was ok at best. The pay isn't bad combined with the fact you get a company vehicle. The management is absolutely horrible. Long hours due to the designed system being a piece of garbage then they hound you about how long it took. All the blame for issues is placed on you when nearly none of those issues are even remotely in your control.
Pros
pay, company vehicle
Cons
management lacks accountability and blames everyone else for their problems.
A great place to work, associates are a pleasure to work with
Payroll (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 30, 2013
I have been working for Speed Wire since February 2013. I could not ask for a better place to work. My boss could not be better to work with.
I enjoy being busy which my job allows me to be, I was taught the ins and outs of Google Chrome, Time Keeping Software, etc.
The best part of the job is that everyone works as a team.
Pros
fellow employee's
Digital life tech
digital life tech (Former Employee) –  virgina marketAugust 30, 2013
Dont do it speedwireinc dont care about their employees you will loose your job no matter how gud you are as a tech.Its a real shady sneaky company with nothing. To offer but lies...Dont work their
Pros
seem nice in the beginning
Cons
one day your working fine the next your laid off
Opportunities to Excel are endless !
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 29, 2013
In about a year I have advanced twice within Speed Wire INC. With a in-depth training program, positive team work, and job commitment your future is endless. I have made the best career choice by working with Speed Wire INC.
Pros
easy to advance and relax work environment
Opportunities for Growth at Speed Wire
Recruiting Manager (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 29, 2013
I started at Speed Wire with a 1 month contract assignment in July 2012. Within months, I was hired as a full time recruiter and have been promoted. Speed Wire management consistently recognizes and promotes talent from within. We have a great team!
Pros
growth opportunities, team environment
Servi ces Director (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 31, 2013
Great Company to work for, they create a friendly but highly charged environment. Encouraging all embers of the organization to share ideas and criticisms.

The Company is growing rapidly, a testament to management but also to the hard work of ALL employees.

Overall a great place to work.