Speedway, LLC. Employee Reviews

Found 2,241 reviews matching the search
Horrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lindenhurst, NYJune 16, 2016
A typical day at speedway you are always being yelled at by someone be it a customer or a manager cause the work is never good enough, you are lucky if you even get to eat anything the entire shift due to no brakes, something always seems to be broken in the store and they refuse to pay it out of there pocket so it comes out your own bonus, the only good thing about the job was your co workers felt the same way you did so it was very easy to get along with each other. The management was horrible no one ever seemed like they knew anything or even know how to train you. Overall if you are looking for a decent starting job look elsewhere the miminmum wage is not worth the amount of headaches you have to deal with everyday.
Cons
No breaks, nothing's free, everything is always broken
busy and fast paced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHJune 7, 2016
putting together daily reports, prepping the store to start the day, work hand and hand with the customers to assure a great visit, inventory counts/ orders/ restocking, setup up staff schedules to have proper coverage through the week and weekend. The hardest part of this job was being salary, which do to the allotted hours required a lot of extra hours with no pay worked to utilize proper store coverage. The best part of the job was making my regular customers days a little brighter because they stop by the store and had a great experience.
Pros
my customers, my staff and before moving having a greatest DM in the company
Cons
after moving DM, work to life ratio
I enjoyed the time I spent with Speedway but the management didn't see eye to eye.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, OHJune 6, 2016
A typical day was greeting and walking the floors to make sure everything was presentable. I learned that not everyone in going to like your perception on things. The management team needs to work on their communication. My co-workers were good, hard working, honest crew members who took advice well. The hardest part of this job was working shifts from 6am-2am the next day due to call offs. Also the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the customers.
Very demanding job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 23, 2016
It is a great place to move up fast. The pay rates are low but if your looking to gain experience it's a good place to get it. The hours they give you to run a store are impossible if you don't sell a lot of the selling rack your store hours will be cut. A lot of people call out or quite because they don't like the enviorment so be ready to pull 16 hr shifts.
Great work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYJune 28, 2016
I really liked working at Speedway helping the customers and sometimes seeing the same ones everyday. I learned patience working there. My co workers were a little much and felt that when the boss left them in charge the co workers kind of took advantage of the fact that they were in charge. I think the hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone that comes through the door, whether they didn't have enough money for their purchase or just helping them with a simple task such as pumping gas (which we weren't allowed to do). The most enjoyable part of the job for me was having people leave with a smile on their face. I love making peoples day and if I could help in making their day better I would never hesitate to do so.
Pros
Discounts on products thats about it.
Cons
Seems like the breaks were never long enough.
Friendly fun workplace
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 26, 2016
While it was standard work of coming in and ringing up customers/ cleaning house, I got to build a great relationship with my customers and had a huge sense of community. Customers would honestly tell me they only stopped at my store because they saw my car in the lot and I would stay up to date on their lives, I'd memorize their usual purchases and would even have certain coffees brewed or food put out when I knew regulars were coming at odd hours when food didn't get refreshed.

The only downsides to the job was the low pay, and the shift I was working made it difficult to call off if I had any type of emergency (ie.I'd go into work very sick or would walk when I had car problems because of inability to find somebody to cover my shift)

It was definitely an upbeat place to be in with a boss that truly cared and worked as hard as her employees
Very organized and easy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Clendenin, WVJune 1, 2016
The crew at the speedway I work at is Great, we all do our best to work together as a team. Easy part of a days work would have to be the register. Hardest part would be some of the cleaning due to getting to tight places and a lot of head bumping or elbow bumping. I have learned customer service skills as well as dealing with issues that customers may have.
Pros
hourly pay
Cons
not a lot of hours and no FULL-TIME positions
fun and outgoing enviornment everyone can learn from!
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 25, 2016
Speedway is an awesome work place and I am so glad I've had the opportunity to work for them. Being a part of the management team has really opened my mind to a lot more of what retail is all about. At speedway we live solely to make our customers proud and wanting to come back!! And it's the best feeling seeing them leave with smiles on their faces.
Fast paced and new experiences, never a dull moment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palos Hills, ILMay 31, 2016
A typical day at Speedway was dissimilar weekly. It consisted of making coffee fresh every few hours, cleaning and maintaining decorum, providing rapid responses to our speedy customers. Management provided helpful influences so that one can apply it inside and outside of the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was the endless amount of opportunity to advance in sales/careers. The hardest part of the day was the machines for speedy rewards going on and offline. What I have learned from this experience was that anything is possible if one applies themselves.
Pros
Meeting new people daily
Cons
short breaks
Varied and Fluid
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 21, 2016
The tasks set ahead day to day changed depending on the situation and the amount of employees working for the day. Speedway taught me how to work well with others and how to lead them to get tasks done. The management team was usually well placed because you have to earn it and most of the time were understanding to most situations but expected communication anytime something needed their attention. The co-workers I had we really receptive to my position as a shift leader in a positive manner even when I just got placed to the store. I would have to say the most difficult part of the job was the timing of completion for expected tasks but the most enjoyable is being able to work with a team and understanding their strengths and weaknesses so you can address them so you can get thing done efficiently.
a new learning experience
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grayling, MIAugust 16, 2016
i came into work at 5am, i prepped the breakfast and made sure it was all set up and then prepped and made lunch. most of the co-workers were good. the hardest part of the job was being told by 3 or more people with 3 or more ways to do my job. the most enjoyable part of the job was customer service.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
no breaks
Worst Job Ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJuly 28, 2016
Basically, to put it simply, the worst job I've ever had. Customers weren't too horrible except the ones that were rude, super flirtatious and annoying. Been harassed a couple times. Coworkers weren't all that bad , but they weren't great either. Low pay. No breaks. No benefits, and the hours were horrid. Not worth it.
Productive and Crazy Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 20, 2016
A typical day at work was working the register and stocking shelves and cooler constantly.
I learned that
Management was always changing. Management was always getting fired or quitting and new management was hired.
My co-workers were always working their hardest.
The hardest part of the job was working in an area that had a lot of crime.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with friendly people and seeing the regulars come in.
loved it
Sales Associate, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 19, 2016
I worked the third shift so when I arrived I would take apart the machines clean those and move on to cleaning the rest of the store. I would be left alone. I was also responsible for running the store until we closed. I would tend to customers in between cleaning or anything else I was previously doing. I enjoyed the constant interaction with customers an overall enjoyed my time with this company.
Pros
free lunches, Flexible hours
Cons
No breaks
Great work experience
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 18, 2016
i worked 3rd shift so when i arrived I would take apart the machines clean those and move on to cleaning the rest of the store. I would be left alone I was also responsible for running the store until my manager showed up in the morning. I would tend to customers in between cleaning or anything else i was previously doing. I enjoy the consent interaction with the customers and overall enjoyed my time with this company.
Pros
Customer Service experience
Cons
NO Breaks
Wouldn't recommend it
Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, OHJune 3, 2016
With an atmosphere where you are constantly watched for any mistake, the slightest thing can get you fired. The general managers watch you from home on the security cameras and have been known to call and fire people over the phone while they are working. The people were friendly that I worked with but the overall structure and corporate mindset is what made me decide to walk away.
Speedway
Shift Manager/ Food Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMay 17, 2016
Speedway is a great job if you want to move up, the work or life balance is way off sync. You will probably work too much or too little. While on the clock the company will work you. It is very easy to move up in the company. The benefits are ok, depending on your level of management your healthcare benefits. Some of the management can be really good. The company has a lot of good workers, the corporate expectations are unreal. Your hard work can go un noticed.
Pros
Can move up easily in the company
Cons
Hard work is unappreciated
Great job for working with the public face to face.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHMay 16, 2016
It was a really great place for work. You knew what to expect as soon as you walked in the door. I learned how to stock a cooler. The management was really friendly, caring and understanding. They seemed to care more in this company than any other I have been at. My co-workers were called my 'work friends'. They were really great people who were such a joy to be around. Stocking the store and running the register at the same time seemed to be slightly difficult. I really enjoyed the whole job over all. There wasn't much I didn't like about it.
Pros
Its fun, easy, and friendly. Get to work with the public.
Cons
No benefits, Unpredictable scheduling, No designated time for lunch or breaks.
Ify place
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INJune 4, 2016
This place had a great management training program once I finally was able to get in for class. Though the stuff they teach in class is often tossed aside once they get back on site which is sad because they had great work ethics in class, but they are not put into practice at this site while I was there.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
Can't have much of a life and the higher managers can be jerks
Highly entergetic who works well with others seeks ways to bring productivity in company.
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 10, 2016
When working I work with what the company vision is while observing production. Seeking my own ideas to align with what the company has in mind. Greeting others with respect and treating others as if I myself was the customer. Work well with others or alone. Even though sometimes you may not get off when expected take it as a few more hours to learn and become better at what you do. Enjoyed all the experience received with this company.
Pros
Being the manager, making the schedule
Cons
No time with my family worked long hours that would sometimes interfer with raising my children.