Speedway, LLC. Employee Reviews

Found 2,239 reviews matching the search
Seemed good....
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Johns, MISeptember 11, 2015
I had been in the fuel convenience business for a long time. Thought that Speedway would be a good place to try and continue with my experience. When I interviewed I was told that I would be in training for an advanced job beyond store level. Did not pan out that way. The people that they set me up with to train were not knowledgeable in how to operate a profitable business. There were many issues with the managers and talking with the DM it showed that they did not want to change the culture; like I was told in my interview. I left the company but wish that I would have had the opportunity to learn from a more established person with better business acumen. This company has done a lot to differentiate itself from the competition. They will continue to grow, I have seen positive advancement in my area.
A typical work day
Assistant Manager/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 18, 2016
The days can vary here. it can be very busy, very slow or a happy medium. This environment you meet people that are heading to work, the gym or home. They are shopping for Gas, last minute groceries like milk, leisure objects like beer or snacks. on the morning rush coffee and breakfast buyers or a mid day cigarette and lotto player. we get deliveries of products. I complete out invoices for deliveries. put in trouble calls and supervise my employees.
You do a lot of work for a minimal pay.
Cashier/Cook/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHAugust 29, 2016
At speedway i had to to cook, clean, manage a register, make sure my register was to speedway standards at all time (had to have less than $110 in the drawer at all times) which meant safe dropping money several time an hour throughout your whole shift. Had a manager that would work me 8+ hour shifts and wouldn't give me or my co-workers breaks to eat or go outside, but could go out herself.
Pros
Lots of different people.
Cons
Not enough pay for the work you do.
hard working
Assistant manager and Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 23, 2016
7am open store, turn al the power on wash my hands prepare the food and coffee for the morning rush, Open two registers, Do paper work if there is any to do, count down the safe, By that time all of my morning customers are arriving for morning coffee and gas, I do these things repeatedly through out the day to ensure that the store was keep at an good standards At 3pm I clock out and go home after making sure I count the safe down . I Developed love for computers working for speedway I had to make sure I kept up with a lot of emails I also was trained on how to do payroll so that became part of my job also. Management at speedway is great any questions we needed answered or anything we needed done it was nothing they would stop at to ensure that they could make your job easier. The hardest part of working at speedway was the customers sometimes I sometimes felt unsafe at night. The most enjoyable part of working at speedway was waking up in the morning and doing what I love to do serving the community.
Pros
If I was hungry I could by my food from speedway
Cons
dealing with rude customers
good place to work with steady hours
Acting Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 8, 2015
This job had a rough start for me. I was robbed at gun point after only being there for a few weeks. I quickly moved up the ladder after noticing some safety issues. I went from a regular employee to site safety captain, then to senior sales associate, in a matter of less than a year. After I completed the training with high marks for assistant manager, I acted as the assistant manger. I didn't get the official title or benefits, because I had school debt and they considered me to be a risk. My manager tried to fight corporate but it didn't work. This job was frustrating at times because there was a lot I couldn't do without my title. However I made some great friends, worked a lot of hours, and had job security. I learned a lot of back office programs and ordering systems which helped me further myself when I went back to school.
Pros
job security
Cons
frustration with job advancement
I enjoyed the time I spent with Speedway but the management didn't see eye to eye.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, OHJune 6, 2016
A typical day was greeting and walking the floors to make sure everything was presentable. I learned that not everyone in going to like your perception on things. The management team needs to work on their communication. My co-workers were good, hard working, honest crew members who took advice well. The hardest part of this job was working shifts from 6am-2am the next day due to call offs. Also the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the customers.
Poor work place environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 30, 2016
I am previous manager with speedway they don't care about employees and then tell you going give you a raise never happens then 6 months later your yearly raise is do and you still don't get raises you just get the boot because they can do whatever they want and you report them and no trouble comes to them so they play favoritism and wrongfully terminate employees.
Pros
You get plenty hours
Cons
They lie to whoever and never carry out promises
Very Unsafe
CSR (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 8, 2016
Work consisted of coming in and cashiering, stocking shelves and garbage. Management was not consistent and they were not fair, treating all employees different depending on who you were. The most difficult part of the job was seeing the fights and being robbed twice in the very short period of time working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and enjoyable people.
productive company with oppotunities to climb up the ladder
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJFebruary 5, 2016
This company is a great company very professional and under great management. The employers and employees all communicate very well and we all conduct ourselves in a professional manner at all times. however because of our excellent communication and respect for one another our work environment has become one that exudes a family oriented base.
Pros
great staff and customer service
Cons
no breaks very busy
Not great, but tolerable
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INJune 1, 2016
I really liked the job at first, but quickly it began to interfere with college. I was not being supported by my upper management so the staff refused to listen to me which lead to me taking on more of their job and them complaining I left them to the register because of this issue. In the end I got hurt on the job and the district manager made me feel like if I went to the hospital and claimed work comp I'd lose my job which in the end I went a week or so later and claimed comp. They said my claim was invalid and shortly after they fired me. When I asked for their reasoning they gave me several excuses all of which reflected faults in their end and when I refuted their claims with valid evidence they back pedaled and ended up saying I wasn't what they were looking for in their company as their final excuse. Even working injured and pushing myself while I was injured to get my job plus others jobs because the staff was not reprimanded enough to submit to doing their job accordingly I still got fired.
Pros
Good Benefits, great management training program
Cons
Upper management don't follow protocol & fires if you claim work comp.

Want to know more about Speedway, LLC.?

Ask a question
Opportunities are present, but it's all about the bottom line.
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Enon, OHJuly 21, 2015
Potential to move around within the corporation, but experience and seniority don't matter much here. The opportunities to advance are generally limited to those with a bachelor's degree or those who are related to one of the corporate managers or someone at Marathon. Relatives and personal friends of upper level management are safe when the axe swings. They don't care much about the people. It's a "there's someone else waiting for your job" mentality.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
Lack of job security, too much nepotism
Fun place to work
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 20, 2016
Daily i would have a lot of different tasks to get done. I was a shift leader there so I would have my hand full doing a variety of things including but not limited to making coffee, daily cleaning tasks, making the food, scanning in the deliveries we would get along with placing the orders , I would refill the coolers, make the schedules for the week , deal with customer complaints and compliments and more.
Pros
I worked with some wonderful people
Cons
I would not always get a break or a day off in one week
potential to move up with the company
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 12, 2016
If you love customer service and meeting new people Speedway would be a great fit for you. The hardest part of the job is smaller stores keep just one person scheduled on night shift, so you should consider if you are the type of person that would have a problem with working alone during the midnight hours before applying for the job.
Pros
meeting new people, moving up with the company, Great management based seminars
Cons
Working alone at night
Convenient work place
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WIApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me working the register, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out the trash, sweeping and mopping. I learned how to do multiple tasks by myself. I learned how valuable team work is, and how different types of customers can be. My management team honestly did not do much. They spent most of their time on their phones and talking to the regulars. They also went out for smoke breaks quite often. My co workers, sent me to do most of the work as they were really food friends with the managers. Often times I felt unwanted in the environment and around my peers. The hardest part of my job would have to be doing several tasks at once, with no help. Also remembering the different type of cigarettes and where they were located was very hard. The easiest part consisted of working the cash register and engaging with the customers.
Pros
Flexible Hours, you get to know others and engage in conversations.
Cons
No breaks, the employees and managers are not that friendly
Seriouse and fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHJune 13, 2016
The day was really nice and good. I learned how to run report's and how to look over the inventory.

The management was very nice and answered all the question's that I had asked with a good answer. The co-workers were nice and helpful and helped me learn how to do my work.

The hard part of the job was learning how to run all the report's correctly. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we all had made each other laugh by telling jokes and saying funny stuff when we wasn't busy.
Questionable work ethic by management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OhioJanuary 3, 2016
This is easily the worst place I have ever worked. The store manager openly tells customers if they do not like the service at our store, to go to the Marathon down the street. I have been instructed to put expired food items out onto the floor. I was also told by management that if I were to drop a roller grill item, I was to make sure no customers were looking and quickly put it back on the grill. Always out of stock of something and store is rarely mopped or swept. Disgusting.
Pros
Some fellow employees were enjoyable to work with.
Cons
too many to list honestly.
fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and laid back. I learned time management skills. my co-workers were amazing people and ive made some life long friends from working with them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
free soda
Cons
short breaks
Customer service representative
Customer Service Representative/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 22, 2015
A typical day having to meet quotas, learned how to enter data, management was ok, coworkers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was meeting quotas and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Pros
Learning how to enter data.
Cons
No benefits.
super america
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 23, 2016
I would handle cash, check, and credit card transactions on a daily basis. I restocked anything that the store was low in supplies such as food, tobacco products, and beverages. The management at Super America are very friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was free coffee and pop during work hours.
Loved working here!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2016
My 1st full time job, it was amazing, due to the management team that was out around me at my 3 different store locations. I also felt that i was a needed member of the team, no matter where i went i also felt welcomed too. This was, is, one of my favorite places to work just didn't really give me the pay needed to get my adult life off the ground completely.