Spelman College Employee Reviews

Workplace can be very stressful at times
Sr. Admin. Assistant/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2017
great job security..friendly environment..typical workday is long a varies can be constantly interrupted throughout the day. Communication campus wide needs improvement in some areas.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
pay compensation
Best place to get an education
Analytical Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2017
Spelman College brings together young black women with potential and nurtures them to women who eventually shake the world and impact it to measures it has never experienced. Spelman Women will always rock!
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2017
Spelman College provides a great working environment for otherwise employed professionals to serve as Adjunct Faculty. The experience has been rewarding for student and teacher alike.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Parking
Great place to work!
Junior Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2017
My role was to serve as a mentor to the young ladies in the program. I participated in the same program the summer before my freshmen year at the institution so I had the ability to share with the young ladies my experience in the program. Also, I was able to assist them with any assignments they may have needed help with, questions about life in college, anxiety with leaving the nest, and any other issues a young lady transitioning to college may have. I really enjoyed this job, and would absolutely do it again. It was a pleasant workspace at all times, and very encouraging of my collegiate endeavors. The hardest part of the job was the fact that it had to end. once I grew close to all of my co-workers and residents I never wanted the fun to end. But, the fact that all of us attend the same institution made up for this difficult transition, because I was still able to see each of them on a regular basis.
Title IX and Compliance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 27, 2017
Great job with great benefits. There are positions that offer both 12month and 10 month contracts. The enviroment is very collegial and supportive. It is truly a place that is more like a family than work. The benefits are also nice.
Excellent Place to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2017
Excellent culture and environment to work in and change minds everyday. The salary is low to average of market comparison. However, it is a great place to start and enhance your career and provide leadership to the next generation of leaders.
Pros
Excellent culture and environment
Cons
Salary
No room for growth
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2017
No room for growth but the job is really secure. Pay is low but great benefits and lots of time off. I do miss the small close-knit "family" environment.
Pros
time off
Cons
pay
Productive and fun loving environment
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2017
Typical day is reviewing job orders and collaborating with clients and hiring managers on market trends and candidate pool. Creating job responsibilities and requirements.
Spelman College
Keeping It Wild Youth Summit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2017
Spelman College is a great HBCU. Working at the college is wonderful. I enjoyed working with staff and students. I would suggest anyone working for at Spelman.
Supportive and Understanding Workplace Environment
Animal Behavior Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2016
As a student employee, going I was a nervous as to how I would be able to balance my schoolwork as well as...well work work. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. My boss Mrs. Walker was amazingly supportive and understanding and always reminded me that school ALWAYS comes first. They hire a few of us to work in the office so as none of us was ever swamped with duties or tasks. And, as a result, I would often have time to even complete some of my assignments during my shift when of all the assigned work was completed.
Overall, I absolutely loved my job and my experience while there. I only wished I'd discovered the position while I was a freshman because, so many of those amazing women in that office have become my mentors.
Pros
free food, coffee/tea, breaktime, advice
Nice place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2016
Regular 9-5 workday
not much opportunity for growth or promotion
co workers were nice
weekends, holidays and summers off,
overall I enjoyed my time there
Pros
paid summers off depending on department
Cons
sick days & vacation days do not add up fast enough
Fun and Exciting Culture
Area Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2016
Working at a private HBCU was an experience like no other! You are able to make the experience your own and meet some amazing people along the way.
Housing
Housing Administrative Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2016
To obtain a position of responsibility. To utilize my skills in providing excellent customer service, organizing, instructing and being a diligent and skillful employee. To acquire knowledge in the health industry for the future goal of becoming a Nurse midwife.
Don't Do It
Dean of Students (former) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2016
Horrible place to work. No upward advancement. Politics is constantly at 1,000. No recognition of great work. Empty promises from supervisors. Much gossip from the President down to the students. No upper administration accountability. Horrible business practices that fluctuate depending on the circumstance.
Cons
No advancement.
College
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2016
College is college. its a hit or a miss and I loved everyday here from the smallest task to the largest just wish I had money to pay my tuition I would go back for sure.
Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2016
My experience working as a receptionist at Spelman College was an overall successful experience. I was responsible for greeting guest, running errands, and filing paperwork.
Pros
I was able to work on my homework during downtime.
Cons
No health benefits.
Spelman College
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2016
Working for my college has been an awarding experience. I have made life long relationships with the people I have worked with and would recommend anyone to them.
easy, and relaxed setting
Residence Hall Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2016
You sign in the guest of the residence in the building. You are able to do your school work and study. make sure you bring entertainment, the job can get lonely sometimes.
Great learning experience
Health and Wellness Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2015
This internship became a passion of mines. Being at the college and learning the technology to help people and their health issues was extremely insightful. Helping others with their fitness goals and monitoring them along their journey as a supporter was an amazing feeling. I gained new knowledge everyday and solidified what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
Great Culture, Awesome Benefits (Time Off)
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 1, 2015
Great Culture, meet students and teachers from all over the world. There was always something happen different and new.
Pros
Time Off durning the holiday, Great Health and Wellness, Great Culture
Cons
Uncomfortable when express yourself