Spelman College Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2015
Helped learn how to manage time and prioritize. A typical day at work consisted of copying and printing documents, communicating with residents, making phone calls, and maintaining residence halls.
Productive and fun environment
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Free workout equipment, free health education, flexible school and work scheduling
A typical day at work may include signing in students and staff/faculty. While working here I learned various at home and in the gym workouts suitable for all ages. The most enjoyable part of the job were the staff.
Inspirational work place
Data Information Clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2015
The opportunity to work with a group of people that not only supported the students but the employees also made my days a joy.
Productive Company
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta GaFebruary 26, 2015
Enjoyed working for this company. I didn't work there long, it was a temporary assignment. If I was able to work for the company full time I would defiantly go back.
Excellent environment to encourage continuing education
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: tuition reimbursement
Cons: tenure system
Spelman is an excellent academic institution and an excellent employer. As a recruiter, a typical work day included conversations with department heads concerning their staffing needs. Screening resume's and applications through a variety of sources to identify qualified applicants. Scheduling face-to-face interviews, phone interviews, and testing.

The management team was very supportive and the campus is very encouraging for positive growth.
Great cafeteria, awesome wellness program
Executive Housekeeper/President of College (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: i am on my own time schedule, doing my job the way i know it works.
Cons: had to go through process to get items i needed for house.
It has been a great learning experience working for Spelman College. It's a historical Black College, famous people come to the college on a regular basis. I have attended conversations with book authors, met Presidents of other countries,I have watched freshmen girls come in and grow up in four years, ready to go change the world.
My Experience at Spelman College Work-Study
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2015
My job experience as a laboratory assistant was fun. I had a chance to work with other students and to work with many chemicals. I also set-up different laboratories. Working at Spelman College I was able to focus on my homework. I also learn about different chemicals
Spelman College is a great place to work
Financial Aid Dept.- Admin. Assistant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: raises can be small and far in between
I enjoy my job; working with students and others make my work satisfying.
Great institution for new professionals
SR. ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2014
Typical 7 hour work day
Learned management skills and how to think outside the box
Most enjoyable part of the job with completing the logistics for campus events
Best Students to Teach
Spanish/Portuguese Lecturer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2014
The one thing I can say about Spelman is that they have the best students. It was a great teaching experience.
This was a position that fit my skills in every way. Working with the college students on a daily basis and the professors was great.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2014
The days were long and busy, but the work was worth doing. Working with more than 600 students and 20 professors was a monumental task. Being the only administrative person for this office was sometimes overwhelming and challenging, but well worth the time and effort that went with it. The hardest part of the position was maintaining good rapport with the students.
I just love Spelman College
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 2, 2014
Spelman College was an amazing experience, even working their was outstanding!
Excellent Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 27, 2014
I enjoyed working for Spelman, the environment made me feel younger, the campus is beautiful. I would love to work there again.
Interacting with students and faculty is the course of my day...
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaMarch 19, 2014
Innovative, self-driven administrative professional with a demonstrated background in establishing and maintaining relationships with various administrative professionals at all levels. Skilled with over seventeen (17) years of professional administrative experience including presentation management, implementation of educational programs, customer service, recruitment, retention, conflict resolution, composing reports, database administration, spreadsheet, and project planning. Ability to work independently and a self-starter; high sense of urgency and commitment to excellence in the successful achievement of objectives; able to coordinate multiple problems and meet deadlines under pressure and a team player.
Rich historical college
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2013
Pros: great benefits, small campus
Cons: not much around in the surrounding neighborhood
Very interesting. Historically significant for women and the AA community. Rich culture. Excellence. Events are interesting with opportunity to meet experts and well known people.
Challenging and Fun
CHEMISTRY INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: ability to make a positive impact on students' career and educational development.
Cons: wish i could teach there year-round, but there are no summer classes.
I have had the opportunity to teach general chemistry lecture (part 1) and general chemistry laboratory (parts 1 and 2). I have always loved to teach, so this is an ideal job for me. On a daily basis, I typically have a continuous flow of students in my office - some needing help with class, some needing career advice, some needing a letter of recommendation, and many just to say hello. This is one of the fave parts of my job.

Time-management and planning are critical to my job. I work hard to make sure I am providing my students with the most accurate and most current information. get to do teach and mentor bright young minds! I love it! I enjoy preparing the lectures and standing in front of the class. I almost feel like I'm on stage, because I infuse my humorous personality into everything I do.

I get along splendidly with my co-workers. Some, I still have yet to build a relationship, and sometimes that can be frustrating, because I begin to wonder if it's me that's hindering the bonding.

I think the hardest part of my job is the grading, not because it can be time-consuming, but because sometimes I have to give bad grades, and that saddens my heart because I feel like each student is my own child.
Excellent Opportunity to work while attending school
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaJuly 22, 2013
Perfect placement within the educational department of chosen major. Spelman College is a very flexible environment full of opportunity and growth!
Good job.
Textbook Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: nice location.
Cons: the weather
Daily management duties such as (but not limited to) opening and closing. Morning staff meetings to discuss flow and expectations of the day. During this time, associates were able to ask questions. Provide excellent customer service to all customers. Follow corporate directives. Perform Human Resources duties.
Safe environment, productive workplace
Coordinator of Loans, Grants, and Scholarships (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2013
Pros: a sense of empowerment and making history
Cons: career growth opportunities political
The organization's strategy was institutionalized-it is permeate of the organization. Objectives, functional tactics, policies, and compensation represent only the start of the company's long-term strategy implementation. It was a pleasure in making a part of history come true for so many young women of America.
Not a productive company
Education Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2013
Pros: worked with good friends
Cons: management is poor
Sears has lost a lot of good employees, they closed a few of their
stores their top CEO were let go, in a matter of time we will no longer have Sears only for big items.