Spencer's Employee Reviews

life a party
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 25, 2016
well life a party we making it fun was our goal. my co-workers help me with the odds and ends of the store and the people i met on a daliy was filled with exicement
Very challenging and exciting seasonal business
DISTRICT SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 22, 2016
Responsible for build outs and set-up of several stores in my territory. This process first requires being actively involved with property managers when securing a location and lease. Consistently working with Township officials with building, zoning, and miscellaneous permits as are required by the specific Township. Actively recruiting and interviewing applicants for seasonal positions with the company as store managers, assistant managers, and sales associates. Responsible for ongoing training throughout the season. Once all store locations are open and operating, I am responsible for driving sales of soft lines and apparel, with specific focus on store operations, emphasis on sales objectives, implementing payroll budgets, and monitoring shrink. Also responsible for marketing and advertising on a localized basis.
Good Job
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 21, 2016
This is not a bad job but they expect so much out of you as a manager for little pay. Typical work day can be pretty busy; guest service, floor moves, loss prevention, daily/ weekly shipments, training, etc. I have learned how to work as a team, guide employees, and most importantly how to maintain a store.

I would say the hardest part of the job is finding good associates who retain information properly and understand carrying their weight. Once someone gets the job they fell that this is a place to just chill and hang out. They don't understand that this is a business and there are plenty of things to be done. My favorite part of the job is connecting with the guests and especially my co-workers. Long term friendships can be built here.

This is a great company to work for as far as gaining experience and learning different roles as an employee. If you possess the right qualities it is not hard to move up within this company. With that being said you can only move up as far as a Store Manager, after that there is really no position to move up to. I love my job but they just ask too much of you for little to no pay.
It was fun while it lasted
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 14, 2016
Turnover rate was ridiculous, plus they lied to me for about a year about a promotion then gave it to someone who had been there for a month. Management got changed out a lot, most recently uptight as all get out and took everything way too seriously.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
The company is a joke
Fun work place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working with Spencers. I was unable to get full time with benefits but its a great first time job or only job someone can get
Pros
different kinds of customers
Cons
type of merchandise
A novelty shop with diverse client group
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJanuary 2, 2016
Clocking in and a quick walk around to tidy store,discuss goals for the day with management.Throughout the door we answer product questions and answer body modification questions regarding our body jewelry.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
no benefits, no room for promotions, change schedule three times a week
Fun but a busy and demanding work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Spencer's, ILOctober 25, 2015
Spencer's is a fun place to work at, but it is very busy on the weekends and demanding during the holidays. It is a good job to have as part time. My time was either cleaning the store, putting out merchandise, talking to customers, or ringing people up on the register.
Pros
Get to meet new people, fun work place, less strict environment
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Fun environment
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 21, 2015
Impressive customer service standards.
Very open non-judgmental environment where you could really connect with each personality type who came in.
Outstanding new employee training.
It was a great run for a seasonal position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYSeptember 20, 2015
It was alright, most of the time we're undermanned leading to even management to be overworked. My store Had a bit of everything but it was still to small, most of the time we couldn't help them
A day at spencer's
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 10, 2015
In my opinion the staff great! Management could have been a lot better. In our store we barely seen the district manager. The store had a lot of problems that can be fixed and, avoided if they had better management.
Pros
Great job for ages 18-21
Cons
If you do not advance quickly you keep the same min wage pay.
Spencer's is a fun and entertaining place to work. It's a great store with unique merchandise.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJAugust 27, 2015
I truly enjoyed working for Spencer's. Assisting customers find the desired character, band, tv show, movie, or video game themed gifts for their loved ones was a very rewarding experience. My coworkers and I enjoyed creating a fun atmosphere for our guests and providing quality customer service.
Mediocre part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXAugust 5, 2015
The hours weren't that great but your co-workers made the day go by a lot quicker which is always a plus. The regional manager was rude and had unrealistic expectations to be met during inspection of the store.
was an extremly fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 10, 2015
I was just a sales associate but I had a lot of fun most of my employment with them. but once I transferred down to florida all that fun changes my coworkers were rude and my management was unprofessional
productive and enjoyable workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 5, 2015
I enjoyed working at Spencers, very laid back. Good first job to have in high school! Management and coworkers were very cool, the work was easy. Customers were fun to relate to and help find what they needed.
fun enviorment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi TxJune 12, 2015
fast, how to use register, coworkers were amazing , dealing with the GM and his crew from san Antonio they wouldn't send up the plan o gram and would get mad cause we didn't have it to set up the new displays
Pros
discounts
Cons
GM and is crew
Fun work place ith lots of interesting people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2015
I utilized bi-lingual abilities to assist Spanish speaking customers. Provided excellent customer service by greeting each customer as they walked through the door. Reached weekly, monthly and yearly sales goals. Described and demonstrated how inventory worked. Computed sales prices, totaled purchases and received and processed cash or credit payments. Assisted staff members and managers with bi-annual inventory. Watched for and recognized security risks and thefts. I opened and closed cash registers, performed tasks to include counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balanced cash drawers, and made deposits. I helped maintained a clean and organized store.
ok
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 2, 2015
working there was fun and never dull having many types of people coming in looking for new things to buy and try it was quite pleasant to work there
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMay 10, 2015
I worked for Spencer's for over 20 years and learned every aspect of running a small business. I feel that I could use this experience and adapt it to any other company.
Pros
fun merchandise
Cons
customers were mostly teenagers
Fun place to work, always something to accomplish
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 5, 2015
There was always a game plan of what the day consisted of. Structure was great and training for the team was on point. I've learned management skills such as delegation, following up on tasks, allowing the team to be their own individuals and creating idea's to improve the store.
The management was awesome! Very fun to be around and work with. Negative was not in the vocabulary at this company. The co workers where very easy to get along with everyone was diverse as well as open minded.
The hardest part of the job was probably hanging things on the ceilings other then that there wasn't anything hard it was a great place to work. Everyday was enjoyable from trying out new products to setting up new plan o grams.
Pros
Gift cards, bonuses
Cons
climbing with heavy merchandise.
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAMarch 24, 2015
I loved working here. the people were great and the atmosphere was fun. Management is usually very cool to work with. There is a lot of freedom for personal expression.
Pros
personal expression is encouraged
Cons
the pay isn't that great