Spencer Technologies Employee Reviews

A lot of work and travel to many states.
Network Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  West CoastSeptember 20, 2017
Overall Spencer Tech is a good company to work for. They pay top dollar for a Field Engineer. My manger was an excellent supervisor. Fellow Spencer Techs were helpful and knowledgeable.
Pros
Lots of Work
Cons
Too much time on the road and traveling.
Management is lacking
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 24, 2017
Trying to get any of the managers to respond to an issue is next to impossible. Good luck in a real emergency.

I was repeatedly told to violate NFPA regs. It is not uncommon to have to travel for 2 hours or more to do a 1.5 hour job.

Project managers are always under bidding the contract and expect you to cut corners with the customer to make up for it.
Fun Workplace
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 4, 2017
Productive ,Fun and refreshing to work for. Clean environment
honest people. Good pay stable hours and work flow always be prepared for a nice going day
Pros
free awards
Cons
short hour days
temporary position
TECHNICIAN Kforce Staffing Solutions (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAJune 22, 2017
Each day my group handled about 8 stores and swapping out their old point of sale registers with new ones.the work was interesting and gave me a knowledge of the job.
If they asked me to come back to do the same job, I would have to think about it.
One thing I really enjoyed was working with the group of people I started with. They were temps from the same company as me. They made they job bearable
Thank you.
Pros
the pay was very nice
Cons
The work load became almost unbarable as they were trying to meet a deadline in this particular job.
experience technician run
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle Heights, WAJune 17, 2017
Worked for them for a year. Was working 30 to 70 hrs a week and bringing home under $300 a week. Road time is at minimum wage and expect to spend more windshield time than on site time. Also work slows down to not at all from thanksgiving to after new years. The management expects you to think it is ok for you not to have a pay check for 3 months or longer. You get a van to use but getting them to restock it let's put it this way you are not a priority.
Hope this helps
Pros
you get a van and gas card
Cons
the van is a privilege in their eyes. Also lack of work.
Unpredictable and high stress environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  EverywhereJune 5, 2017
Management was very unprofessional. Pay was decent, but raises wouldn't happen for years at a time. No bonus for performance or anything. Lots of travel for unacceptable compensation. Expected to work back-to-back, overnight/daytime shifts that were partially local/partially 2+ hours away consistently.
Pros
Benefits were "okay"
Cons
Compensation for travel. Unreasonable shifts.
Let go after 2 weeks
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, OHMay 1, 2017
I was hired as a permanent employee and then 2-3 weeks ago someone from the company resigned supposedly taking a bunch of clients with him. I was let go. I do not trust this company. Lured in with good pay only to be extremely disappointed.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no formal training, can't trust the company
Fun Work Culture
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, OHApril 4, 2017
Excellent place to grow project management skills. Everyone there was fun to work with. Worked on what you needed and was able to take a break if you needed one at anytime as long as you getting your work completed.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
Job stability
Challenging technology company
Software loading and configuration technician (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 3, 2017
Need to be able to work in a rapidly changing environment with rapidly changing priorities. Work is interesting and deals with technology associated with retail companies and their point of sales and payment systems.
Productive work enviroment
Voice and Data Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit Michigan areaMarch 4, 2017
It is a very fast paced company with a lot of travel time. Also like most companies they are struggling to stay competitive.
One of best companies I ever had the pleasure to work with
RMA COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38118March 1, 2017
Great place to spend 8-5pm of your day

Clock in speak to people laugh some and get to work, they didn't require you to sit down at 8 and start working u had time to speak to co workers and then get to work.

RMA procedures, over the phone etiquette, researching a consistent path investigating the outcome of missing equipment.

Management: Best management ive seen.

workplace culture: Family

Hardest part of job: leaving

The most enjoyable part of the job: payday ofcourse!
Pros
The place is like a family a big family, everyone is friendly and its small where everyone can remember your name.
Cons
Doing your job will not save you from finances making budget cuts, if your a temp you may be laid off in order to balance the budget
Bad culture
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 12, 2017
It started off to be a promising career then politics and nepotism ruined it.
The manager of the warehouse mother was hired to manage her son and the rest of the warehouse. After she fired those that her son did not get along with she was let go within a year.
Pros
Money was solid
Cons
Hired relatives to oversee their own children
Retail IT support services
Lead Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Scheduled work projects in-progress, hard to discern who has accountability. Scopes of work not fully detailed as to what the customer wants to be completed. Seemed that no one knew what the other was there to do. what I learned was how to install Point -of-sales systems which was pretty cool.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
business licensed company but, no Occupational license to do the wiring aspect of the job
The worst company ever
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 5, 2017
This is by far the worst company ever. Do yourself a favor and dont apply. Pay sucks, no kind of support for employees, pm's suck, lack of understanding for work/family life. Overall, just a horrible company thst treats employees like slaves.
Cons
Somewhat of a sweat-shop for IT perople
Project Operations (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MASeptember 30, 2016
Stressful
Constant management intervention
Reacting management culture without researching issues
Virtually no increases or reviews over years of employment
Constant second guessing and no team building or team meetings or one-on-one coaching sessions
Good staff but high turnover and low pay scale
Very long hours, expect project managers to work constantly
Pros
Experience opportunity working with large retail clients
Cons
High stress, low pay, constant intervention, virtually no investment in associates, constant turnover due to business cycles
Spencer Tech
Certified Partner (Current Employee) –  Maui County, HIAugust 23, 2016
I love Spencer Tech, they are very helpful when I need some extra support. My position is on call break fix, I only wished I could get an 9-5 here. I would be making bank.
Pros
Pick and Choose what jobs you want to take, great pay.
Cons
No benefits, and they only call you when stuff breaks.
very unorganized in hiring needs
technician scheduler (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 27, 2016
Was very difficult to learn my everyday objective, was never given or assigned a supervisor to go to. Environment was so extremely tied down, no one individual had time for training me to my duties..
Pros
compensation, employees forthcoming
Cons
very disorganized, was hired for very short time frame
Friendly enviroment
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 16, 2016
I like to go to work. Co-workers are really friendly and help out when needed. Typical day at work, start the computer and start answering requests from customer, setting up ticket calls to dispatch technicians.
Project Management prospective
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 13, 2016
Spencer Technologies has a lot of potential to be a great IT solutions company yet fails short to the competition due to poor upper management. Their is no processes or SOP in place to hold people accountable. It wouldn't matter anyways because the people 'in charge" gives in when the clients don't want to pay justifiable overages and money goes out the door. Then the employees are constantly being harped on that the company isn't meeting the forecasted goals. No matter what - we lose. Upper management is not willing to change or take advice to improve the company.

The project managers do whatever it takes to meet their customer needs but are never recognized by management.The project management team members are among the hardest working people in this company and are under paid and over worked. 60 + hour weeks are not uncommon although salaries are under national averages. Paid overtime is never approved and bonuses are never given.
There is little to no room for advancement.

There is high employee turnover because they are treated so poorly. The company loses really great PM's because they fail to recognize their dedication and hard work. The PM's will try to stick it out for the sake of their customers for as long as they can but end up getting fed up and burnt out and leave to work for companies who treat them with respect and dignity. If the company made internal changes and improved their standards, Spencer Technologies could be a great company and ultimately earn more business if they kept employees happy.
Pros
coworkers, learning experience, can work remotely
Cons
no morale, high hours and no paid overtime, low pay, poor management, no room for growth or advancement
A job for a person who loves to travel.
IT/Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Southe Eastern, USFebruary 11, 2016
I enjoyed the workload, however it is a very travel oriented company. It has great clients worldwide. If you enjoy to travel constantly and have little home time this is a perfect company for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9