SPi Healthcare

SPi Healthcare Employer Reviews

It is what it is!
Data Entry/Paper Pusher (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 21, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: pay is a joke!
While acquiring essential office skills, there is little more that this company provides. The pay is horrible, (I was there nearly 7 years and only made a bit over a dollar more when I left than when I started). Too many cliques, too many management changes, too much instability. There is no room for career advancement at all. I have a lot more I could – more... say but it gets my blood boiling. – less
Coding Department needs qualified experienced managers
Coder (Former Employee), RemoteMarch 16, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: poor management and pay
I worked at SPi for almost 5 years. Everything was great until the second corporate buy-out. The new management team in the coding department was not good at setting policies and procedures for coding department. Continuing education was no longer provided on a regular basis. The communication flow was fragmented and management liked to nit pick email – more... communication despite them not being the best communicators themselves. They offered little to no guidance on coding issues and consistently hired inexperienced staff which further complicated work matters. The company has a lot of issues that stem from the VP of HIM. Compliance was not key. Google: "SPi lawsuit" to get a glimpse of how non-compliant they were with a previous client and are with current clients. There only concern is acquiring more clients without having the proper staff in place to accommodate their needs. This explains why they lost 4 pro fee auditors in just 3 weeks! They all quit. Currently they have countless job listings for unsuspecting job seekers for the coding department alone. High turnover rate. The current management all need to be terminated and replaced with qualified and educated coding managers (bachelor degree or more) to take over operations. Beware of SPi for revenue cycle management needs!!!! – less
A productivity driven workplace with little concern for employees
Refund Analyst (Current Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and easy to take time off
Cons: my position within the company may not be around much longer
A typical day at work involves analyzing credits on patient accounts. The steps to figure out the cause of the credits include comparing the credits to past trends, speaking with the insurance company to decide what caused the overpayment, and speaking with patients to get the correct coordination of benefits.

Before my current position, I had no medical – more... background. I now have a greater understanding of the medical billing process, as well as how to read and understand explanation of benefits and coding of claims.

The management has a lot of pressure to put out high numbers. While this is a great goal, they aren't really concerned with fixing the problems as a whole. They are focused on the small picture and don't take the employees suggestions seriously.

Most of my co-workers are easy to get along with. While there will always be the ones who stir the pot, I try to avoid the workplace drama. A lot of my co-workers don't have college degrees, so they are content with jobs that have no option of advancement.

The hardest part of this job is working the older accounts. Most insurance companies don't keep claim information on file for longer than 18-24 months. Anything we have older than that takes a lot of investigation. Sometimes these can take a couple of days to figure out. Since we are so driven by numbers, a lot of times working these accounts keep us from meeting productivity requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job goes hand in hand with the hardest. While the accounts that take a long time are tough, it is very rewarding to be able to get these older accounts off of the books. It is satisfying to know the hard work I've put into something actually solved an issue. – less
FUN PLACE TO WORK
COLLECTIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILNovember 7, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: no pension plan
NOT MUCH OPPORTUNITY FOR ADVANCEMENT,FRIENDLY COWORKERS
Good office experience
DATA ENTRY REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Springfield, ILSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: great schedule with work and life balance
Cons: not so great pay compared to other companies that do the same line of work.
This was my first job in an "office" environment with a Monday-Friday schedule. Overall easy work, non-stressful and great managers in my department.
ok place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 22, 2013
Pros: learned new kind of software
Cons: orgainzation was not good
no organization, but I worked at a fast pace , loved that part of it, like learning new software
Repetitive work. Bad working environment
Biller (Former Employee), Tinley ParkAugust 19, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: antiquated tinley office.
First time working at a billing agency and this place made me stay away from working at billing agency again. No opportunity to learn new material. Just claim after claim of repetitive tasking. Their building in Tinley Park is like a warehouse converted office space. Very claustrophobic. Sometimes very warm, then the next day freezing.
n/a
Managed Care Claim Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 14, 2013
Good place to work, good management, good people, the hours were very flexible and the pay was good. It wasn't a hard job at all, very easy, but demanding productivity.
productive and competetive workplace
payment posting specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, ILAugust 14, 2013
i've enjoyed the learning of the medical payment posting process and the workload keeps me constantly busy and striving to do more everyday.
SPI Healthcare is an average place of employment
Data Entry (Former Employee), Skokie, ILJuly 23, 2013
I would go in to work count my batches separate them then add the in-patient out-patient on each voucher. I learned how to tell if a case was cosmetic then also how to calculate the time and prices for the cosmetic cases. the management was good if I needed anything I was always able to contact them and they would guide me. the coworkers were all friendly – more... and helpful. the hardest part of my job was learning the cosmetic cases but after it was learned it was a breeze. – less
By the the worst employer I have worked for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILJuly 16, 2013
Cons: short breaks, improper training, managment plays favorites
The training was terrible no structure at all, we jumped around from topic to topic. I have never worked with a company and not been given a raise after a year; The excuse was that I had not been there long enough. I went on maternity leave and had some complications after giving birth and was not able to return to work on the scheduled date and the – more... company did not hold my position. I have nothing good to say about this place – less
Not a very nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tinley Park, ILJuly 13, 2013
Cons: everything
You have to be part of certain group in order to move up, you don't even have to know what you are doing to be a team lead
Undergoing structural changes- formerly a nice place to work
Customer Service Team Lead (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILMay 9, 2013
Not a lot of positive things to say as a workplace. Formerly part of the Customer Service department which is always undergoing structural changes. Due to those changes, the department continues to suffer from disorganization.
ok place to work
Medical Biller (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILApril 28, 2013
good benefits, good bosses. Focused more on numbers than quality work. good pay and bonuses.
Production-Driven
Third Party Follow-Up Representative (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 9, 2013
Pros: casual attire. periodic company-sponsored social events
Cons: fewer benefits than the hospital had. rigid, no-flex time
Workqueues are reviewed and individual invoices assessed for denials/errors. Claims adjusted and refiled when possible, or they're sent to the appropriate dept for resolution.

I've learned a lot of Medicaid denials that I didn't know before and figured out (sometimes on my own) what the Medicaid office was looking for in order to process the claim. – more... I also learned that third party follow up was a whole different breed from just working follow up directly, employed by hospital or doctor's office. It's difficult to not have the freedom to pick up a phone and call someone at the hospital for assistance.

Management is overall very knowledgeable. Theirs seems to be a high-stress job, and most of the management I've met seem to have long hours.

My coworkers and I feel like a family. We've learned to love one another and lean on one another, not just as far as work is concerned but in general during some real upheavals in the feeling of job security.

The hardest part of the job is determining what the insurance company (Medicaid in my case) denied for. Although we've requested it repeatedly, the cash posters do not post the actual denial when posting from the remittance, instead just using a generic one that basically means nothing to us. Therefore, we have to basically go search for every remittance. This wouldn't be that difficult except that we have many providers, and Medicaid often processes under the wrong provider number. We have to have the provider number they processed under (again, cash posting that number would help), and it turns into a very time consuming guessing game.

The most enjoyable part of the job is surprisingly the job itself. Despite its frustrations with not having information we need and often having our hands tied by simple politics of the work/hospital relationship, I enjoy the work itself. I gain great satisfaction when I'm able to overcome the obstacles and still do my job well. – less
Payment Operations Associate - Level 2 (Current Employee), Springfield, ILFebruary 4, 2013
This is a great place to work if you like a fast pace work place and are able to multi task.
Productive and fun place to work
Third Party Follow-Up Representative (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: self-paced, casual dress code, flexible working hours
Cons: not much overtime offered
Friendly co-workers, and self-paced enviroment. Love having casual dress code. Love the flexible working hours. Benefits are very good.
Fun Workplace
Physician Billing (Current Employee), Tinley Park, ILAugust 16, 2012
Pros: short commute
Cons: low salary
The hardest part of the job is the constant training of new employees. The most enjoyable is actually doing physician billing.
No organization or communication
Payment Poster (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 12, 2012
Pros: being able to enhance my computer skill
Cons: no formal training, no reliability from management, no communication, no room for advancement
A typical day was just shifting different things to do, what you may have been told yesterday, was changed before you came in the next day. The position did help my computer skills. I really dont believe there was management..it was unbelievable!! The co-workers..well it was like being in High School all over again. The hardest part of the job was getting – more... accurate training for the job. The most enjoyable part would be the enhancement of computer skills. – less
fast paced, high energy.
Medical Biller/ Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tinley Park, ILJune 2, 2012
Pros: very busy
Cons: not nearly enough pay
The days go by very fast, lots of work. A lot of experience with epic and idx software. Co-workers are varied. Hardest part of the job is talking to patients everyday. Most enjoyable is how fast the weeks go by.

About SPi Healthcare

SPi Healthcare (formerly Springfield Service Corporation and Laguna Medical Systems) is the industry's leading integrated revenue – Read more