SPi Healthcare Employee Reviews

refunds
Refund Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 20, 2017
This was a quiet desk job, refund claims that were paid incorrectly by insurance companies. Lots of time spend calling insurance companies trying to untangle the mess of payments.
Good mentorship
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 1, 2017
There was room for advancement and the ability to work with many different levels of management. Working with various clients across the United States was a great experience.
good pay
Third part follow up (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 5, 2015
management has no idea about revenue cycle management. pay was decent a lot of overtime hours. theere was alot of micromanaging
Okay company in Greensboro
Customer Service Rep, Billing analyst (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 29, 2015
Not much room for advancement, everyone very nice, friendly. A very young group.

Working here was very fulfilling by helping patients and their issues
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
only 30 min lunches
Wonderful Company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  SpringfieldJune 6, 2015
They were all so nice and helpful. They do wonderful things for their employees. The building is very well protected and monitored through the receptionist at the front door. Everyone is so welcome and inviting.
Lost of turnover
Analyst and Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 9, 2015
Constant management turnover with constant new ideas coming into the department without much implementation. Coworkers mostly friendly and helpful
Pros
Lots of turnover
Cons
Decent wage
Dont do it!!!!
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield IllinoisDecember 6, 2014
I just left this job and I imagine this is my recent position. I would not recommended this place as the benefits are changing and there is only one health care plan which for a single person was just outrageous!!! You are to sit at your desk and answer incoming calls for different clients which is fine but they do not train you as they promised during the hiring process. They also changed our hours in less than 24 hours. You are not allowed to stand up which is hard to sit 8 hours and not be able to at least stand in place. They will have you do one thing g one way today and then change it tomorrow because they feel like it. Nothing is consistent so be careful!!!! If management does not like you they will find away to release you. They did this with one rep who was bilingual & was asking questions about the procedures. The management asked him 3 or 4 times if he knew how to read. Rude! And unprofessional! He felt disrespected & eventually walked out as he felt he could not go to management since they were the ones doing it. This place is not what it's cracked up to be since the customer service department opened in Springfield in May until now (Dec 5th) 8 people have walked out, or quit. That tells you something.
Pros
dumb gifts (Fake flowers)???
Cons
policy changes every day, high benefit premiums, can't keep employees disrespectful management
Dead end
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 8, 2014
Hours and benefits good. Management rude and not knowledgeable of various client protocols. Promotions are not based on your work ethic or knowledge but based on who you know. Company has a high turnover rate. Company has inadequate training for all employees.
Pros
benefits and hours
Cons
poor management
Could Have Been Better
Misc (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 28, 2014
The job started off great and had good potential. But after settling and getting to know those around me, this wasn't the job for me. I tried my hardest everyday, never later and never left early. But still wasn't good enough. Management was rude and no one had the slightest clue how to treat people. I was talked down to on a daily basis and showed no respect. Management would talk negative about me and I could hear them. They would act as though I was doing great, but 5 seconds later I would hear them talking about me. Everyday I would come thinking when are they going to get rid of me and after a month of thinking like that, they did. The best part of my job was getting to go home. The benefits of the job were great and they were very giving with prizes. But the turnover ratio is horrible at this job. At least 5 people a week quit and 5 more were always hired the following week. I truly think they don't know how to keep people.
Benefits
Cons
short breaks, rude management
Loved the work load
Follow Up Associate/Third Party Billing (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILAugust 28, 2014
On a typical day I punched in at 9am and log in working on a workque dealing with insurance denials, registration and demographics entered incorrectly for patients.
I will then resubmit electronically or thru mail.

I also had 2 other WQ's that dealt with secondary and generic payors.

My coworkers were excellent to work with and were very helpful whenever I got stuck or needed help with an account.
I loved the hours 8:45-4;45.
There really was no hard part about the job. I liked what I did.
Management was good too. The two managers that were available were always willing to help.
Stay away: dead end job.
Cash Applications (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 21, 2014
This place was a great place to work until a management shift. The management team now knows nothing about the job and the team is suffering. Time off is not approved and you are made to feel like dirt if you can't work the overtime. Pay stinks. Benefits stink. Atmosphere stinks. Okay place to work if you just need a name to put on your resume... but no opportunity to go any where with this company. The management team is also terrible with follow through. They always have an excuse why something didn't get done and they refuse to ask for help even if they have no clue what to do... which is 99% of the time. This company needs to clean out their management staff and start again or I give this company another year to keep their heads above water... tops.
Pros
a name on your resume, a paycheck. ..albeit a lousy one
Cons
All starts with management. .. or should I say micro management.
It is what it is!
Data Entry/Paper Pusher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 21, 2014
While acquiring essential office skills, there is little more that this company provides. The pay is horrible, (I was there nearly 7 years and only made a bit over a dollar more when I left than when I started). Too many cliques, too many management changes, too much instability. There is no room for career advancement at all. I have a lot more I could say but it gets my blood boiling.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay is a joke!
Coding Department needs qualified experienced managers
Coder (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 16, 2014
I worked at SPi for almost 5 years. Everything was great until the second corporate buy-out. The new management team in the coding department was not good at setting policies and procedures for coding department. Continuing education was no longer provided on a regular basis. The communication flow was fragmented and management liked to nit pick email communication despite them not being the best communicators themselves. They offered little to no guidance on coding issues and consistently hired inexperienced staff which further complicated work matters. The company has a lot of issues that stem from the VP of HIM. Compliance was not key. Google: "SPi lawsuit" to get a glimpse of how non-compliant they were with a previous client and are with current clients. There only concern is acquiring more clients without having the proper staff in place to accommodate their needs. This explains why they lost 4 pro fee auditors in just 3 weeks! They all quit. Currently they have countless job listings for unsuspecting job seekers for the coding department alone. High turnover rate. The current management all need to be terminated and replaced with qualified and educated coding managers (bachelor degree or more) to take over operations. Beware of SPi for revenue cycle management needs!!!!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor management and pay
A productivity driven workplace with little concern for employees
Refund Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day at work involves analyzing credits on patient accounts. The steps to figure out the cause of the credits include comparing the credits to past trends, speaking with the insurance company to decide what caused the overpayment, and speaking with patients to get the correct coordination of benefits.

Before my current position, I had no medical background. I now have a greater understanding of the medical billing process, as well as how to read and understand explanation of benefits and coding of claims.

The management has a lot of pressure to put out high numbers. While this is a great goal, they aren't really concerned with fixing the problems as a whole. They are focused on the small picture and don't take the employees suggestions seriously.

Most of my co-workers are easy to get along with. While there will always be the ones who stir the pot, I try to avoid the workplace drama. A lot of my co-workers don't have college degrees, so they are content with jobs that have no option of advancement.

The hardest part of this job is working the older accounts. Most insurance companies don't keep claim information on file for longer than 18-24 months. Anything we have older than that takes a lot of investigation. Sometimes these can take a couple of days to figure out. Since we are so driven by numbers, a lot of times working these accounts keep us from meeting productivity requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job goes hand in hand with the hardest. While the accounts that take a long time are tough, it is very rewarding to be able to get these
  more... older accounts off of the books. It is satisfying to know the hard work I've put into something actually solved an issue.  less
Pros
Flexible schedule and easy to take time off
Cons
My position within the company may not be around much longer
Fun place to work
COLLECTIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILNovember 7, 2013
Not much opportunity for advancement,friendly coworkers
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
No pension plan
Good office experience
DATA ENTRY REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 3, 2013
This was my first job in an "office" environment with a Monday-Friday schedule. Overall easy work, non-stressful and great managers in my department.
Pros
Great schedule with work and life balance
Cons
Not so great pay compared to other companies that do the same line of work.
ok place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 22, 2013
no organization, but I worked at a fast pace , loved that part of it, like learning new software
Pros
learned new kind of software
Cons
orgainzation was not good
Repetitive work. Bad working environment
Biller (Former Employee) –  Tinley ParkAugust 19, 2013
First time working at a billing agency and this place made me stay away from working at billing agency again. No opportunity to learn new material. Just claim after claim of repetitive tasking. Their building in Tinley Park is like a warehouse converted office space. Very claustrophobic. Sometimes very warm, then the next day freezing.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Antiquated Tinley office.
n/a
Managed Care Claim Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 14, 2013
Good place to work, good management, good people, the hours were very flexible and the pay was good. It wasn't a hard job at all, very easy, but demanding productivity.
productive and competetive workplace
payment posting specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 14, 2013
i've enjoyed the learning of the medical payment posting process and the workload keeps me constantly busy and striving to do more everyday.