Spirit AeroSystems Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to develop skills and move on
Structural Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 7, 2016
Spirit is a good place to start a career or a good place to stay for a few years to develop skills and move on. The company is a world class Aerospace structures supplier so there is good experience to pick up and knowledgeable people to learn from while working on new airplanes.

The downside however is that the company is way too reliant on Boeing work and most of the employees still think that they work for Boeing which limits opportunities to diversify work. Management is also extremely shortsighted, focusing on immediate cash flow by constantly cutting costs on the facilities, benefits and research and development. The result is a culture where most of the employees are unhappy and innovation is stifled. This leads to the future looking pretty bleak.
Great company to work for
Systems and Payload Team Lead - 787 Program (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 28, 2016
I have worked for Spirit Aerosystems for roughly three-years and really enjoy the people I work with and work for. Although I am a Team Lead, I really want to move into Non-Destructive Testing, but there are very few positions available at this time. I have to leave, but I also want to pursue an opportunity in NDI and use my education.
Pros
Great work environment, great people, and excellent benefits.
Cons
Limited positions in NDI - no room for advancement
Great company
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 9, 2016
This has been one of the best jobs I have had, management is willing to help you succeed in your daily requirments. Most employees try their hardest to do their job correctly. It is hard to move up in the company but all in all good place to work
Pros
medical benifits
Cons
advancement oportunities
Company Trying to find their own Identity
Structural Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 2, 2015
There were issues at time with leadership, but overall all of us in the workforce felt we could trust our management, even though the company was going from a transition from being and OEM to being a Tier 1 supplier. Many people from the old days hated to see changes, but I saw them as necessary and good for the health of the company and the security of my job.

The culture was pleasant with many nice people. There were layoffs during my time there, but I felt they were fair and there wasn't anger or negativity surrounding these tough times like I have experienced with other companies. Compensation was very good for the state of Kansas.
Pros
Nice people, trustworthy managers, technically challenging work
Cons
Very large campus with high travel times to meetings, constant pressure to meet budget
Quality Engineer/ Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 2, 2016
Very friendly employees, good benefits
the work is busy at times but i love working in a fast environment,
the co workers at spirit is very friendly and kind for the most part. i have enjoyed my time at spirit aerospace when i was an employee.
Productive and fun work environment
Assembly Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 13, 2016
All around good place to work very good benefits. Worked on the assembly of the plane. Management was superb. I learned a lot from this company. Hardest part was going through the transition and not getting parts on arrival. Watching build the fuselage of the planes
Great workplace, with great compensation and benefits.
PROCESS MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 8, 2015
At Spirit AeroSystems there's no doubt that you work hard. On an average work day you walk a lot, sweat, and do great amounts of physical activity. However your hard work is definitely worth the pay and benefits. Most of the managers are good people and treat everyone respectfully, Co-workers are like anywhere else. Some are easy to work with and some are not. It's a large place with many people. The hardest part of the job is just having to be on second shift starting out if you have a family to take care of. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your hard work flying.
Largest employer in the state
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 14, 2016
Largest employer in the state of Kansas. Strong supporter of the community. Employees are encouraged to become involved in community activities.
Pros
Great benefits
challange
First Level Manager, Major Assembly (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 5, 2016
Overall, the daily challenge is to do what is expected of us as managers, and to relay this information and expectations to the mechanics. Some challenges are capable of being met, others are going to be extremely difficult, and a few will not be obtainable.
Pros
health benefits, and 401K
Company Overview
Supply Chain - Supplier Management & Procurement (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 19, 2016
Spirit AeroSystems overall is a good place to work with the ability to be apart of a company that builds extraordinary products, such as the aircrafts it does.
Pros
Good benefits.
Not to bad of a place to work
Composite Bonder (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 30, 2016
Had very good co-workers & supervisors. Loved what I do. To bad I`m getting laid off at the end of Feb. 2016. I was hoping to retire from here.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
short breaks
Overall Great Company
Financial Business & Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 2, 2015
Overall, very happy with my experience at Spirit Aerosystems, Great teamwork in every department and enjoyed work interactions. Quarterly reporting periods became very intense, with some overtime expected. There was frustration with some lack of communications, which did occasionly require rework or project completion delay. I did look forward to working in a great teamwork environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of 100% communications
Interesting place to work.
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 14, 2015
Spirit AeroSystems is a large company with many positions and opportunities for job position changes and advancement.. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and always meeting and working with new people. Executive management changed frequently though. The benefits were nice as with most large companies.
Pros
Benefits, Immediate supervisors and co-workers fun to work with
Cons
Frequent changes in executive management and many layoffs
Pretty good place to work
Sheetmetal Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 17, 2015
Spirit is a decent place to work. Co-workers are enjoyable and help each other. Politics can get in the way of being completely effective.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
short breaks, management isnt clear on company goals
Great Company to work for.
Assembly Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 25, 2015
Overall a good place to be employed. Only complaints would be management structure is poor due to constantly changing mangers around. Also we do not receive the tools we need to complete our work and are often told to "find a way to finish it" And my biggest complaint is that after i finished my degree and started to look into moving up within my company, i found that they did provide any opportunities or guidance to move up. But other than that the work and people are enjoyable to work with and the benefits the company offers are outstanding.
Pros
Benefits, Job security
Cons
management, advancement opportunities
s
650D Structure Mechanic - FOD Focal - Union Focal (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 20, 2015
good overtime and money, good place for benefits and job security. not good for career advancement and the union only helps the not so well rounded employees keep jobs
Working for Spirit Aerosystems was fine
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 31, 2016
Typical day started with review and respond to emails.
I would pull reports out of SAP, analyze, create reports, working with managers to understand how they are spending their budget.
I learned how to analyze details, and create reports, and work with others. I learned how to use analyze software, and SAP
The management is not well trained
My co-worker were helpful and hard working
The hardest part of the job was working with my manager
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co-workers
Pros
Great benafits
Cons
Poor management
Spirit AeroSystems
Program Management Generalist - Airbus Programs (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 17, 2016
I was busy and did what was required of me, meeting all deadlines, etc. Spirit is in the process of doing a Retention exercise and changing the job codes, which will allow them to lay-off employees. I learned some positive things about program management; however, I also learned that it's really more important to work with people who respect you and support you, no matter what you do. I made some good friends working there - almost like family and I looked forward to seeing them each day. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when you would no longer be needed and watching the incompetence of the leadership.
Pros
Healthcare, pay
Cons
Management; negative company culture
stressful and low quality
assembly (Current Employee) –  wichitaAugust 12, 2015
My experience has been an overall sorry company to work for.Was put on a new project and was rushed thru with no training and no management insight.Worst of all we were not given any tools they said they were on order and that was 7 months ago.Very sad supervisors and an I don't care attitude Low worker moral and forced to work long hours
benefits
Cons
sorry management
Staying Competive
Composite Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 19, 2016
Management at Spirit is not like the Management that Boeing had. Most Managers at Spirit have worked a little bit on the floor as a worker or they do not have experience at all. Some of them have been in the shops for a year or so and still have no idea what is going on. Most of them leave the workers to solve issues within
the shop. Managers are quite hard to find sometimes, when there are problems.

Managers need to coordinate more with employees and get more involved as to any problems that arise, so they can be more familiar with the shop.
Pros
Great pay, good benefits
Cons
Needs improvement within the company

2.9