Spirit Halloween Super Store Employee Reviews

Fun enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 12, 2016
This was a fast paced job that was fun to work for. The culture was fun and friendly and so was the atmosphere. A typical work day included ringing up the customers and putting out new inventory. The people were friendly and the management was helpful in many ways. I enjoyed helping the customers and learning about the products that were available for purchase.
Productive, Fun and great place to work, great boss
Customer Service, Cashier.retail associate (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 13, 2016
typical day at the halloween store would start off slow then by afternoon we would get customer coming in for costumes.
I learned how to set up a store for buisness, how to do a wall display. The management where awesome they made you feel good about the work you done, helpful and was always working right along with us. I enjoyed working with my co workers we pulled together as a team to get the job done.
I didnt think it was hard and any job could be, you just show your employer that he made the right choice in hiring you. most enjoyable was helping the customers choose their costumes and seeing how they look.
Pros
Donuts and coffee in the morning
Cons
they are open only for seasonal
very productive and fun work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 15, 2015
I would do all managerial Duties,merchandise ,process freight, manage and train all new hires in variety of positions. I have been in lower management in past and I wanted to challenge myself by running the entire show. The hardest part of the job was the long hours. Although only required to work min 44 hrs week I put in 72. I wanted to make sure employees were trained properly and guest were getting the customer service they expected and more. My crew was a blessing they all pulled together and did everything that was asked of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. I loved the fact that our customer service was meeting their expectations and we were able to fulfill their needs for the current holiday.
Pros
fun place to work
Unable to help
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXJuly 11, 2016
Parents would scare their toddlers and you're unable to help the toddlers its apart of the expected customer experience. Things would have been fine aside from that. They say that Spirit is all about the kids, but if you're going to have children terrified of Halloween for the rest of their lives, terrified to walk into that store, all because their parents expect to be able to terrorize their kids with no one from the store saying, "hey stop" or "no running we're not responsible for any injuries you endure while acting like a jerk in our store" that isn't the kind of business I can back no matter how much I'm paid. All this store does is contribute to the thousands of kids every year that are terrified for Halloween season to roll around because it will just encourage their parents to treat them like dirt.
Pros
Pay, hours, learning the retail experience from start to finish
Cons
Adverse environment, terrible customer/employee in store experience
terrible management, like to spy on employees
ASM (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 29, 2016
I worked as an asm for spirit for not even a month. It's a fun job but communication from upper management to lower is awful. They expect you to know everything with little to no training . Also there were no cameras in my store, I never stole anything or did anything wrong but found out that loss prevention installed cameras to spy on employees. I only found this out because lp came to my store, interrogated me , told me I didn't work hard enough, then put me on a week long suspension to evaluate my performance. Needless to say don't work here unless you like being spied on and then fired for bulls hit reasons.
Pros
literally nothing
Cons
everything
I did not enjoy my experience here at all
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAJune 29, 2016
my manager was rude and not understanding of my tight schedule while in college. i was not trained properly on how to do a majority of important things for the store to function. i was not taught about how to handle or explain props set up for display. i was not taught how to deal with unsatisfied customers. i was not shown how to use the cash registers properly and was often left with no guidance around. the job would have been a wonderful experience, but from the beginning, my manager was not able to take on his position and it resulted in my failure to do a good job at this workplace, as well as a major hinder on my way to gain proper sales associate experience.
Pros
none that i can think of
Cons
almost everything
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glen BurnieOctober 19, 2015
Workers who assume Spirit Halloween jobs must present highly personable and friendly attitudes during the hiring process. The ability to multitask in fast-paced settings often benefits prospective employees. Job hopefuls must also exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a team. The temporary nature of operations associated with the seasonal retailer often requires employees to work quickly and simultaneously maintain efficiency. Deadlines often stand in place for both ongoing and remedial tasks assigned by managers for entry-level workers to complete, with management typically operating under similar deadlines imposed by the company corporate parent
Pros
Free lunches, snacks
Cons
working with a lot of females can be an issue.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJJune 8, 2016
I always looked forward to my typical day at work because my coworkers were friendly and almost always got along. I learned about merchandising and up selling, which were valuable lessons. The management was fair and firm, and being promoted was a dream come true. The hardest part of the job will always be taking care of an unhappy customer, but with the help of my cheerful team, the customer would always leave feeling a little bit better. The most enjoyable part my job was spending time supervising my coworkers and getting a productive amount of work done. Spirit Halloween will always hold a special place in my heart as I learn and grow.
Pros
Atmosphere, great teamwork, fair management
Cons
Difficult customers as Halloween got closer (unavoidable)
Fast paced and very fun job!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 21, 2016
First I'll say that I have nothing bad to say about management, I was after all the Store Manager, and I've never had a supervisor as positive and goal oriented as the Supervisor I worked for at Spirit. Helping customers daily was always fun, helping them choose what to be for Halloween or assisting them with selecting accessories for their costumes was both challenging and fun. I'd have to say the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to demonstrate the merchandise in various ways for customers, Though an easy second was being able to participate in the Spirit of Children charity and raising funds for the children in the hospital, It was a genuinely heart warming and rewarding experience. Overall, Spirit was probably the funnest job I've ever had and it only saddens me that it was a seasonal position.
Pros
Super fun work environment
Cons
Seasonal Employment
A fun and competitive place to work!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHMay 20, 2016
I enjoyed coming into work while working at Spirit Halloween. I enjoyed my co-workers, and also the customers. I have a passion for Halloween and it is my favorite holiday and if I could then I'd celebrate it all year, every year. It was the best experience that I have had working in retail. I would love to join Spirit Halloweens employment team again. I loved working there and there really wasn't anything hard about the job, but I do love a challenge. The management was slacking at first with managers coming and going throughout the season, and although I was hired as an associate, one week after starting I was promoted to store manager and I spent all of my waking time at the store because I loved it so much, and it really was my second home, if not my first according to my friends and family.
Pros
a challenging store to work in, very friendly.
Cons
healthcare benefits

Want to know more about Spirit Halloween Super Store?

Ask a question
No training
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocoee, FLAugust 9, 2016
My review is more on the district managers lack of training but also the companies unachievable goals. Took a job as a manager position and on day one there is no training, just unloading of containers without help. A manager is expected to unload product, put up a store and hire 15 employees without any training of their processes - you are shown once and expected to get it. Managers are expected to hire, train, have store set up within 7 days. When you receive over 1000 boxes in one day and only essentially 6 people to unload and stack in store with only dollies - its a cluster. No direction, no firm understanding of how a store should really be put together because there is no real floor plan. More important for manager to look at emails than to put a floor together- thats ridiculous.
Very disappointed in a company run by Spencer Gifts - expected more. No wonder their turnover and return rate is low and that their damages and shrink is high. Pay for manager is awful for work expected - no overtime but expected to work 44 plus hours. No weekends off for three months.
Pros
Always busy, once open could be fun
Cons
No direction, training, unachievable goals
Fun place to work, higher management not so
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, PASeptember 21, 2016
I was promoted within 2 weeks due to my hard work and love of the job. They were aware that i had little management experience, and kind of just threw me into it without much guidance . I loved the job, and i was very good at it. I taught myself, as well as caught on to the minimum amount of instructions I was given. Definitely loved the position I held and the responsibilities, just wish I was trained a little bit more.
Pros
pay, management experience, learning experience
Cons
seasonal, employees, DM
Productive and ever changing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 8, 2016
I learned basic retail skills during the two months at this seasonal job. Management was very put together even though we were understaffed the entire season. My coworkers were very kind and helpful. A typical day at work would be walking the store to clean up messy aisles, taking a shift at the dressing room, working register to calm the extending line. I did close the store with management on rare occasions.
Pros
accepting, unbiased hiring
Cons
seasonal job, unfinished floors
Fun fast paced seasonal job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 17, 2016
My typical day would start with opening the store and checking corporate messages. I've learned responsibility from this job because I had to be in control when I was the only manager around. Management wasn't too great, late, and lazy. My employees were helpful and dedicated to what they came to work to do. Hardest part of the job was being the only manager on duty while we were understaffed and extremely busy. The most enjoyable part of this job was the knowledge I got to leave with.
It was a stressful job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roy, UTFebruary 28, 2016
It was complicated because we had so much to do in so little time. The management was amazing because since we only had a few months there we had to treat the customers amazing so they want to come back next year and our management staff took that very seriously. We really cared about costumers.
Pros
The limited time helped me become more efficient
Cons
If you are not a fast worker, this is not the job for you
Superb Employer for advancement
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 3, 2016
Although a seasonal position this is a superb company to work for. Training was outstanding as well as room for advancement. This is not a job for those who don't want to work many hours. Since you control the destiny of your district and the outcome of those projection it requires diligence, attention to detail, exceptional customer and employee relations in effort to be the most successful district as possible. This was an amazing experience.
Good Seasonal work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 5, 2016
Since Spirit Halloween is seasonal, there is no real "job security" but I moved up through management positions and worked four seasons in a row. I had great management that I felt I could turn to and learn from. From working occasionally at other stores, I know good management is not always the case. My experience, however, was good. It is a very fun place to work and you get to know everyone you work with quite well.
Pros
Good part-time/seasonal work, Fun work enviornment
Cons
Uneven work schedules, sometimes poor/difficult management, hard dealing with theft
Fun work place!!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 13, 2015
Opening the store was always easy minus the security system. It was great but the delay always got me. Working for Spirit I learned how to be a manager and how to handle many things such as how to setup a store, breakdown a store, unload and load trucks.
The management was great, always there to help you.
I enjoyed my coworkers.
We all learned how each of us work best and we would go with that. We learned how to be more than a team but a family.
Hardest part was definitely the setup. Unloading trucks was bad only because our store ALWAYS packed ours very tight, organized and well. And lots of stores weren't so organized.
I love Halloween.
They do this thing called Spirit Of The Children, and that touches home for me because I know a little boy who practically lives in a hospital.
Pros
You get to meet new people, awesome atmosphere.
Cons
Its only seasonal
Love working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 25, 2016
A typical day in Spirit:
Come in and organize the store before the unlocking of the doors.
Ask customers how you can help them, show them to the right corners of the store.
Calling other stores to ask if they have an item that your store doesn't at the time and put on hold for customer.
Organizing more.
Help more customers.
Organize while closing.
Go home.
Doesn't sound too exciting but it is fun!
Pros
Cons
Having to work on Halloween nights
A great idea for a college town
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALAugust 25, 2016
No seasonal job is job security but your work ethics and your attitude goes along way for future job reference. I worked a lot of hours and spent a lot of hours away from my three year old at the time. I was required to work six days a week with one off day and that off day could not be a weekend. Managing a store was a huge responsibility I was not only responsible for my store and my workers but I was also responsible for our district in sales. The only down side to management is the conflicts between workers. Also I did not like that background checks were not doe on any of my employees I had to go solely on my own judgement and past employment. Also coming from a small town I know almost everyone so there was a lot of feelings hurt and I had to learn that this store was my responsibility I could not have workers who would look at me as their friend and not their boss. I like Halloween and watching all the kids come in and have a place to be ale to buy quality costumes and the looks on their faces PRICELESS.
Pros
having a place where family could come togather picking out costumes and enjoy all the probes
Cons
the store started to gain competiton and their prices were less and the stores were all costumes

4.2