Spirit Mountain Casino

Spirit Mountain Casino United States Employee Reviews

Federal government needs to step in and protect US citizens
Agent (Former Employee), Grand RondeMarch 11, 2015
Pros: constant turn over, always a job opening
Cons: constant turn over, disrespect to employees, lack of good management, rules only exist when they want them to
There will always be job openings because of low wages, an oppressive work environment and keeping jobs to part time so they don't have to pay benefits. Management will not stand up for non tribal employees.Do not speak up if you see something wrong, you will be punished. Feels like a back stabbing atmosphere and if you are not tribal you are a target.There is NO TRUE REPRESENTATION for a non tribal employee.
It's like working back in the late 1800's or early 1900's. Sweat shops are still out there, the only difference is it's 100 years later. Same mistreatment of people all in the name of money.
I think a union needs to take over.
Cook (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: none!
Cons: management is terrible, the service is terrible, and most of the employees are back stabbers.
Management is very poor. None of them are on the same page what so ever. I feel that there is way too much favortism and nepotism. Way too much backstabbing and too many fake people. I think the ones who actually work are underpaid and treated like peons. I think the service is terrible and the food is definetly not worth it. I saw too many people standing around when they should be working. Everyone is rude and disrespectful. I was a former employee there for eight years and as the years progressed everything got worse. I feel that a union should take over and overthrow the tribe because they make their own rules and mistreat the other races, as in making you feel worthless. The rules are rediculous and employees take advantage of them and abuse them. I dealt with being mistreated for way too long. If someone asked me if its a good place to work id say honestly, "if it was the last place on earth to work id rather live in a box." I strongly disapprove of this casino. I think laughlin, nevada would definetly put this casino to shame because those are very professional casino's. I think everyone in management needs to be replaced with people who actually have management skills. I feel that it needs to be shut down!!!
Go to Chinook Winds instead
Security (Former Employee), OregonFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management, a negative environment
I am not sure who is actually reviewing this place to work but my guess is it is the management. Everyone I had worked with in this place was miserable and had the same basic complaints. Why were they miserable you ask? The management I am guessing was trained in how to make their employees feel worthless so that they believe they can't find a better job. Management constantly threatened employees with loss of jobs, write ups and humiliation in front of co workers.
The environment fostered backstabbing and fear. The management tried very hard to make the employees feel worthless and stupid.
I am surprised that with as many good co workers I had that management did not utilize them and treat them with respect. The management needs to learn to treat their employees like they are valuable assets to the company instead of expendable at any moment. It does no good to go to upper management either. It just puts you on the fast track of losing your job.
I guess to sum it up is I know that a job is important. We need to pay our bills and have money for fun. Trust me though it is not worth selling your soul and your self worth to this place. Go to Chinook Winds instead. They seem happier.
Very fun
Promotions Team Member (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORFebruary 4, 2015
One of the greatest enviorments to work at would love to go back and work my old job. Every day was a good day at work helping the guests and setting up promotions!
Working as a Security Job
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee), Mohave Valley, AZJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: worked full time
Cons: poor mnagement
paid jackpots and enjoyed working with fellow employees and customers
Enjoyable time working at SMC.
Cashier (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORNovember 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, paychecks, the environment, my coworkers, daily tasks.
Cons: management not working with me, the drive for me.
A typical day at work for me would be to go into the shop, get all of my cash in the register and start by catching up with my co workers. When a guest would walk in, we would attend to them, making them feel like they're our number one priority and making their experience in the gift shop enjoyable. Throughout the shift, we would restock items we've sold, clean to keep it nice, and help each guest. We would make our shifts fun and enjoyable even if the shop was slow. I learned how to handle cash, and how to properly attend to guests. Management for me was the hardest with working on my new college schedule and my work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment, my coworkers, and just the daily tasks the job consisted of.
Great Place to work
Security Officer II / Field Training Officer (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORNovember 18, 2014
Pros: free meals, great health care benefits, great atmosphere
Cons: tribal preference
Spirit Mountain Casino is a great place to work with excellent health benefits. The only thing I can see negative about SMC is the extreme tribal preference that takes place to move up. When you get into Management and Directors, it is very hard to find someone who is not tribal.
Great place to work, very friendly.
Advertising Manager (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunch, great employees
Cons: commute
deadline driven atmosphere, fun and creative. Great training staff and motivational for further career development.
secure job but with poor management.
Pantry steward (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORAugust 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch, benefits
Cons: poor management, low wages.
It is very hard to get ahead in spirit mountain. The general attitude of management is very poor. They do not believe in the discipline system so they do not enforce it which severely drags the company down. The wages are low but they have a good benefits package.
Not worth the headache
Security Officer I/Security Officer II (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORJune 26, 2014
Pros: a free (sub-par) meal
Cons: terrible management, poor compensation, hostile work environment, little to no opportunity for advancement without nepotistic ties or a tribal card.
Management fosters an environment which leads to backstabbing in order to advance, and purposefully punishes good employees in order to keep them from advancing out of low-paying positions. Constant whining about the "budget" in spite of increasing revenues each year. Pitiful compensation and raises that are a joke.
Being in a healthy and positive environment.
Slot Attendant (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORApril 19, 2014
Pros: fun, challenging, pay, healthcare, benifits
Cons: inconsistancy, lack of communication skills, poor management and negativity.
I work in a fast pace environment. I work on slot machines, give change to guests that need thier bills exchanged. Call in Jackpots, count out Jackpots to guests, fix minor malfunctions of machines. Give empathy towords guests that are upset about loosing thier money or a payout with a machine. The hardest part of my job is the inconsistancies and poor communication on managments levels towords employees. Very hard to move up in management. Tribal is sought out first over anyone even if they have zero experiance weather it's supervisor, to HR. I enjoy working with my coworkers and seeing our regular guests. The most enjoyable part of my job is paying out jackpots to guests. What I've learned in this environment is patients.
Good
Count Operations Attendant (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORMarch 6, 2014
Twas a good place to verk at. Was really really gooood. was the BEESST in the WOORRRLD. they served NAAACCHOOOOOOOS
enjoyable workplace
Guest Services Lead (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
fun and enjoyable
new software
no comment for management
enjoy coworkers
my work schedule
the guest
Working here on graveyard was like working with family.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches, employee recognition day
Cons: part time jobs
Working for Spirit Mountain was like working with family. I would always chose working graveyard because the people wanted to get to know you more, also there was a better chance training for different work related jobs. The supervisors were always ready to help out any time, and getting to know our regular guests and host guests was a plus.
Good wages.
Guest Services (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, OROctober 31, 2013
Pros: made great tips
Cons: not a tribal member so wasn't able to advance as quickly
Casino was very busy and kept busy at all hours. Did not like working nights. Casino smelled.
Great.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Grand Ronde, ORSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: paid time off.
Cons: lack of overtime.
A typical day at work involves many things such as handling money, guest complaints and thefts, lost and found items, medical issues, report writing, and an array of other issues. I have learned how to approach people and speak with them under tense, stressful or uncomfortable situations, and how to speak with multiple types of people. Management for the Security department is strong. My co-workers are fun to work with and are trustworthy. The hardest part of my job is the lack of diversity, and the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and interacting with them.
Day at work
Cage Supervisor (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORAugust 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: less benefits
A typical day at work would be managing employees daily shifts and where they would be working. Making sure all casino assets were safely taken care of. Making sure all state and federal forms were filled out appropriately and on time.
Main stream, many people,
Hostess Cashier (Current Employee), Grand Ronde OregonAugust 1, 2013
Pros: food in the employee area
Cons: food taken out of pay check, and tips pooled
On my feet all day long, either running the till, running people to their tables, or helping out the people on the floor busing tables. Most of my co-workers were very nice, some looked for reasons to dislike me because I was new. Management is kind but didn't really help me when I started there. I had to learn about things as I went, without really getting taught anything before I started. I really enjoyed working with the customers, they were wonderful more often then not, and always understanding.
Good little Casino
Planning and Analysis Manager (Former Employee), Grand Ronde, ORJuly 17, 2013
I really enjoyed the area and the company wasn't too bad. They gave me opportunities which I really appreciate it. They did have financial problems which led to major changes. Things could have ran better for sure.
Lead Customer Services (Former Employee), Grande RondeMay 15, 2013
Pros: free medical ins for employees and their family
Cons: long hours often working double shifts
The casino was one of my most favorite jobs I have worked for. It was high pace, and always something going on. It was very fun and exciting.

The management was fun to work with. They were clear with the direction they set forth, fair, and followed all policies.

My co workers were fun to work with. They made working at the casino the best part of it.

Spirit Mountain Casino Salaries