Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Canada, CAJuly 20, 2017
Start your day off stocking or helping customers with anything they need. Learned a lot in customer care. Management took care of their employees. The work place was relaxing and not stressful. Hardest part was when they went out of business. The most enjoyable part was working with so many intelligent people.
Did not like working here
Sporting Expert (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2017
I made a good friend while working there and even learned to scuba dive. But the work place is terrible. The management is poor and the overall moral always seemed low.
Good Work Experience
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAJune 12, 2017
This was my first real job, so it gave me a good amount of work and social experience. I learned how to provide excellent customer service, attend to the needs of clients, and fulfill all of the daily tasks which were expected. However, the corporate personnel of Vestis and Versa Capital exploited Sport Chalet's struggling economic status for their own personal gain. This resulted after being bought in 2014, liquidating all of the assets after filing for bankruptcy (restructuring), and pocketing the profits - all at the expense of the retail store employees.
Pros
Great company culture, employee discount, wide selection of sporting goods
Cons
Greedy and sociopathic owners left us for dead, very hard to move up within company, hour limit set to 25 for associates, went out of business.
Productive place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Ranch, CAJune 1, 2017
Worked in the Footwear Department. Responsibilities included helping customers, organization and cleaning of
stockroom, making room for new merchandise when it arrived both on the sales floor and in the stockroom, ordering and
transferring merchandise from other store locations for customers, preparing floor for store sales.
Fun place to work
Key Carrier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 31, 2017
Sport Chalet offered many oppurtunies for an employee to pursue careers in retail. I worked my way up from cashier to eventually becoming a key carrier and the managers on days where I was needed.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Schedule structure
Fun
Expert Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 29, 2017
While Sport chalet was still in business, it was a fun place to work at. Working with others that love sports as much as you. There was never really a dull moment. We always made the best out of every situation. It was sad when the company closed down. I learned a lot there.
Good people
Bike Department Head (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 23, 2017
This was a good place to work, while going to school and gain experience. No longer operating for business. Advancement and compensation was over looked.
It was fun while it lasted
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAMay 19, 2017
Take care of customers and get out inventory. Working with customers to get them what they needed to be successful at whatever they were interested in doing.
productive
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMay 10, 2017
Sport Chalet was my place of employment for 11 years where I started out as an associate part time worked my way up till the closure in 2016. Towards the end of the company they nor longer seem to value the same things that we did back in 2006.
Pros
We were like family, flexible schedules
Cons
frozen raises (didn't see one in 6 years), politcis, egos
Good job
Key Holder/ Department Head (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 7, 2017
This company is out of business, so writing this review is a bit of an exercise in typing I suppose. I enjoyed my time there, I also enjoy typing this.
Productive, yet few customers
Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) –  Eastvale, CAMay 1, 2017
Fun place to work, with a lot of activities and a wide variety of products and brands. Not many customers stoped by as business was dropping, and the company ended up disappearing.
Pros
Lots of brands to learn from.
Cons
Low pay, and few work hours.
Basic retail environment but slower paced.
Retail Receiver and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2017
A sport specialty retail store that opened in Metro Center Mall, but was closed down in after only 5 years due to the higher prices on merchandise not able to be sold to the customers in that area of town. Worked on register and shipping and receiving.
This place is closed now
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 22, 2017
So I don't know why I need to write a review for this. If you are trying to get a job here than I don't know what you are doing because it doesn't exist. Almost all sport stores closed down with the exception of Big 5.
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  CALIFORNIAJanuary 31, 2017
Typical day would be visiting store to determine the need for additional security focus, training all associates etc THE COMPANY IS NOW CLOSED
Fun, interactive work environment
Sales and Scuba Representative (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJanuary 18, 2017
My experience at Sport Chalet was very good. I had fun working there as I learned to interact with new people and I got great deals on sporting equipment.
Pros
Awesome sports equipment discounts.
Cons
Short lunch break.
Over all an enjoyable place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJanuary 16, 2017
I cashiered on most shifts. I ran the front end of the store. Rang up items, bagged items for customers, counted money and gave change. I answered phone calls and directed them to the desired departments as well as greeted customers as they entered and exited the store.

What could make or break a shift or store would be the management. I've worked in 4 different locations and I've had AMAZING management, and I've had terrible management. Mostly positive though. Sport Chalet has had a lot of hard working staff over the years I've worked there and it's really too bad that all locations have closed down.
Pros
It was a great place to work with a lot of fun opportunities.
Cons
It's closed down for good.
Closed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89117December 24, 2016
The Sports Chalet was an interesting place to work. I learn some about sports equipment and repair. The store was run as a part time employer. It did not hire for full time meaning it was always loosing its experienced works to those places that did.
More than an employer, a family
SEASONAL DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brea, CASeptember 27, 2016
Sport Chalet brought more than just a pay check to its employees. It provided a work culture that fostered growth and focused on the strengths of all of its employees seeking to develop and draw them out. It built on a genuine sense of community and encouraged an environment that allowed each employee to thrive. Tragically the company did not last and fell to bankruptcy in spring 2016. It will be sorely missed.
Pros
Community and fun/energetic work environment
Cons
Did not last
Working with Sport Chalet was a good experience especially if you love sports.
Book keeper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2016
Working at Sport Chalet as a Bookkeeper was good and challenging experience in the sense that sometimes you don't know what to expect.The day could be good or bad meaning you hope no big mistakes will happen like shortages from cashiers.But no complains at all.
I loved being a part of the Sport Chalet team!!
Department Head of the cashiering department (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 1, 2016
I have great work experience! Although I have been out of work for 2 years, caring for my children, I can easily get right back into the work place no problem! I work well in groups & by myself. I get things done in a timely manner; no rushing but I get things done when they're suppose to be done! I would like to meet new people & work around fun & organized people! I'am very organized & fun to be around! Sport Chalet loved that about me! I got along with everyone I worked with & even the customers loved me & always asked the managers to promote me ☺️
Pros
They were a great company to work for! We got free lunches, sub way sandwiches, pizza or Chinese food.
Cons
There weren't really any cons working for Sport Chalet.