Sport Chalet

Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

Roller Coaster
Cashier/Apparel Manager/Footwear Manager (Former Employee), Menifee, CAMay 22, 2015
Never knew what the day was going to be like. I learned that you had to be a butt kisser to have a good day at work. I worked hard for this company and was treated poorly. I enjoyed majority of co-workers and one out of three managers.
Okay place to work.
Retail (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 17, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Short Breaks, sales quotas, no communication whatsoever
Everything was fine, employees were great, Management was a joke and so was the way they ran and organized stuff. I personally wouldnt work there again.
all sales, no customer service
sales (Former Employee), Huntington Beach, CAMay 15, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: management
all the company cares about is selling and getting customers to apply for mastercards!
coworkers were the only thing keeping me there.
There was never any positive feedback or rewards
I learned a lot about sales and what its like working for a large retail corporation.
Culture is on a down slide since the buy out
Head of Operations (California) (Former Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great Customers
Cons: Low pay, no training, terrible benefits, inexperienced managers
The new investment company has gutted Sport Chalet's most experienced and talented people. No full time employers, under staffed, customer regularly complain of low inventory and ignorant staff
New Ownership for Sport Chalet
Fixture Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee), Los Angeles CA 91011May 4, 2015
Pros: discounted product
Cons: healthcare long hours
The work environment is great amongst fellow co-workers. There is NOT a strong documentation of standard of operating procedures (SOP) most training comes through tribal information from the tenure employees. There are many perks to the job with the "pro deals" of getting the sports and recreational product at heavily reduced prices.
Excellent Customer Service
Manager (Current Employee), CAApril 30, 2015
Customer is Boss, and this is supported by the Actions and Initiatives throughout the company. Good Knowledge for Sport Chalet Experts.
Sport Chalet
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Irvine, CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Good Pay
Cons: Consistent shifts in management
Sport Chalet was very welcoming and more than willing to compensate employees who were dedicated to perform, and create a sense of pride for the company. The work environment was fun, and allowed a sense of comfort to exist among-st the employment.
Horrible work environment run by managers who are unfit
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Thousand Oaks, CAApril 18, 2015
Pros: decent discounts, quality products
Cons: bad work environment, rude managers, low pay, no job security
Showing up to work you would never know if you would be cut that day or if your shift would be cut short. You would always find yourself having to help out other departments because of management not scheduling workers correctly. You would be told to go do things that you were never formally taught to do just because you were free at the time and one of the managers saw you. I learned that if a customer complains or gets upset that you are suppose to give them what they want and more because the customer is always right. I also learned that even if you are following the rules that management told you to do, if a customer talks to management they will make you look like the bad guy and have the customer seeing you as a fool.
Productive and fast pace workplace.
Full Time Cashier (Former Employee), Temecula, CAApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work involves customer service, meeting companys quotas with visas, i learned different way to sale. My co workers were fun to work with on some occasions. The management team was more playful then they worked hard. The hardest part of my job was some of the staff not communicating in the work enviornment which made the job a bit jhard. The most enjoyable part of the job was my guests (customers). :-)
Sport Chalet was a learning experience
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: SAP experience and easy commute
Cons: salary and benefits did not meet my needs
I have worked at Sport Chalet for over eight years, and it was a great opportunity for me to learn SAP and the benefits of learning such a great program have been immense and I have enjoyed working in Accounts Payable with so many diverse and unique vendors.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Chino Hills, CAApril 3, 2015
This was my first job and I learned so much with my time here just about customer service in general. I enjoyed my coworkers company and had little stress involved with the job
NO chance of success
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMarch 30, 2015
There is no moving up in this company. Had to fight for a well earned raise. No incentive no promotions. I would not work here again its good for part-time summer work.
Good Job but only if there is work
Order Entry (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CAMarch 27, 2015
busy throughout the day if there is work to be done
learned new programs, and how to Enter orders
Management is good
some co-works are easier to get along with than others
dealing with outside Reps that turn in incomplete orders
when there is work and everyone is cooperating
Interesting place with lots interesting people
Cashier (Former Employee), Arcadia, CAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: 25% discount on everything is the store
Cons: short breaks, no health insurance
Helping customers with exchanges, returns,and purchases. The hardest part of this job was dealing with management. They like to play favorites.
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: good traning
It was very nice to work for them, they trained you in very friendly environment. Nice experience.
My Manager was very helpful and also my co-workers.
No Pay Chalet
Cashier (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2015
Pros: pro deals, great co-workers
Cons: horrible pay, must work all holidays, high pressure to get credit card sign ups w unrealistic expectations
Horrible pay no raises in 7 years. Just striped full time employees of full time status & took away benefits, & capped hours @ 25 to avoid obamacare. Company is in serious trouble.
ok
APPAREL SALES (Current Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 23, 2015
just okay for now just doing it. to move along. co worker are ok. management needs to be better not demanding. stop the negative more positive and just stop.
Friendly Co-Workers, Happy Customers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at Sport Chalet would include, helping customers find specific products they are looking for. If the product is not on the sales floor, an associate can special order the product. As a cashier, our job entails- solicit credit, ring transactions, process special order paperwork, and provide a general direction to customers throughout the store. Management is always willing to help us if there is an issue with feisty customers. Co-workers are very easy to get along with and always put the team first. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a customer satisfied with the service, and recommendations I give them on the products they are purchasing.
Meh
Cashier (Current Employee), happy valleyFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: little to no breaks, low pay, no opportunities.
You are replaceable at Sport Chalet. The management does not really care about you. The best thing about the company is the other sales associates.
Great co-workers, confused corporate structure
Supervisor (Former Employee), West Hills, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: pro deals, free rentals, and free scuba lessons
Cons: low salary for the amount of the responsibility.
Mixed messages from corporate which makes the day to day operations difficult to execute. The company has gotten away from the original owner's message of quality, individualized customer service. You meet many interesting people both in customers and fellow employees and have many opportunities to explore sports that you would have never thought to try.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sport Chalet

For those who play, there's Sport Chalet. The sporting goods retailer operates 50-plus stores mostly in California, but also in – Read more

Sport Chalet Salaries