Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

no longer in business
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CANovember 17, 2017
The company is no longer in business, it was ran in a very unprofessional manner, many of the managers were unskilled and untrained and inexperienced.
productive, great place to start
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 21, 2017
Sport Chalet is a great place, a place where we can take it to the limit. The hardest part of the job was unloading product from every delivery. Fun
Pros
lunch, discounts
Cons
no holidays off, stayed late to close especially on school nights
great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 10, 2017
Well it was a great place to work when it was in business. A one stop shop for all outdoor activities. Can't really fine that anymore unless you go on the internet, guess thats why they went out of business
Was a great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZOctober 3, 2017
I absolutely loved my job. It was hard for me to leave. Had to relocate. Was very sad to hear they closed their doors. Would had gone back if I had the chance.
Pros
Great place to work.
wonderfull place to work,to bad its gone
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2017
a great place to work and learn.Bad upper management decisions and relying too much on winter sales doomed them.Made amazing friendships there,and will never forget how great this company was.
This place went out of business for a reason
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 5, 2017
Changed managers about every 4 months, very slow most of the time with the occasional crazy rushed days i.e black Friday. Good store for customers bad for employees, only positions that had ability to advance were managers.
Decent place to work at at the time
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 1, 2017
A typical day included loading/unloading trucks, stocking/organizing shelves, providing customer service in the shoes and outdoors sections; only stopped working there because they went out of business.
Typical retail operation
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 24, 2017
Company is no longer in business, I would attribute this to cronyism, greed and mismanagement as the chain grew. Typical retail operation that was unable to keep up with the competition from nation chain stores
Very good place to work at.
Department Head / Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 23, 2017
Basically I strung tennis rackets and also became a very good manager with the head department. I also managed the golf and tennis department and became one with the employees.
Good bye SC
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 7, 2017
Initially a great place to work, took a dive once company became publicly traded. Expanded too fast durning the economic downturn, ultimately couldn't keep pace with the industry
Pros
Discounts, snow gear
Cons
Oppressive selling culture, fractured and seized corporate team

Want to know more about Sport Chalet?

Ask a question
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Canada, CAJuly 20, 2017
Start your day off stocking or helping customers with anything they need. Learned a lot in customer care. Management took care of their employees. The work place was relaxing and not stressful. Hardest part was when they went out of business. The most enjoyable part was working with so many intelligent people.
Did not like working here
Sporting Expert (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2017
I made a good friend while working there and even learned to scuba dive. But the work place is terrible. The management is poor and the overall moral always seemed low.
Good Work Experience
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAJune 12, 2017
This was my first real job, so it gave me a good amount of work and social experience. I learned how to provide excellent customer service, attend to the needs of clients, and fulfill all of the daily tasks which were expected. However, the corporate personnel of Vestis and Versa Capital exploited Sport Chalet's struggling economic status for their own personal gain. This resulted after being bought in 2014, liquidating all of the assets after filing for bankruptcy (restructuring), and pocketing the profits - all at the expense of the retail store employees.
Pros
Great company culture, employee discount, wide selection of sporting goods
Cons
Greedy and sociopathic owners left us for dead, very hard to move up within company, hour limit set to 25 for associates, went out of business.
Productive place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Ranch, CAJune 1, 2017
Worked in the Footwear Department. Responsibilities included helping customers, organization and cleaning of
stockroom, making room for new merchandise when it arrived both on the sales floor and in the stockroom, ordering and
transferring merchandise from other store locations for customers, preparing floor for store sales.
Fun place to work
Key Carrier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 31, 2017
Sport Chalet offered many oppurtunies for an employee to pursue careers in retail. I worked my way up from cashier to eventually becoming a key carrier and the managers on days where I was needed.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Schedule structure
Fun
Expert Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 29, 2017
While Sport chalet was still in business, it was a fun place to work at. Working with others that love sports as much as you. There was never really a dull moment. We always made the best out of every situation. It was sad when the company closed down. I learned a lot there.
Good people
Bike Department Head (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 23, 2017
This was a good place to work, while going to school and gain experience. No longer operating for business. Advancement and compensation was over looked.
It was fun while it lasted
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAMay 19, 2017
Take care of customers and get out inventory. Working with customers to get them what they needed to be successful at whatever they were interested in doing.
productive
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMay 10, 2017
Sport Chalet was my place of employment for 11 years where I started out as an associate part time worked my way up till the closure in 2016. Towards the end of the company they nor longer seem to value the same things that we did back in 2006.
Pros
We were like family, flexible schedules
Cons
frozen raises (didn't see one in 6 years), politcis, egos
Good job
Key Holder/ Department Head (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 7, 2017
This company is out of business, so writing this review is a bit of an exercise in typing I suppose. I enjoyed my time there, I also enjoy typing this.