Sport Chalet Employee Reviews in United States

Productive but suffers from being completely impersonal
Retail Manager/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011March 25, 2016
I managed a large department of 8 people. Maintained department and personnel, sales, presentation of product; 3-days per week received product shipments for large-volume store.
Good relationship with co-workers. Management turnover made it difficult to adjust to management styles/personalities.
Pros
Employee discounts.
Cons
Frequent management changes
Decent place to start
Operations manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 18, 2015
good work environment, advancement is to slow, many qualified employee get overlooked. Qualified candidates often move to other jobs due to advancement within Sport Chalet being slow, or raises not being offer for so many years.
Didn't Respect Religious Boundaries - Even Though Promised
Sales Associate/Rental Technician (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 8, 2016
Normal Sports Equipment Retail Job
Sales, Inventory Management, Rental
Employees and Management Not Exceptional
Didn't Honor Agreed Upon Schedule Concerning Sabbath
Pros
Discounted Equipment Rental
Cons
Dishonorable Managers
Fast paced work environment
Service Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 30, 2016
Sport Chalet Teamsales can be a very rewarding yet often times a thankless job.We provide hard goods and uniforms for a variety team sports. Many factors go into the completion of all orders as there can be numerous obstacles from dealing with back orders which can cause delays and if teams have deadlines to meet, wether it'd be for an up incoming tournament or picture day if the vendor does not send the items in a timely matter it can cause major issues for the company and the customer.
Pros
Great wholesale vendor discounts for employees
Cons
Healthcare is not the best
Working at Sport Chalet
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAFebruary 8, 2016
In retail, you have to commit to the schedule since it's almost an on-call/weekly set schedule. Working in the sporting industry is fun since you're selling health. Great job.
Pros
discounts, good pay, fun people, good management
Cons
schedule, all sorts of customers
Great place to work. Many jobs will keep you busy.
Ski/Snowboard Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work is fine, doing the one job you are meant to do is tough, with the lack of hours and personnel, you will most likely be in two or three places at once, but you can usually call for help as you need it.
I have learned to be the best I can, doing as many jobs as possible in my rental and repair sections vicinity. My co-workers are always ready to learn and or help, with my shop and surrounding areas. Doing my job, I love watching the faces of kids renting boards and or skies right before a family trip. I also enjoy seeing the faces of returning customers whom realized the quality work done for them and the reason the continually return to our store.
Fun and Productive
Sales Associate & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAMarch 22, 2016
Great environment for a retail store employer. Flexible in scheduling and management. This employer was very understading of work and school.
Great Place to Work
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 18, 2016
Fun working environment (sell sporting goods!) and an atmosphere that challenges you every day to do your best. Working with a great group of people makes all the difference in the world.
Unfortunately, the hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that Vestis has made the decision to liquidate all of our remaining stores. This was a great group of people to work with; people who gave everything they had to make Sport Chalet one of the best retail jobs out there.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
They're closing all of their stores...
Productive place to work, great family atmosphere.
Customer Service Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 15, 2015
• Eagerly assisted customers with product selection and queries.
• Set up store displays.
• Investigated and resolved customer complaints.

Management at Sport Chalet was great, I learned a lot about fishing, camping and snowboarding. My co-workers were friendly and eager to help out whenever possible. The hardest part of the job was learning how to line a fishing reel and the most enjoyable part of the job was going to Giants games with my co-workers.
Pros
I learned about things that I would of never learned anywhere else.
Cons
No room for advancement.
Overall Gre"thank youat Work Experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2016
I loved working at Sport Chalet because my coworkers were fun, nice, energetic, and passionate about their work. My managers cared about their employees work experience as they tried to make it as comfortable as possible. My favorite part about working there was getting to meet and greet and help as many customers as I could. I really enjoyed being able to answer somebody's questions to help them lean towards one decision or another.
Store content
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 8, 2016
The store sells interesting and one of a kind items. There are many fun people to work with and there are nice customers that come through.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
No benifits, small hour avaliablity
Good environment. Great people to work with.
department head (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2016
Typical is not a word to be applied to the position. Many varied responsibilities changing from day to day. I learned management skills from my general manager. The hardest part which also made the job enjoyable was being able to multi-task within a given time period.
Pros
Having a say in days and shifts worked. Working with like minded people.
Cons
Dealing with big shipments with a small staff.
Generally good environment to work in. Little chance of pay increase or advancement.
Rental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 3, 2016
Company went public about 10 years ago. Management ran the company into the ground. Company got sold about 2 years ago. New management ran company further into ground. Company currently selling off assets and getting ready to go out of business.
Pros
Interesting, challenging work.
Cons
Little chance of pay increase or promotion.
sport chalet
Sales Associate/ Bike technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 22, 2015
Great coworkers, they were always open to have a little chit chat or give a hand when needed. When I worked there, management was a little unorganized but it was not terrible.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
lousy employee discount
Horrible work environment run by managers who are unfit
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 18, 2015
Showing up to work you would never know if you would be cut that day or if your shift would be cut short. You would always find yourself having to help out other departments because of management not scheduling workers correctly. You would be told to go do things that you were never formally taught to do just because you were free at the time and one of the managers saw you. I learned that if a customer complains or gets upset that you are suppose to give them what they want and more because the customer is always right. I also learned that even if you are following the rules that management told you to do, if a customer talks to management they will make you look like the bad guy and have the customer seeing you as a fool.
Pros
decent discounts, quality products
Cons
bad work environment, rude managers, low pay, no job security
Enjoyable work environment and great management staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 12, 2015
Working for Sport Chalet was a great experience for me! Management was excellent and very interpersonal. A typical day could be very easy while other days could be very chaotic. At times the systems went down management would step in and work with us to get lines down even if that meant manually writing tickets so that we can later ring items out. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the personalities that came thru on daily basis, although with the training easy employee was able to handle frustrating situations in a calm and approached each situation with a positive attitude.
Pros
Discounted items
Cons
only part time positions
Fun workplace and learning experience
Retail/Register (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working in a restaurant setting. I was able to learn a lot about the industry and each positions' responsibilities. The owner/manager was very friendly and treated me with the utmost respect. I got along with everyone I worked with as well as the customers that came into the restaurant.
Was good while it lasted
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2016
The merchandise was better quality and the customer service was excellent! Managers were loyal for so long and most stayed until the very end. Hard working individuals that deserved more than they got. Sad they are closing down.
Experts
Manager Operations and Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2016
Sport Chalet is always in need of Experts. The employees are great at teaching not only customer but also each other about new adventures and opportunities within their desired sports.
Day in a life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TorranceSeptember 12, 2015
It was cool, minus the fact that when you were closing you didnt know if it would take 1 hour or 3 hours to close. Fun job good pay.... LONG hours..the cashier hours and hours in general are based on credentials started at 40 hours, went down to 8 hours real quick!
Pros
fun