Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

This place went out of business for a reason
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 5, 2017
Changed managers about every 4 months, very slow most of the time with the occasional crazy rushed days i.e black Friday. Good store for customers bad for employees, only positions that had ability to advance were managers.
Decent place to work at at the time
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 1, 2017
A typical day included loading/unloading trucks, stocking/organizing shelves, providing customer service in the shoes and outdoors sections; only stopped working there because they went out of business.
Typical retail operation
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 24, 2017
Company is no longer in business, I would attribute this to cronyism, greed and mismanagement as the chain grew. Typical retail operation that was unable to keep up with the competition from nation chain stores
Very good place to work at.
Department Head / Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 23, 2017
Basically I strung tennis rackets and also became a very good manager with the head department. I also managed the golf and tennis department and became one with the employees.
Good bye SC
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 7, 2017
Initially a great place to work, took a dive once company became publicly traded. Expanded too fast durning the economic downturn, ultimately couldn't keep pace with the industry
Pros
Discounts, snow gear
Cons
Oppressive selling culture, fractured and seized corporate team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Canada, CAJuly 20, 2017
Start your day off stocking or helping customers with anything they need. Learned a lot in customer care. Management took care of their employees. The work place was relaxing and not stressful. Hardest part was when they went out of business. The most enjoyable part was working with so many intelligent people.
Did not like working here
Sporting Expert (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2017
I made a good friend while working there and even learned to scuba dive. But the work place is terrible. The management is poor and the overall moral always seemed low.
Good Work Experience
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAJune 12, 2017
This was my first real job, so it gave me a good amount of work and social experience. I learned how to provide excellent customer service, attend to the needs of clients, and fulfill all of the daily tasks which were expected. However, the corporate personnel of Vestis and Versa Capital exploited Sport Chalet's struggling economic status for their own personal gain. This resulted after being bought in 2014, liquidating all of the assets after filing for bankruptcy (restructuring), and pocketing the profits - all at the expense of the retail store employees.
Pros
Great company culture, employee discount, wide selection of sporting goods
Cons
Greedy and sociopathic owners left us for dead, very hard to move up within company, hour limit set to 25 for associates, went out of business.
Productive place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Ranch, CAJune 1, 2017
Worked in the Footwear Department. Responsibilities included helping customers, organization and cleaning of
stockroom, making room for new merchandise when it arrived both on the sales floor and in the stockroom, ordering and
transferring merchandise from other store locations for customers, preparing floor for store sales.
Fun place to work
Key Carrier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 31, 2017
Sport Chalet offered many oppurtunies for an employee to pursue careers in retail. I worked my way up from cashier to eventually becoming a key carrier and the managers on days where I was needed.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Schedule structure
Fun
Expert Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 29, 2017
While Sport chalet was still in business, it was a fun place to work at. Working with others that love sports as much as you. There was never really a dull moment. We always made the best out of every situation. It was sad when the company closed down. I learned a lot there.
Good people
Bike Department Head (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 23, 2017
This was a good place to work, while going to school and gain experience. No longer operating for business. Advancement and compensation was over looked.
It was fun while it lasted
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAMay 19, 2017
Take care of customers and get out inventory. Working with customers to get them what they needed to be successful at whatever they were interested in doing.
productive
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMay 10, 2017
Sport Chalet was my place of employment for 11 years where I started out as an associate part time worked my way up till the closure in 2016. Towards the end of the company they nor longer seem to value the same things that we did back in 2006.
Pros
We were like family, flexible schedules
Cons
frozen raises (didn't see one in 6 years), politcis, egos
Good job
Key Holder/ Department Head (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 7, 2017
This company is out of business, so writing this review is a bit of an exercise in typing I suppose. I enjoyed my time there, I also enjoy typing this.
Productive, yet few customers
Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) –  Eastvale, CAMay 1, 2017
Fun place to work, with a lot of activities and a wide variety of products and brands. Not many customers stoped by as business was dropping, and the company ended up disappearing.
Pros
Lots of brands to learn from.
Cons
Low pay, and few work hours.
Basic retail environment but slower paced.
Retail Receiver and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2017
A sport specialty retail store that opened in Metro Center Mall, but was closed down in after only 5 years due to the higher prices on merchandise not able to be sold to the customers in that area of town. Worked on register and shipping and receiving.
This place is closed now
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 22, 2017
So I don't know why I need to write a review for this. If you are trying to get a job here than I don't know what you are doing because it doesn't exist. Almost all sport stores closed down with the exception of Big 5.
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  CALIFORNIAJanuary 31, 2017
Typical day would be visiting store to determine the need for additional security focus, training all associates etc THE COMPANY IS NOW CLOSED
Fun, interactive work environment
Sales and Scuba Representative (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJanuary 18, 2017
My experience at Sport Chalet was very good. I had fun working there as I learned to interact with new people and I got great deals on sporting equipment.
Pros
Awesome sports equipment discounts.
Cons
Short lunch break.