Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

Over all an enjoyable place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJanuary 16, 2017
I cashiered on most shifts. I ran the front end of the store. Rang up items, bagged items for customers, counted money and gave change. I answered phone calls and directed them to the desired departments as well as greeted customers as they entered and exited the store.

What could make or break a shift or store would be the management. I've worked in 4 different locations and I've had AMAZING management, and I've had terrible management. Mostly positive though. Sport Chalet has had a lot of hard working staff over the years I've worked there and it's really too bad that all locations have closed down.
Pros
It was a great place to work with a lot of fun opportunities.
Cons
It's closed down for good.
Fun place to work. Very little down time.
Sales Associate promoted to Department Head (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at Sport Chalet was not so typical. Each day brought its challenges. Depending on the previous day, we would focus on restocking merchandise, build floor display units, sign up new guests for action passes or Sport Chalet master cards, and most importantly take care of guests daily needs. I learned to re-grip baseball bats and tennis racquets, as well as re-string tennis racquets. I learned how to conduct routine maintenance for bicycles. The management team was helpful and available to answer any questions I had. My co-workers were friendly and always eager to help. The hardest part of the job was unhappy and unsatisfied guests. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children and adults find the proper sports equipment or anything else they needed in the store.
Pros
Online department training, hands on experience, multiple department opportunities and experiences
Cons
High turnover of employees, lack of communication, unreliable team members
More than an employer, a family
SEASONAL DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brea, CASeptember 27, 2016
Sport Chalet brought more than just a pay check to its employees. It provided a work culture that fostered growth and focused on the strengths of all of its employees seeking to develop and draw them out. It built on a genuine sense of community and encouraged an environment that allowed each employee to thrive. Tragically the company did not last and fell to bankruptcy in spring 2016. It will be sorely missed.
Pros
Community and fun/energetic work environment
Cons
Did not last
Generally good environment to work in. Little chance of pay increase or advancement.
Rental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 3, 2016
Company went public about 10 years ago. Management ran the company into the ground. Company got sold about 2 years ago. New management ran company further into ground. Company currently selling off assets and getting ready to go out of business.
Pros
Interesting, challenging work.
Cons
Little chance of pay increase or promotion.
I loved being a part of the Sport Chalet team!!
Department Head of the cashiering department (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 1, 2016
I have great work experience! Although I have been out of work for 2 years, caring for my children, I can easily get right back into the work place no problem! I work well in groups & by myself. I get things done in a timely manner; no rushing but I get things done when they're suppose to be done! I would like to meet new people & work around fun & organized people! I'am very organized & fun to be around! Sport Chalet loved that about me! I got along with everyone I worked with & even the customers loved me & always asked the managers to promote me ☺️
Pros
They were a great company to work for! We got free lunches, sub way sandwiches, pizza or Chinese food.
Cons
There weren't really any cons working for Sport Chalet.
Fun environment and great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2016
Sport Chalet is the number popular sports store and was enjoyable place to work for. Co-workers were awesome. Management was in top shape and treated customers and employees great. I learned how to train new employees, provide great customer service, and more.
Good environment. Great people to work with.
department head (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2016
Typical is not a word to be applied to the position. Many varied responsibilities changing from day to day. I learned management skills from my general manager. The hardest part which also made the job enjoyable was being able to multi-task within a given time period.
Pros
Having a say in days and shifts worked. Working with like minded people.
Cons
Dealing with big shipments with a small staff.
Closed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89117December 24, 2016
The Sports Chalet was an interesting place to work. I learn some about sports equipment and repair. The store was run as a part time employer. It did not hire for full time meaning it was always loosing its experienced works to those places that did.
Fun, interactive work environment
Sales and Scuba Representative (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJanuary 18, 2017
My experience at Sport Chalet was very good. I had fun working there as I learned to interact with new people and I got great deals on sporting equipment.
Pros
Awesome sports equipment discounts.
Cons
Short lunch break.
Working with Sport Chalet was a good experience especially if you love sports.
Book keeper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2016
Working at Sport Chalet as a Bookkeeper was good and challenging experience in the sense that sometimes you don't know what to expect.The day could be good or bad meaning you hope no big mistakes will happen like shortages from cashiers.But no complains at all.
Overall Gre"thank youat Work Experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2016
I loved working at Sport Chalet because my coworkers were fun, nice, energetic, and passionate about their work. My managers cared about their employees work experience as they tried to make it as comfortable as possible. My favorite part about working there was getting to meet and greet and help as many customers as I could. I really enjoyed being able to answer somebody's questions to help them lean towards one decision or another.
Productive but suffers from being completely impersonal
Retail Manager/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011March 25, 2016
I managed a large department of 8 people. Maintained department and personnel, sales, presentation of product; 3-days per week received product shipments for large-volume store.
Good relationship with co-workers. Management turnover made it difficult to adjust to management styles/personalities.
Pros
Employee discounts.
Cons
Frequent management changes
Great Experience
Apparel Manager (Former Employee) –  21305 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance, California 90503July 13, 2016
I have learned everything I know today from sport chalet. Product knowledge, top notch customer service, versatility , confidence in believing what u sell the list goes on. Meeting so many great co workers creating friends and building amazing teams. It's so unfortunate that sport chalet has gone out of business.
Pros
Lot of knowledge
Cons
Pay freeze in mid 2010 also lost incentives
Great place to work. Low pay.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  L.A. CaliforniaJanuary 15, 2014
I loved working at Sport Chalet. The culture there is something that Norbert started in 1959 and it all wraps around treating customers well and treating employees well also. Lift tickets are discounted greatly, discounts on sporting goods are drastically discounted. If you love to do sports outside of work, this is the place to work. The pay is drastic and they have not gotten a raise in over 5 years. They have a freeze on raises. I left because I could not eat and be an employee at the same time. I was not able to buy a lot of sporting goods because they didn't pay enough.
Pros
discounts. Great people work at all the stores. Work with people who love whtat they do.
Cons
you work for almost free.
Good experiences
Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 20, 2016
I was sad to see this place go.
- Fun environment
- Enjoyed their employee rental program
I learned a lot from this company, it's a shame they went under.
Great Place to Work
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 18, 2016
Fun working environment (sell sporting goods!) and an atmosphere that challenges you every day to do your best. Working with a great group of people makes all the difference in the world.
Unfortunately, the hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that Vestis has made the decision to liquidate all of our remaining stores. This was a great group of people to work with; people who gave everything they had to make Sport Chalet one of the best retail jobs out there.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
They're closing all of their stores...
Hardwork with on recogition
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 9, 2016
Place was hard to work. Such high demands and district Managers not understanding the reality of no foot traffic. Not a healthy place for your Mental Health.
Pros
Fun Coworkers
Cons
High Demands and Demanding Managers
overall fun place
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 25, 2016
I'm my opinion I loved working for sport chalet because they didn't open to early or to late and it was enough to get hours !
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Only one person per department
Very beneficial job although low pay
Floor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Ranch, CAMarch 10, 2014
A typical day of work at sport chalet includes sales, merchandising and conversing with customers face to face. I learned how to manage my time well and how to sell product to a wide variety of customers. Management at Sport Chalet was great. They were always there to help out and were always fair when it came to different scenarios. The hardest part of the job was working out new product on truck days. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with customers about fishing and camping product all day long.
Pros
Free rentals, 25 % employee discount
Cons
No pay raise unless promoted
Fun and interactive work environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2016
It's a retail store through and through but, the appeal (at least to me) is that it is centered around sports and various outdoor activities. Being an outdoor enthusiast myself, makes selling and customer servicing all the more easier, relateable, and enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chalet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8