Sport Chalet Employee Reviews in United States

Store content
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 8, 2016
The store sells interesting and one of a kind items. There are many fun people to work with and there are nice customers that come through.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
No benifits, small hour avaliablity
Decent place to start
Operations manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 18, 2015
good work environment, advancement is to slow, many qualified employee get overlooked. Qualified candidates often move to other jobs due to advancement within Sport Chalet being slow, or raises not being offer for so many years.
Fun place to work. Very little down time.
Sales Associate promoted to Department Head (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at Sport Chalet was not so typical. Each day brought its challenges. Depending on the previous day, we would focus on restocking merchandise, build floor display units, sign up new guests for action passes or Sport Chalet master cards, and most importantly take care of guests daily needs. I learned to re-grip baseball bats and tennis racquets, as well as re-string tennis racquets. I learned how to conduct routine maintenance for bicycles. The management team was helpful and available to answer any questions I had. My co-workers were friendly and always eager to help. The hardest part of the job was unhappy and unsatisfied guests. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children and adults find the proper sports equipment or anything else they needed in the store.
Pros
Online department training, hands on experience, multiple department opportunities and experiences
Cons
High turnover of employees, lack of communication, unreliable team members
Overall Gre"thank youat Work Experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2016
I loved working at Sport Chalet because my coworkers were fun, nice, energetic, and passionate about their work. My managers cared about their employees work experience as they tried to make it as comfortable as possible. My favorite part about working there was getting to meet and greet and help as many customers as I could. I really enjoyed being able to answer somebody's questions to help them lean towards one decision or another.
Fast paced work environment
Service Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 30, 2016
Sport Chalet Teamsales can be a very rewarding yet often times a thankless job.We provide hard goods and uniforms for a variety team sports. Many factors go into the completion of all orders as there can be numerous obstacles from dealing with back orders which can cause delays and if teams have deadlines to meet, wether it'd be for an up incoming tournament or picture day if the vendor does not send the items in a timely matter it can cause major issues for the company and the customer.
Pros
Great wholesale vendor discounts for employees
Cons
Healthcare is not the best
Productive but suffers from being completely impersonal
Retail Manager/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011March 25, 2016
I managed a large department of 8 people. Maintained department and personnel, sales, presentation of product; 3-days per week received product shipments for large-volume store.
Good relationship with co-workers. Management turnover made it difficult to adjust to management styles/personalities.
Pros
Employee discounts.
Cons
Frequent management changes
Great Place to Work
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 18, 2016
Fun working environment (sell sporting goods!) and an atmosphere that challenges you every day to do your best. Working with a great group of people makes all the difference in the world.
Unfortunately, the hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that Vestis has made the decision to liquidate all of our remaining stores. This was a great group of people to work with; people who gave everything they had to make Sport Chalet one of the best retail jobs out there.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
They're closing all of their stores...
Good environment. Great people to work with.
department head (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2016
Typical is not a word to be applied to the position. Many varied responsibilities changing from day to day. I learned management skills from my general manager. The hardest part which also made the job enjoyable was being able to multi-task within a given time period.
Pros
Having a say in days and shifts worked. Working with like minded people.
Cons
Dealing with big shipments with a small staff.
Great Experience
Apparel Manager (Former Employee) –  21305 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance, California 90503July 13, 2016
I have learned everything I know today from sport chalet. Product knowledge, top notch customer service, versatility , confidence in believing what u sell the list goes on. Meeting so many great co workers creating friends and building amazing teams. It's so unfortunate that sport chalet has gone out of business.
Pros
Lot of knowledge
Cons
Pay freeze in mid 2010 also lost incentives
Great place to work. Many jobs will keep you busy.
Ski/Snowboard Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work is fine, doing the one job you are meant to do is tough, with the lack of hours and personnel, you will most likely be in two or three places at once, but you can usually call for help as you need it.
I have learned to be the best I can, doing as many jobs as possible in my rental and repair sections vicinity. My co-workers are always ready to learn and or help, with my shop and surrounding areas. Doing my job, I love watching the faces of kids renting boards and or skies right before a family trip. I also enjoy seeing the faces of returning customers whom realized the quality work done for them and the reason the continually return to our store.
Generally good environment to work in. Little chance of pay increase or advancement.
Rental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 3, 2016
Company went public about 10 years ago. Management ran the company into the ground. Company got sold about 2 years ago. New management ran company further into ground. Company currently selling off assets and getting ready to go out of business.
Pros
Interesting, challenging work.
Cons
Little chance of pay increase or promotion.
Fun environment and great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2016
Sport Chalet is the number popular sports store and was enjoyable place to work for. Co-workers were awesome. Management was in top shape and treated customers and employees great. I learned how to train new employees, provide great customer service, and more.
Fun and interactive work environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2016
It's a retail store through and through but, the appeal (at least to me) is that it is centered around sports and various outdoor activities. Being an outdoor enthusiast myself, makes selling and customer servicing all the more easier, relateable, and enjoyable.
Didn't Respect Religious Boundaries - Even Though Promised
Sales Associate/Rental Technician (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 8, 2016
Normal Sports Equipment Retail Job
Sales, Inventory Management, Rental
Employees and Management Not Exceptional
Didn't Honor Agreed Upon Schedule Concerning Sabbath
Pros
Discounted Equipment Rental
Cons
Dishonorable Managers
Working at Sport Chalet
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAFebruary 8, 2016
In retail, you have to commit to the schedule since it's almost an on-call/weekly set schedule. Working in the sporting industry is fun since you're selling health. Great job.
Pros
discounts, good pay, fun people, good management
Cons
schedule, all sorts of customers
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAAugust 2, 2015
Fast paced sales environment with great benefits and a steady work flow.

A typical day at work included opening/closing duties, cleaning as well as paperwork that would finish out the day.

Hardest part of the job was all of the down-time.
Hardwork with on recogition
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 9, 2016
Place was hard to work. Such high demands and district Managers not understanding the reality of no foot traffic. Not a healthy place for your Mental Health.
Pros
Fun Coworkers
Cons
High Demands and Demanding Managers
Was good while it lasted
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2016
The merchandise was better quality and the customer service was excellent! Managers were loyal for so long and most stayed until the very end. Hard working individuals that deserved more than they got. Sad they are closing down.
Fun and Productive
Sales Associate & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAMarch 22, 2016
Great environment for a retail store employer. Flexible in scheduling and management. This employer was very understading of work and school.
Fast paced unique sporting goods retail.
Scuba Department Head (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 27, 2015
Managing scuba and instructional staff. Excited staff about scuba diving. Fun place to work. Enjoyable benefits. Improving customer relations with scuba diving.

2.7