Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

overall fun place
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 25, 2016
I'm my opinion I loved working for sport chalet because they didn't open to early or to late and it was enough to get hours !
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Only one person per department
Good experiences
Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 20, 2016
I was sad to see this place go.
- Fun environment
- Enjoyed their employee rental program
I learned a lot from this company, it's a shame they went under.
Was good while it lasted
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2016
The merchandise was better quality and the customer service was excellent! Managers were loyal for so long and most stayed until the very end. Hard working individuals that deserved more than they got. Sad they are closing down.
Horrible work environment run by managers who are unfit
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 18, 2015
Showing up to work you would never know if you would be cut that day or if your shift would be cut short. You would always find yourself having to help out other departments because of management not scheduling workers correctly. You would be told to go do things that you were never formally taught to do just because you were free at the time and one of the managers saw you. I learned that if a customer complains or gets upset that you are suppose to give them what they want and more because the customer is always right. I also learned that even if you are following the rules that management told you to do, if a customer talks to management they will make you look like the bad guy and have the customer seeing you as a fool.
Pros
decent discounts, quality products
Cons
bad work environment, rude managers, low pay, no job security
sport chalet
Sales Associate/ Bike technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 22, 2015
Great coworkers, they were always open to have a little chit chat or give a hand when needed. When I worked there, management was a little unorganized but it was not terrible.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
lousy employee discount
Fun workplace and learning experience
Retail/Register (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working in a restaurant setting. I was able to learn a lot about the industry and each positions' responsibilities. The owner/manager was very friendly and treated me with the utmost respect. I got along with everyone I worked with as well as the customers that came into the restaurant.
Great place to work. Low pay.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  L.A. CaliforniaJanuary 15, 2014
I loved working at Sport Chalet. The culture there is something that Norbert started in 1959 and it all wraps around treating customers well and treating employees well also. Lift tickets are discounted greatly, discounts on sporting goods are drastically discounted. If you love to do sports outside of work, this is the place to work. The pay is drastic and they have not gotten a raise in over 5 years. They have a freeze on raises. I left because I could not eat and be an employee at the same time. I was not able to buy a lot of sporting goods because they didn't pay enough.
Pros
discounts. great people work at all the stores. work with people who love whtat they do.
Cons
you work for almost free.
Very beneficial job although low pay
Floor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Ranch, CAMarch 10, 2014
A typical day of work at sport chalet includes sales, merchandising and conversing with customers face to face. I learned how to manage my time well and how to sell product to a wide variety of customers. Management at Sport Chalet was great. They were always there to help out and were always fair when it came to different scenarios. The hardest part of the job was working out new product on truck days. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with customers about fishing and camping product all day long.
Pros
free rentals, 25 % employee discount
Cons
no pay raise unless promoted
Enjoyable work environment and great management staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 12, 2015
Working for Sport Chalet was a great experience for me! Management was excellent and very interpersonal. A typical day could be very easy while other days could be very chaotic. At times the systems went down management would step in and work with us to get lines down even if that meant manually writing tickets so that we can later ring items out. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the personalities that came thru on daily basis, although with the training easy employee was able to handle frustrating situations in a calm and approached each situation with a positive attitude.
Pros
Discounted items
Cons
only part time positions
Experts
Manager Operations and Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2016
Sport Chalet is always in need of Experts. The employees are great at teaching not only customer but also each other about new adventures and opportunities within their desired sports.
Horrible Management and Corporate Office
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAFebruary 23, 2014
Ever since the owner died this company has turned upside done. All the company does is push credit cards. Regardless of your knowledge of product or how well you help customers, they will not care if you don't sign up credit cards. You will never get a raise nor will you get rewarded for hard work. They don't promote from inside and when they do, its cuz they kiss a** to the DM, who never finished high-school, and they do whatever he says. This company is not profitable and never will be if they continue what they do. I would heavily not recommend not even considering this company for working or even shopping at unless you want to get grilled with credit card offers. If I could give negative stars then I would
Pros
employee discount, pro deals, free rentals
Cons
horrible gm, no raises, horrible dm, horrible business plan, miserable work environment
If you are successful, the job is good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CASeptember 24, 2012
Sport Chalet is a great place to work if you succeed at everything you are required to do. I'd like to consider myself one of their top employees, so it's a fun job for me because I'm not getting yelled at for not doing my job. You are praised by managers when you go above and beyond. If you're just an average joe, managers will treat you pretty bad because numbers are crucial. If I were an average joe, I would hate this job, but I'm not... so I really enjoy it. It all depends on the kind of person you are.

My biggest complaint is pay. I get $8.25 an hour and nothing more. I work my absolute hardest and I do a great job. I deserve a raise, but apparently Sport Chalet has a freeze on raises.
Pros
we usually get the most friendly customers, pro deals, 25% discount, co-workers, fast-pased environment
Cons
pay, short breaks, treated like you're in elementary school by managers
an awesome place to work, all co-workers are outsanding
Department Head /Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 14, 2012
A very fast paced enviroment, but yet very fun. Management is always willing to help and work with your schedule. The training that is provided is like no other, all technology that is in a product is covered when attending a training clinic. Just an outstanding place to work.
Pros
the ability to provide excellent customer service because of product knowledge.
Cons
benefits, pay, promotion
the bad outweighs the good
Dept Head (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CASeptember 20, 2012
Sport Chalet is a terrible place to work. The never appreciate their employees but expect everything from them. The management sucks and the lack of product training is sad. They pride themselves on being the experts when in reality they dont hire people who play the sport or train anymore. The general manager literally hired people off the street the day of inventory. All they are about are conning customers into getting their credit card because Visa gives the company money for every person they sign up. There havent been raises in over 4 years and wont anytime soon all while the CEO rides around in a company tour bus to check in all stores. They schedule you for 6 hour shifts, do not schedule lunches and still expect you to stay longer without a break. There are never enough employees in the store so you are constantly covering two depts at a time.The communication between management and employees is non existant. The medical benefits were cut and the 401k program was lowered and they no longer match anything. They expect you to drop your personal life and be able to work anytime they need you. Dont waste your time, youll be miserable.
Pros
free rentals, some vendor deals
Cons
no raises, no breaks/lunches, no training
Corportate Office
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  la canada, caMarch 22, 2013
I have worked at some multi million dollar companies and this has to be absolutely the WORST office I have worked at in my entire life. I have heard how great the retail end is but the corporate office is run by a manipulating self absorbed idiot that knows nothing. She makes sure no one speaks to one another and that every aspect of the company goes thru her, from HR to admin staff she makes all decisions. Every department is told not to interact with one another and when management starts to feel threatened they get rid of you in a snap. Unfortunately this company pays horribly and has even worse benefits if you need work experience this is the equivalent of working at McDonalds in high school. RUN don't stop hear.
Cons
no support, horrible pay, even worse managers
Lack of training, advancement, and hours.
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 12, 2012
The culture at Sport Chalet is pretty laid back. The co-workers and managers can be easy to get along with (as long as you play favorites). Unfortunately, you will not be working much (as low as 12/hrs/week). It gets worse during the holiday season. The hours are low and Sport Chalet continues to hire new employees. Also, there is a lack of training and career advancement. You won't make it unless you become a favorite and work full-time. If you're looking for a part-time job for a few bucks, then go for it. If you are looking for a career and many hours go elsewhere (try BevMo! or Best Buy).
Pros
employee discount and laid-back culture.
Cons
lack of hours, lack of training, and no career advancement.
Great local company if you love sports
Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CASeptember 6, 2013
I enjoyed my time with Sport Chalet, starting at the store level, then to department management within the store, then to the corporate level. I learned how product moves through the company and is distributed to the stores. I worked with some great people and made some good friends along the way.
Pros
nice benefits, opportunities for special events/items
Cons
advancement can be a slow process
Day in a life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TorranceSeptember 12, 2015
It was cool, minus the fact that when you were closing you didnt know if it would take 1 hour or 3 hours to close. Fun job good pay.... LONG hours..the cashier hours and hours in general are based on credentials started at 40 hours, went down to 8 hours real quick!
Pros
fun
Cons
Fun place to work. Great people to work with.
Ski Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe AZMay 30, 2012
During the winter season I would work in the ski shop. I was in charge of all rentals and customer equipment for 8 sport chalets in Arizona. Customers would bring their equipment in to get tuned and or waxed. I would also repair our rentals and make sure they were in great shape for the customer. During the summer I would run the watersports department. I was in charge of selling product to the customer and moving the department around to best sell certain products. Throughout the year I would run the rental department and was in charge of renting out camping gear, water sport gear: kayaks, waterskis, wakeboards and also winter gear: skis, and snowboards. I would have to do an inventory of the entire store every six months. Inventory the rental department every four months. My main goal everyday was to please the customer and make sure I gave them the best gear that would suit them.
Pros
great deals on products
Cons
short break, raise locks, no set schedule
Bad company to work for! BEWARE!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  BurbankMay 17, 2013
I am wonderful with people! This place sucks the life out of you! You will NEVER get a raise! They stopped giving them 5 years ago. The company is good to work for if you don't expect appreciation. Slave Labor! They want to control your life with giving you endless hours of unappreciated work. You deserve better! Work somewhere else! The benefits are what they give customers. I've worked for companies that give you 60% off ( what is deserved). This company gives you 25%. It isn't worth it! I've been an idiot for 3 years. I won't take it anymore!
Pros
you might make new friends with co- workers
Cons
minimum pay with guaranteed no raises! makes you feel like a immigrant desperate for work.

2.8